Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've noticed lately that a lot of real brands aren't even selling on Amazon anymore, probably because they are so tired of getting bootlegged. Was recently looking for basic staple clothing items like tees and underwear and it's all fake made up stuff anymore, very few real brand names left.

The knock off problem is rampant on Amazon and they've done little to nothing to fix it. Absolutely don't buy bike parts there. It's devolving into AliExpress, but at least there you know you're buying cheap knockoff poo poo from the outset, no illusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Speaking of which Halfords have tyres in stock again, marathon plus in various 700c sizes were £35 each in store.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Y’all have a favorite lock that fits in a jersey pocket and isn’t an Ottolock?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

blk posted:

Y’all have a favorite lock that fits in a jersey pocket and isn’t an Ottolock?

How secure? If it's "It's out of sight at a cafe stop and I'm nervous" then the Abus Combiflex. If it's supposed to be an actual lock, then there are no good options because anything light is easy to cut through.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Have you ever wanted a shoe that looks like Venom is taking over your foot?
https://bikerumor.com/2021/10/27/radical-1900-loreone-custom-carbon-road-shoes-ramp-up-3d-printed-production-ltd-still-available/

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Just in time for the winter season.

I find it very odd that 3D printing is touted as though it’s a good thing for production cycle equipment - it’s good for quick prototyping and potentially custom shapes, but it’s not really synonymous with quality production process, and isn’t compatible with decent materials.

Are these printed specifically to fit a scanned version of each buyer’s feet? If not, who cares how they’re made.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

osker posted:

Yo, this is loving wild.
No you see, it's *optimized* (for amazon dollars)

Guinness posted:

The knock off problem is rampant on Amazon and they've done little to nothing to fix it. Absolutely don't buy bike parts there. It's devolving into AliExpress, but at least there you know you're buying cheap knockoff poo poo from the outset, no illusions.
Aliexpress is legit a better option because stores manage their own inventory, and you can choose to buy from a reputable aliE store. On amazon it's a lottery all the way down.

wooger posted:

I find it very odd that 3D printing is touted as though it’s a good thing for production cycle equipment - it’s good for quick prototyping and potentially custom shapes, but it’s not really synonymous with quality production process, and isn’t compatible with decent materials.
This is a hilarious oversimplification but those shoes are still dumb as hell

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 12, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evil_bunnY posted:

This is a hilarious oversimplification but those shoes are still dumb as hell

Yeah, I mean things change, and I know they’re even working on “3D printed” concrete buildings now - I just read it with the same contempt I hold for any business that says “using blockchain” in its marketing.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

wooger posted:

Yeah, I mean things change, and I know they’re even working on “3D printed” concrete buildings now - I just read it with the same contempt I hold for any business that says “using blockchain” in its marketing.

As a slight derail

Agree with your thrust, though there are often context specific advantages

If you are trying to build houses, your giant 3d printer run by a handfull of technicians for a week may end up being faster / cheaper than traditional building methods

Accommodating a small printer farm onsite could work for small run production businesses

This sort of thing is super finicky and highly context dependent , and 3d printing by and large sucks for mass manufacture

/Derail

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

3d printed contruction is mostly real dumb because for most structures it's not the framework that takes time, it's the million little things around it (fluids, energy, moving elements, isolations, etc).

3d printing is awesome for rapid prototyping, and build quality can be awesome if you actually do your homework.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gahmah posted:

Hit a screw that punctured the inner rim on my rear wheel, any 700c 130mm Hub 6 bolt disc brake sized wheels anyone can recommend?

Seems I might just have to buy a new bike

I might have a spare rear wheel I can sell you for dirt cheap!

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

gamera009 posted:

I might have a spare rear wheel I can sell you for dirt cheap!

Turned out it was measured incorrectly and it was 135mm, was able to get a wheel from a shop in town.

Clearly one tech telling me the wrong measurement means I need to buy all the tools myself for Christmas. Why, it'll be a savings after the first 5 or 10 times I gently caress up doing my own repairs.

Or buy another bike. One bike been good, two bike twice good?

:thunk:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

3d printed can also count as they 3d printed the mold, or positive, smoothed it out then made a proper mold out of that, then made the actual product. There's a lot of interesting ways you can make a good solid product out of 3d printed production steps which speed up the custom tooling process significantly.

Take a 3d scan of your foot and send it to the company, they print it, builds a shoe around it, make a mold, etc.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

3d printing doesn't have to be squeezing plastic out of a hot glue gun. Laser sintering opens up creating metal objects with internal shapes that would be otherwise impossible.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Did any other UK Goons get a ride london spot? keen on screaming memes at people whilst trying to cling onto their wheel

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
This is getting far afield but I worked for a company that 3D printed (using laser sintering of metal powders) dental crowns, and stuff like that (custom organic shapes) is a perfect application of the technology.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Did any other UK Goons get a ride london spot? keen on screaming memes at people whilst trying to cling onto their wheel

Completely forgot to apply this year

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I just assumed it was the usual ballot that never gets me a place as I'm too young so didnt bother applying again.

Shame.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

6 trips on the bike today across all 4 cardinal directions

How did I get a headwind in all of them

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Climbing hard, or even slightly hard, or even medium minus or whatever, fucks me up so quickly. Can I just do climbing intervals like 1 min on, 2 min off and get better at it?

