Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

Is this a joke about the Bene Gesserit being mostly/all women and the misogynistic meme "make me a sandwich"? Or is there something in Dune I don't get to make this less offensive? I only know the basics of the setting.

The Bene Gesserit witches have infiltrated Fremen society. So they're sand witches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Radioactive Toy posted:

We instituted the opposite policy of this. There always seems to be a new game to try so we now always try to play a game we recently learned or a favorite prior to busting out a new game, if time permits multiple games.

Well this is specifically inflected toward the games that have been on our shelf for too long, so it's more of an anti-buying policy. Our next one might be Gaia Project, which buddy recieved as a gift and just hasn't find the time to get on the table yet.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

If the end result is playing more gaia project, your group is doing something right

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Couple games I'm interested in I was wondering about:

I saw the SUSD review for Detective: City of Angels. I vaguely remember people here being down on the detective series, is this one alright?

Secondly, has anyone tried out City Of The Great Machine yet? Looks neat, and testing out Beast makes me want to play more hidden movement games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s a different line/designer than Detective (from Portal games). Detective is garbage.

City of Angels has a weird GM role that is running the game but not really competing or something? And a big mechanic is they can lie to the players a certain number of times or something like that. Seemed like an odd system that would make the game fragile at best.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
City of Angels is good. I've only played the 'classic mode' once and everyone had a good time. You want to avoid feeding them good information, and want to feed them consistent lies. It was hard in the intro scenario, but I went through and looked at the options for the cases I solved solo.

It is a very good solo experience on its own. It is a one and done if you aren't going to GM for the players, but it is good.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Nea posted:

Couple games I'm interested in I was wondering about :

I saw the SUSD review for Detective: City of Angels. I vaguely remember people here being down on the detective series, is this one alright?

I've raved about it previously in the thread (and yeah, it's not part of the 'Detective A Modern Crime Whatever' series) and I still really like it and will probably keep it until I've played through all the cases (including the two expansions that I bought). The GM system I do think could make the game fragile if played totally competitively, but as we've always played it - which is much more as a GM where you're facilitating an experience for the players and have various tools at your disposal to increase tension and challenge - we've found it works really well and is a lot of fun. It also feels far more like an investigation than any other game in the genre that I've played simply because the addition of a GM means that you can actually question suspects and get different responses in a way that feels a lot more interactive than something like SHCD where you're very much on rails as to what the game provides you at each location.

It doesn't hurt that it's beautifully produced, some of the case systems are really fun and interesting (cool extra puzzles to solve, new mechanics introduced etc) and many of the storylines are great if you like the LA-Noire kinda setting. I really recommend it if you've got a group that will enjoy the mystery and the narrative of it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The Heroquest reboot is starting to look really bad from what I'm seeing online. Cheap, lovely miniatures with tons of manufacturing problems, bubbles, warping, etc. I might still get it and throw the lovely minis into my "painting practice" pile and get a pack of them 3D printed.

I got lucky as the copy I got didn't seem to have too many problems. I can't speak for the quality or how cheap the miniatures are (I'm not an expert in the area) but none of them seemed broken and I at least got all the pieces I was supposed to, I'm hearing some people are missing parts in their shipments.

The worst I got is half the skeletons that come with the Return of the Witch Lord quest pack (and one from the main box) had their scythes bent downwards. I've also heard that the quest books contain some misspellings and typos, but I haven't read it myself.

e: Personally I...kinda hate that the miniature furniture and such is all plastic though? You can paint them yeah which is great, but as far as just cracking open the box and sitting down to start up a game, I kinda liked the cardboard ones from the old set that you had to assemble yourself, since that meant they were a lot more colorful and cool looking.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Nice! I'll probably give it a run then soon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My friends and I are going to be starting on My City tomorrow and I'm really excited. We're consistent enough to play a legacy game, and it's my first one (3 of us in total). Is there anything we should watch out for that's inobvious or easy to gently caress up? We usually make some minor play errors learning a game the first few times, and I worry about that loving up the whole legacy thing overall that some small error early on might super gently caress up everything.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Arivia posted:

My friends and I are going to be starting on My City tomorrow and I'm really excited. We're consistent enough to play a legacy game, and it's my first one (3 of us in total). Is there anything we should watch out for that's inobvious or easy to gently caress up? We usually make some minor play errors learning a game the first few times, and I worry about that loving up the whole legacy thing overall that some small error early on might super gently caress up everything.

