Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm wondering how many containers full of Platinum Jubilee tat have been ordered and are already slowboating their way over from China. The poundshops are going to be full of them for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm wondering how many containers full of Platinum Jubilee tat have been ordered and are already slowboating their way over from China. The poundshops are going to be full of them for years.

If I was importing these and she pops her clogs while my stuff is still making it way through the Suez Canal I'd definitely destroy all but like ten of the wall-display plates that play God Save The Queen every hour on the hour, wait a couple of years, and flog them to collectors for a couple of grand apiece.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hannahITV/status/1459914749706125316

What the gently caress?

e: Other posts with photos seem to suggest if there was an "explosion" it was tiny:

https://twitter.com/Lili_P_EFC/status/1459910669638246413

Possibly just a car fire with the reported explosion being the tyres/bumpers/fuel tank cooking off. Still horrible and grim but a bit less horrifying than the idea of someone actually trying to bomb a hospital.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 14, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Kew anon, surely?

E: queue anon possibly, as them british people love queues am i right guuuys

Queen-anon

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would not be surprised to find, with the way the press is and us being on the cusp of trans visibility week, if some crazed terfling saw an unusually tall woman go in there and decided to protect womens spaces by blowing one up.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also how the *gently caress* do people browse YT without an adblocker?

No sane person does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Kew anon, surely?

I did the beavis and butthead laugh at this just so you know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

No sane person does.

Not for long, anyway.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

josh04 posted:

"This is what Princess Diana said we are all waiting for" is some primo Brit-anon, right?

Here in the UK we call it queue-Anon

E: drat I was beat :argh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh goody. Government flailing? Let's throw a war party.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/14/uk-must-be-ready-for-war-with-russia-says-armed-forces-chief

quote:

The outgoing head of the UK’s armed forces has said the military will have to be ready for war with Russia after recent tensions in eastern Europe, but he does not believe Vladimir Putin really wants “hot war” with the west.

Gen Sir Nick Carter said Russia was now a greater threat in eastern Europe than it was when he started in the role eight years ago, as he gave a series of interviews before his departure as chief of the defence staff at the end of the month.

He said he “distinctly hoped” there would not be a war with Russia and he did not believe the country wanted a physical war, but Nato would have to be ready.

etc

:britain: :ussr: :zpatriot: :mcnally:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
do these bellends just keep forgetting Russia has nukes, who cares about our lovely army?

If a war with Russia goes hot it's over

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

*grabbing the waiters sleeve* excude me my good man, this gazpacho war does not appear to have been adequately heated

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who had "start a war with Russia during winter" down as Johnson's distraction from the corruption?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i can just see these nasty little neoliberal nerds getting all excited at the fabled Nato/Russia conventional war, promised them by Tom Clancy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Who had "start a war with Russia during winter" down as Johnson's distraction from the corruption?

It's a traditional fascist tactic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wanted Tom Clancy. Got Tom Lehrer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

do these bellends just keep forgetting Russia has nukes, who cares about our lovely army?

If a war with Russia goes hot it's over

I don't think nukes work the way you think they work. Nuclear-armed states have been at war with each other more or less constantly since 1945, they've just found ways of doing it at arms length to pretend they're not fighting each other to get the nukes involved. It's not like there's a Dead Hand that's programmed to unleash 500 megatons at us the moment it detects residue of Biscuits Brown in Sevastopol.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think nukes work the way you think they work. Nuclear-armed states have been at war with each other more or less constantly since 1945, they've just found ways of doing it at arms length to pretend they're not fighting each other to get the nukes involved. It's not like there's a Dead Hand that's programmed to unleash 500 megatons at us the moment it detects residue of Biscuits Brown in Sevastopol.

Of course not. Whether they're in the Crimea or the colon, it's Biscuits Fruit that trigger armageddon.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Biscuits Brown.

Is this like, rhyming slang for blackhawk down or something?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Russia's not nuking anyone. They've successfully taken out their enemies on British soil several times in the last decade with no consequences, just ask the people of Salisbury. After the first half a dozen senior politicians, military commanders and royals mysteriously die, Britain will declare victory and announce that, in a shocking twist, it turns out that Putin is in fact next in line to the British throne. All Hail King Vladimir I!

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 14, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's going to be like that ww2 aircraft damage study, only we're going to have all the Boris Johnson and Liz Trusses survive while the anyone remotely intelligent will mysteriously sicken...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

Is this like, rhyming slang for blackhawk down or something?

I was assuming army rations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So are people living in East Ham called East Hamsters? Cos I am one now. No longer :smugdog:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

feedmegin posted:

So are people living in East Ham called East Hamsters? Cos I am one now. No longer :smugdog:

Maybe the East Hamish?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eastern Hamites, but you have to be careful people don't think you're some sort of German caliper weirdo when you use it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

feedmegin posted:

The Hammerites. All hail to the Master Builder.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

You know the question has never come up because nobody's ever talked long enough about East Ham to need to shorten it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Just realized something.

Do the British know why Eastern Europe has a tradition of putting rugs up on the walls?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume the same reason everywhere used to have that tradition, which is cos the walls are loving cold and also nobody has invented wallpaper or cavity wall insulation yet.

I thought everywhere that built out of stone put rugs on the walls.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

radmonger posted:

What this analysis ignores is the existence of the middle class, who have both wealth and wages. So what their interests actually _are_ is subject to analysis, debate and even persuasion. Since Thatcher, they mostly side with capital, largely because unearned money is sweeter than money you have to leave the house to get.

But that could change if a government proposed a lever that would make wage levels as much a matter of politics as house prices and tax rates currently are. MMT can offer that, on a scale a minimum wage never could.

