Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

IMO, keeping each piece of gear under $90~100 is a nice rule of thumb. Used gear is perfectly good, gear from previous decades is perfectly good, simple gear is perfectly good. No need for massive drum machines or sequencers or anything.

I’m also loving hunting for gear from the late 80s and early 90s because tbh that’s when most of the music I love was made and I love the idea that I can tool around with the same stuff they did. Let’s see how much an Akai S950 is going for right n—oh :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of a good book/resource/whatever for signal processing? Obviously a quick google reveals a billion results so I guess I'm asking for a goon suggestion to narrow the selection down. The more it presents examples that I can fiddle around with the better.. long winded theory or terminology dumps is gonna wear me out fast.

I always gain the most watching people talk about it from their own perspective. Vadim's (NI DSP guy) talks for instance:

https://youtu.be/zPzCLqkQnr0

For building my own stuff, after a pretty steep learning curve I've found myself most comfortable using JSFX in REAPER. To me it's pretty the most direct way to tell the computer "do THIS with the signal", whereas Reaktor is great for picking other people's stuff apart to figure out how it works.

snorch fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 12, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m a little screwed hardware-wise since I’m more melodic than harmonic/rhythmic in taste, and that demands longer and more complex sequencing. Ambient/drone/wave isn’t my thing, and despite generally liking d&b/break/acid, it’s not what I have an affinity for.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Whatever’s cheapest on Reverb :v:

IMO, keeping each piece of gear under $90~100 is a nice rule of thumb. Used gear is perfectly good, gear from previous decades is perfectly good, simple gear is perfectly good. No need for massive drum machines or sequencers or anything.

You can put together a nice short, simple, and tightly-looped track focused on rhythm and harmony with just four modules max and their onboard keys/pads. Sure, you'll be reaching over them and twiddling knobs and high execution is important, but it's totally doable. Just, keep it simple.

Good poo poo m’duuuuuuude

Keeping to this philosophy, it might still be a good idea to look at the affordable end of midi keyboard controllers. Especially if you're looking to really play a volca. keys you can actually feel without activating make a huge difference. There are several offerings available, and a healthy used market.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For sure. I was hoping the Minilab MKII would work for that, but no self-standing MIDI out - TRS or 5-pin - is unfortunate. I’m considering trading it in for…something else. Ideally something with sequencing, Keystep style.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Pollyanna posted:

more melodic... acid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2kcOCsALnw

edit: also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wTl-wYL0-k - a great opportunity to hear one of the largest and most expensive synth's of all time

toadee fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 12, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Question: I have a couple old Roland keyboards from the 90s, I love them but they both have "sticky" keys. The only video pertaining to my model had a guy who applied Vaseline to a few mechanical contact points on the keys. But is Vaseline the best lube for this purpose and if not, what is? Would petroleum based lubes have an adverse effect on plastic keys?

Additionally, does anybody have any advice about this sticky keys issue in general? I'm afraid I'm going to have to dismantle these things. I was thinking I may need to replace the springs although it doesn't feel like it's the springs all that much.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Would white lithium grease be good for this?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It should work if it's the same stuff toys with plastic gears use

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Synthcat content:

https://youtu.be/WlfOQVtAICQ

Gonna play around with the Drum+NTS combo a bit more, I’m quite fond of it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

Question: I have a couple old Roland keyboards from the 90s, I love them but they both have "sticky" keys. The only video pertaining to my model had a guy who applied Vaseline to a few mechanical contact points on the keys. But is Vaseline the best lube for this purpose and if not, what is? Would petroleum based lubes have an adverse effect on plastic keys?

Additionally, does anybody have any advice about this sticky keys issue in general? I'm afraid I'm going to have to dismantle these things. I was thinking I may need to replace the springs although it doesn't feel like it's the springs all that much.

sticky keys have been, in my experience, either poo poo spilled on them or the rubber aftertouch contact strip getting gummy. you shouldn't really need to lube bushings. if you do, I think regular white lithium grease is the goto

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Synthcat content:

https://youtu.be/WlfOQVtAICQ

Gonna play around with the Drum+NTS combo a bit more, I’m quite fond of it.

