Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

conde nast was a lot better off buying reddit. trying to wrangle 2006 SA into something reddit sized now would never have worked.

Lowtax in this parallel universe would probably be like all those depressing Notch alone in mansion tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol that even the death of the site's founder didn't warrant an update of the front page

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

etalian posted:

Lowtax in this parallel universe would probably be like all those depressing Notch alone in mansion tweets.

Imagine how awful the world would be if SA became the cornerstone of the internet

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

lol that even the death of the site's founder didn't warrant an update of the front page

The truest way to honor Lowtax's memory is to never update the goddamn front page.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Buck Wildman posted:

hmbol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The truest way to honor Lowtax's memory is to never update the goddamn front page.

also the forums being down

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Every time a website is redesigned this process is coopted by the stake holders who figure out a way to add in a shitload more ads and tracking and analytics and partner integrations and it makes the website worse.

If there are zero business people and zero tech people involved at all you could pull off a successful redesign by staying away from these industry standard best practices, but this is pretty rare.

This is the main reason I like SA, it reminds me of the old internet before every byte had advertising associated with it, don't redesign anything. I think we accidentally ended up with this site because Lowtax could never get along with any tech bros or business people, maybe that was his best move.

Agreed: reject modernity and embrace tradition.

I think that's a major part of the appeal for me. As an old-timer who used computers on BBS's, AOL, and then eventually proper dial-up internet - this is probably as close as how it "used to be" for me as anything besides Craigslist.

The internet used to be a stupid toy to talk to your similarly lonely friends through the telephone. Then Boomers got online and it all went to dogshit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

19 o'clock posted:

Agreed: reject modernity and embrace tradition.

I think that's a major part of the appeal for me. As an old-timer who used computers on BBS's, AOL, and then eventually proper dial-up internet - this is probably as close as how it "used to be" for me as anything besides Craigslist.

The internet used to be a stupid toy to talk to your similarly lonely friends through the telephone. Then Boomers got online and it all went to dogshit.

Craigslist has changed too, you can't find any weird hook-ups there anymore.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mangosteen and the Goldbelly Box
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Richard Lowtax in the boxing match
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
What if Lowtax's funeral was about pizza

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

fermun posted:

lmao, lowtax was offered $13 million dollars for somethingawful and he said no.
https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1459298630175801356

Jeff "Greasy" Veasey stays winning over bLowtax

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

Craigslist has changed too, you can't find any weird hook-ups there anymore.

not since you broke my heart, no.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

SA isn't really built *for* anyone. It just kinda congealed out of questionable coding practices and neglect. ZDR and Jeff kept it going despite itself. I'm glad astral is finally being paid like a real professional to overhaul and replace the bailing wire and gum the forums run on without web 2.0ing it.

The hosed up thing is that it's just as addictive and mindless and unhealthy as reddit or Instagram or TikTok or whatever, however the harm is emergent rather than intentional

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

fermun posted:

lmao, lowtax was offered $13 million dollars for somethingawful and he said no.
https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1459298630175801356

As lmao as this is, I think SA is probably way better of that this didn't happen, a corporate owner would have hosed with the vibes.

I know that's like saying "I'm glad our absentee landlord didn't sell this place, a corporate owner would have noticed this meth lab we have going." But it's true.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Posting a tweet embed of a screencap of a post from the same forum

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

Posting a tweet embed of a screencap of a post from the same forum

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

As lmao as this is, I think SA is probably way better of that this didn't happen, a corporate owner would have hosed with the vibes.

I know that's like saying "I'm glad our absentee landlord didn't sell this place, a corporate owner would have noticed this meth lab we have going." But it's true.

Conde Nast transition confused being confused browsing the anime girl pantsu and chemical treatments sub-forms.

What exactly did we buy for Web 2.0?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

it is simultaneously very good that lowtax chose not to sell something awful to conde nast for thirteen million dollars and very funny that lowtax chose not to sell something awful to conde nast for thirteen million dollars

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i never figured SA would outlive anyone let alone lowtax

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
imagine thinking your online identity as lowtax is worth more than 13 million dollars, even in 2006 lol

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
we got street cred

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

he's

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Looking forward to his future project with John McAfee

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

i never figured SA would outlive anyone let alone lowtax

Similar to feeling like how none of the Jackass stars died during their various movie stunts and sketches.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

19 o'clock posted:

not since you broke my heart, no.

I told you, we were only going to get weird!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Lmao you guys believe lowtax was telling Jeffrey the truth? The dude was a serial liar pill addict who killed himself to get out of child support. I'm not sure why old Jeffrey believes him or posted that but drat dudes stdh.txt

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Lmao you guys believe lowtax was telling Jeffrey the truth? The dude was a serial liar pill addict who killed himself to get out of child support. I'm not sure why old Jeffrey believes him or posted that but drat dudes stdh.txt

Nah, of all the dumb things this is the most believable. Rich companies were throwing money around in the 2000s trying to buy up popular sites so they could somehow monetize them later. None of it made any sense but it didnt have to. Somebody bought reddit and thought they could make it profitable! The rich are terminally stupid but sadly consequences do not apply to them

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
all dead people are stupid

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nix Panicus posted:

Nah, of all the dumb things this is the most believable. Rich companies were throwing money around in the 2000s trying to buy up popular sites so they could somehow monetize them later. None of it made any sense but it didnt have to. Somebody bought reddit and thought they could make it profitable! The rich are terminally stupid but sadly consequences do not apply to them

Yeah before anyone understood social media was going to be a thing, Lowtax probably thought that he'd be able to get the same or better offer later.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Yeah before anyone understood social media was going to be a thing, Lowtax probably thought that he'd be able to get the same or better offer later.

That or Lowtax thought he would be the one to figure out how to hit the next level on monetizing a message board and rake in the millions. If SA really was profitable back then he might have fooled himself into thinking he was the next great internet captain of industry

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lowtax told jeff about the conde nast offer after jeff already bought the forum off him

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If you're going to ask any question that starts, 'Do you believe that Lowtax was so loving stupid that he'd ____', the answer is always yes.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

News Corp bought MySpace for $580 million in 2005. I have no trouble believing that Lowtax would be deluded enough to think he’d get a better offer.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hedenius posted:

News Corp bought MySpace for $580 million in 2005. I have no trouble believing that Lowtax would be deluded enough to think he’d get a better offer.

NO LOWBALLERS! I KNOW WHAT I HAVE!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If you're going to ask any question that starts, 'Do you believe that Lowtax was so loving stupid that he'd ____', the answer is always yes.

The Money is in the Mangosteen Stand!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

etalian posted:

The Money is in the Mangosteen Stand!

that whole episode is such a unique insight into lowtax's mind

instead of doing loving anything to help make more money off the forums, he decided instead to try to leverage his internet fame with a penny ante mlm scam

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azathoth posted:

that whole episode is such a unique insight into lowtax's mind

instead of doing loving anything to help make more money off the forums, he decided instead to try to leverage his internet fame with a penny ante mlm scam

The Mangosteen saga also ended in a juicy thread meltdown and lock

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2003

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the mangosteen is amazing. 99% of the posts are people very earnestly engaging with him about drinking and buying mangosteens and then like three people make fun of him and he completely loses his poo poo. they weren't even really accusing him of trying to make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

in the mid 2000s the funniest thing in the world was when a forum moderator contrived a reason to ban someone, i'm gathering