Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is the RP zero W as a pihole? Would the wireless aspect have too much latency?

I see there are ways to give it ethernet, but I really would want a case for it, but I am not seeing much unless you have a 3D printer...

I used one for a while with a USB Ethernet adapter. It worked a treat. I even had a case for it but I can't remember who I got it from.

Edit: it was this case though I actually got it in a "kit" with power cord, some adapters, etc that was on sale for less than the sum of the cost of those parts individually. Point being, shop around.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I buy my SD cards from B&H I've not had any SD card issues ever that I can recall. B&H is a top tier professional photography & consumer electronics shop with their own warehouses etc

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is there a good way to splice a USB+more connector into an existing cable? I need 6 pins, the supply cable also has 6 wires, but they need to be split up after the connector. I am currently using a pretty big "normal" JST or something connector, but I am seeing data errors on the webcam stream, so I need to somehow improve the transmission quality. Should I use an RJ45 after all?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I buy my SD cards from B&H I've not had any SD card issues ever that I can recall. B&H is a top tier professional photography & consumer electronics shop with their own warehouses etc
And a bunch of real racist owners. But they do have that cool conveyor belt system, I guess.
Everything sucks in one way or another.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is the RP zero W as a pihole? Would the wireless aspect have too much latency?

I see there are ways to give it ethernet, but I really would want a case for it, but I am not seeing much unless you have a 3D printer...

I have a usb to ethernet adapter hanging off mine and it works fine as a pihole. I couldnt get a wireless version as they were out of stock.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Has anyone picked up the “Zero 2” that just came out?

Any interesting projects anyone is doing with that one?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Absolutely. I just put an RaSCSI hat on it and it’s emulating a whole set of SCSI disks for my Akai Sampler. Killer application as it’s tiny, wireless, and fast enough to not be bogged down by bitbanging SCSI commands over GPIO ports. Not like this is a super high performance application, but it’s a very cheap solution compared to everything else I could put together.

The tiny form factor means I can very easily toss it into an old external SCSI enclosure, along with a small fan, to look the part.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Martytoof posted:

Absolutely. I just put an RaSCSI hat on it and it’s emulating a whole set of SCSI disks for my Akai Sampler. Killer application as it’s tiny, wireless, and fast enough to not be bogged down by bitbanging SCSI commands over GPIO ports. Not like this is a super high performance application, but it’s a very cheap solution compared to everything else I could put together.

The tiny form factor means I can very easily toss it into an old external SCSI enclosure, along with a small fan, to look the part.

Huh, I wonder if I could use that as an external SCSI drive on an old Mac Performa. Not sure exactly why I would want to do that, but it would be a lot more capable than the old Jaz drive I had plugged in there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

And a bunch of real racist owners. But they do have that cool conveyor belt system, I guess.
Everything sucks in one way or another.

Option B is Adorama I guess, I don't know what their political/social leanings are though

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Option B is Adorama I guess, I don't know what their political/social leanings are though
I think also owned by jewish folks, just not the rabidly intolerant kind.

The B&H owners have been sued by their own employees *repeatedly*, *and* by the dep of labor. Adorama's had nothing of the kind.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a good way to splice a USB+more connector into an existing cable? I need 6 pins, the supply cable also has 6 wires, but they need to be split up after the connector. I am currently using a pretty big "normal" JST or something connector, but I am seeing data errors on the webcam stream, so I need to somehow improve the transmission quality. Should I use an RJ45 after all?
USB 1.x you can get away with murder. I have a set of USB 1.1 DDR pads that I literally cut the USB cable in half, twisted the ends to 15ish feet of random Cat5 I had around, taped it all together, and they still work over a decade later.

USB 2.x is somewhat picky but if you use quality parts you can still rig together something that works pretty easily. Crimp on an appropriate ethernet end and I'd expect it to communicate.

USB 3.x gets complicated.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

TVs Ian posted:

Huh, I wonder if I could use that as an external SCSI drive on an old Mac Performa. Not sure exactly why I would want to do that, but it would be a lot more capable than the old Jaz drive I had plugged in there.

That sort of thing works great, I even bought a tiny case from Etsy for my RASCSI setup that looks like Apple hardware from that period. I also built aRASCSI with a PiZero that’s set up to work in a PowerBook Duo that originally came with a 2.5” SCSI drive. They’re amazingly versatile.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

You CAN! It's so good. The WebUI means you can do things like copying ISOs to the Pi over the network and mounting them, etc. Super versatile.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Martytoof posted:

I mean I'm sure there are equivalent places here without resorting to cross-border shipping so I take your point, but how is this any different from buying an SD card at BestBuy, for example? Is the implication that one vets its cards and the other doesn't?

xzzy posted:

The issue is that Amazon's third party seller scheme lets them sell whatever stock shows up from anyone and if the label is the same it all gets tossed in one bin to be distributed as people buy them.

There's no proof that BestBuy does a better job but the thinking is that they only take stock from the legit manufacturer (eg, SanDisk).

