Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Mesadoram posted:

:allears:

This makes me so happy for some many reasons.

Have you heard the Good News of the Miracle of FIRE?
I love pyromancy, so this is some awesome news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turns out I’d been forgetting to upgrade my weapon this whole time. Got to +3 and hosed up the big boss on my first attempt afterwards. Very good battle.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please datamine a nice grappling hook for me. some item that lets you do 4 or 5 extra doublejumps in the air would be acceptable as well

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

DeadlyHalibut posted:

No, they're there so you can use a shrine and save or level up and get your items and spells and poo poo restocked before continuing the level without having to kill all the enemies the long way again.

but im saying nioh 2 is designed in such a way that you find these short cuts after you find the next shrine, making them usually pointless. some are useful though

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't care for the Souls games but this looks bad rear end and amazing. think I'm gonna give it a whirl.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Point Down is over, there will only be Tea Bagging after PVP.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Which of you did I help kill the Pumpkin head with in four seconds?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't care for the Souls games but this looks bad rear end and amazing. think I'm gonna give it a whirl.

It’s really good but it plays almost exactly like Dark Souls 4, so it depends on what exactly you didn’t like about them.

I’ve officially done everything in the beta except the giant pissing dragon. Can’t believe the amount of content in this thing. I feel blessed

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I decided to play Bloodborne since I got it for free, in preparation for Elden Ringing, but I can't get through Central Yarnham... :sweatdrop:

is there a thread for this old rear end game??

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I decided to play Bloodborne since I got it for free, in preparation for Elden Ringing, but I can't get through Central Yarnham... :sweatdrop:

is there a thread for this old rear end game??

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836631&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=446

The very start of Bloodborne is the hardest part imo. For your first play through, pick a background with high starting vitality and pick the hunter axe or saw cleaver over the threaded whip. (Whip is good once upgraded but weaker/requires better positioning at first)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s really good but it plays almost exactly like Dark Souls 4, so it depends on what exactly you didn’t like about them.

Dying over and over again and getting lost

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Been playing on PS5, there are very notable frame rate drops in outside areas. It's also clearly a cross gen game in the worst ways, Demon's souls looks much better while running smoother at the same time.

Not sure how many of the controller features it will use, currently they aren't enabled.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wrong conversation

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 14, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

You’ll definitely still die over and over, enemies and bosses can still be very challenging, although things like spirit summons mean it is very likely to be the easiest one so far. Getting lost isn’t as much of an issue, especially with a map.

Did a goon summon and killed a big dragon in the closing minutes of this session, meaning I - I am pretty drat certain - have completed everything in the beta area! Absolutely loved every second of my time with it, they’ve nailed it once again. I won’t stay up until 3am to do the final session, I don’t think, but the fact I’m considering it despite having literally nothing left to do should tell you how much I enjoy the experience of just messing around in this world.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Found a place at the end of the network test so I couldn't explore it, curious if anyone went there. Its when you go down to the swamp area with the dragon and pass beneath the bridge that has the black knight at night on it. I followed it, got invaded by NPC and got booted halfway through the fight. It seemed like the area went on for a little bit longer past that point. Is there anything cool there?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ps5 owners have already owned themselves enough From

Though tbh I'm jealous of that giant finned thing, by the time I buy one they'll have revisioned it into a small white rectangle

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Finished the beta as far as boss fights are concerned. I thought it was pretty fun overall, if not quite as enjoyable as Sekiro.

Adding open world mechanics to Dark Souls works way better than you might expect. Unlike Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne, the side-areas are small enough that exploring them doesn't feel tedious. The crafting system separates out resource types, so souls are no longer the universal currency. Now, there's more of a reason to use items early on in the game. Walking, riding, and fast travel are integrated seamlessly. The only thing I really didn't like was the mounted combat. It felt unbalanced and janky. Killing the dragon was way too easy if you just stay on the horse.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Archer666 posted:

Found a place at the end of the network test so I couldn't explore it, curious if anyone went there. Its when you go down to the swamp area with the dragon and pass beneath the bridge that has the black knight at night on it. I followed it, got invaded by NPC and got booted halfway through the fight. It seemed like the area went on for a little bit longer past that point. Is there anything cool there?

Iirc, An optional dungeon+boss and a superjump to get to the east stormlands with your horse.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BiggerBoat posted:

Both of those things are still gonna happen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It might be less punishing, though, given the extra respawn checkpoints scattered around, especially near bosses. Not necessarily easier, but dying might feel less bad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

well.... about that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Both of those things are still gonna happen.

Regy Rusty posted:

well.... about that

I figured but this one looks a little different in ways that might hold my interest longer and maybe I can sink a little time into gettin gud. Not sure why I might expect something different this time around but based on the previews so far I kind of want to try it. Maybe it's the open world setting.

