Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lol we've somehow come full circle on draw distance fog.

I dont think this is the first time, wasn't there a silent hill 2 port or re-release that reduced or messed up how the fog was rendered and it killed the atmosphere for that version?

It wasn't so much that draw distance fog was ever "good" as it was that people designed around it and worked with that limitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Rockstar: We heard you loud and clear. The extended crunch time for Red Dead Redemption 2 put too much pressure on our employees and had a lot of negative effects on their wellbeing. For our next project, GTA Trilogy Definite Edition, we are going to take the opposite approach. We are going to ask our employees to put as few hours as possible into the product before shipping it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Because, like everything else rockstar does, it’s half-assed garbage.

hey now, lemmings and space station silicon valley are great

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Oxyclean posted:

I dont think this is the first time, wasn't there a silent hill 2 port or re-release that reduced or messed up how the fog was rendered and it killed the atmosphere for that version?

It wasn't so much that draw distance fog was ever "good" as it was that people designed around it and worked with that limitation.

Sure I get it but it's still amusing. Speaking of my peers at the time, none of us gave a poo poo that it why it existed we all just hated fog in games.

It's like people complaining about Winback on NSO. When the game came out originally everyone poo poo on it and no one thought it was a good game. But now that it's available again it needs to be validated in some way I guess?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Not gonna lie, this looks hilariously great.

I think I would be annoyed at paying full price for this, but this is practically a selling point. I probably won't even wait for a deep sale or anything just 20/25% off will do it for me.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I haven't had any issues like that to be honest, I haven't really gotten the game to glitch out at all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just beat the first SMT boss and got fed a little bit more story

gently caress me this game has an incredible atmosphere. Not entirely unlike West Texas coincidentally, plenty of chatter about demons and angels out there as well

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Really? It isn't hitting a steady 30 FPS on my OLED switch in handheld and it looks pretty blurry / ugly compared to docked.

I think the size of the world justifies the performance and it's an RPG so it's fine but just try to do any fast movements and move the camera quickly in the overworld. I'm seeing a bit of stutter.

Docked is a little bit better n the models are marginally improved. Basically it looks like all the gameplay previews / footage was in docked mode so the handheld graphics threw me off at first. Pop in is also not great, but I think that can't really be helped

Also, I'm not sure if the transition when exiting a menu or a battle is deliberately slow and animated to look like it chokes up for just a tiny second, or if that's the game actually loading

It feels overall slightly less snappy than nocturne which while that's so much older game, It was also criticized for poor optimization

I don't play docked so I can't really compare. Also sadly my eyes had multiple laserings over the last month and are still not done, so comparing slightly different levels of blur is straight out for the foreseeable future anyway. Stutter is something I definitely haven't seen so far. :shrug:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Eh it's really not a big deal it's like if you jumped from playing smash Brothers to this, it's not the same level of fluidity. It doesn't actually actively hurt the experience too much since you don't need that at all for this kind of game.

The movement feels a little weird but I think that's somethingn every 3d megaten n persona game has always struggled with. I noticed it with the light platforming elements

Still I bet the PS4 and PC release are going to perform amazing relatively speaking

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 13, 2021

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Question, just grabbed an OLED model and plan to move everything over from my old Switch to this new one. I have a much larger mini-SD card I want to move data to, does the hardware transfer also move the mini-SD data over too? I ask as I don’t have the means to move the data over via a computer (only have a work computer and it doesn’t allow for data to be moved to external devices). Any suggestions?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I think it'll transfer your saves but you have to redownload games with every new console even if you have the means to transfer them between the SD cards, your new switch will not read the games themselves since they come from your old switch.