Elections are decided by how the middle class votes. And, in the UK at least, an elected government has pretty much unlimited power. Certainly far more room to manoeuvre than a typical dictatorship, which has to spend virtually all of its energy holding on to power instead of changing things.

There's 3 major points to your argument here and I don't think I really agree with them:

1) That the middle class (defined as holding significant wealth but also living from wages) predominantly votes based around a balancing of their class interests which has meant they favour Tory policy since the 80s.
2) That the middle class so defined decide election results.
3) That an elected government in the UK has 'pretty much unlimited power'.

The first point supposes that Tory policy materially benefits small wealth holders, arousing their favour and getting their votes, and I don't think that really bares out. Tory propaganda projects itself as the party of business appealing to our nation of shopkeepers but policywise it only helps big business and even when it offers some benefits to smaller companies it's delivered in a form that similar benefits are also passed onto larger operations. IR35 implementation, UC limitations on payments to the self employed after a year, the pandemic aid schemes completely loving over small businesses and the self employed, the deliberately created dominance of the finance sector in the economy, no protections for high streets or policy on independant shops all mean a serious lack of actual support for any small wealth holders over decades with the except of housing, which is a non-productive asset and even the initial asset infusion from selling council houses is now gone as most have been sold onto landlords rather than occupants. Small wealthholding voters might feel better under Tory governments but they certainly won't be richer because of it. So either housing is so massive influential that it carries the tides of elections with it (honestly a pretty reasonable position but one which should ring serious alarm bells to any group intent on building a functioning, improving society as landlordism and economies based on non-productive assets is a regressive and destructive instinct even to liberal thought) or there's a broader social force which pulls those votes in time after time - nationalism being the obvious candidate. In either case winning an argument around MMT is likely to be ineffective about winning them over as it will tackle landlordism and the domination of personal wealth as it attempts to move more of the social product into the hands of labour rather than capital or there are other historical forces which will be uneffected by them.

Second point, that small wealth holders decide elections. According to Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy there's only about 1.4 million SME owners with employees which would indicate the owner also having notable capital rather than much larger group (4.6M) without employees - the intellectual middle class of lawyers, accountants, etc and those working construction who are labourers but are involved in tax dodging either on their own or their employers part which doesn't give a strong an indication of their wealth. Now that is a reasonably large chunk of the electorate (assuming they all vote and all vote tory) but is heavily weighted to London and the south of England which generally aren't battleground seats. Blair might have cobbled together a massive coalition of the middle class and the rest of the working class in 1997 but implementing the New Labour manifesto has destroyed Labours core voter working class base ever since and it seems that that move, losing them Scotland particularly, which has doomed them electorally ever since. Even if homeownership in general, 23 million households or so, is taken as the primary force driving voting patterns (not unreasonably) then the issue is the same as on the first point - it's a non-productive asset which only sucks in money, there's bugger all that can be done except for fighting it as it's bad economics, even for the property holders.

Thirdly, the government does not sit supremely above society creating divine laws, it is a powerful entity yes but by two means - that of legal process (seem as moral and correct) and of force. Both can be challenged and used to defeat a government when the opposition to them is strong enough so merely holding state power does not give total control. Class society, with all its own wills and powers, exists well outside of the state. A leftwing government in the UK must then continue to fight the will of the CBI, the Murdoch press, the WTO, the US military, etc to achieve its goals so it must come into power on the back of an irrestiable wave of support and the lukewarm chipping away of power through increased buying power of labour and decreased returns on assets is completely sound logically as a long term plan and very uninspiring politically.

So in conclusion, MMT might well be sound in terms of economic management, it's not a political rallying cry. It's not a key to winning over an important voting bloc nor will it inspire a powerful movement demanding it. Save it for technical discussions amongst comrades rather than arguments and recruiting.

Edit: Also sounds like a bomber was about to target a womans hospital today but the cabbie driving him locked the bomber in the cab. That cabbie's the sort of hero I'm saluting today.

namesake fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 14, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

endlessmonotony posted:

Just realized something.

Do the British know why Eastern Europe has a tradition of putting rugs up on the walls?

No... why?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I never know if this account is real news or not, but holy poo poo if it is. Someone was seriously going to blow up a maternity hospital?

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1460006875815161858

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

I would assume the same reason everywhere used to have that tradition, which is cos the walls are loving cold and also nobody has invented wallpaper or cavity wall insulation yet.

I thought everywhere that built out of stone put rugs on the walls.

Pretty close, additional insulation is definitely a part of it.

But it's also to create a warm room because you can't afford fuel to heat the entire house.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

endlessmonotony posted:

Just realized something.

So that when you shoot the eye with your hook shot and it rotates the corridor you still have something to walk on

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look at this guy who is not familiar with the works of CIA Station chief, Hot Coldman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r9nEdkKWks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

I never know if this account is real news or not, but holy poo poo if it is. Someone was seriously going to blow up a maternity hospital?

Islamic state have been blowing up maternity hospitals since before it was cool. There are some extremely hosed up people out there.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

peanut- posted:

don't mess w/ taxi drivers m8 :mcrappe:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I know this question has been asked before but I couldn't remember the answer when my friend asked me tonight. She wants to join a union, her workplace isn't unionised. Is it IWW that this thread normally recommends under those circumstances?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

loving Hell, what an actual hero if this is true. Did he manage to get out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

peanut- posted:

This nation owes a debt of gratitude to everyone whose misbehaviour forced taxis to become rolling prisons.
Wear your vomit stains with pride, "cleaning surcharge" dodgers.