Also, my chain started skipping a bit when climbing, I assume it's the indexing that's slightly off. It's quiet elsewhere, but I'm guessing that the extra torque makes things flex a bit more so the chain starts catching on the inner sprocket. Does that sound right or could it be something else?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last night my housemate had all his bikes (commuter, carbon road bike, alu gravel bike) stolen from out the back of our house. The thieves broke down the security gate to the estate to get in.

For some reason they only took the rear wheel of my surly, and all my other bikes are stored indoors so I've gotten off comparatively lightly; he, on the other hand, has been wandering around the house occasionally shouting "gently caress" which is a fair enough reaction.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Last night my housemate had all his bikes (commuter, carbon road bike, alu gravel bike) stolen from out the back of our house. The thieves broke down the security gate to the estate to get in.

For some reason they only took the rear wheel of my surly, and all my other bikes are stored indoors so I've gotten off comparatively lightly; he, on the other hand, has been wandering around the house occasionally shouting "gently caress" which is a fair enough reaction.

That sucks a lot and for some reason I think it reflects really poorly on Surly.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ola posted:

Also, my chain started skipping a bit when climbing, I assume it's the indexing that's slightly off. It's quiet elsewhere, but I'm guessing that the extra torque makes things flex a bit more so the chain starts catching on the inner sprocket. Does that sound right or could it be something else?
Skipping specifically refers to a chain riding up over the teeth of a cog and skipping forward. It is a sign of a worn cassette and most often happens when a new chain is put on.

It sounds like you're describing cross chaining.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The wheel was a shimano RX010, it was more likely that they were unlikely to flip a 64cm frame

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Skipping specifically refers to a chain riding up over the teeth of a cog and skipping forward. It is a sign of a worn cassette and most often happens when a new chain is put on.

It sounds like you're describing cross chaining.

That could be it. Should maybe have been in the big ring and a bigger sprocket.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ola posted:

That could be it. Should maybe have been in the big ring and a bigger sprocket.
Eh.... Maybe you should take it to a bike shop and see if you can show them what it is doing.

Hard to judge if it is a bike or technique issue from text.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It’s that time of year in the Bay Area. Aka bring lights or you will probably die. Winter fog is different than summer fog.

e: Gosh the uploader is dumb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

How fast are you going to stick to the wall like that? :allears:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I had to kick my first car today when some geriatric white fucker decided encroaching on the bike lane I was using was the right way to turn around because he didn’t want to wait at the rail crossing anymore. I had our 2 kids on the bike. gently caress

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

I had to kick my first car today when some geriatric white fucker decided encroaching on the bike lane I was using was the right way to turn around because he didn’t want to wait at the rail crossing anymore. I had our 2 kids on the bike. gently caress

Had exactly the same deal last night with a dude turning left on a red arrow

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I keep telling you guys to keep small ball peen hammers on your top tube. A gentle tap on a drivers window with it is like spraying your cat.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

osker posted:

I keep telling you guys to keep small ball peen hammers on your top tube. A gentle tap on a drivers window with it is like spraying your cat.

Great way to get shot in much of the US.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

marshalljim posted:

Great way to get shot in much of the US.

yes, that too.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Boogalo posted:

3d printed can also count as they 3d printed the mold, or positive, smoothed it out then made a proper mold out of that, then made the actual product. There's a lot of interesting ways you can make a good solid product out of 3d printed production steps which speed up the custom tooling process significantly.

Take a 3d scan of your foot and send it to the company, they print it, builds a shoe around it, make a mold, etc.

Sup

Will never pass up a chance to shamelessly post my shoes

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
^^^ how did you do the footbed, is it perfectly moulded to the bottom of your foot or just flat?

evil_bunnY posted:

I slapped the back of a car that was reversing into about 10 people (including me), they were only checking one direction of the two way bike lane. Some idiot put parking spaces on either side of the bike lane which is hell for everyone during rush hour.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the step-through design mainly for old people, I see if often on cargo/utility bikes (and I think in other countries like NL, it's pretty much every bike you see in the city)

https://www.thehubbikecoop.org/product/marin-larkspur-1-381099-1.htm

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Step throughs are sweet. It's not a very stiff design so they have to make up for it by using thicker tubes, which brings up the frame's weight more. You're not going to see step through frames on time trials bikes any time soon. But I like step throughs. They're comfy and easy to wear ride.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

actionjackson posted:

is the step-through design mainly for old people, I see if often on cargo/utility bikes (and I think in other countries like NL, it's pretty much every bike you see in the city)

Essential for anyone in skirts, dresses, tight trousers etc, and really just adds to the comfort and lack of effort / flexibility required to ride about.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

The Norco Scene is an amazing commuter. Specialized makes a similar bike. We're probably going to see more and more unisex step thru bikes hit the market as boomers get older and get their hips replaced in greater numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

The Norco Scene is an amazing commuter. Specialized makes a similar bike. We're probably going to see more and more unisex step thru bikes hit the market as boomers get older and get their hips replaced in greater numbers.

I'm 39 :smith:

I just like the style, but strictly for slow going utility/cargo purposes. I WFH so no commuting need