Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Edit: Also Nito got even more screwed over with regards to lack of lore

It honestly still blows me away that Nito has basically gently caress all for lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

John Murdoch posted:

It honestly still blows me away that Nito has basically gently caress all for lore.

He was the first of the Dead, then he died. The end.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
"First of the Dead" is such an evocative phrase that you need zero extra explanation. This is the power of Dark Souls writing

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Ah, but you’re forgetting the DS2 NG+ deep lore: The Rotten inherited the power of Nito’s calcium-rich soul - then was repeatedly murdered, bonfire ascetic’d, and murdered again, ad infinitum.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Got that storytellers staff first try and am now poisoning everything I can let's go

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
As a random aside, I would love to see what a modern Kings Field/Dark Tower/Eternal Ring would be like.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Ah, but you’re forgetting the DS2 NG+ deep lore: The Rotten inherited the power of Nito’s calcium-rich soul - then was repeatedly murdered, bonfire ascetic’d, and murdered again, ad infinitum.

And after churning through many many cycles eventually ate the whole goddamn Gwyndolin.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Vintersorg posted:

PS - I feel like we need to combine all the Souls threads into one instead of spreading out all this discussion but maybe that's come up before.

I think it's more :effort: than anything at this point, but it is impressive how these games have sustained active threads for all their individual games for so long.

axolotl farmer posted:

He was the first of the Dead, then he died. The end.

Hey now, before he died he mad the Fenitos and Milfanitos to babysit zombies for all eternity.

Mesadoram posted:

As a random aside, I would love to see what a modern Kings Field/Dark Tower/Eternal Ring would be like.

Coward FromSoft won't release Shadow Tower: Abyss in the west

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Iyh7mxr1E

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

gently caress these little thrall fuckers in the rear end

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nuns with Guns posted:

Coward FromSoft won't release Shadow Tower: Abyss in the west

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Iyh7mxr1E

Everything can use more gun.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

gently caress these little thrall fuckers in the rear end

Get a shield, they bounce right off it. The rare DS3 enemy where dodging is the worse defense

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DS3 has have a whole genre of fast lightweight enemies like the thralls, dogs and snakemen where blocking and hitting them in the recoil is best option, I always keep the grass crest shield on hand in my runs for dealing with sneaky rogues

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Facetanking with a shield sucks compared to DS1 but that really just makes it situationally useful instead of overpowered against everything but guardbreaking slow lumbering enemies and I guess dark knights/silver sword silver knights if you’re bad at parrying. At least in my experience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always carry all the resistance shields and rings for the various environments regardless of my build. Everyone has to deal with the same bullshit.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I did a greatshield facetank run, it's fun just shrugging off Nameless King & Friede.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
one of the big DS3 mods added Perfect Blocks for shields and it freakin owns

It was either Cinders or Champions Ashes

e; you get a few frames where your stability and defenses get a huge buff just after you tap the block button

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

skasion posted:

Get a shield

No

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBTMhG2_00

:psyduck:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Point down is parryable, Well What Is It makes you ripostable.

Look Skyward should insta-curse you.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

holy christ

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
so how does one buy DS prepare to die edition on PC in 2021?

btw in case people saw the thumbnail and thought "oh he put Halo guns in DS1"

no you need to watch the whole video because its a pro af click

Moola fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 6, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Moola posted:

so how does one buy DS prepare to die edition on PC in 2021?

btw in case people saw the thumbnail and thought "oh he put Halo guns in DS1"

no you need to watch the whole video because its a pro af click

Get Dark Souls Remastered and downloaded the HD textures mod that's somewhere out there

I played for the game for the first time in 2021 and it was beautiful, and probably one of my best gaming experiences ever

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

NomNomNom posted:

Got that storytellers staff first try and am now poisoning everything I can let's go

Welcome to easy mode. You can defeat crystal wizards with it without causing them to reactively teleport away.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

what the hell is up with midir. this dude hits like a truck and takes no loving damage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wedgie deliverer posted:

what the hell is up with midir. this dude hits like a truck and takes no loving damage.

Use Pestilent Mist, run like a chicken or summon a NPC to distract Midir (Pestilent mist does % of total hp so summons are actually good for that). gently caress Midir.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

wedgie deliverer posted:

Beat on his head.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

Beat on his head.

Yup, his head takes regular damage. Its a fight you've got to do in front of him, not behind him

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

wedgie deliverer posted:

Hit his head a lot, rub some lightning on your weapon for extra damage. Eventually you'll get a head break and you can do a Bloodborne-style visceral attack on him for a nice chunk of damage.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah as long as you stay in front of his face you can learn his patterns pretty quickly and take him down. When he rears up to breathe fire straight down, run back and to the right.

Only took me three tries to beat him with fists this way :smuggo:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I was chucking the throwing spear at him, but really it was just pestilent mist that did it. Had to use rings to get my stats up for it. Midir sux.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Here's a video on how to fight Midir. Every attack is telegraphed and can be dodged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLsUbOfrz0w

Don’t be greedy, after each attack/dodge you get to either punish or chug estus. Try to do both will get you wrecked.

Some like to use a regular 100 Phys shield, most just use a hard hitting weapon two-handed.

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 8, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Midir is very scary at first, but once you get over the initial hump he's actually very easy to master.

I still usually botch dodges a few times every fight, mainly from getting lazy and greedy.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Got him this morning. Thanks for the advice folks. I ended up just hanging out in the pocket in front of him, dodging, and not getting greedy and he eventually went down.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jesus Christ Convergence doesn't gently caress around - what an insane mod.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

hanales posted:

You’re still on my list bro invite me anytime. Mandggaming

I dunno if you're still around, but I just got unbanned after attempting to remake my PS4 character with CE. :v:

I had to delete all my existing characters, but I'll be making a new character this weekend.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
thinking about fuckin around with ds3 again. any good mods out? I tried the pokemon one briefly and it was kinda buggy and not that fun. the one where you have stands is probably more fun but i'm probably just gonna aim for a general overhaul

that or i remake my bow only build and go do the DLCs which i never actually did

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wondering, is there any mod that just unlocks all items from the Shrine Handmaid without needing to look for the ashes again?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Thumbtacks posted:

thinking about fuckin around with ds3 again. any good mods out? I tried the pokemon one briefly and it was kinda buggy and not that fun. the one where you have stands is probably more fun but i'm probably just gonna aim for a general overhaul

that or i remake my bow only build and go do the DLCs which i never actually did

I've played a good chunk of Cinders and it's fun, but not balanced at all. The point of it is to mess around with goofy builds and weapons and it's super easy to make a very overpowered character. My biggest criticism of the mod is that they added some new bosses but almost all of them are just reskinned Dragonslayer Armors.

I recently started playing The Convergence mod and it's pretty cool. It adds new weapons and completely reworks how spells and miracles function in a way that's interesting. There's a lot more map and enemy placement changes than in Cinders and there's clearly been more work done to make the new bosses feel unique.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Wondering, is there any mod that just unlocks all items from the Shrine Handmaid without needing to look for the ashes again?

Honest Merchant. Never tried it since I play on PS4.
https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/607

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Convergence is the Elden Ring of Souls games