Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am immensely bummed out. My game keeps randomly freezing when I go to sleep and the error log is no help. Fall Y2 with a good farm.

I think I'll hafta put the game down for awhile and wait until 1.5.5 release and hope that fixes the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

coolusername posted:

:shepspends: Anyway, see you all in 2022 when I buy rune factory 5 to continue no-lifing my life?

Hopefully you've got an RF4 special save so you can get the special guest characters for RF5 Margaret and Doug :shepicide:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's more "end-game"? I'm in Fall 2 and everything is more or less on auto-pilot on my beach farm. I'm doing starfruit in the greenhouse as I get my ancient fruit crops up to speed, and I'm otherwise doing a little bit of everything between fruit trees, fish ponds, honey, and tappers, with the small bit of arable land doing the crop of the moment (aside from some recipe stuff).

I don't have a full set of iridium gear, but I did just unlock the island and I can go to skull cave. I'm woefully unequipped for the latter and lack both the stairs and bombs to do a deep-dive. I went to check out the island but it makes zero sense atm, which I suspect is the point and that's fine.

I guess the question is, at this juncture which do I focus on, or which do I set aside for the time being, while doing day to day stuff? The island I find more interesting, but it's rather time-consuming to get to at the moment, and it seems rather vast, while I know Skull cave is rather cut and dry, unless it's been greatly changed.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You’ve pretty much got it. The endgame is whatever you wanna do with your farm and the townspeople, getting resources (chiefly iridium, which becomes more common the deeper you go) in the skull cave, and figuring out the island.

There’s also two shorter quest lines you may or may not have started, one that begins if you go to the northern mountain (where the bathhouse is), and another that starts by solving a puzzle in the tunnel to the left of the bus stops. There’s some endgame things unlocked at the end of those, as well.

You may also look into getting a full set of dwarf scrolls if you haven’t already.

E: sorry, that didn’t really answer any questions. My personal recommendation is whatever smaller goals you have, and then prioritizing the island over the skull cave. The island is cool.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'd say you are in the end-game regardless. Sadly you can't make the 'How did I do?' event happen early that would once have been a clear marker. Usually happens end of Year 3 (but you can make it recalculate if you don't like the result.)

The island is more or less intentionally a bunch of post-game puzzles and options. Wiki-dive or not as you see fit. Worth spending some time with proper attention though. Eventually you can unlock some quirky challenges.

Skull Cave is older content, but also much easier if you get some of the ring upgrades the island can offer.

Other things have been covered by Zulily, as well as general Secret Note stuff. Also trying to get all fish caught and all museum slots filled. (Those both of those are hard work). All the quests from the Special Board near Lewis are a fun distraction with unique rewards IIRC.

EDIT : Some options for skull cave to make it easier can be crystallarium Jade traded for stairs with the desert trader, also explosive shot on the sling shot is a cheap way of getting a lot of impact explosives that can't hurt you. Whether it's better or worse than Bombs and Mega Bombs is a matter of taste.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 12, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's more "end-game"? I'm in Fall 2 and everything is more or less on auto-pilot on my beach farm. I'm doing starfruit in the greenhouse as I get my ancient fruit crops up to speed, and I'm otherwise doing a little bit of everything between fruit trees, fish ponds, honey, and tappers, with the small bit of arable land doing the crop of the moment (aside from some recipe stuff).

I don't have a full set of iridium gear, but I did just unlock the island and I can go to skull cave. I'm woefully unequipped for the latter and lack both the stairs and bombs to do a deep-dive. I went to check out the island but it makes zero sense atm, which I suspect is the point and that's fine.

I guess the question is, at this juncture which do I focus on, or which do I set aside for the time being, while doing day to day stuff? The island I find more interesting, but it's rather time-consuming to get to at the moment, and it seems rather vast, while I know Skull cave is rather cut and dry, unless it's been greatly changed.

You sound like a wo/man who could use a return scepter or some other horribly expensive farm equipment to work towards. Have you redecorated your farm? Just woken up one morning and thought "these paths are all wrong, what was I thinking"? Maybe built a giant shrine to a golden statue of mayor lewis?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Guildenstern Mother posted:

You sound like a wo/man who could use a return scepter or some other horribly expensive farm equipment to work towards. Have you redecorated your farm? Just woken up one morning and thought "these paths are all wrong, what was I thinking"? Maybe built a giant shrine to a golden statue of mayor lewis?

There's definitely things to work towards. I could use the specter and I haven't even fixed the last bundle in the Community Center nor built Pam a house. I just know that the money stuff will get done as soon as my modest wine production gets going. I'm not even min-maxing it, because it hardly feels necessary.

I have one barn with a pig in it that I'm going to sell and then I don't know what I'll do with that building if I don't raze it. I've kept rabbits for their feet and because wool is generally useful.

