Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

AnEdgelord posted:

Not surprising, From had changes to the game world as the story progressed in their past three titles (bloodborne, dark souls 3, and sekiro though it was just a skybox change in ds3). An open world game allows them to go even harder on that idea.

Also with Lance referring to “cut content”, there are several places in several games where level geometry was changed during development, but the lower LOD versions used off in the distance were never updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Shirkelton posted:

You can swap them out at will.

Are they basically gems where you never lose them but you only have one copy? Like you have one Parry and one Divine Strike and while you can swap them on/off whatever it's a limited quantity based on weapons/loose arts you've found?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
How long does it take to get network test approval?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Game’s too loving hard. I quit. gently caress this

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

About 2 weeks late there bud

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Alan Smithee posted:

I doubt you could even imagine it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mailer posted:

Are they basically gems where you never lose them but you only have one copy? Like you have one Parry and one Divine Strike and while you can swap them on/off whatever it's a limited quantity based on weapons/loose arts you've found?

It’s more like you can slot one in and overwrite the weapon/shield’s ability and sometimes it’s damage type and scaling while it’s installed.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Harriet Carker posted:

Agreed, and I hope the dungeons in Elden Ring have the same feeling. I adored Sekiro but the "shortcuts" you unlock were all so laughable, and many had warp points just seconds away. I never got the sense of relief from find a cool loop back to safety.

The modern design philosophy of FROM games has been to make shortcuts not between entire levels/regions, but within levels. Take for instance Nightmare of Mensis, you unlock 4 elevators as you progress, 2 of which literally chain to one another. Or Grand Archives of DS3, as you progress through the level, you unlock a ladder, an elevator, another ladder, another elevator, and finally an elevator linking to a completely seperate map (so seperate that it is fog walled off when playing MP). Or consider Ashes of Ariandel DLC, from the Snowy Mountain Pass, you progressively unlock an elevator, two bridges, and a door to a seperate bonfire.

FROM wants to do these tricks but they're constrained by their need to place warpable checkpoints everywhere. So they make expansive maps, limit how many checkpoints there are, then add shortcuts as connective tissue that you need to stent through.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
bosses I have done: tree sentinel, that one in the dungeon that’s two people but one is super loving easy, the massive troll one in another dungeon
bosses I have found but not killed: margit the fell omen, pumpkin head, big-rear end dragon, bloodhound knight

hoping I’ll get good enough to beat Margit by the end of the last session. it’s crazy difficult but in the best way. really cool boss. this game owns.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 13, 2021

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
they left in the one shot kill on the demon of hatred in sekiro so they better leave this dragon fall kill in

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlvhfHlgpmE

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Harrow posted:

The issue I have with magic builds in DS3 is that it basically makes you use every single part of your build to get good damage out of spells. You need to have multiple ring slots and multiple weapon slots all devoted just to increasing your spell damage to get good damage with spells, and it really screws up any flexibility you might have. It's a lot less fun, for me at least, to just know I have to stack damage bonuses for my build with every slot available to me.

Depends on the build, pyro is really strong as soon as you grab that lava orb spell which is early on.
Faith miracles are always really useful but you aren't gonna be dealing damage with spells primarily but you can heal and cleanse yourself. All your support spells are aoe too which is extremely cool for coop.
Sorceror you do have to spec hard to deal damage at first but you can also stealth thru entire maps with no fall damage to trivialise whole zones, then you get the good damage spells and take off.

Imo like all ds3 builds they all benefit hugely from bringing a giant 2h weapon with you infused to whatever your build is.
Imo that's why magic is so strong in ds3, you get to use the best (I.e. Hugest) weapons with loads of damage but also while having loads of utility spells and/or ranged damage.
Particularly for pyro where there's at least one S/S scaling greatsword, unless it got nerfed.
But you've also got lothric knight greatsword for faith and moonlight GS for int

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 13, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This is going to be the best game ever made

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ds3 has some really good catalyst weapons too, you can get the pick pretty early and it works really well with sorcery especially the weapon simulacra spells

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/cataferal/status/1459316814081671174?s=21

Ah from soft never change

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Hopefully From can give it a good tune up by the time it releases, but I won’t get my hopes up. Hopefully saves can transfer between PS4 and PS5 versions.

