Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

printers are fine. the people who complain about them endlessly are mostly just incapable of using a computer correctly

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

printers are fine. the people who complain about them endlessly are mostly just incapable is using a computer correctly

Nice.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

"the build chain isn't that bad"

its fuckin javascript why is there a build chain at all

because node is a server side runtime and most js runs in the browser, so the build chains figure out all that fuckery and package up server side poo poo for browser use. also you get to target assloads of browsers/platforms through polyfills and it does optimisations and poo poo

it sucks rear end and is hilariously over complicated, it’s a miracle it works at all like most computer stuff

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

rotor posted:

this isn't any more of a stdlib than the window object is eye em oh

Fair enough, but the build step still exists so you can bring in left pad for the browser and the like

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gentle Autist posted:

it sucks rear end and is hilariously over complicated

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sweevo posted:

printers are fine. the people who complain about them endlessly are mostly just incapable of using a computer correctly

god drat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Sweevo posted:

sometimes an unpopular opinion is the correct one.

freezingprocess
Mar 25, 2005

Working the Help Desk at a military installation dealing with incredibly proprietary software is a great way to obtain the experience you need to join the tech industry.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

we need fewer computers and servers overall, and they need to be less powerful (but still be more energy-effective). That way they can force everyone including business processes to aggressively narrow down their feature set and implementation to absolutely core functionality and become prohibitively expensive for all the frills or non-core features, which in turn would enforce radical simplicity and stall the overstepping of computers into our lives.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

people need to use awk more

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
haven’t read a page but: JavaScript is pretty good now. I’d must rather write a node express api than a Java springboot one. as long as you’re not running in a browser the idiosyncrasies are mostly ignorable

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

we need fewer computers

this is the UNpopular tech opinions thread

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

people need to use awk more

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

using google, facebook, or instagram is loving insane

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

android is fine. the back button is good

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

there are too many languages. all this go/swift/rust stuff is just showing off.

e: "please, let me write some rust" said nobody ever. They have played us for absolutely fools.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
c++ is a bad language with unmaintainable complexity, and the steering committee should get hit by a bus because it's the only way they'll leave well enough alone.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 14, 2021

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

PokeJoe posted:

android is fine. the back button is good

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

c++ is a bad language with unmaintainable complexity, and the steering committee should get hit by a bus because it's the only way they'll leave well enough alone.

what's the unpopular opinion here?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

dogs rule cats drool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The_Franz posted:

what's the unpopular opinion here?

most people think the committee should be hit by a train

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

haskell is one of the easiest programming languages to use for most things

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
virtualized mainframes are fine.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'd like more blue LEDs aimed directly at my eyeballs thanks

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

this monitor isn't glossy enough

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

this monitor isn't glossy enough

is it unpopular to say that matte screens were better? if so: matte screens were better.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rotor posted:

is it unpopular to say that matte screens were better? if so: matte screens were better.

who doesn't love a mirror finish glitterball when looking at a computer???

animist
Aug 28, 2018
the unix philosophy, like most programming advice, is made-up bullshit by dudes who wanna pretend to be obi wan kenobi

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

java/c# etc are a lot more productive than all the trendy new languages (python, go, rust, typescript etc)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the hp dv series of laptops were actually good if you were a retro greaser type, as they slowly regenerated a layer of oily secretions that did excellent duty as pomade

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

animist posted:

the unix philosophy, like most programming advice, is made-up bullshit by dudes who wanna pretend to be obi wan kenobi

the unix philosophy was less a philosophy and more an agreed set of excuses to be trotted out to explain why unix was a pile of poo poo.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Python is a toy language and any benefits you think you got from, "programming is fun again" vanish quickly as your project scales. Managing large scale python projects is hell and I'd rather be in C++ than python most of the time

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Python is a toy language and any benefits you think you got from, "programming is fun again" vanish quickly as your project scales. Managing large scale python projects is hell and I'd rather be in C++ than python most of the time

It's supposed to be unpopular opinions

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

people who think you can and should measure everything and that if something isn't measurable it doesn't exist are the reason organizations can get large in the first place, but also the reason they start being absolutely terrible once at that size.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's why I start to measure from the balls

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
jira is objectively bad, and scrum ruins developer productivity

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

scrum sucks rear end. just put tickets on the board and I'll do them when I have time

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

god drat what was the last year you could get a matte mbp? like 2012? :rip:

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
said this somewhere else, but: "machine learning" is lovely signal processing

animist posted:

all algorithms for solving hard problems amount to simulated annealing / gradient descent (which are the same thing in practice)

corollary: everyone in signal processing told people this at least 40 years ago and got summarily ignored

cheque_some posted:

using windows and wsl for a development machine instead of a mac is good and fine

as a very dumb EE/data clown, how exactly would one do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

rotor posted:

yeah your screen looks better when it's off