I've also beaten this game early on on PC, so it's just the new stuff that's new to me. I still haven't married, but I'm leaning Leah if not Maru. Like there's stuff to do, but I was just curious what the new long long term goal I should have is. I'll probably back off from the island for now, focus on getting a full set iridium tools and clean up the economic stuff in town and the desert. Then I'll do the island after doing a minimum of skull cave.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There's also collections to complete. Have you cooked all the dishes? Caught all the fish? Filled the museum?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

There's also collections to complete. Have you cooked all the dishes? Caught all the fish? Filled the museum?

I'm missing a handful of items in the museum, same for shipping, and just waiting on winter to roll around for those fish. I've been collecting seasonal veggies for the cooking list.

I'm by no means bored, but a lot of goals like these are long term or dependent on a season, much like the expensive items ones. It's a great game and I've got a lot of plans for it moving forward for sure.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Dumb question but I'm playing on PC, how do I pull up a path tile on my farm?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

You've probably found the answer by now, but mining pick.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's definitely things to work towards. I could use the specter and I haven't even fixed the last bundle in the Community Center nor built Pam a house. I just know that the money stuff will get done as soon as my modest wine production gets going. I'm not even min-maxing it, because it hardly feels necessary.

I have one barn with a pig in it that I'm going to sell and then I don't know what I'll do with that building if I don't raze it. I've kept rabbits for their feet and because wool is generally useful.

I've also beaten this game early on on PC, so it's just the new stuff that's new to me. I still haven't married, but I'm leaning Leah if not Maru. Like there's stuff to do, but I was just curious what the new long long term goal I should have is. I'll probably back off from the island for now, focus on getting a full set iridium tools and clean up the economic stuff in town and the desert. Then I'll do the island after doing a minimum of skull cave.

The scepter is a huge qol upgrade that's worth the price tag. Also not yet available to you but if you keep advancing stuff there's a way to make rings and weapons that are more gooder.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The automate mod is just :stwoon:

Does it make a chest auto harvest tea leaves or batteries along a line by any chance?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Poil posted:

Does it make a chest auto harvest tea leaves or batteries along a line by any chance?

I know it does batteries, haven't tried tea leaves tho

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ohnobugs posted:

You've probably found the answer by now, but mining pick.

thank you!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Poil posted:

It definitely does tea leaves. I put a chest and a keg in my "pot basement" (tea trees in Garden Pots), and the chest would automatically pluck the leaves and shove them into the keg for making into tea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Great, it's even better than I thought. That means I can cluster my rods behind the barn and coop and not worry that I can't reach all of them. And gathering from long hedges will be a breeze. I had a ton of trash before I got my recycler and it just happily chugged through the whole lot with no need for me to run back and forth over days.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Automate also harvests fruit trees, and shakes wood trees for seeds

. There's enough room in the Greenhouse to fit eighteen fruit trees and fifty-four preserves jars without blocking access to the growing area or the water trough.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Poil posted:

Great, it's even better than I thought. That means I can cluster my rods behind the barn and coop and not worry that I can't reach all of them. And gathering from long hedges will be a breeze. I had a ton of trash before I got my recycler and it just happily chugged through the whole lot with no need for me to run back and forth over days.

Oh if you really want to go down the Automate rabbit hole... try putting a chest next to some crab pots. And then put a Recycling Machine next to the chest... maybe a Charcoal Kiln or a Furnace if you're feeling really feisty. Easiest place to do this is on a dock or a bridge, but be careful of NPC pathing. Look up what spots they won't walk through and wreck your stuff.

From there you can daisy chain crab pots up and down a body of water... and if you want to get really sassy, have a look at the config file for Automate. It designates some paths as being "connectors," meaning if you lay them down adjacent to a chest, they connect the chest to the thing you want to automate. You can use this trick to line the whole dang beach with crab pots and automatically process all the trash into useful materials.

I had the beach farm so I did the same with the docks to the south and the southern shore. I just checked 'em once a week or so. Easy money between the lobsters and crabs, sashimi, cloth, etc. and plus the extra coal, ore, and refined quartz was always nice.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'm a big fan of automate + crab pots. You even still get fishing exp when you empty the chest. Sashimi's also a really good food you can get the recipe for very early and easily and crab pot catches from the sewer make the same sashimi wild caught halibut does. Very few townies don't at least like sashimi as a gift, further, and it's got no buffs so you can take a big pile of sashimi into dungeons for hp restore without worrying about losing buffs from other foods/potions/whatever.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I finally bought a Wood Chipper. I'd considered them useless because I thought they only had one use, and hardwood is so much more difficult to come by than regular wood in the early game.

