Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I love Gramb Thrift Auto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Hogama posted:

There was at least enough of a personal touch to completely replace some graphics (the hot dog is a completely different look here).

Welcome to Strickland Propane where you taste the meat not the heat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

looks good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Scalding Coffee posted:

A man who never eats top buns is never a whole man.

Why don't you have a top bun in your hand?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/status/1459472965381378050

Whoops.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jesus Christ I was kidding

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Steam Thread: The Definitive Edition (Top Bun Inside)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blattdorf posted:

Steam Thread: The Definitive Edition (The Taste of a Real Man's Heat)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are some pretty boring remasters out there so at least they aren’t that

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

lordfrikk posted:

I was kinda considering the "remasters" before they were released

why

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKJur8wpfYM

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They left in the music they lost the rights to, and even put the ridiculous sex scenes back in? The collection's practically worth :filez:ing just for historic value at this point.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

repiv posted:

It's most likely their lawyers having a panic attack after they realised they shipped unlicensed music

The songs that were cut from this release were just dummied out, the actual files are still there

Right and apparently they weren't even properly dummied out; while they were gone from the car radio playlists you'd still hear them sometimes inside stores, etc.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Re: Yakuza difficulty, I think Medium was probably the sweet spot for me, but back when I mainlined Yakuza 0/Kiwami/Kiwami 2 I think I eventually dropped it to Easy because I had already spent like 70 hours on 0 and just wanted to push through the next two games to see the rest of the story. The combat is really fun, but the technical aspect of it never clicked with me enough to make the harder modes feel rewarding. If you're early on in 0 and feel a little underpowered though, you probably are -- until you unlock a few styles and moves you're working with only a very small portion of the game's total kit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ash-intensifies

I can't wait to see how the upcoming PS5 release of GTA V will be messed up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I genuinely wonder what the budget for this thing was

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fallom posted:

I genuinely wonder what the budget for this thing was

Well to use a contemporary answer, bout $3.50

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seems good to me

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That'll probably just be the same base but with the graphical settings cranked higher, which is a lot harder to mess up

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Mr. Fortitude posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ash-intensifies

To be fair to Rockstar, the abomination that is GTA Online has resulted in an extremely complicated game with an insane number of moving pieces that were never foreseen. It'd be very difficult to not mess it up, especially because the are probably few to no people from the original dev team involved in the GTA Online cash farm project. As a result of those factors, they've already broken a lot of poo poo over time - in game web sites, AI behavior, graphics, etc. So they've started from an already broken codebase, but it's possible that to implement new visual features they're using a somewhat more talented team and more QA and so maybe some things will get fixed or nothing new will get broken - but probably not.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i love that avatar, and that man :allears:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So this disaster of remaster got me to try again to mod Vice City and I got it running beautifully in widescreen, all music intact, 60FPS, (somewhat) GTA4 style controls and bigger draw distance (might look for mods that raise that even more). All I wanted essentially, not sure why my previous tries always ended up crashing immediately on startup. I followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amt8mrC0Fgs and just removed the camera movement mod and replaced it with GInput https://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=24272. Gonna try the same for SA, but it's really VC I wanted to replay.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Thanks for all the tips for Yakuza 0, all: it's definitely helping me with my journey.

Despite all the help, though, common battles on the street were incredibly frustrating affairs where I was fighting enemies that stuck together like glue and out-prioritized all my attacks with an endless barrage that stunlocked me to death. I mean, on one hand, I was like, yeah, I am playing on hard and this is a kind of realistic outcome of a 1-against-many fight where getting knocked down is death since they'll keep you down, and I should play strategically by always avoiding encirclements and forcing a 1-on-1 as much as possible, but it got to the point where I knew something had to be wrong: no common fight should be this egregious, hard or not. And sure enough, I found the solution: it was because I equipped the charismatic autobiography. Those damned yanki that gifted it to me!

Seriously, what a beginner's trap equipping that was: it honestly made me consider quitting the game forever when I really didn't want to, so I'm glad I figured it out. What bothers me the most, at the risk of sounding like sour grapes, is everyone is so smug and tutting victims like me about 'not reading the item description' as if it was incredibly obvious that it makes all enemies turn into gods among men. Hopefully they are just joking, because to me, "those who see it are likely to attack you and try to take it from you by force," just sounds like it would make random encounters on the street happen more often, or that they'd chase you down harder, or that they're more difficult to stealth by.

Now, it didn't fix it altogether as I still found the combat stiff and awkward before and after I equipped that book, but I'm glad I got that cleared up. At least it had the positive benefit of making everything practically a cakewalk now since I had to get used to battling gods among men!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 13, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

You've probably discovered this already, but you can open your inventory in combat and use as many items as you want while the game is paused. If you think a tough encounter is coming up, just fill your inventory with staminan and you should be pretty much unbeatable.

The game also gets dramatically easier as it goes- there are some late early/early midgame things that turbo-charge your ability to unlock abilities, and it eventually hits a point where you're Kiryu: God Of War and every boss in the game is made of tissue paper.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

FutureCop posted:

Thanks for all the tips for Yakuza 0, all: it's definitely helping me with my journey.

Despite all the help, though, common battles on the street were incredibly frustrating affairs where I was fighting enemies that stuck together like glue and out-prioritized all my attacks with an endless barrage that stunlocked me to death. I mean, on one hand, I was like, yeah, I am playing on hard and this is a kind of realistic outcome of a 1-against-many fight where getting knocked down is death since they'll keep you down, and I should play strategically by always avoiding encirclements and forcing a 1-on-1 as much as possible, but it got to the point where I knew something had to be wrong: no common fight should be this egregious, hard or not. And sure enough, I found the solution: it was because I equipped the charismatic autobiography. Those damned yanki that gifted it to me!