My City is fantastic, I hope you and your group enjoy. There's no way to ruin the legacy aspect - the "permanent upgrade" side of the game is very minor, everyone gets more or less the same stuff and it isn't like you build up a permanent economy or anything like that. I think the only error I made when playing with my partner was treating all tree stickers as the same (some show two trees and are worth more, I think?) but otherwise it's a very simple game, not a lot of room for big mistakes. We found each envelope lasted us about 45 mins to an hour (three games apiece) so you could easily play two per meetup and finish the whole game in four total sessions, or leave it at one per and drag it out a bit more.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Bloodborne board game seems weirdly pretty cool? Dark Souls is trash outside of the boss battles (very pretty trash, sure, but still garbage) so this was honestly kind of a pleasant surprise. I haven’t played any Lang games since like, Quarriors/Dice Masters so I didn’t really know what to expect, but there’s just enough narrative flavor and choices to make to keep things interesting, and the battle system starts having a ton of strategy as soon as you kill an enemy or two and start making deckbuilding choices. I can see myself actually pulling it out to finish the first campaign in the next few days, which I don’t often do with games.

e: also it has a really well designed board insert and one of the Hunters is rocking a threaded cane with a cannon which is absolutely my jam

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 13, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: TG Secret Santa is open! Holy gently caress sign up now! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZqrfDd1IEs&t=3s

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

My City is fantastic, I hope you and your group enjoy. There's no way to ruin the legacy aspect - the "permanent upgrade" side of the game is very minor, everyone gets more or less the same stuff and it isn't like you build up a permanent economy or anything like that. I think the only error I made when playing with my partner was treating all tree stickers as the same (some show two trees and are worth more, I think?) but otherwise it's a very simple game, not a lot of room for big mistakes. We found each envelope lasted us about 45 mins to an hour (three games apiece) so you could easily play two per meetup and finish the whole game in four total sessions, or leave it at one per and drag it out a bit more.

Thanks!

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Arivia posted:

My spouse and I just started in on this! My suggestion is to immediately dive into the legacy - the first chapter serves as an introduction. No need to play the non-legacy game at all to get a hang of things.

e: rather, DON'T play the non-legacy game first - you'll have to "unlearn" things for the first chapter as it introduces you.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 13, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Arivia posted:

It's a great little game. Mostly, it all follows and the rules are good at telling you what applies in any game and what stops applying. The only thing I recollect being an issue when you could build on the forest area: I think it's out of bounds, then allowed, then out of bounds again. And the points for trees and rocks are based on the number of images, not the number of stickers, i.e. a single sticker showing two rocks costs you two points.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
We are maybe 2/3 of the way through my City, the only rule we were confused about so far was the "Bonus" from Chapter 4: it applies to the end of the chapter, not each episode.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
My friend and her partner discovered a copy of Fluxx that someone had gifted them years ago and they forgot about. They played once and felt like it was super random and not very strategy based. They played a few more times and then the partner declared he was definitely better. It was decided that the games would be tracked to discover if a skill advantage could exist. 200ish games later they determined that the partner won 52% of the time which he claims is proof he's better but she claims is not statistically significant and the wins are a coin flip. Of course they could be almost evenly matched in skill.

This has been your Board Gaming Scientific Report of the Day.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Holy poo poo I can't imagine playing 2 games of Fluxx, much less 200.

Edit: also obviously it doesn't work I'd they're both playing 200 games. What he needs to do is play some number of games against someone who has never played before, now that there would be a significant gap in "skill"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Edit: also obviously it doesn't work I'd they're both playing 200 games. What he needs to do is play some number of games against someone who has never played before, now that there would be a significant gap in "skill"

You'd have to play a new person every game or three, or one person who is incapable of learning after a hundred games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crosspostin Da Dealz

...I'm probably gonna get it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fluxx is fun iff

1) you're not trying hard to win and make the rules silly instead
2) you give up on games that go too long
3) you're not sober

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There best game of Fluxx I won on my first turn it. They should all be that fast.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

PopZeus posted:

My friend and her partner discovered a copy of Fluxx that someone had gifted them years ago and they forgot about. They played once and felt like it was super random and not very strategy based. They played a few more times and then the partner declared he was definitely better. It was decided that the games would be tracked to discover if a skill advantage could exist. 200ish games later they determined that the partner won 52% of the time which he claims is proof he's better but she claims is not statistically significant and the wins are a coin flip. Of course they could be almost evenly matched in skill.

This has been your Board Gaming Scientific Report of the Day.

Doesn't fluxx also have cards that help or hinder you based off of like, hair color, gender, height, etc?

I'm just saying, instead of it being skill or luck, it could legitimately just be slightly weighted in his favor.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

I played it twice, it's SOOOOOOO loving poo poo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Slimy Hog posted:

Fluxx is fun iff

3) you're not sober

Just play Coup, Skull, Cockroach poker etc instead tho

Skull is an incredibly good drunk game btw if people haven't tried it

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Making it this free-for-all instead of focusing on games/accessories seems a bit of a minefield, and $35 seems pretty low for anything game-related. Is this really worth doing?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Fluxx is fun iff

3) you're not sober

I've always thought that a game like Fluxx could be interesting - a game where you compete by changing the rules of the game - but Fluxx is not a successful example. But isn't there a card game that does exactly that? I recall reading about it on BGG.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If a game is only fun if you don't play to win, then it's not a good game. You can get goofy with your friends and have slightly-tipsy fun on your own time! Leave boardgames out of it!