Edit: I envy the people who can’t tell the difference between 480i at 20fps and 4k120.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 13, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Is there pyromancy in the demo? Is it any good?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mesadoram posted:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My main plan for session 3 is to find the rest of the Limgrave sites of grace listed on fextralife. I think I’m missing about 4 or 5. If I get that done, it might be time to go back and retry some bosses I ran away from before….

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The modern design philosophy of FROM games has been to make shortcuts not between entire levels/regions, but within levels. Take for instance Nightmare of Mensis, you unlock 4 elevators as you progress, 2 of which literally chain to one another. Or Grand Archives of DS3, as you progress through the level, you unlock a ladder, an elevator, another ladder, another elevator, and finally an elevator linking to a completely seperate map (so seperate that it is fog walled off when playing MP). Or consider Ashes of Ariandel DLC, from the Snowy Mountain Pass, you progressively unlock an elevator, two bridges, and a door to a seperate bonfire.

FROM wants to do these tricks but they're constrained by their need to place warpable checkpoints everywhere. So they make expansive maps, limit how many checkpoints there are, then add shortcuts as connective tissue that you need to stent through.

Cathedral of the Deep is the absolute most perfect expression of this design philosophy imo. One bonfire, right at the start, and half a dozen shortcuts looping back to it again and agai.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

For me Bloodborne was the king of shortcut unlocking. Felt about as good and sometimes better than beating a boss.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

skasion posted:

I doubt you could even imagine it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Popped onto a stream for a second and they had the pumpkin head helmet equipped so this is the GOAT.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Dabir posted:

Cathedral of the Deep is the absolute most perfect expression of this design philosophy imo. One bonfire, right at the start, and half a dozen shortcuts looping back to it again and agai.

I hated this level, it never felt right to me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Game owns

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I guess I got really lucky because I killed Margit on my first try. I see others talking about how hard he is, but didn't feel that bad to me.

Tree Guardian, on the other hand. Probably died like 20 times. I kinda hate mounted combat, it hasn't really clicked with me yet.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Mounted combat feels p good to me, for mounted combat

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i've been mostly avoiding a lot of elden ring talk because i wanted the game to feel fresh and slightly confusing when it came out, but now i've seen like 3 minutes of gameplay and i wanna play it immediately

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:eyepop:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

story of my life pal

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Many will try to take over elden ring with their cliche innuendos, but to the true dark souls memers I say: Dont give up , skeleton!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Pyromancy is part of miracles now and it’s very good.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Qmass posted:

anyone that went faith did you have trouble with the beast claw spell missing if an enemy was too close ?

No, except for not being able to get it off in time. It does not appear to work when you’re standing in water, though.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Harrow posted:

Pyromancy is part of miracles now and it’s very good.

:allears:

This makes me so happy for some many reasons.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Groovelord Neato posted:

For me Bloodborne was the king of shortcut unlocking. Felt about as good and sometimes better than beating a boss.
the shortcut unlocking in nioh 2 is so weird. the only use of them is like, if you could come back to the stage later and use them, because the checkpoints are right near them and are always pointless. but shortcuts reset when you leave a stage so

Relin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 14, 2021

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Dabir posted:

Cathedral is great. Lots of spots for good fuckery, nice variety in builds for invasions around that level. Great time and place to get the 30 dregs of humanity from invading.

Man Elden Ring is gonna own. I have seen the least gameplay of the warrior but that armor a d play style look sick.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Relin posted:

the shortcut unlocking in nioh 2 is so weird. the only use of them is like, if you could come back to the stage later and use them, because the checkpoints are right near them and are always pointless. but shortcuts reset when you leave a stage so

No, they're there so you can use a shrine and save or level up and get your items and spells and poo poo restocked before continuing the level without having to kill all the enemies the long way again.

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 14, 2021

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone adapted their play style to include the new moves/weaponarts/jumping/whatever?

I see a lot of tactics in pvp and pve that are typical of souls games. Has the meta just not caught up yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The meta of a small percentage of the playerbase after a few days of playtime with limited weapons and spells?

What are you missing? Spamming jump between attacks?