That's a pretty big boy, isn't it? Yeah, I've really enjoyed my NTS-1 quite a bit.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Pollyanna posted:

I’m a little screwed hardware-wise since I’m more melodic than harmonic/rhythmic in taste, and that demands longer and more complex sequencing. Ambient/drone/wave isn’t my thing, and despite generally liking d&b/break/acid, it’s not what I have an affinity for.

I often feel like I'm in a similar boat. I don't find the kind of step sequencers built into a lot of synths to be useful for what I want to make, so I use an Alesis MMT-8 as my hardware sequencer. It's great for putting down melodies, because you're recording your playing into midi notes in real time down to 96 subdivisions of a beat. You can always quantize/manually clean stuff up afterward, and you can make patches pretty much any length you want.

People put them up on Reverb in working condition for under $100 on a consistent enough basis that if one were to keep an eye out they should be able to eventually snag one for that cheap. I'm always tempted to grab one when they surface for $80 just to have as a backup. A lot of people would rightfully point out though that hardware sequencers are readily replaceable with software solutions.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ramen Pride! posted:

I'm numb here. I would kind of like it if there was a separate "Do not speak ill of the dead" thread where people posted the more talented and funny things Lowtax did over the decades as a way to remember him, but I guess I'll just post this here.

Back in the early days, Lowtax was heavily into electronic music composition, and published songs and videos under the name ARC. Some of these videos were among the first content ever posted on SomethingAwful. I archived this one and when I sent it to him on Facebook he was mighty amused. The song is titled "Deviation" and the video is horribly artifacted and garbled due to rotting on a burnable CD for decades. So I just put it up on Youtube for anyone to see, as a memento mori.

Thanks for the decades of Protection, Lowtax. Pak Chooie Unf. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtV2ZvjaQvc

Synth Is.
Something Awful begins with Synth.
everything begins and ends with Synth.

Can't you see where memories are kept bright?
Tripping on the Synth like a laughing goon
Time in her eyes is spawning past life
One with the ocean and the Lowtax unfurled
Holding all the love that waits for you here
Catch us now for I am your future
A kiss on the wind and we'll make the land

Come over here to where, when lingers
Waiting in this empty world
Waiting for then, when the lifespray cools
For now does ride in on the curl of the wave
And you will dance with me in the sunlit pools
We are of the going Synth and the gone
We are of Synth in the holy land of Synth
And all that's to come runs in
With the thrust on the strand

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Not a budget solution but I wonder if this is something that might be up your alley

https://squarp.net/pyramid

Also as much as I rag on my MPC One not being super useful to me, it did have a really nice timeline/sequencer and it was super easy to handle automation etc. Just that inputting via the touchscreen was super clunky. Since all the MPC OSes are the same it might be a good use case for an old MPC Live 1. But that’s entirely a shower thought and not an actual recommendation.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

bought a Digitakt so now i play the waiting game until it is delivered

that rounds out my hardware set, time to hunker down over the winter and hopefully make some muzak :sax:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So, I spent like 20 years doing music solely in DAWs and, back before the demoscene went extinct in the late Cretaceous, trackers. But the last few years I've been very fallow music-wise, and early this year when I had more spare income I decided to see whether actual hardware synths would help reignite the fire.

I haven't released any fully-produced tracks yet, but jamming with this setup has definitely inspired the hell out of me music-wise. And dear holy gently caress modular is a money incinerator, but it's been so worth it to me.

Module-wise, I couldn't live without Pam's New Workout, not just as a master clocked but as a clocked modulator for anything and everything. Telharmonic is my most recent acquisition but it's absolutely phenomenal. Monotropa is a fun little EQ distortion unit. And the Turing Machine was a fun way to get into soldering for the first time (although the BHB was my actual testbed for doing that).

I got the Neutron used because Uli doesn't need my money, but it's been a great jumping-off point for learning how to patch stuff. And it's still a great-sounding analog oscillator and filter for the whole modular rig.

I need some rainbow knobs for my Synthrotek APC just to piss him off, because my girlfriend got that for me before we realized what a bigoted douche the guy is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RocketMermaid posted:

So, I spent like 20 years doing music solely in DAWs and, back before the demoscene went extinct in the late Cretaceous, trackers.