From what I recall I did the transfer, then went ahead and manually redownloaded every single game again. I think you may also have to manually transfer screenshots. So really the hardware transfer is more of an account transfer kind of thing but it does keep your saves

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DoctorButlerX/status/1458968172292460554?s=20

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The gently caress is even the point of this game then

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeaWea6/status/1459029465598672896?s=20

honestly the GTA release seems like a gift if it's going to keep giving me great glitches to see.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Is the GTA Remastered Trilogy the new Silent Hill HD Collection?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

some of these bugs will end up breaking / making the any% speedruns even crazier

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

YoshiOfYellow posted:

No because hilarious glitches are a hallmark of GTA. It would be weird to not have them.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Was it Grand Theft Auto IV where somebody rigged it so it would follow a deer throughout the gameworld, which would almost always end with it on some military bases and a 5-star rating as the game thought it was trespassing... Just remembered watching that for ages.

I was wrong! It was GTA V!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is this a risk for Switch? And if so would it be re-released? Because if so I would get it now. I’d rather have it than not you know?
Apparently the switch version has much worse performance on top of all the bugs and lack of care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrEwriFBEi4&t=333s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The United States posted:

Apparently the switch version has much worse performance

Every Game Ever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Goons rushing to panic buy a port because it’s so lovely they might pull it from the store.

Aww it’s like Switch finally has its own Cyberpunk 2077 :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One single counterpoint: Alien Isolation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One single counterpoint: Alien Isolation.

Only for one specific version of anti-aliasing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean they're ports of PS2 games, in a vacuum there's no reason they should run badly on the switch at 720p and 1080p (and on next gen at 4K), but they decided to use Unreal Engine 4.

For some reason.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Looper posted:

hey now, lemmings and space station silicon valley are great

They weren’t rockstar then and were actually good.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why wouldnt they use ue4 lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i must defend the honor of rockstar games with my life

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no its epic games now keep up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

even more so

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The United States posted:

I mean they're ports of PS2 games, in a vacuum there's no reason they should run badly on the switch at 720p and 1080p (and on next gen at 4K), but they decided to use Unreal Engine 4.

For some reason.

They’re ports of ports of ports. Any resemblance of PS2 code is long gone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lol we've somehow come full circle on draw distance fog.

Having the technology to be able to design worlds without the need for fog: good

Remastering a game and completely removing the fog that was originally put there by the developers who designed the world and fog to cover up the deficiencies of the technology: bad

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/PeaWea6/status/1459029465598672896?s=20

honestly the GTA release seems like a gift if it's going to keep giving me great glitches to see.
That's magical. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/Phoenotopia/status/1459253849919668230

I'm not gonna buy it because I'm digital all the way but I just want another excuse to mention Phoenotopia Awakening so here I am.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Made some good progress through FFX tonight. Finally managed to wrap up Djose and now I'm at the Thunderplains.

Thoughts: Rikku is the best girl. What a fun character, but oh man is she underleveled. I don't think I've grinded, maybe wandered around a bit, I've got everyone wrapping up their first circle on the Sphere grid (Kimahri is a bit ahead and I've decided to put him on Wakka's path as opposed to Rikku's or Tidus. I'd like more haste/slow and another thief, but I feel he can get by a bit further with the status attacks, let me know if I'm wrong about this).

Wakka is becoming a somewhat annoying bigot, but he's still rather charming.

Also does this game have a relationship thing like FF7? I figure it pushes you towards Yuna, but I keep running into Lulu, and I'd much rather hang out with Rikku, but that's just me.

Also seeing what the Thunderplains are I am almost certain not to do that sidequest. I thought the window to dodge was slightly more forgiving, it's not, and needing 200 of those? Omg no. A toast to those of you who put up with it. You were mad youths with far too much time on your hands.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also does this game have a relationship thing like FF7? I figure it pushes you towards Yuna, but I keep running into Lulu, and I'd much rather hang out with Rikku, but that's just me.

No, all the relationships are set in stone by the story.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MDickie's Grand Theft Auto

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FFX actually does have a 7-style relationship mechanic but it’s weird and obscure and doesn’t really change much

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 22, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All the lovely stuff about the GTAs sound exactly how I remember them tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Fun glitches like flying cars and human NPCs running like a cougar are cool. Are there any bad glitches like save deletion or soft locking