Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the smallest a whole turkey is usually sold? My smoker is a Masterbuilt Portable Electric, even if I remove the top rack I'm not sure whether it can hold, let's say, a 14 pounder. Hoping to avoid e.g. Butterball or Jennie-O if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What's the smallest a whole turkey is usually sold? My smoker is a Masterbuilt Portable Electric, even if I remove the top rack I'm not sure whether it can hold, let's say, a 14 pounder. Hoping to avoid e.g. Butterball or Jennie-O if I can.

I did an 11 pounder today as practice for thanksgiving. It fit between two racks in my 40” MES after spatchcocking it.

E: it was a Butterball though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I did read that there is an anticipated turkey shortage this year, so I may have to take what I can get.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I did read that there is an anticipated turkey shortage this year, so I may have to take what I can get.

Start looking early. The smaller birds usually get picked over first.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I usually see/go for 11-12 pound birds.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"Experts expect shoppers will want smaller turkeys in again in 2021 due to smaller gatherings, and that may put a push on shoppers to buy the smaller turkeys before they're all snapped up."

People are staying home still and having a smaller get together so they want smaller turkey's, the supply chain had anticipated things being further along and back to previous years large turkeys being more in demand.

There will be plenty of turkeys available, just maybe larger than you really wanted.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like you just need to split a big one and vacuum pack half, to me. I just hope I go into the store on December first to find them 90% off.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
But if you get a smaller turkey, you have less leftover turkey?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've heard in general that the smaller birds tend to be more tasty, but I can't say I've ever exactly put that to the test. Partially because I've just rarely had a gathering large enough to require a 20 pound bird, and partially because a big honker like that won't even fit in to my smoker, heh.

In the past when I've had done thanksgiving for 15+ people I prefer just doing two mains instead. The last thanksgiving I had pre-covid we did a turkey and a 7 pound ish brisket. (This isn't a smoking recipe, technically, but it's really really loving good https://www.seriouseats.com/richard-blaiss-brisket-with-coriander-black-p It works perfectly to do ahead of time, then you can slice it up chilled, and heat it up day of with another helping of the glaze.)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Anyone got a decent smoked salmon recipe? I’m getting lost in it all

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Gwaihir posted:

I've heard in general that the smaller birds tend to be more tasty, but I can't say I've ever exactly put that to the test. Partially because I've just rarely had a gathering large enough to require a 20 pound bird, and partially because a big honker like that won't even fit in to my smoker, heh.

It makes sense. Lower meat:skin ratio = more flavor.

Did a little applewood-smoked ribeye roast today. Turned out pretty dynamite. Would do again.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Finally doing the ribs this week. I took em out last night to put in the fridge for thawing, tonight I started the dry salt brine so I'm thinking tomorrow-ish I can add the Memphis dust and then throw it in the smoker. Or do I need to also let the rub brine on it for awhile and wait til Sunday to smoke that bad boy?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I almost exclusively do 20lb turkeys because I love the leftovers :shrug:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Veskit posted:

Put salt on salmon. Put salmon in smoker at low temp. When salmon temp is 130 to 135 remove add a squeeze of lemon and enjoy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

life is killing me posted:

Finally doing the ribs this week. I took em out last night to put in the fridge for thawing, tonight I started the dry salt brine so I'm thinking tomorrow-ish I can add the Memphis dust and then throw it in the smoker. Or do I need to also let the rub brine on it for awhile and wait til Sunday to smoke that bad boy?

I rinse my salt rub off, throw my pork rub on, and toss it right on the smoker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Veskit posted:

This thread shared this with me, and now it is my duty to give it back.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-smoked-salmon-two-ways-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174543

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

You're the best thank you

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Veskit posted:

I swear up and down by this one, I've posted it itt every time someone talks salmon lol:

Gwaihir posted:

I've tried a few and settled on this wet brine as the far away favorite:

3 lbs salmon
1/3 cup sugar (or brown sugar)
1/4 cup salt
2 cups low sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or freshly ground black pepper)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce (or hot sauce of choice)

Mix all the ingredients for the brine together, and whisk it good to get everything dissolved. Put the salmon in a glass baking dish and pour the brine over, then cover, and put in the fridge for 8 hours.
Next morning, take the fish out and shake off any excess brine, and then put it back in the fridge on a rack. I also take this opportunity to cut out some parchment paper and put the fish on that, then trim the parchment to match the fish. This just helps me be lazy by vastly reducing the amount of effort it takes to clean your racks and grates off.
You want to have it sitting in the fridge uncovered for a good 4 hours or so. The surface of the fish should get tacky/sticky to the touch. This is what you want to get the smoke sticking to it as good as possible.

