Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Checking in after many months, Leviathan is still completely FUBAR but Origins and associated patch are all fine and functional?

Leviathan is no longer FUBAR, but it also isn't really worth buying if you don't have it. Unless you really want to play around with Totemism, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Leviathan has been mostly fine for months now, just with some wonky balance here and there, particularly in the new world. I believe there have been further balance changes to Leviathan's mechanics since, with concentrate development for instance getting another balance pass. Origins seems fine so far. It seems nowhere near as broken and incomplete as Leviathan was. The only major issue I've seen people bring up is the PU thing, which is already fixed in a beta hotfix.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

concentrate development is just such a stupid idea. it should not exist at all, it's impossible to balance - either it's OP or worthless, there's no way to thread the needle.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
honestly the biggest issue with levi IMO was the absolutely zero playtesting that went into pillage capital; it was straight up brokenly OP
especially since you could use it in any peace deal regardless of cb AND cobelligerent didnt matter.
go to war, pillage the capital of every nation youre fighting, end the war, declare a new war against someone else that drags in a nation you just peaced out, pillage them again, rinse repeat
all for like single digit AE per occurrence

theyve "rebalanced" it now but the fact that that poo poo went live shows you paradox doesnt actually play the game the way a player would (if at all)

side note: AI seems broken now? my vassals/PUs have zero liberty desire and are set to siege mode but they go to the rear end end of my nation and sit there doomstacking

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can't wait for Vicky 3: Elizabeth mod tbh. EU4 is shambling along as a corpse.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

concentrate development is just such a stupid idea. it should not exist at all, it's impossible to balance - either it's OP or worthless, there's no way to thread the needle.

;yeah cant say im a fan

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You should just downgrade and play meiou imho

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For all its groggy rep Mayo and Texas is genuinely really good. If you're interested in Vicky you'll like it. The greatest flaw is forcing the mechanics into EU4 gui.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are rebel progress increases decided sometime before the end of the month? I've been sitting with these Jewish zealots at 0% with a 9.9% chance of advancing and I've reloaded a dozen times

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Caustic Soda posted:

Leviathan is no longer FUBAR, but it also isn't really worth buying if you don't have it. Unless you really want to play around with Totemism, I guess.

Currently playing a Cherokee game for No Trail of Tears, which I previously attempted in Leviathan but abandoned when it became clear it was going to be horrendously easy.

It's now a much more interesting campaign, as colonisers actually colonise and breaking out of the the early game Federation web is quite challenging. Although you can't reform directly to an advanced government without feudalism, you can reform into a Horde, start spawning institutions and then reform to a monarchy without relying on colonisers arriving near you.

Once you have an advanced Government you can eat all your neighbours, wait for colonisers to acquire large tracts of land and then eat them too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

canepazzo posted:

Uh, this is new in Origins, right? I never noticed before if not.

The one that doubles relations with everyone of the same faith is pretty bonkers, even though it adds 15 influence to the clergy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For all its groggy rep Mayo and Texas is genuinely really good. If you're interested in Vicky you'll like it. The greatest flaw is forcing the mechanics into EU4 gui.

That's a pretty big flaw. Even forcing vanilla EU4 mechanics into EU4 GUI doesn't work that well. Playing CK3 or even Imperator (though it has its own problems with UI rework not getting a final pass after release) and then returning to EU4 is rough. Mods that present vital information through a series of events activated by decisions are... demanding.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Aethernet posted:

Currently playing a Cherokee game for No Trail of Tears, which I previously attempted in Leviathan but abandoned when it became clear it was going to be horrendously easy.

It's now a much more interesting campaign, as colonisers actually colonise and breaking out of the the early game Federation web is quite challenging. Although you can't reform directly to an advanced government without feudalism, you can reform into a Horde, start spawning institutions and then reform to a monarchy without relying on colonisers arriving near you.

Yah, in 1.31 you could simply migrate around, build the couple of buildings that give bonus gov't reform growth, add tribal land everywhere and reform into a horde by like 1475. (Or alternately, be a settled tribe, fight a few neighbours for clay, reform into a monarchy or republic by 1475.) Now with the tech and institution requirements it's a bit more work. Still, the path to becoming a New World horde doesn't seem prohibitively long or difficult. Then eat everyone and raze everything.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Are rebel progress increases decided sometime before the end of the month? I've been sitting with these Jewish zealots at 0% with a 9.9% chance of advancing and I've reloaded a dozen times

I don't know when that's determined but there's about a 32% chance of the rebellion not advancing 12 times in a row with a 9.9% chance of advancing. Even if you've done it 24 times that's still a bit over 10%. I wouldn't really suspect it's not done at the end/beginning of the month until you've tried at least 50 times.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I hadn't played Leviathan much, after a few hours I can say curry favours is a really good addition, bordering on over-powered, as are favours in general.

Case in point: I'm Mughals, allied to Ottos, I released Syria and Iraq and started eating from Mamluks for their cores. About 7-8 cores remain, but Ottomans have them? Not a problem! 1 for 1 favour to province development and over a few years I got them all bloodlessly and without losing any relations with the Ottos. I haven't checked, but I think they even lose their claims and, having done their missions already, no more permaclaims. E: yeah they lose claim and core. Basically you can stop them from expanding till Absolutism just by being friends with them.