Seriously, what a beginner's trap equipping that was: it honestly made me consider quitting the game forever when I really didn't want to, so I'm glad I figured it out. What bothers me the most, at the risk of sounding like sour grapes, is everyone is so smug and tutting victims like me about 'not reading the item description' as if it was incredibly obvious that it makes all enemies turn into gods among men. Hopefully they are just joking, because to me, "those who see it are likely to attack you and try to take it from you by force," just sounds like it would make random encounters on the street happen more often, or that they'd chase you down harder, or that they're more difficult to stealth by.

Now, it didn't fix it altogether as I still found the combat stiff and awkward before and after I equipped that book, but I'm glad I got that cleared up. At least it had the positive benefit of making everything practically a cakewalk now since I had to get used to battling gods among men!

You must learn the way of the bicycle.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I personally find the Yaks much more enjoyable on Easy, the combat never felt good to me. I think it's because enemies tend not to telegraph their attacks much and pausing to chug potions to mitigate that is tedious. Plus on Easy, Kiryu actually feels like the unstoppable force that the narrative implies that he is.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

I haven't played 3, VC, or SA since release so I naively hoped these remasters might actually be passable.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Steam Thread: teste david cum sybilla.mp4

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://twitter.com/NationalPepper/status/1459570425218928644?s=20
:rip:

Doesn't seem likely the controversy would get the same kind of airtime in 2021 anyway although it might have caused them problems in places like Australia.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 13, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Looking through the Hot Coffee settlement stuff, I noticed that Take Two claimed in late 2007 that the PC version only made up about 1% of GTA San Andreas' sales.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081209094058/http://www.gtasettlement.com/docs/GTA%20Class%20Action%20Settlement%20Agreement.pdf

quote:

The Hot Coffee elements were (a) inaccessible to users until a third-party developed and released software to modify, combine, and display the elements and (b) only accessible to consumers that purposefully took steps to modify their game with third party hardware and/or software. In order to display the Hot Coffee content, a user who possessed the personal computer version of the game (about 1% of total units sold) had to download and install a third-party modification, while a user of one of the two console versions of the game (playable on Microsoft’s “Xbox” or Sony’s “PlayStation 2” consoles), had to purchase and correctly program a third-party device that attached to their console. (All of these methods of modifying the Grand Theft auto: San Andreas game have become known collectively as the “Hot Coffee Mod.”)

Take Two mentioned in March 2008 (when EA was trying to buy them out) that the game had sold 21.5 million copies in 4 years. So PC was around 200K of that.

GTA V is currently sitting at 155 million copies shipped and the PS5/Series X|S versions are coming soon. It is currently averaging 10 million a year, being a game originally released in 2011.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
gently caress I love janky European CRPGs.

I finally got around to giving Elex a chance. I was a big fan of Gothic back in the day.

So Gothic was like this story about how you're trapped in a place with three tribes and one like really loves magic and the other doesn't and the third one is just kinda weird and obsessed with drugs.

Then they made Risen, which was like this story about how you're trapped on an island with three tribes and one like really loves nature poo poo and the other doesn't and the third one is just kinda weird and obsessed with drugs.

So anyway now I'm onto Elex which is like this story about how you're trapped on a planet with three tribes and one like really loves technology and the other doesn't and the third one is just kinda weird and obsessed with drugs.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My body is ready for elex 2 in march

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Elex is a game about how everything in the world will kick your rear end and be janky as gently caress about it until you uninstall it because gently caress that noise.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

credburn posted:

gently caress I love janky European CRPGs.

I finally got around to giving Elex a chance. I was a big fan of Gothic back in the day.

So Gothic was like this story about how you're trapped in a place with three tribes and one like really loves magic and the other doesn't and the third one is just kinda weird and obsessed with drugs.

Then they made Risen, which was like this story about how you're trapped on an island with three tribes and one like really loves nature poo poo and the other doesn't and the third one is just kinda weird and obsessed with drugs.

So anyway now I'm onto Elex which is like this story about how you're trapped on a planet with three tribes and one like really loves technology and the other doesn't and the third one is just kinda weird and obsessed with drugs.

In Gothic 2 you could hide behind a tree smoking a joint while your comrades killed the swamp dragon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I will offer the caveat that I played all the yakuza games on easy, but I got a lot of mileage out of Kiryu's square square square triangle combo in 0 and kiwami 1 on brawler style. No nonsense combo that knocks enemies down iirc, always good in a pinch

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

haldolium posted:

In Gothic 2 you could hide behind a tree smoking a joint while your comrades killed the swamp dragon.

Is Gothic 2 the one where you can beat the game by walking up to the final boss in the first minute of the game, aggroing them, pulling them to the nearby town guards and letting them kill you so that all of the guards and townspeople started dogpiling them, then respawning and standing around for a few minutes while they whittle the boss down and the final cutscene plays?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is Gothic 2 the one where you can beat the game by walking up to the final boss in the first minute of the game, aggroing them, pulling them to the nearby town guards and letting them kill you so that all of the guards and townspeople started dogpiling them, then respawning and standing around for a few minutes while they whittle the boss down and the final cutscene plays?

That's Two worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9P6mvhjnAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I feel like I once saw that Gothic 2 can also be beat in a stupidly short time by way of such gimmicks but I don't know. Been a long time. I never did play Gothic 3 or Risen 2 or 3.