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

nonathlon posted:

I've always thought that a game like Fluxx could be interesting - a game where you compete by changing the rules of the game - but Fluxx is not a successful example. But isn't there a card game that does exactly that? I recall reading about it on BGG.

Red7 comes to mind.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

no no no, they said they wanted a successful iteration of the concept.
jk, I think Red7 is fine. But I have seen people be rude to it on here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

no no no, they said they wanted a successful iteration of the concept.
jk, I think Red7 is fine. But I have seen people be rude to it on here.

Red 7 is bad if you use the "Advanced Rules" and a fine quick filler with finite duration if you don't. It's definitely a working iteration of Fluxx, until you try to make it more like Fluxx.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Making it this free-for-all instead of focusing on games/accessories seems a bit of a minefield, and $35 seems pretty low for anything game-related. Is this really worth doing?

I gifted twice last year and got Root + Twilight Struggle out of it.
I sent some unique minis + model out. And it was fun finding something my Santee would enjoy.

$35 is the minimum suggested price. There were some very generous Goons last year for a few people.

You can request to be paired with similar minded people if you like.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

nonathlon posted:

A couple of years ago I backed Something Different on KS.

It's a fun party game with constantly shifting rules.

Played it about 10 times and it held up well.
Just a bit of fun as you drink.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
That's great. I can see it would make a good dining game.

I'm wondering if there's anything like Nomic, which is a pen and paper game where you can propose new rules that get voted on, and the rules tend to be very mechanical things like "those who win a vote get a money", "everyone gets 2 coins on their turn", "you win when you have 10 dollars" etc. But I expect the games could be interminable.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So some friends want to start up a legacy board game group, and we're split between Gloomhaven and Betrayal at the House on the Hill legacy editions. Any suggestions?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Local smallish con, highlight of the year every year, everyone required to have proof of vax and heavily encouraged masks.

Anno 1800: It was okay. The tech tree felt like Caverna and Kemet’s frontloading of everything, but the thing I disliked the most was the random new world resource draw that gated things. Really soured it for me.
Illusion x3: Had been on my list for a while. Timeline style game but with color percentages. I liked it!
Furnace: EH. A whole lot of not caring what other people did with a nice auction first.
Mandala: Taught it to someone as a quick filler, I really like this one.
Mini Express: Very, very light cube rails. It was fine, I like it more than paris connection but less than a lot of others.
Scout: Absolute gem. Ladder game with bohnanza style can’t reorder your hand, and a cool hand management aspect. Great.
Medici: Never played this classic Knizia before, played at 6p and it was awesome. Pure auction.
1846 with Eric Brosius and Joe Huber: 4p game, snappy under 2 hours, I came in 3rd, scores ending at 6629, 6287, 6072 (me), 4073. It was amazing to play in person, only my second time playing 18xx in person.
Dois: Cute little japanese trick taking game with a cool suit vs number dynamic, wizard/ohell style bidding.
Maniki: I guess it’s a game. Kind of ricochet robots but for towers of hanoi.
Dive: I guess it’s a game. Peer at transparent stacked sheets to try to guess when there’s sharks.
City of the Big Shoulders: Been meaning to try this for a while. I ended up not really liking it, it took the player vs company, stocks and shares, capped 60% limit, cert limit of 18xx and applied it without really using any of it in an interesting way. Too long for what it was.
Mykerinos: Always love this classic tempo game
Riichi mahjong: 2am perfection, it’s a yearly tradition. Love it every time.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tias posted:

So some friends want to start up a legacy board game group, and we're split between Gloomhaven and Betrayal at the House on the Hill legacy editions. Any suggestions?

If it helps your decision, Gloomhaven isn't really a legacy game in the same sense, it just uses a few legacy game mechanics to gate content so that it doesn't dump the entire game at you all at once. In that regard, it's far less "disposable" of a game than most legacy games, and your group is going to be in for a long haul.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If anyone is thinking of getting Troika from Oink, don't bother. It's just a random draw set collector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tendales posted:

If it helps your decision, Gloomhaven isn't really a legacy game in the same sense, it just uses a few legacy game mechanics to gate content so that it doesn't dump the entire game at you all at once. In that regard, it's far less "disposable" of a game than most legacy games, and your group is going to be in for a long haul.

Yes, Gloomhaven is very cool but it's a lot more accurate to call it a "campaign game" than a legacy one. Like yeah you technically put stickers on a board or w/e but it's a very different feel with very different goals from most legacy titles.

I don't know anything about Betrayal Legacy but based on what I know of the vanilla version it's almost certainly a better fit if your intention is just making weird decisions to see what happens 4 games in the future, whereas Gloomhaven is probably the way to go if you want a good tactical dungeon crawling game with character advancement.