Before that I broke the unholy alliance Russia/Ottos with...you guessed. Favours. And also with favours, 5 years later convinced Ottos to go fight Russia with me.

Favours are really good! I haven't even mentioned that as a Christian you can use favours to put your dynastic heir on someone else's throne, which is hilariously good (tho less so now that PU AE is a bit more iffy)

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 13, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ilitarist posted:

That's a pretty big flaw. Even forcing vanilla EU4 mechanics into EU4 GUI doesn't work that well. Playing CK3 or even Imperator (though it has its own problems with UI rework not getting a final pass after release) and then returning to EU4 is rough. Mods that present vital information through a series of events activated by decisions are... demanding.

counterpoint: *Exaggerated shrug*

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Staltran posted:

I don't know when that's determined but there's about a 32% chance of the rebellion not advancing 12 times in a row with a 9.9% chance of advancing. Even if you've done it 24 times that's still a bit over 10%. I wouldn't really suspect it's not done at the end/beginning of the month until you've tried at least 50 times.

Yeah I was just going to see if anyone else knew before I did commit to doing it fifty times

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Staltran posted:

At least from previous experience, it seems to calculate whether there’s progression at the start of each month. It’s noticeable there because if you’re fast on a pause, you can stop at the first of the month and see the progress for rebels at 100% but before they’ve spawned and be able to use military points to lower their progress. I doubt this has changed since the patch, but I haven’t played it yet.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Mali is fun! Do the right side of your tree to turn back the awful disaster (can do the first two before unpausing,) then expand into a deathball, putting vassals on the other end of the connection tubes through the desert. Colonize brazil and push it to the ivory coast and drown in your inflation, you pig!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

AI Byzantium has won a war against AI Ottomans in 1450 :raise:

Byzantium is allied to Serbia and Herzegovina. Is Herzegovina new? Could they have been the straw that broke the ottomans’ back?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Herzegovina is a starting date country in the Balkans. It sounds more like Serbia's super general got lucky and crushed the Ottos piecemeal.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Any fun/broken starts worth trying so far? I don't have this DLC or the wonders one

e: To switch a merchant from collecting to transferring trade power, now you have to recall the merchant and re-send. Whyyyyyyyy

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 15, 2021

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Vassals and PU subject seem to love tearing down fortifications now. I dunno if it's a debt thing or what.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Herzegovina is a starting date country in the Balkans. It sounds more like Serbia's super general got lucky and crushed the Ottos piecemeal.

You're playing a dangerous game, mixing up Albania and Serbia on the internet. Or any balkan nation, for that matter.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Beta patch is no longer in beta!

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

I wanted to try out this new patch, but I've not played in a while.
Booted up Windows on my MacBook and the game was not installed in Steam.... I don't remember uninstalling it.
Reinstalled the game, click play... get a red error mark next to the play button in the launcher "launching the game failed".

- I did all Windows Updates, checked drivers (Windows Update seems to have taken care of them).
- Uninstalled the game and deleted the folders in steamapps/common/ and /documents/paradox/eu4.
- Unsubscribed all mods from the workshop and deleted the folders from the workshop folder
- reinstalled the game

Still won't launch.

The frustrating thing here is, I've not found any logs or any error messages. I tried different video settings, in case that is the problem but no luck.

Clicking the eu4.exe in the game folder starts the launcher sadly.

Is there still a way to launch EU4 without Paradox launcher?
Anyone have any ideas on how I go about fixing this?

I have this issue too

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Brute Squad posted:

Vassals and PU subject seem to love tearing down fortifications now. I dunno if it's a debt thing or what.

Not just subjects, it seems like any country with debt tears town forts and never builds new ones.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm terribly late but poo poo, I just now learned that atwix is gone. I only knew him from twitch but he was overwhelmingly wholesome and positive and he deserved a lot more time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So I'm trying for Surfing USA. I'm almost at the point where I can start colonizing America as Hawaii, and I can also get my last Government Reform. What type of Government should I go for? Theocracy, Monarchy, Republic, or Horde?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Why do you even have to ask? Horde, obviously

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Is there anything to raze in the americas? I honestly don't know as I've barely ever played in them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol gotta restart from the beginnig anyway. I shouldn't have colonized Midway.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006
Why not?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

IYKK posted:

Why not?

To be able to move your Capital, it needs to be the only Province stated. By colonizing Midway, I now had two provinces. And I couldn't sell it or give it away.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

To be able to move your Capital, it needs to be the only Province stated. By colonizing Midway, I now had two provinces. And I couldn't sell it or give it away.

Why not just unstate Midway? You can always state it again later.

Currently trying for the same achievement- is there any way of doing the mission that requires over 65 loyalty and under 40 influence for all estates without hunting down trade goods for monopolies?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Oh hey. Nations released through peace treaty are now guaranteed by the winner for free. That's nice.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Aethernet posted:

Currently trying for the same achievement- is there any way of doing the mission that requires over 65 loyalty and under 40 influence for all estates without hunting down trade goods for monopolies?

Sell you crownland.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aethernet posted:

Well you see Midway is in the same State as Hawaii, and as such cannot be unstated.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Go to war with someone, win, and force them to take the province in the peace deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Firebatgyro posted:

Go to war with someone, win, and force them to take the province in the peace deal

Or restart and this time don't colonize Midway.