Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

a principled libertarian doesn't care about the age of consent in any state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Maneck posted:

Which is to say, they're pushing the belief that unilingual anglos living in Montréal is a new, aberrant thing rather than the status quo for at least two hundred years.

*whistles innocently*

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Quebec doesn't have a unique problem with race and how dare you suggest otherwise!!!! Alberta is just as badddd!!!!!!!!

Just lol about Quebec nationalists actually thinking they are indigenous to the area. I've joked about it before but I never thought it was actually a thing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

half cocaine posted:

a principled libertarian doesn't care about the age of consent in any state

I didn't say they cared.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The rate at which they are burning through scapegoats to blame for all the provinces problem is terrifying, and I suspect they havnt even considered the fact that they will run out of others to blame rather quickly. So whats the goal? Whats the plan? Quebec politics has always confused me but this seems so much weirder than usual.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Furnaceface posted:

The rate at which they are burning through scapegoats to blame for all the provinces problem is terrifying, and I suspect they havnt even considered the fact that they will run out of others to blame rather quickly. So whats the goal? Whats the plan? Quebec politics has always confused me but this seems so much weirder than usual.

The plan is to keep the hoi polloi blaming outsiders for their problems instead of the government, as always with scapegoating.

There is no end game, just blaming les autres

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I had a Quebecois guy on another forum tell me "The ROC constantly mocking Quebec is on the ROC, not Quebec" in a discussion about the airline CEO.
Given that the same forum thread constantly mocked Alberta for...everything, I asked if that line of thinking applied to Alberta also or was it just Quebec that was exempt from mockery?

I received no response.

So yeah, "nothing is our fault" seems to be endemic at this point.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The perception that the ROC are constantly mocking Quebec, however, IS on Quebec

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The reason we're mocking Quebec for being pants-on-head dumb as gently caress about things like the AC CEO is because it's funny.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Trying to piece together how Taiwan figures into making fun of Quebec

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

The reason we're mocking Quebec for being pants-on-head dumb as gently caress about things like the AC CEO is because it's funny.

Québec nationalists losing a public relations tift with Air Canada. There's no need to mock. It's inherently funny when delivered straight, as news.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Just gotta say I'm so tired of provinces wanting to be "A nation within a nation." It's always about being lovely or continuing to be lovely. Sorry Moe, we need to get off of oil and gas at some point.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-moe-autonomy-1.6242880

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-education-nazi-document-1.6247382

quote:

The document, a set of guidelines for "recognizing diversity and promoting respect," suggested considering whether a given educational resource addressed "both the positive and negative behaviours" of various groups.

"For instance," it read, "if a video details war atrocities committed by the Nazis, does it also point out that before World War II, German government's policies substantially strengthened the country's economy?"

This was 100% done by the dude who forced all the "residential schools were good, actually" stuff into the curriculum.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
In an educational setting, that kind of effort could be valuable. Nazi policies absolutely benefitted some, in the short term, and showing how a government can achieve such benefits through the genocidal expropriation of property from, then subsequent extermination of, other humans could be an invaluable lesson into why lies behind the fantastical promises of politicians.

Seems fair to guess that this educational policy didn't remotely try to do that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Powershift posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-education-nazi-document-1.6247382

This was 100% done by the dude who forced all the "residential schools were good, actually" stuff into the curriculum.

loving :lol:, especially given the one good Nazi economic policy was abandoning austerity policy, to a degree the UCP would be aghast at.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You can perform economic miracles by just pretending that your debt doesn't exist!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I hear good things from the Weimar Republic

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Literally Hitler had some good ideas, what a stinking albatross

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Alberta's government has now officially denounced the "What about all the good things the Nazis did" education prerogative, which was enacted by the previous government*. *Possibly a prior government made up of the same people as the current government, but who is to know? Some nerds who are into reading and paying attention? Screw those communists! Go team blow up the Rockies for coal!

In fairness to the Alberta Conservative Party (yeah, I know), it seems like they might actually have tried to get rid of this particular piece of crap. Apparently it's been kicking around Alberta's curriculum since 1984 and for some reason which probably rhymes with "smacism", has been impossible to properly expunge. Or maybe that's just the spin the politicos are putting on it?

Either ways, yikes to the tenth power plus a big old "How come everyone involved hasn't lost their jobs yet?"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Seeing something like that, and the way it is presented (possibly by the homeschooled kid) reminds me of when my dad and I went to Vogelsang a couple years ago. That was an eye opening experience for me because my formal education of Nazi Germany from Alberta public schools was that they locked up Jewish people, political dissidents and enemies, POC, LGBTQ, and many other "undesirables" to first work them to death and then later exterminate them at scale. As I got older more was added, like how MacKenzie King visited and praised Hitler's policies because they appeared to be getting Germany out of their depression, or how basically every nation turned away Jewish immigrants because we didn't want them either. Basically, everything I learned came back to the fact that "who cares if they built the Autobahn, they still gassed 8 million people and actively tried to genocide an ethnic population for 'reasons' so don't emulate them" but we never dug into nitty gritty stuff outside of how Hitler took power.