After it's rested in the fridge for 4 hours, I smoke it at 225 till the fish hits about 140-145 internal. It'll be the most moist delicious fish you've ever had.

I've tried a few different variations in terms of rubs, maple syrup basting, etc, but it's hard to beat just going plain brined.

e: pic from last time I made it:

E: The final temp you cook the fish to can vary a lot depending on how you like it. 130-135 will be a perfect very tender juicy bite. 145 gets a bit more firm, but should still pull apart easily. Higher than that will get very firm, which some people like from their smoked fish, but the brine should keep it from drying out. I don't like going past 140, personally.
If you have a very fatty piece it will also hold up better at higher temp, and I'd pull it at 140. If you have lean wild caught fish, pull it at 130 imo. Fish varies a lot more on temp than a pork shoulder.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 9, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

life is killing me posted:

Salt is the only thing that gets any meaningful penetration. You can put the rub on while the smoker is heating up, but I like to do it a little in advance so it's less likely to be loose and fall off.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thinking of getting a MES soon, are the differences between the analog and digital one big enough to pay the difference in price?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Murgos posted:

Put salt on salmon. Put salmon in smoker at low temp. When salmon temp is 130 to 135 remove add a squeeze of lemon and enjoy.

Alternately cover salmon pieces with lots of brown sugar and salt, sit in the fridge overnight, rinse the coating off and allow surface to dry to allow pellicle to form.
Then smoke at low temp until as done as you like.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 9, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I did try a lot of the dry brine on fish but never ended up with one I was really happy with personally.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Salt is the only thing that gets any meaningful penetration. You can put the rub on while the smoker is heating up, but I like to do it a little in advance so it's less likely to be loose and fall off.

I’m probably gonna use mustard for adhesion and let it sit in the refrigerator an hour or two after rubbing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Had anyone successfully used a WSM for a low smoke? All this smoked salmon talk has me wanting to try it out

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've never done a low smoke with my WSM, but 225 is well over what it's capable of maintaining, especially with proper gaskets and sealing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Dango Bango posted:

Had anyone successfully used a WSM for a low smoke? All this smoked salmon talk has me wanting to try it out

I've done salmon at 225 before, it's not bad if you don't mind the albumin.

But you can pretty easily keep a WSM at ~170 if you keep the vents shut down, fill up the water pan and maybe only use one chimney's worth of coals.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

I did try a lot of the dry brine on fish but never ended up with one I was really happy with personally.

I like my salmon cured as gravlax.
Gimme dat aquavit.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Gwaihir posted:

That's why I keep it simple. The salt and brown sugar sucks a ton of the excess moisture out, and adds just a touch of sweetness, allowing the salmon flavor to be prominent.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Just threw the rib rack into the smoker. Fingers crossed it turns out okay. I also got some smoked sausage to go with it. Rub is Memphis dust, and before that it dry brined in fridge for like two days (I know it didn’t need nearly that long but yesterday I couldn’t smoke it because we already had food plans). I managed to fit the whole rack in there without halving it, so that should help with the bend test I guess.

Basically I’m using Meathead’s recipe to the letter

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

I swear up and down by this one, I've posted it itt every time someone talks salmon lol:

E: The final temp you cook the fish to can vary a lot depending on how you like it. 130-135 will be a perfect very tender juicy bite. 145 gets a bit more firm, but should still pull apart easily. Higher than that will get very firm, which some people like from their smoked fish, but the brine should keep it from drying out. I don't like going past 140, personally.
If you have a very fatty piece it will also hold up better at higher temp, and I'd pull it at 140. If you have lean wild caught fish, pull it at 130 imo. Fish varies a lot more on temp than a pork shoulder.

I've done it now more than a few times because it's amazing. My favorite one!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well the ribs turned out…okay. I didn’t trim, so there was a thicker end that got done more like I wanted it to and the thinner end had the texture of pork chops. All in all the flavor was great, just not as satisfying eating them with how they turned out. The best dish I made tonight was Italian green beans made southern-style with bone broth, bacon, garlic, salt and pepper.

