Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It’s not truly the 90s until we get a lovely 16 bit game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Vashro posted:

I think I have greatly underestimated both how much peoples internet avatar means to them and how much extra money people have

I mean, look at some of the avatar accessories on gaiaonline. Some sell for goddamn Paris apartments.

Internet people are loving insane.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
A TV show about NFT? A TV show that requires an NFT to view? A TV show created using NFT?

What?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A TV show where each scene is an NFT and you have to buy multiple scenes (but there's only one each) to make an episode. Also some scenes are duplicates but a character is a slightly different colour.

Yeah. That'll do it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

it's a get-rich-quick stunt, of course

they're trying to boost the value of the bored apes they own by associating them with The First Crypto Cartoon, while also creating a whole new cryptocurrency based on the TV show

for each episode, they'll mint a NFT which explicitly does not transfer any ownership rights, split it into 333 fractional NFTs*, and sell them off

holders of those NFTs will get an infinitesimal percentage of streaming revenue (paid in fractions of other NFTs), the chance that their NFT might be featured in the show, and so on

*as far as I can tell, the point of fractional NFTs is for when someone wants to scam incredibly gullible people who don't have enough money to buy a NFT at current going prices. just thinking about this makes my head hurt

Gutcruncher posted:

A TV show about NFT? A TV show that requires an NFT to view? A TV show created using NFT?

What?

it's a TV show where all the characters are based on NFT pictures. who doesn't want to see the wacky adventures of Bored Apes 6614 and 6408?

the point is just to make the featured NFTs look like desirable and unique commodities, distinguishing them from the rest in hopes that it'll convince people to pay more for them. there may be ten thousand procedurally generated bored apes that all look like complete garbage, but how many were in a cartoon?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the writing has to be neural network spiderman elsa tier

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Just remember folks, we're maybe a couple months from the top. Then you get to hear about everyone getting crushed by the crypto drop and forgetting it exists for a couple years.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Just remember folks, we're maybe a couple months from the top. Then you get to hear about everyone getting crushed by the crypto drop and forgetting it exists for a couple years.

don't tease me

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

And here I thought Stoner Cats would be the worst crypto related animation out there.

https://www.stonercats.com

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

If right clicking the ape upsets them so much, imagine how mad they’ll get about the billion deviant art albums of the apes loving cartoon ponies if the the cartoon becomes popular. And even if it doesn’t.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
http://twitter.com/idekmort/status/1458649440743411713

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 14, 2021

Largeguy
Nov 16, 2003

Insurance Bot is here. He gonna indemnify yo ass.
God, that Twitter thread is something. It's 95% NFT avs complaining about opensea and they're still getting tailed by reply bots plugging more crypto.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

syntaxfunction posted:

A TV show where each scene is an NFT and you have to buy multiple scenes (but there's only one each) to make an episode. Also some scenes are duplicates but a character is a slightly different colour.

Yeah. That'll do it.

Each scene, lol rookie

You mean each frame (animated at 24fps then multiplied out to be120fps for 6x the grift, natch)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

“Hey, this website made for scamming people out of money has terrible customer service!” - very smart crypto investor people

Also lol that these rubes keep doing the “we made $X million USD from fees”, fuckin’ cash it out and flex it you losers. I don’t want to hear what you could potentially make if you could sell your emissions pogs at top dollar, show us what you got.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Main Paineframe posted:

*as far as I can tell, the point of fractional NFTs is for when someone wants to scam incredibly gullible people who don't have enough money to buy a NFT at current going prices. just thinking about this makes my head hurt
Wait, this all has to be done off chain right? Like my understanding of an NFT is that it's basically plaintext wedged into the ledger, so you can't segment it. The mechanics behind this have got to be the dumbest thing.
Like I know you can keep fractionalizing actual coins, because they're just numbers. You just say a smaller number moved, you can't really shorten links. Does this mean they just produce a second NFT and declare both to be valid? (Therefore making each one worth half?)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You know what will me be richer than a million Jeff Bezos'?
Buying a jpg from a weeb webcam girl.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, I own a corner pixel of a very rare ape picture, there are only three more people in the entire world who can say the same. Anyway, what do you do for a living?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait, this all has to be done off chain right? Like my understanding of an NFT is that it's basically plaintext wedged into the ledger, so you can't segment it. The mechanics behind this have got to be the dumbest thing.
Like I know you can keep fractionalizing actual coins, because they're just numbers. You just say a smaller number moved, you can't really shorten links. Does this mean they just produce a second NFT and declare both to be valid? (Therefore making each one worth half?)