So with that foundation, here I am about a decade after my formal education has ended exploring one of four planned "campuses" that were envisioned as training centres for the next generation of Nazi Party leaders and what surprised me the most was how all of the information was presented. Most museums and education centres I have been to always try to strike a neutral tone with delivering information, my first time experiencing the opposite of that was during the Truth and Reconciliation Commission back in 2014, but in Germany they are not afraid to acknowledge the horrible things that happened under Hitler and also actively frame all of the information in a way of "oh you thought the Nazis had 'good ideas'?! :lmao: let me tell you how rear end backwards those ideas were, both in conception and implementation". I had never heard of these training centres before, so in addition to the shocking moment of discovering they had, effectively, brainwashing centres for the up and coming true believers, there was also a sort of levity when in the same information panel I would be told "yeah they 'planned' to have 4 of these sites around the country and you would do a 4 year rotation to explore the country you were, in theory, being prepared to run, but like most big work projects the Nazis came up with it was half-baked, poorly implemented, didn't even get loving finished because of inner-party backstabbing and other cases of ratfuckery".

Personally, I would be down for that kind of approach to "the Nazis had some 'good' ideas" but I wouldn't trust any current Conservative with implementing something like that since they are probably the same fuckheads that would've signed up to go to a place like Vogelsang. Incidentally, the humour and levity of the information at that place quickly disappeared as you went through the timeline and got to the parts where guest lecturers were teaching the participants about "the Jewish problem" and later "the final solution" and even better was what bright, upstanding, politicians they made seeing as most of the magistrates and marshals put in charge of conquered places like Ukraine, Romania, Poland, and the like were graduates from these places. They were the ones that were given marching orders from Berlin to keep the populations in line and so did things like "ok, get these people all in a line and just let 'er rip with that MG42, these people aren't Germans so who gives a gently caress about them? I'll do it myself if none of you pansies are going to follow orders".

If you ever have any doubts about how hosed up the Nazis were from top-to-bottom, read about places like Vogelsang, travel to the site in Western Germany, but don't trust the UCP to educate you about them

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The Hitler has good ideas thing also exists in parallel to the modern conspiratorial right who have shifted to believing that the Holocaust is a largely made up conspiracy by the international globalist Jewish cabal to gain sympathy to justify founding Israel and shield them from criticism in their one world government plans.

So if from school you hear that Hitler was kind of ok and from online you hear that he didn’t actually do any of the bad stuff, I think we’re going to see people truly believe that Nazis are actually fully good in our mainstream discourse pretty soon.

This is especially the case as another Red Scare is picking up steam in all media as we ramp up to another Cold War with China.

And this is especially the case with the weird Canadian Ukrainian pro-Nazi discourse as the Communists are seen as increasingly evil and Freeland may well be our next pm.

I don’t know if this makes sense I have just drank 2 coffees.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think it's a bad idea to look at Nazis or other groups and simply say they're uniformly bad. This isn't really education. There were reasons Nazis and their policies were popular in the 30s, reasons why they were able to seize power, reasons why they were able to cause so much damage and suffering during the war. It's good to teach some of the "appealing" parts of the ideology because that poo poo is still around today and it's important to be able to recognize it. Know your enemy, and all that.

I think if teachers had actually been saying Hitler wasn't that bad this would have gone to light before now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The example with Nazi Germany's economy is just an outright lie perpetuated by white supremacists and to defend it all is immediately suspect.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It’s very similar to Lost Cause civil war revisionism that tries to completely rewrite history.

Like, the Nazis didn’t end the post WW1 economic woes in Germany; they just took credit for improvements already occurring.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Is there any parallel to be drawn with China's Great Leap Forward?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
And now I am arguing with some dipshit libertarian about why teaching "both sides of the Holocaust" is not a good thing. His argument is by saying "genocide is bad" you are imposing your values on kids. At first I thought he was from Alberta and benefitted from the education system their but he is from Ontario.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Hitlers lessons on improving the economy by stealing from a group of people and then gassing them is extremely good when we apply it to landlords

There. Both sides.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Hitlers lessons on improving the economy by stealing from a group of people and then gassing them is extremely good when we apply it to landlords

There. Both sides.

NIMBY = Nazis

Both. Sides.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Madkal posted:

And now I am arguing with some dipshit libertarian about why teaching "both sides of the Holocaust" is not a good thing. His argument is by saying "genocide is bad" you are imposing your values on kids.

This person you're arguing with needs a punch in the teeth

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Preferably two, one with each hand since they're such a fan of both sides.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Teaching the appeals to fascism and the economy and society that produced the movement are important and helpful to allow students to recognize when they are being actively recruited by the far right.

