Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What was so special about Boba Fett's dad?

Palpatine knew Jango had the skills and contacts to draw the jedi into the trap he was laying. Having a perfect clone "son" made was his price for doing all the work.

Him also being the source of the entire clone army was pretty much just a byproduct of that. The Kamino scientists had been told to make a clone army and also to make a clone for this one guy, they decided to do what all bureaucrats do - cut corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pilchenstein posted:

He could shoot two guns at the same time, which always looks cool.

A buncha elite clones literally do this

Though seems more Jango had all the traits they liked physically and most of the mental stuff they could program. IIRC was an issue later on that they'd stretched their genetic material to the limit, partly why they started putting regular dude recruits in the armour instead of new clones. Of course, the whole point of a clone army is an expensive but fast way to put trained, skilled and eager dudes in suits rather than go through the rigmarole of actually recruiting and training people to filll your army.

Actually becomes a bit of an issue in The Clone Wars where while the army is nearly all clones with jedi officers, the navy is regular folks and usually toffs, including ones like say, Tarkin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

They gently caress around enough with the genes that the clones grow up to be adults in a few years, I guess they would also get all the bits and bobs fixed at the same time.

Yeah but like why not make them 9ft tall and bulletproof skin? Or have extra arms or something.

Seems weird that the ideal army would just be a bunch of humans.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but like why not make them 9ft tall and bulletproof skin? Or have extra arms or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwUdL9qXjk&t=16s

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the multi-source clone army package is way more expensive and Master Sifo-Dyas was notoriously cheap

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

why not give them powers like superman

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why not give them a lightsaber instead of a penis?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It was a fuckup. Palpy told them to clone the ultimate bounty hunter and thought it was blatantly obvious he meant the shapeshifting assassin from episode 2 and not that loser jango fett.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Why not give them a lightsaber instead of a penis?

See how that turned out for the Jedi?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do I?

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

ynohtna posted:

He doesn't give his best material in public. The film is quite clear that he is a Private Joker (a joker for money).

Goofs when you want him to goof

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A buncha elite clones literally do this
The system works.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC was an issue later on that they'd stretched their genetic material to the limit, partly why they started putting regular dude recruits in the armour instead of new clones.
Yeah, this is mine for like a lot of sci-fi—they've got faster than light space travel, sentient robots, laser dicks, antigrav, big honkin artificial planets and what-have-you, but woops you got space corona guess you're gonna die 🤷🏻‍♀️ Nothing we can do there bud all we can do is send you to hospice where you'll be cared for by beings of pure energy or some dumb poo poo

I guess maybe the stars trek are better with this but hell, you can make clones with behavior implants that grow up super fast but you don't have PCR?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why would Palpatine want his clone army to be super-powered? They're not supposed to win any wars, just fight some crummy battledroids to a standstill for a few years while the Jedi wear themselves out trying to keep an entire galaxy in check. Did no one watch the movies?

Jango was a mercenary with no underlying health issues, and the Kaminoans clicked print 1,000,000 copies with accelerated ageing and a whole lot of brainwashing. Once the civil war was over the Empire switched from clones & droids to conscription of the people themselves, which is obviously the cheaper and more effective way to control populations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
For years, I thought Sifo-Dyas was one of Count Dooku's monikers. Turns out he was just some guy we never meet until one of the CGI cartoons.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

It was a fuckup. Palpy told them to clone the ultimate bounty hunter and thought it was blatantly obvious he meant the shapeshifting assassin from episode 2 and not that loser jango fett.

The assassin that used an Evil Caterpillar Worm to try and kill a senator.

poo poo, at this point they should have just cloned Padme to gently caress with Vader more.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

sassassin posted:

Why would Palpatine want his clone army to be super-powered? They're not supposed to win any wars, just fight some crummy battledroids to a standstill for a few years while the Jedi wear themselves out trying to keep an entire galaxy in check. Did no one watch the movies?

Jango was a mercenary with no underlying health issues, and the Kaminoans clicked print 1,000,000 copies with accelerated ageing and a whole lot of brainwashing. Once the civil war was over the Empire switched from clones & droids to conscription of the people themselves, which is obviously the cheaper and more effective way to control populations.

okay, but then why wouldn't he give them dog-heads like the god anubis?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Crespolini posted:

okay, but then why wouldn't he give them dog-heads like the god anubis?

Because he didn't want to be constantly horny at work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

I'm going to say a brainwashed army of hulks is actually a better way to control populations, as evidenced by the fact that he spent all his money on stupid wunderwaffe boondoggles afterwards and then lost.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I always assumed it was because you can't be something special in Star Wars without being related to someone else that's special, and George Lucas was worried we might not care about the stormtroopers without knowing they were collectively the dad of the cool bounty hunter we like.

This thread is putting more care and consideration into this topic than anyone involved in the prequels ever did.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

The assassin that used an Evil Caterpillar Worm to try and kill a senator.

poo poo, at this point they should have just cloned Padme to gently caress with Vader more.
Remember, the assassination was a fake setup, it wasn't supposed to work, and the fact that it didn't speaks to the shapeshifter's cunning and guile.

Knowing how utterly incompetent Anakin was, the assassin had to employ a tool that was both alive, so its mind could be detected by the force, and very slow moving, so Anakin would have time to react.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I always assumed it was because you can't be something special in Star Wars without being related to someone else that's special, and George Lucas was worried we might not care about the stormtroopers without knowing they were collectively the dad of the cool bounty hunter we like.

This thread is putting more care and consideration into this topic than anyone involved in the prequels ever did.