Having learned that they turn driftwood into regular wood at similar rates, I have started eschewed using the recycle machines on Driftwood because you get so much more from the wood chipper.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Returning player from the 1.0 - 1.3 era. Anything I’m missing in mods since then? I’m looking into trying Stardew Valley Expanded, interested in hearing people’s opinions on that. Any other big must haves or mods worth trying?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I will say, the game is still fine unmodded (and is my playstyle) But then, I've only sunk like 100 hours in across a few farms. Especially with things like the Zoom controls added and community bundle icon in the inventory.

But, there are a number of popular QoL mods, like LookUp Anything, or *digs into thread history*

Spalec posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/239
NPC map locations adds all the characters to the map (obviously), useful when you wanna find someone to give them a gift or whatever but don't know their schedule.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/5450
Seasonal outfits adds a bit of variety to everyone's look, plus halloween spirits eve costumes. :3:

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/520
Happy Birthday gives you a birthday, you pick one at the start of the game and on that day you get a cake/a little money from your parents and gifts from all the villagers when you talk to them. Also parties for you from the person you're dating.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1114
Easy fishing, comes in 3 varieties (25% / 50% / 75% less movement on the fishing bar).

A lot of people love Automate. But it feels like not playing the game to me?

Stardew Expanded has a lot of mixed responses, but it certainly works for some people.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Automate is a cheat mod. I happily use it and am fine with that, but let's not kid ourselves about its nature. If you're of the "I want to get all the cheevos without cheating!" persuasion then you should skip it.

If you don't care about that and just want to save the IRL time you would otherwise have to invest in busywork, hell yes Automate is the greatest thing ever.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'll admit, after having done most of the post-game island, and lvl100 skull caves and most/all of the special board quest and stuff like that, and still not having enough money to buy a warp obelisk suggests that if I wanted thank kind of stuff, I'd need to either automate my farm, or just hack in money.

<.< Admittedly, Beach Farm doesn't play into scaling up your crops so much. But it also stopped me from stalling out. So success.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The only mod you need is Abigail centuar mod

I don't use mods because I'm lazy and I still enjoy the base game

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Automate just replaces manual clicking, to me it's along the same line of going from manually watering your crops to using sprinklers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but it also allows you to accomplish a LOT more in a day, thus make a lot more money in a day, than the game was designed to allow.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Does automate mod require any materials to be spent to build whatever automates things? Because 10000g or an iridium bar for one sprinkler is also for game balance

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Sure but time means nothing at all in the game, not like you're racing to hit specific goals unless you just really want to for your own personal reasons.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CFox posted:

Sure but time means nothing at all in the game, not like you're racing to hit specific goals unless you just really want to for your own personal reasons.

Right there with you dude, I was just pointing out its cheating nature in case OP is the type that likes to play games "pure" or whatever. I also use CJB Cheats to permanently set my speed to +3 because I value my IRL time.

WFW: No, you literally just plonk a chest next to whatever and it does its thing. Like for example if you build 20 beehouses, one chest and 4 kegs all in a 5x5 square you can just come back in a few months and you'll have a huge pile of mead.

You can do this outside the farm

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, gotta admit weirdly tempted to cheat in enough to build a stable, or a permanent coffee buff or whatever. (In my new poking at playthrough, which is mostly trying not to spend money on buying other lifesim games. Haha.)

Same as how I really should have looked at a way of just making speed potions last 999hours or whatever in Graveyard Keeper.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
On the forest farm I’m planning to construct a coop on the grassy patch to the north of the center pond: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/File:Forest_Farm.png

Can grass starter be planted on that grass?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Wildtortilla posted:

On the forest farm I’m planning to construct a coop on the grassy patch to the north of the center pond: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/File:Forest_Farm.png

You can plant grass but it won't spread there. At least the last time I tried (a few patches back)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I don’t think I have ever gotten my money’s worth from planting grass. I’ve tried several elaborate schemes, but in the end buying wheat has always been cheaper and easier. All the animals are income positive after buying wheat even at 0 hearts, so it’s not like you need grass.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eating grass rather than hay maxes out their happiness IIRC, which makes large/more valuable products more likely, but the overall effect is pretty negligible vs. just using the auto-feeder and periodically dumping in a stack of hay.

Grass still looks nice though and Aesthetics Are The Game

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just had a thought, has anyone tried planting grass on the new island? Does it grow there? In the winter?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Grass sucks because I can’t see the truffles :mad:

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

World Famous W posted:

I don't use mods because I'm lazy and I still enjoy the base game
Buddy, if you don't use the Mister Ginger mod, then you and I can never be friends. :colbert:

Wildtortilla posted:

GodFish posted:

You can plant grass but it won't spread there. At least the last time I tried (a few patches back)

In addition, if you put down grass starter and then a fence (or lightning rod) on top of it, your animals will come out and eat it, but the grass will not disappear. Which means you can do things like this;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

AJA posted:

In addition, if you put down grass starter and then a fence (or lightning rod) on top of it, your animals will come out and eat it, but the grass will not disappear. Which means you can do things like this;

Hey thanks, this was going to be my next question.