Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine getting in a tizzy over a car commercial at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

truck everlasting

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i believe the point was that they originally had a smaller SUV from GMC's lineup and based on initial reactions swapped it with their biggest. the ad has the truck and the SUV based on that same truck frame so they're approximately the same size, the truck of course has a bigger lift because... well who even knows anymore.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't watch TV anymore so I don't watch ads anymore, and it's great.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the dudes who get mad at women in a car commercial having a bigger truck than them are the same ones who open carry a loaded and cocked 1911 while shopping in their all-white suburbs

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CONDITION ZERO

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the biggest issue I have with being a truck owner is the constant mild embarrassment I feel from being even tangentially connected to mainstream truck culture

poo poo is toxic

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i used to drive a 1994 Toyota 2 seater short bed pickup and it was the platonic ideal of a truck. i would love to have another one and I haven't owned a car in like 16 years now. it was just the best

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the cringy "built Ford tough" splash screen when you start up your truck.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

spankmeister posted:

I don't watch TV anymore so I don't watch ads anymore, and it's great.

I get YouTube/twitch ads if I watch on my phone so I get to see all the cool startups and all the gamer themed products.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm the cringy "built Ford tough" splash screen when you start up your truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AJCdmW33fM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Kazinsal posted:

the dudes who get mad at women in a car commercial having a bigger truck than them are the same ones who open carry a loaded and cocked 1911 while shopping in their all-white suburbs

i went and read the comments (bad idea) and it appears that it's less about her having a bigger truck than him, and more that she took the one he clearly meant for himself, the spoiled bitch

not even an inch of reflection on the absurdity of the concept of bringing home $100,000 in cars on a whim. just kneejerk misogyny

dudes rock

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 13, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This commercial is making me angry!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
that sentiment of those comments was so real and powerful and IRL that what graph was talking about did actually happen, i remember calling it out the first time in chat

GMC released a re-cut version of the ad where in the end the dude ended up with a bigger truck

the guy saying it was bad for the brand to have the chick get the better truck was 100% correct, it was awful for the brand and the campaign tanked. They had to save it by giving the guy the bigger truck in the end.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gmc is literally chevy with extra tough looking fenders and “pro grade” marketing, fragile masculinity is the whole reason it exists

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

qirex posted:

fragile masculinity is the whole reason big consumer truck's exist

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

why buy a truck. everyone is just going to ask you to help them move all the time

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Truman Peyote posted:

why buy a truck. everyone is just going to ask you to help them move all the time

no they aren't because they all have their own $60,000 trucks which is the entire reason you bought yours

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's not like you can store a lot on a truck bed, better off renting a van so you can actually transport some furniture.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

18 years ago today :911:

https://twitter.com/evboogie/status/1459168458738999308

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sniep posted:

that sentiment of those comments was so real and powerful and IRL that what graph was talking about did actually happen, i remember calling it out the first time in chat

GMC released a re-cut version of the ad where in the end the dude ended up with a bigger truck

the guy saying it was bad for the brand to have the chick get the better truck was 100% correct, it was awful for the brand and the campaign tanked. They had to save it by giving the guy the bigger truck in the end.

penis

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i went and read the comments (bad idea) and it appears that it's less about her having a bigger truck than him, and more that she took the one he clearly meant for himself, the spoiled bitch

not even an inch of reflection on the absurdity of the concept of bringing home $100,000 in cars on a whim. just kneejerk misogyny

dudes rock

good lord.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
decolonize america (with cluster munitions)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

gmc is literally chevy with extra tough looking fenders and “pro grade” marketing, fragile masculinity is the whole reason it exists

yeah, gmc is to chevy trucks as, say, a pontiac car was to a chevrolet: basically the same vehicle, but a nicer trim level

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The_Franz posted:

yeah, gmc is to chevy trucks as, say, a pontiac car was to a chevrolet: basically the same vehicle, but a nicer trim level

buicktruck

edit: lol buick doesnt even make a sedan anymore

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

I am almost certain that GMC still exists entirely because they have all the fleet vehicle contracts. I can't remember the last time I've seen one being driven by a private owner. It is interesting to see the difference in the vehicles that are meant to do actual work vs the luxury cars putting on laborer cosplay.

EDIT:

post hole digger posted:

buicktruck

edit: lol buick doesnt even make a sedan anymore

Sedans have gone the way of the dodo. It's all crossovers now. Even smaller sedans are generally going to have a crossover form-factor. (Kind of like how all these small trucks that are coming out are still doing crew cabs, and you literally can't buy a two-seater pickup truck unless you but a commercial vehicle.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 13, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

I am almost certain that GMC still exists entirely because they have all the fleet vehicle contracts. I can't remember the last time I've seen one being driven by a private owner. It is interesting to see the difference in the vehicles that are meant to do actual work vs the luxury cars putting on laborer cosplay.

EDIT:

Sedans have gone the way of the dodo. It's all crossovers now. Even smaller sedans are generally going to have a crossover form-factor. (Kind of like how all these small trucks that are coming out are still doing crew cabs, and you literally can't buy a two-seater pickup truck unless you but a commercial vehicle.)

there are still luxury sedans.

also there are still some for the rental car market. chevy malibus are probably >95% sold to rental companies.

the standard rental car is slowly becoming stuff like the nissan rogue sport though and those are complete garbage

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I drove a Nissan Rogue for 10 years and it was fine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

see that’s how they get you, the rogue sport is a completely different vehicle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the nissan rogue has a bad reputation because it is, or was for some time, the cheapest SUV you could buy (vs. an objectively better sedan or hatchback), and it attracted a certain type of person as a result.

on a related note, you know these bumper stickers that people stick on their priuses as a self-aware joke?

well today i saw that same sticker on a bmw i3. extremely high level bmw douchebag energy lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sagebrush posted:

well today i saw that same sticker on a bmw i3. extremely high level bmw douchebag energy lol

It take an impressive amount of balls for an i3 owner to call anything else uncool.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I also looked at the comments this morning, I didn't screenshot it but one was effectively "he should have run her over with the truck and told her 'oh you love it now you're a part of it'". Extremely normal.

So was the one linked the reshoot? Did they photoshop the red SUV so its bigger or something?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

i3s are the dorkiest looking car out there hands down

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ADINSX posted:

when you look at the rear of an i3 you can see the baby crowning.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fame Douglas posted:

Imagine getting in a tizzy over a car commercial at all

the truck commercial during the super bowl quoting mlk was pretty gross

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ADINSX posted:

I own one and i cannot agree with this enough

I got the white one and when someone asks ‘which car do you I bring this out to?’ I just tell them ‘the one that’s a stormtrooper helmet’

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
god, could my dad drive a car

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

I bought a used impala recently, and got a great price. The dealership was like, we just want these out so that we can put more trucks on the lot, the margins are incredible on the trucks.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

fragile masculinity is the whole reason trucks don’t require a CDL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

graph posted:

remember the gmc car commercial where the husband bought the two brodozers and his wife picked the bigger brodozer and it made men so mad they had to go back and re-edit the smaller brodozer to be bigger

is a brodozer a gmc version of something that i don’t know or?