No. Remember that with Eth you can basically put a program in control of a wallet. You buy an NFT with a wallet, set up a program that says "here's ten slots, if the wallet addresses in these ten slots agree to do a thing with the wallet contents then the thing gets done, and each of the ten slots can reassign itself to another wallet", then sell those slots as "fractional NFTs".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I've had a meeting salesman for a ERP system last friday who claimed their software was powered by the blockchain. This set a number of alarm bells, until I actually looked at what they're selling and realized they're using a normal, functional SQL db. :psyduck:
The salesdude seemed to think "blockchain" was just a synonym for "database" or something.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raygereio posted:

I've had a meeting salesman for a ERP system last friday who claimed their software was powered by the blockchain. This set a number of alarm bells, until I actually looked at what they're selling and realized they're using a normal, functional SQL db. :psyduck:
The salesdude seemed to think "blockchain" was just a synonym for "database" or something.

Good salesman

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Raygereio posted:

By this time next year their tech will be powered by "quantum AI."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

they produce a bunch more NFTs where the plaintext says "this is a fraction of this other NFT", and they rig it to a smart contract which gives holders of the fractional NFTs the ability to vote on what happens to the larger NFT. also, sometimes fraction-holders have to pay monthly fees to the original NFT holder

honestly, it sounds incredibly impractical for real-world usage. but the intended use case is "we want to pull more suckers into the NFT market, but the price of NFTs is too high for them to afford even one, and we don't want to lower the price". so it doesn't really need to be practical

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gutcruncher posted:

What?

I will start the bidding at $100,000.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So is bitcoin/tether/NFTs just the financial/investment version of covid

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EorayMel posted:

So is bitcoin/tether/NFTs just the financial/investment version of covid

I would say No because Covid actually does something, but if you count bringing on the financial Armageddon and wasting green energy gains as doing something, then Yes.

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

You’ll all eat your words when my Afrostar coins make me a gajillionaire!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jose Valasquez posted:

It is extremely boring

This is the more important chart though!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Raygereio posted:

People need a database for ERP-ing? How I long for the days when people would just meet up in Diablo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

today i learned damien hirst got into NFTs

https://opensea.io/collection/thecurrency

and showed it's possible to make even less of an effort than the dress-up character NFTs

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

repiv posted:

and showed it's possible to make even less of an effort than the dress-up character NFTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwK8olyI0zc

art is subjective and all that but uhhh yeah...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why has some nerd just gone with raw zeros and ones, just get the densest and most unique beep boops.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

I will start the bidding at $100,000.

I will give you six dollars and half a bag of butter popcorn

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tag yourself, I'm "she had no proof".

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

repiv posted:

I didn't check his stuff out, I just saw an article the other day reporting about this, and how he's always in tune with the zeitgeist. mamma mia

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Strong Sauce posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwK8olyI0zc

art is subjective and all that but uhhh yeah...

Nice Hitman level

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

drk posted:

There are inflows to Tether:

Its not clear exactly what these inflows represent - it could be customers paying interest, paying off debt, or it could be for some sort of redemption.

from an otherwise long article about Tether flows that isnt too interesting if you've been following: https://protos.com/tether-papers-crypto-stablecoin-usdt-investigation-analysis/

nocoiners in this thread are now browsing on-chain data, ignoring the insanely bullish bitcoin data to post about ambiguous tether data. It's confirmed you're all developmentally disabled (ticker: RETARDED)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A what?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ghosTTy posted:

nocoiners in this thread are now browsing on-chain data, ignoring the insanely bullish bitcoin data to post about ambiguous tether data. It's confirmed you're all developmentally disabled (ticker: RETARDED)

ok

drk
Jan 16, 2005
anyone who unironically uses the term "bullish": lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ghosTTy posted:

Nice cult you got there.