Maybe I'll post again in February after I throw my controller into the tv and beat my console with a baseball bat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also suspect getting lost might feel different in a big open world than it does in a labyrinthine interconnected mega-dungeon of a world, especially because you can actually get a map this time. That won't help in dungeons but that's only one part of the game in Elden Ring and probably somewhere you'd expect to get lost.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

I also suspect getting lost might feel different in a big open world than it does in a labyrinthine interconnected mega-dungeon of a world, especially because you can actually get a map this time. That won't help in dungeons but that's only one part of the game in Elden Ring and probably somewhere you'd expect to get lost.

Also this. Not always knowing where to go next and having the ton of options that open world offers somehow seems more palatable to me than remembering how to backtrack through a tight layout

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In the test you always know where to go to advance the plot - the bonfires have an arrow on the map that points to the next goal.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Relin posted:

but im saying nioh 2 is designed in such a way that you find these short cuts after you find the next shrine, making them usually pointless. some are useful though

They let you go back and explore to find the kodama and hidden loot / any optional objectives you might have missed like finding the shards in the spider castle.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Here are some cool things I found exploring past the barriers of the test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6SJU0PWhEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZchsg_K3os

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjN999C1Dc

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Seems it is possible to be separated from your mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH9eJxCQsVs

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Those are all very cool finds, thanks for sharing!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

BiggerBoat posted:

I figured but this one looks a little different in ways that might hold my interest longer and maybe I can sink a little time into gettin gud. Not sure why I might expect something different this time around but based on the previews so far I kind of want to try it. Maybe it's the open world setting.

Maybe I'll post again in February after I throw my controller into the tv and beat my console with a baseball bat.

I'm with you, getting hard gated by a frustrating boss feels less bad when there's a whole open world to mess around with and a dozen other bosses you could go and fight first.

This just looks like more of a sandbox compared to the more linear slog of the other Souls games.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I was gonna say “this takes me back to the ancient days of GameFAQs, plundering the Shadow of the Colossus demo for any fragment of info or cool views before the thing crashed.”

…and then I saw the bridge.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

I'm with you, getting hard gated by a frustrating boss feels less bad when there's a whole open world to mess around with and a dozen other bosses you could go and fight first.

This just looks like more of a sandbox compared to the more linear slog of the other Souls games.

That's well put and you worded it better than I did.

My memory of DS was getting my poo poo wrecked and then trying to retrace my way back through wherever the gently caress I (sort of) remembered going the last time - only to get destroyed again. I'm looking at you, lance/spear guy guarding that long narrow hallway.

This one seems like I can at least nope out of a particularly hard area and just go wander around in a different direction looking for new poo poo (that will still kill me).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/qtwscc/youre_playing_it_wrong_a_comprehensive_guide_of/

Apparently the game is less about DS3 spam rolling, and much more interweaving rolls with blocks. And R2 counters.

And it seems that even blocks with 2-handed weapons have decent damage reductions and stability, though I haven't seen precise numbers.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
how dare some redditor tell me I'm playing my game wrong. i have rolled through ds1, ds2, ds3, bloodborne, and i WILL roll through this game too.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Not surprising given how well Sekiros combat flowed and how much of that games design theyve added to this one.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/qtwscc/youre_playing_it_wrong_a_comprehensive_guide_of/

Apparently the game is less about DS3 spam rolling, and much more interweaving rolls with blocks. And R2 counters.

And it seems that even blocks with 2-handed weapons have decent damage reductions and stability, though I haven't seen precise numbers.

I agree from what I played at least. A shield for me un DS3 was either for specific tanking or just to have on your back for whatever buff it might give. There seem to be some enemy attack patterns that absolutely cannot be dodged through entirely.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Phobophilia posted:

I agree with some of this, but I absolutely played the boss in question like a DS3 boss. Lots of blocking weak attacks, dodging strong attacks, and parrying (I sort of forgot the guard counter existed) the slow/predicable ones. Maybe it comes down to personal preference, but of all the FromSoft games, spamming roll only felt useful in Bloodborne, where bosses had flailing, hard-to-distinguish moves that messed with the framerate.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
As an avid life long fan of good old fashioned sword and boarding the thought that they've made shields and blocking better integrated into the game makes me immensely happy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Flytrap posted:

As an avid life long fan of good old fashioned sword and boarding the thought that they've made shields and blocking better integrated into the game makes me immensely happy.

It felt DS1 levels of good in the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I was getting my rear end spanked trying to parry, although to be fair I was never very good with that even back in Dark souls. I feel like it's hard to tell exactly when the parry "connects," as in at what frames is the parry working vs me just back-handing my shield into the void and getting skewered?

I'm getting old enough that my once-average reflexes are not just garbage. I might just stick with a magic build and do my usual cast spell and run like hell. Didn't get deep enough into the game, but I noticed no real sorcerer starting class. I went with Champion which was fun, but Prophet was hot garbage and I didn't see any other real spellcasting options.