When it comes to getting out of the Great Depression, I think studying FDR is a much better example of how you can do that with much less genocide.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
It's all bullshit anyway. Here's a good resource on the Nazi economy: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-supermanagerial-reich/

After some initial token gestures towards full employment and social spending, the Nazis went all in on privatizing the economy and massively cratering worker wages, working conditions and living standards. Their economy was unsustainable, except by imperial conquest and slavery, military arms buildups and war. Which is what they proceeded to do.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ARACHTION posted:

Teaching the appeals to fascism and the economy and society that produced the movement are important and helpful to allow students to recognize when they are being actively recruited by the far right.

When it comes to getting out of the Great Depression, I think studying FDR is a much better example of how you can do that with much less genocide.

The New Deal did a lot of white supremacy; and many aspects weakened benefits to POC in order to get passed. Then consider Japanese wealth that was probably confiscated under FDR during WW2. Red Lining was basically pioneered during the New Deal as I understand it.

As an aside regarding your previous post, I don't think there's really any relevance between the far right in the west possibly gaining traction among conservatives and foreign policy by the west and China. I'm not sure what "this is especially the case" is meant to mean. Like I don't think Hitler is going to be rehabilitated by the mainstream media because of increasing tensions with China (as China ramps up taking aggressive steps in East Asia and the Pacific and continues to be making threatening gestures towards Taiwan), that seems silly to me.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Raenir Salazar posted:

The New Deal did a lot of white supremacy; and many aspects weakened benefits to POC in order to get passed. Then consider Japanese wealth that was probably confiscated under FDR during WW2. Red Lining was basically pioneered during the New Deal as I understand it.

As an aside regarding your previous post, I don't think there's really any relevance between the far right in the west possibly gaining traction among conservatives and foreign policy by the west and China. I'm not sure what "this is especially the case" is meant to mean. Like I don't think Hitler is going to be rehabilitated by the mainstream media because of increasing tensions with China (as China ramps up taking aggressive steps in East Asia and the Pacific and continues to be making threatening gestures towards Taiwan), that seems silly to me.

The hardest part about all this is that the people who fought in the Russian Revolution, world war 2 and those who lived during the Great Depression are 99% dead. There’s nobody alive today who can directly remember what those times were like. We are losing a lot of valuable institutional memory and experience that can help us contextualize the times we live in.

Which means we’re forced to rely on the biases of the written words of people who wanted to portray those times in a certain way. The new deal was co-written by southern democrats who if they existed today would basically be the Strasserite GOP apocalypse some of the people here are worried about. That entire attitude was purged when LBJ pushed civil rights through government. That was like the little crack in your windshield that eventually split the drat thing in two. Backlash against equal rights for black people is why there are so many red states today. It’s why the Dems will never win back the south again.

I also think that Biden could sign a intersectional new deal today and still get voted out of office because people don’t know and don’t care about the myriad of economic details attached to it. They see empty shelves and think the president caused it. People are going to vote for a tough guy who says he’s going to make it all better. They’re gonna vote for someone who tells them everything they need to hear.

And what Americans want to hear is that a man channeling the energy of Donald Trump will personally ensure that the shelves are stocked with their favourite conveniences and they won’t cost a penny more than they did in 2019. Doesn’t matter if it actually happens. Saying it is enough.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

Maneck posted:

Québec nationalists losing a public relations tift with Air Canada. There's no need to mock. It's inherently funny when delivered straight, as news.

Are they really losing, though? This kind poo poo feeds right into the elites-are-anglos narrative. It's going to be fuel for passing more restrictive language reforms.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater however. That's how you get the idiotic liberal class in the US saying the Universal Healthcare is racist or whatever. Even with how racist the New Deal was, it was what finally brought Black Americans firmly to the Democrat camp because even then it brought tangible gains to their livelihoods.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

half cocaine posted:

Is there any parallel to be drawn with China's Great Leap Forward?

Hey, what does this have to do with Canada, and if there are parallels, maybe you can actually make them for us?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://twitter.com/Gidimten/status/1459922781148045312

i really hope this move kickstarts another, stronger round of national attention because the retaliation from cgl and the rcmp is going to be uglier than before.

for context this has been an ongoing clusterfuck battle over land usage rights where the wet’suwet’en of this territory have repeatedly been left out of talks and decision making while cgl is granted every permission imaginable to steamroll the way for a pipeline against multiple treaties and external, as well as internal, regulations and agreements on process and involvement, while the local rcmp have been quietly busting heads over it for well over a year. the situation and response generated a lot of isolated protest across the country but it never seemed to make much noise in the mass consciousness and has died down while rcmp and cgl action gets more violent and aggressive. this is another attempt at an ultimatum by the people there.

it's worth looking into your regional protest scene to see if there's any waves still reverberating about this or in light of this newest act, and if not, it might be worth starting some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/denisebatters/status/1460292661387087876?t=w5bmQY--zmpJygPCMDlfrA&s=19

Hahahahahaha keep eating your own CPC