In the case of MicroCenter they also sell SD cards under their own branding, so my assumption is that they have some degree of involvement and oversight in their sourcing and supply chain, etc. whereas a bigger, more hands-off retailer or sales aggregator might not.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Has anyone picked up the “Zero 2” that just came out?

Any interesting projects anyone is doing with that one?

I replaced my zero 1 with a 2 running only homebridge and it’s been night and day with the improvements of speed/power

Homekit is more responsive and video is doable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is homekit a drop in replacement for Google home/Alexa/whatever apples offering is (Siri?) or am I just being wildly optimistic

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Is homekit a drop in replacement for Google home/Alexa/whatever apples offering is (Siri?) or am I just being wildly optimistic

I don’t know how it interacts with the other but it allows unsupported devices to be on homekit. I use it for nest and Vivint.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Hello, I have a dumb question that is probably googlable, I just don't know how to word it.

I have a Pi that is connected to my network that I either remote desktop into or use SteamLink to show stuff on my TV (which it is connected to via HDMI). What I want to do is remote desktop into the Pi and have it play, say, something on YouTube while I'm working on my real computer. Obviously, that doesn't work because the remote desktop is a different instance to the output that is going to the TV. Is there any way to open a window via a remote desktop that will also open on the output to the TV?

This may be confusing, I'm hungover and may not be able to parse the situation correctly.

Edit: I found out I can do this with VNC Viewer, if someone could tell me if this is a terrible idea please let me know.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 13, 2021

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Here's an alternative setup to explore

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/raspberry-pi-chromecast/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Here's what I'd try: put VLC on the Pi, set it to auto-run at startup of the desktop session. Turn on VLC's built-in web remote control. VLC can play video direct from youtube, as long as you don't mind that you get 720p video. Bonus, no ads!

Downside is it can't handle a youtube playlist url directly. (Of course you can just add the video urls to VLC's playlist, with a mild amount of copy and paste.) So it depends on what stuff you're playing from youtube whether this would be acceptable or super annoying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The DHCP lease on the VM IP got released I was using for the raspberry pi, and now I can't access the pi outside of the VM anymore.

I assigned the IP ranges back, even assigned a static IP via DHCP via ddwrt, and I still can't do it, man I'm grumpy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I just picked up one of those m.2 Argon cases and a drive to go with it. I’m angling to use one of my extra Pi4s as a workstation machine instead of ssh-ing to my NAS host. I know I won’t get the full range of performance there, but it should be zippy enough to putter around and no more SD card go boom.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warbird posted:

I just picked up one of those m.2 Argon cases and a drive to go with it. I’m angling to use one of my extra Pi4s as a workstation machine instead of ssh-ing to my NAS host. I know I won’t get the full range of performance there, but it should be zippy enough to putter around and no more SD card go boom.

I fantasize about cramming one into the body of my old Asus netbook. I live the form factor and shape.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

HomeKit until very recently required a validation chip in the home hardware so lots of Alexa/google home devices didn't support HomeKit. You can use homebridge to act as a proxy but I've found it unreliable. Check your household automation devices to verify if they have native HomeKit support.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got an SD card finally for the "Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 2" I have, installed the desktop version, and holy moly lol

Well I know now this version of the raspberry pi technically "can" be used as a desktop, but I wouldn't suggest anyone actually do. Only uses 155mb of ram (including task manager running, terminal), so probably less if it was a headless client, but the CPU....man, the CPU is awful for this.

Anyways, that was a neat test, except my new samsung card was giving input/output errors, greeeeaaaat

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh wait is homekit an open source project, or holy gently caress, is that what apple named their home automation line of products

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Got myself a Pi Zero 2 with the intention of putting together a fun little railway timetable display but more recently I found out that Kodi will play DVD iso files as if it was a DVD player with the disc in the drive (as in full menus and features) I’ve been wanting something with that functionality (that wasn’t a pc with VLC) for a while so I’ve been trying to get Libreelec onto the Pi Zero 2 but with no luck at the moment does anyone know how I can get it to work?

I’ve managed to get it working and playing ISO’s on an old Pi 1 but it’s quite slow I’m hoping the Zero 2 will be a bit faster….

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pi 1 -> Pi Zero 2 is pretty significant, I think you'll be happy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gaz2k21 posted:

Got myself a Pi Zero 2 with the intention of putting together a fun little railway timetable display but more recently I found out that Kodi will play DVD iso files as if it was a DVD player with the disc in the drive (as in full menus and features) I’ve been wanting something with that functionality (that wasn’t a pc with VLC) for a while so I’ve been trying to get Libreelec onto the Pi Zero 2 but with no luck at the moment does anyone know how I can get it to work?

I’ve managed to get it working and playing ISO’s on an old Pi 1 but it’s quite slow I’m hoping the Zero 2 will be a bit faster….