Meanwhile my first and only DAW is Renoise…a tracker :saddowns:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AKA the best type of DAW

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

RocketMermaid posted:

I haven't released any fully-produced tracks yet, but

can we have images in thread titles yet

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Martytoof posted:

AKA the best type of DAW

:cool:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Looking on Reverb for volca drums:

quote:

Korg Volca Drum Digital Percussion Synthesizer w/ MOD

I have no idea what the mod does and I lost the paper that shipped with this auction a number of years ago elaborating on what it does... that said please note that this item has some sort of mod. The mod appears to be an operational mod and not something that corrupts the sound in any way.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Maybe it's just the snare mod?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You’re thinking of the Beats.

I have no idea what mod it could be referring to.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

JamesKPolk posted:

Looking on Reverb for volca drums:

I’m the one running the Volca Drum and Volca Bass 2-pack if you’re interested.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The lack of MIDI-thru on the volcas is one of the reasons a TD-3 is winning out, so far. I don’t think MIDI was ever designed with anything other than daisy chaining in mind, so having end modules like these is a bit annoying…

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

And dear holy gently caress modular is a money incinerator,

-Me, a few hours ago debating on whether or not to get a Mantis case.

I also started out with Trackers - Scream Tracker originally, then Impulse Tracker. This was back in the 90s though. I have no idea what’s been out there in the last 20 years.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 14, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Clavavisage posted:

Maybe it's just the snare mod?

That’s volca beats

I would guess it’s some master fx like a drive or a master filter

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

The lack of MIDI-thru on the volcas is one of the reasons a TD-3 is winning out, so far. I don’t think MIDI was ever designed with anything other than daisy chaining in mind, so having end modules like these is a bit annoying…

You can get a 5 port thru box for $25 and ten minutes worth of dirt simple soldering, and you can daisy chain a couple of them for even more if you really need to

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Slore Tactician posted:

I’m the one running the Volca Drum and Volca Bass 2-pack if you’re interested.

if it were a Keys I'd be all over it, esp w/ the extras

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The keys is the only one I regret selling. It’s so mellow

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I also started out with Trackers - Scream Tracker originally, then Impulse Tracker. This was back in the 90s though. I have no idea what’s been out there in the last 20 years.

Schism Tracker has, as far as I can tell, been the main thing people have been using over the last 15 years if they're not DOS purists. It's basically a clone of IT2.14 that runs in modern hardware just fine. I did OHCs with it back when one of my IRC communities was doing compos regularly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've used SunVox for eons as my tracker because the modular sound design is too dang fun. I also love how it runs on everything.

But if you just want traditional sample based tracking, yes , schism is where you look.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

-Me, a few hours ago debating on whether or not to get a Mantis case.

I was going to get a Mantis to add to my two NiftyCases, but they seem to be sold out everywhere and that used 9U Doepfer showed up at Patchwerks, my local crack den synthesizer shop, so I traded in one of my NCs towards it. Having a beefy power supply and lots of case depth to work in makes it extremely worth it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

You can get a 5 port thru box for $25 and ten minutes worth of dirt simple soldering, and you can daisy chain a couple of them for even more if you really need to

That dirt simple soldering isn't so easy for the inexperienced but here's one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2653366083...aMaAoh1EALw_wcB

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It can’t be that hard. I should get a soldering iron anyway given all this embedded stuff I need to use up.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Selling people a bunch of Volcas and the like is just an evil plot to lure people into going rackmount.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m thinking about selling my Volca keys and modular. I just don’t play with them as much as I do my monologue and TE stuff. Plus the SP404 II is on the way… someday?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

I was going to get a Mantis to add to my two NiftyCases, but they seem to be sold out everywhere and that used 9U Doepfer showed up at Patchwerks, my local crack den synthesizer shop, so I traded in one of my NCs towards it. Having a beefy power supply and lots of case depth to work in makes it extremely worth it.

I’ve been keeping my eye out and then suddenly Kraft Music in Wisconsin had them in stock yesterday. I’ve got a few things to sell to offset the cost, so I’m getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

petit choux posted:

That dirt simple soldering isn't so easy for the inexperienced but here's one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2653366083...aMaAoh1EALw_wcB

I mean the kit in question is literally just soldering on the midi jacks and the USB jack, which all have massive solder points. No ICs or components or anything small or complicated. It's legitimately something I would recommend to someone as their very first solder project because the solder points are massive, they can only fit in one direction, you can't really damage them by heating them too much, and the whole thing is really as easy as 'put solder near go together place and make hot. Now its together'