For my first time doing ribs I can only take this as a learning experience and try again another time. One day I’ll get a Weber kettle and try some smoking ops on that because an MES can tend to leave a lot of things desired, like charcoal flavor.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

toplitzin posted:

I like my salmon cured as gravlax.
Gimme dat aquavit.

Every time I have hot smoked/had hot smoked salmon elsewhere, I have always been like “This tastes good, but it’s such a shame that it could have been cold smoked and been incredible.”

Like, cold smoked salmon may be one of the top 5 most delicious things on the planet, so every second a piece of salmon spends in a hot smoker is just actively, purposefully making it worse.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hasselblad posted:

Alternately cover salmon pieces with lots of brown sugar and salt, sit in the fridge overnight, rinse the coating off and allow surface to dry to allow pellicle to form.
Then smoke at low temp until as done as you like.

Sure. My point was more that it doesn’t have to be complicated to be delicious. Very simple recipes can still be really good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Murgos posted:

Sure. My point was more that it doesn’t have to be complicated to be delicious. Very simple recipes can still be really good.

Absolutely. One thing to note however is that doing the extra steps to cure it a bit will allow it to last longer in the fridge. I tend to smoke a lot of it at once and it takes my wife and I quite a while to get through it all.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What’s the current thread recommendation for a grill thermometer? I am looking for something I can use on a regular Weber gas grill that might someday see use on a smoker as well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hard to beat the Thermoworks Smoke.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

I’ve smoked cheese, which requires extremely low temps, on a WSM by using only a few coals (4 iirc) and it being winter, but it definitely wants to get warmer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Trying to find not-Traeger pellets locally is difficult as hell, it turns out.

I'm west of Chicago and it seems everyone has dumped their inventory for the year. I want to cold smoke some cheese, and picked up one of those pellet tubes, but sourcing the pellets is turning into a real trick.

Is there an easy way to cold smoke with wood chips? I have plenty of those lying around, and those are easy as hell to find still. I saw the little fireboxes that had an image of using chips on the label, but i'm not sure if chips will sustain a smolder the same way pellets will.

I'm going to go to Menard's to look at Christmas lights tonight, so if I have to just suck it up and get Traeger pellets I will. But all my research suggests that there's a lot better stuff out there. I figure I'll start ordering online tonight, but since I wanted to try and cold smoke some cheese for Thanksgiving, now is the best time to do it so it has time to sit in the fridge, vacuum-sealed.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lump charcoal recommendations?

I’ve used kingsford briquettes for all my smokes in my WSM and it’s fine for the short cooks but during the long cooks it gets pretty ashy. I’ve heard lump results in less ash and royal oak was an ok brand.

I bought a bag for a pork shoulder tonight and it looks like wood chips with a few chunks in it. I’ve got a full bag of kingsford just in case and will probably try the royal oak tonight anyways, but I have a feeling I’ll be refueling at 2 am with how tiny these chips are. I was imagining like decent size chunks the size of my fist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Zarin posted:

Trying to find not-Traeger pellets locally is difficult as hell, it turns out.

I'm west of Chicago and it seems everyone has dumped their inventory for the year. I want to cold smoke some cheese, and picked up one of those pellet tubes, but sourcing the pellets is turning into a real trick.

Is there an easy way to cold smoke with wood chips? I have plenty of those lying around, and those are easy as hell to find still. I saw the little fireboxes that had an image of using chips on the label, but i'm not sure if chips will sustain a smolder the same way pellets will.

I'm going to go to Menard's to look at Christmas lights tonight, so if I have to just suck it up and get Traeger pellets I will. But all my research suggests that there's a lot better stuff out there. I figure I'll start ordering online tonight, but since I wanted to try and cold smoke some cheese for Thanksgiving, now is the best time to do it so it has time to sit in the fridge, vacuum-sealed.

My local Ace is reporting a few varieties of Weber pellets available for pickup today on the Ace website. So you might try looking up some of your local Ace’s online to see what they may have in stock. But it was mostly Traeger stuff.

Gwaihir posted:

Hard to beat the Thermoworks Smoke.

That does look pretty good. I will probably order one of those. Bonus that extra probes are on a 35% off sale, so I can get an extra meat probe for slightly less. Since it looks like the base smoke comes with one meat and one grill temp probe. I figure a second meat probe is a good idea for a second meat or a backup.