Until the new trilogy most of the main characters weren't related to anyone else. Unless you count tie-in novels and memes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Until the new trilogy most of the main characters weren't related to anyone else. Unless you count tie-in novels and memes.

Uh... the original trilogy has three of the main characters related to one another and that is also a central plot point.

The prequel trilogy then goes on to establish bizzare connections between a bunch of the characters too and also make them present at all the major historical events.

George lucas absolutely has a weird thing about it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I still think the clones should have all been Padme.

And I know lots of the EU was poo poo, but I am amazed still how badly Disney shot themselves with the last three. Of course they had to leap ahead timewise, but the fact Leia and Han didn't have twins, and a third kid, means less characters, less toys, less everything. Rey was boring, Kylo was boring, and the twins thing is big in Star Wars. At the very least they should have kept that, and possibly that dog Jedi thing, if only for the toy sales.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And Disney clearly hasn’t jettisoned it entirely since they keep pulling things out of the old EU for ideas so it’s weird they biffed it so hard there

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Lucas is good at tone and scene building. He's a loving awful writer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

There's also a two hour long rebuttal that nerds who are big mad about the video I posted keep discussing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqVGz6mOVE

Good luck making me care in two hours though.

And here's Mark doing something with nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzeCo36ZddQ

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Nov 13, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

Uh... the original trilogy has three of the main characters related to one another and that is also a central plot point.

The prequel trilogy then goes on to establish bizzare connections between a bunch of the characters too and also make them present at all the major historical events.

George lucas absolutely has a weird thing about it.

There's one family in the OT, that's hardly noteworthy. C3P0 is joined onto it in the prequels which is a bit goofy but there were still plenty of characters running around Solo.

Fanfiction and memes have warped people's minds.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Life as a House

Kevin Kline and his annoying son Anakin bond over building a house. At the end Kline dies and you find out he's been building the house to give to a woman that his father partially paralyzed in a car accident many years ago.

It seems like a nice gesture at first, but this is oceanfront property in California so property taxes are going to be incredibly high. This woman is disabled and lives in a trailer park, there's no way she can afford to live there. I'm also not sure if there's any federal taxes on being gifted a house. I remember when Oprah gave her audience new cars they were on the hook for a lot of taxes.

Probably would have been better to sell the house and give her the money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chemtrailologist posted:

Life as a House

Kevin Kline and his annoying son Anakin bond over building a house. At the end Kline dies and you find out he's been building the house to give to a woman that his father partially paralyzed in a car accident many years ago.

It seems like a nice gesture at first, but this is oceanfront property in California so property taxes are going to be incredibly high. This woman is disabled and lives in a trailer park, there's no way she can afford to live there. I'm also not sure if there's any federal taxes on being gifted a house. I remember when Oprah gave her audience new cars they were on the hook for a lot of taxes.

Probably would have been better to sell the house and give her the money.

I am not a lawyer but my understanding is that you can just give a house to a person free and clear with a quitclaim deed but yes they are still responsible for the property taxes. Although in my state you can get pretty much all of them waived if you are disabled.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr Christmas posted:

For years, I thought Sifo-Dyas was one of Count Dooku's monikers. Turns out he was just some guy we never meet until one of the CGI cartoons.

That's definitely how I read the scene, too. It even makes more sense, given Dooku was not only once a jedi, but Yoda's apprentice.

Instead some rando jedi has a vision, travels to one of the satellite galaxies of the Star Wars main galaxy and convinces a bunch of giraffe people to make millions of clones, no money down.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Demons are officially played out as horror movie antagonists. So many modern horror movies (conjuring, stuff like hereditary, the latest paranormal activity) just base the entire spook-factor on the demon's name being revealed and people google it and go "oh, that's not Just Another Demon". But it never really does anything to warrant that reputation.

and can we talk about how these towns keeping an ancient threat contained lure sacrifices? They are just asking for disaster - they let them bring friends, they let them bring cameras, they let them have free roam of the town while they get everything set up. I don't think I've seen any movie like this where the demon demands the sacrifice needs to be tricked for several days before getting thrown down the pit or whatever.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Exorcisms are so loving played out. And it's not a recent thing, either.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Oprah tax thing was because specifically filed the free cars as "prizes" instead of gifts so she could claim them as a business expense, despite the audience not agreeing to enter any kind of competition

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

and can we talk about how these towns keeping an ancient threat contained lure sacrifices? They are just asking for disaster - they let them bring friends, they let them bring cameras, they let them have free roam of the town while they get everything set up.

I read this in Trump's voice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

packetmantis posted:

I read this in Trump's voice.

I WANT SACRIFICES
I WANT SACRIFICES

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

sassassin posted:

There's one family in the OT, that's hardly noteworthy. C3P0 is joined onto it in the prequels which is a bit goofy but there were still plenty of characters running around Solo.

Fanfiction and memes have warped people's minds.

Threepio was built by Vader.

Obi Wan owned R2.

Chewbacca and Yoda served together in the war.

All the clone troopers are Boba Fett's dad.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

- The emperor mentored Luke and Leia's mom

- Everything important takes place on loving Tatooine (not necessary part of the family it just bugs me)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes that's what I was getting at, the whole trilogy basically centers around making it so that a bunch of the characters from the original trilogy all actually knew each other beforehand and all went to the same places.

Which to a degree I'm sure could just be a desire to reuse marketable characters, but at the same time it basically means that the entire story can only be moved forward by a handful of people who all know and/or are related to each other.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jango was fit enough and willing to keep a secret I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Massive hog