LibreELEC developers say that the nightly builds for Pi 2 have supported the Zero 2 for a few weeks, so grab one from here: https://test.libreelec.tv/

They did note that the RAM might be a bit tight for some use cases.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Oh wait is homekit an open source project, or holy gently caress, is that what apple named their home automation line of products

HomeKit isn't open sourced. Homebridge just acts as a bridge to connect devices that aren't HomeKit supported into HomeKit so now I can use the home app to control Nest or whatever and not have to go into individual apps to do things or have them work with Siri

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I have what's probably a dumb question but haven't found a walkthrough for the specific thing I'm looking for. Soon I'll have a spare Pi 3B+, and I want it to do the following things:
- connect to my wireless router;
- manage that connection for systems connected to a gigabit switch, and also run pi-hole.

I could probably do a cable drop, but this should be less hassle. Let me know your suggestions.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

wolrah posted:

LibreELEC developers say that the nightly builds for Pi 2 have supported the Zero 2 for a few weeks, so grab one from here: https://test.libreelec.tv/

They did note that the RAM might be a bit tight for some use cases.

I’ve tried a few of those and only get a rainbow screen I’m not sure which one exactly is supposed to work

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gaz2k21 posted:

I’ve tried a few of those and only get a rainbow screen I’m not sure which one exactly is supposed to work

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/24778-raspberry-pi-zero-2-w/
This thread seems to be the most detailed discussion.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

Warbird posted:

I also picked up one of these not long ago. Wasn’t able to get any HDMI signal from the little expansion board, even though everything’s fine when using the micro HDMI directly. Tried different cables, even got a replacement board, and no dice.

Was there anything needed to make the thing work, where I’m just a dummy? It sure seems intended to be plug and play.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's a seemingly common fault on those where some of the HDMI pins are erroneously shorted to ground, so you must have got unlucky with QC twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRNxv2CfLtI

Should be easy enough to fix if you have basic soldering gear though

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh interesting. I’ve not had that issue, but I’ve not tried video out either. I did manage to screw up the USB booting so I need to get around to pulling the SD and trying again.

One thing I don’t follow is that all the guides I’ve seen assume you’re using the GUI and some
tool that comes with it to copy everything over to the USB boot location. I need to sit down and spend an afternoon tinkering to see if I can get that sorted out. I suppose I could use the daughter board and an extender and just flash the OS to the m.2 directly, but that remains to be seen.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cool: buying a new DAC Hat that does sound a lot better
not cool: it doesnt fit with my existing stamped steel case
very cool: my cyberpunk looking Hifi box with exposed PCB and film transistors.

Nuurd
Apr 21, 2005

repiv posted:

There's a seemingly common fault on those where some of the HDMI pins are erroneously shorted to ground, so you must have got unlucky with QC twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRNxv2CfLtI

Should be easy enough to fix if you have basic soldering gear though

Appreciate the link! Mine doesn’t look quite like that, but there are some pins which might not be completely correct.

I’ve never soldered anything, which makes me shameful. I might could ask a friend for assistance, we’ll see how it goes.

Thanks!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This might be a weird question, but here goes: I have a Pi (I think it's a 3 or a 3+) that I don't use. A big part of why I didn't get into it was because it was a nuisance to have to physically plug and unplug the thing to turn it on and off. Well, I was reminded of it when I saw LGR do a video on a hobbyist mini computer which had a similar 'always powered' type thing. Well, he addressed that annoyance with a USB power adapter with an in-line power switch in it. I had no idea this sort of thing existed, though if I thought about it for even one femptosecond I should have realized that people could use those.

Before I grab something online, I got a few questions:
  • Do I need to know anything for compatibility before getting this, besides which USB end it has? My guess is no because USB is just an open standard and all it's doing is transferring power anyway.
  • This is more outside the scope of a Pi, but does anyone know if this alters the power consumption of leaving it plugged in all the time but off? I've been trying to not leave my device chargers stuck in walls to save energy both for my bill and the environment. However, this has been pretty inconvenient to keeping my phone charged, so I might consider getting something similar if it would actually be meaningfully different than the charges I already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Magnetic North posted:

This might be a weird question, but here goes: I have a Pi (I think it's a 3 or a 3+) that I don't use. A big part of why I didn't get into it was because it was a nuisance to have to physically plug and unplug the thing to turn it on and off. Well, I was reminded of it when I saw LGR do a video on a hobbyist mini computer which had a similar 'always powered' type thing. Well, he addressed that annoyance with a USB power adapter with an in-line power switch in it. I had no idea this sort of thing existed, though if I thought about it for even one femptosecond I should have realized that people could use those.

Before I grab something online, I got a few questions:
  • Do I need to know anything for compatibility before getting this, besides which USB end it has? My guess is no because USB is just an open standard and all it's doing is transferring power anyway.
  • This is more outside the scope of a Pi, but does anyone know if this alters the power consumption of leaving it plugged in all the time but off? I've been trying to not leave my device chargers stuck in walls to save energy both for my bill and the environment. However, this has been pretty inconvenient to keeping my phone charged, so I might consider getting something similar if it would actually be meaningfully different than the charges I already have.

Leaving USB chargers in consumes ~no energy. This isn't 1990, we have better technology now. Turn off your displays and speakers when not in use, that's pretty much it.

And you can check if people have experiences with the cable and a Pi - the 3 is a bit touchy about power and the switch cable could be a problem if it is especially poor in quality.