Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't be gross. Stillsuits come with a pooptube.

Muad'dib said IIIII could sell the poop tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

Don't be gross. Stillsuits come with a pooptube.

my Naib said i

Ingmar terdman posted:

Muad'dib said IIIII could sell the poop tube

FUKK

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Honestly with their water discipline the fremen must be constipated all the time. They probably don't have that much fiber in their diet either.

Maybe spice coffee keeps you regular even better than normal coffee.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you wonder how he poops and pees, and other science facts
You'll be pleased to hear that we do know, it's processed in the thigh pads

:golfclap:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

galagazombie posted:

So is all the spice in their diet filtered into the thighpads with their poop? Can you get high on fremen poop?

That's how they make their coffee

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ror posted:

Honestly with their water discipline the fremen must be constipated all the time. They probably don't have that much fiber in their diet either.

goatshit

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ror posted:

The poop must flow!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Warner Bros did a screening with a talk after and they also had a bunch of props displayed. bunch of photos on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/comments/qsgijk/photos_of_denis_himself_and_jon_spaihts_and_eric/

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 13, 2021

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
gonna stick my worm in that pain box

FAH Q
Aug 19, 2007

Certified Monster Fucker

Bubblyblubber posted:

Yo, you got sandworm dick up in that grotesquely huge body of yours ? Or are you just happy to see me?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

uber_stoat posted:

Warner Bros did a screening with a talk after and they also had a bunch of props displayed. bunch of photos on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dune/comments/qsgijk/photos_of_denis_himself_and_jon_spaihts_and_eric/

top five bene gesserit artifacts absolutely NOT used for doing cocaine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bubblyblubber posted:

Lmao I loving love that the first post after that pic is about sticking a dick in the pain box, you beat me you fucker!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

priznat posted:

Lmao I loving love that the first post after that pic is about sticking a dick in the pain box, you beat me you fucker!!!

"But that was just prescience!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kid, I work on Wallach IX and they don't even let ME stick it in the box.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

:O she gives menses to the bed

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rewatched dunc. I dont understand this notion of mentat erasure that everyone has

When kynes says there are 21 guys on the harvester and leto says they have room for 6 people on their 3 thopters, paul immediately calculates that they have a problem

It turns out they dont have a problem of course but he does the math

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

Rewatched dunc. I dont understand this notion of mentat erasure that everyone has

When kynes says there are 21 guys on the harvester and leto says they have room for 6 people on their 3 thopters, paul immediately calculates that they have a problem

Paul also calculates that the shield generator has a weight of 100 kilograms which therefore means that they can trade a generator for a person, which is proven to be correct

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

That read to me more like "competent and quick thinking under pressure" vs mentat, but I was glad that bit was in there, a great little character moment. Leto's "we'll find a way" and immediately putting the thopter in a dive also owned.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Literal superhuman calculating abilities shown in real time. When I got home and did the math to confirm it blew my mind

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am bad at math personally but that example seemed like a rather easy math problem?

the main thing missing about mentats was the cool "it is by will alone i set my mind in motion" bit from the lynch version

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Reminds me of the somewhat tongue-in-cheek Isaac Asimov story about a scientist in the future who "discovers" how to do math with a paper and pencil, and it's this massive military advantage because it means calculations can be done by a single trained person with a pad of paper, rather than the enormous and expensive computers that they were previously using.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I read dune years ago and, maybe I got up during a mentat scene, completely loving forgot about them and don't remember them in this movie.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
They were the guys that did this:

Mentat kitty sees plans within plans.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

His eyes didn't roll back because it was just double digits

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
When they are showing off some of the Fremen equipment like the paracompass there's a device called a... Sand compressor? I think? And the Atredes guys are looking at it like "am I... Supposed to put my dick in there or what?"

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Ingmar terdman posted:

If only carryalls could handle the weight of 21 guys.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ror posted:

Do they stop and take a little break to poop or have they trained themselves to just poo poo mid-stride?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Earwicker posted:

i am bad at math personally but that example seemed like a rather easy math problem?

the main thing missing about mentats was the cool "it is by will alone i set my mind in motion" bit from the lynch version

you loving try getting high on hosed up space shrooms and doing math in your head then, big shot

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Next time I go to see a Dennis Villeneuve movie I'm gonna bring my abacus just so I can keep up

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

uh if you thought that was easy you should take the Mensa test, you might be in the top .1% of human IQ friendo

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:ibadpop:

'Stilgar, one thing that bothered me when I was watching the filmbook. It said that rhythym attracted the worms. Does that mean.. ANY rhythym?"

'Yes, Usul. Many fedaykin have been lost to Chili night'

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Some interesting DUNC content from these FX guys, comparing Lynch Dune with Villeneuve’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPkdMGI6D4

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Some interesting DUNC content from these FX guys, comparing Lynch Dune with Villeneuve’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPkdMGI6D4

Thank you, this is a really fascinating breakdown of Dune 1984. hand-drawn shields!!!!!!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Thank you, this is a really fascinating breakdown of Dune 1984. hand-drawn shields!!!!!!!!

Yah that surprised me too!! Also the shot of the ships, wow.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Yah that surprised me too!! Also the shot of the ships, wow.

:ibadpop: yes!

These sorts of details make my sympathize with Lucas and his compulsion to do an entirely digital movie.

On the other hand, they literally just don't make them like they used to.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

kalel posted:

uh if you thought that was easy you should take the Mensa test, you might be in the top .1% of human IQ friendo

The kiwsatz haderach!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that is a cool video

the Lynch sequence of the Atreides migration has been one of my favorite things since i was a kid.

the new version is kind of cool with the ships coming out of the water but definitely nowhere near as good

though imo much of the strength of the Lynch version comes from the Brian Eno piece that begins when they arrive. the rest of that movie is scored by Toto and it's great, but Eno's "Prophecy Theme" is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4onBqilHvc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I don't get the Hans Zimmer hate. The guy has a really good distinctive style that gets aped poorly and spoofed, just like any other musical artist, yet his talent is referred to so definitively as garbage by contrarians. Like it's just a given that he sucks.

The Dunc sound track is better than the 84 soundtrack.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

For the Dunc soundtrack it really sounds like Zimmer was trying to go for a Jóhann Jóhannsson feel I don't know if it was purposeful or what but I really got that vibe. If he was alive I bet he would have done the score having done quite a few of Villeneuve's films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kalel posted:

I don't get the Hans Zimmer hate. The guy has a really good distinctive style that gets aped poorly and spoofed, just like any other musical artist, yet his talent is referred to so definitively as garbage by contrarians. Like it's just a given that he sucks.

The Dunc sound track is better than the 84 soundtrack.

i dont hate hanz zimmer, ive enjoyed some of his other soundtracks (dunkirk especially, and inception had some cool ideas) and i appreciated some of his little nods to the toto/eno soundtrack in dunc. but i strongly disagree, the toto/eno soundtrack is imo one of the best film soundtracks of the 80's and zimmer's take on it doesn't really come close

that doesn't mean he or the dunc score is "garbage" though. it's mostly just.. ok.

the theme of paul meeting chani by toto is also one of the best pieces in the 84 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4B_SHCKNwc

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 14, 2021