Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Voting Floater posted:

IIRC, didn't the writer say it was actually meant to be that the terraforming stuff brought her back to life? The effect they used for it looked extremely similar to the regeneration effects though so everyone watching took it as a regeneration.

Never heard that and honestly haven't watched the story in so long I largely don't recall much about it, but sure I can run with that as an explanation. For some reason I always thought RTD wrote that episode, but checking up on it, it was Stephen Greenhorn who also did The Lazarus Experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Forktoss posted:

There's a lot of good stuff in The Two Doctors but I don't think it really comes together as a whole. It is a high point in Season 22 (although I do have soft spot for Revelation of the Daleks too), but I still wouldn't call it a proper no-caveats solid-quality serial of the kind you can find in almost every other season of Classic Who. I haven't seen it in ages though, it might be better than I remember!

The first episode of Revelation is really interesting. Lots of running threads, the daleks (and Davros) are just there and doing stuff rather than the story building to a crescendo revealing them (although I suspect the extremely low key first appearance of a dalek is the cliffhanger in the 4 episode cut). Only issue: the Doctor and Peri are essentially in a different story as they never interact with anyone from the indoor sets. It's like the worst bits of the Davison era "loving around in the tardis for an episode and a half" but outdoors.

Second episode though? Blehhhh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

His granddaughter Susan is - as far as on-screen television episodes go - still alive and well. He left her on an alternate future Earth that was recovering from a Dalek Invasion because she fell in love with a man she met there, and she was scooped out of time and later returned there by a Time Lord called Borusa in The Five Doctors as part of his quest to use all 5 of the Doctor's regenerations (note how there were only 5, not millions) up to that current time to infiltrate the tomb of Rassilon so he could discover the secret to immortality/ The secret turned out to be becoming a paving stone, a fate so horrendous that the 10th Doctor would eventually "reward" some poor woman by doing the same to her in Love & Monsters.

If you throw Big Finish audio stories into the mix, at least as far as the ones I've heard she continued to live on the alternate future Earth, had a kid (who died? I don't precisely recall, just that I didn't particularly like the story) and the last I heard the 8th Doctor was doing everything he could to distract her from learning about the Time War and being press-ganged into fighting in it.

Jenny, the character from The Doctor's Daughter, is an accelerated growth clone built from the Doctor's genetic material, and her regenerative capabilities appeared to consist of bringing her back to life as she was as opposed to a full regeneration.

Well gee, I really think The Doctor should check in more often with her! Also, does that mean there's still a lot of room to explore the Doctor's child who produced the grandchild? I want to criticize The Doctor here for being a bad family member, but I can't with this log in my eye and two recent nephews I've yet to see.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Second Doctor also mentions to Victoria in an episode (Tomb of the Cybermen, I think) that the rest of his family are dead, so presumably Susan was the only living member of his family left.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://twitter.com/JohnBishop100/status/1459563621407727616?s=20

I laughted. I don't know why but Chibnall era has produced some good memes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn that's incredible :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Time for the further adventures of the Sugar Skull Gang!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mass Effect: Who Edition.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The more the passenger lurks ominously the more I think about how great it would be if he takes his mask off and its tom baker.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1459815870604005384

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I need the man in the top hat to understand that when I refer to him as "budget geoffrey rush" I broadly speaking mean that as a compliment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I need the man in the top hat to understand that when I refer to him as "budget geoffrey rush" I broadly speaking mean that as a compliment.

Oh man that is wonderful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was hoping the Grand Serpent would be a literal giant serpent or like the Space Pope or something, not some dude in a bad jacket.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

They are really making the most of their green screen and harness budgets this week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No goddammit the Cybermen shouldn't care about command and rule, they should literally only ever be obsessed with survival for its own sake and nothing else :argh:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

No goddammit the Cybermen shouldn't care about command and rule, they should literally only ever be obsessed with survival for its own sake and nothing else :argh:

Agreed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pretty sure the Sugar Skull Gang will have anticipated the Doctor's plan, given she is doing the same thing she did earlier to them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"You lost me quite early on" - Direct quote from the episode, or me talking about this episode?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well whatever theories I had about the storyline are out the window now :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still think Ruth-Doctor is gonna be part of the interim between Troughton and Pertwee at least, but throwing in some random old lady as the true Universe Boss or whatever 3 episodes into a six part season felt like an odd choice, and as best I can gather the Sugar Skull Gang are aware the universe will fall apart and get abandoned by her in favour of a new one and they're cool with that because whatever smoking remains are left they'll get to be in charge of?

Next week does look interesting though!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Mention of the Dark Times, so I'm guessing the Temple is part of Rassilon's web of time creation.

Jo Martin as the Minus One Doctor again! But she doesn't really act anymore morally ambiguous or ruthless than the numbered Doctors have?

The green screen seemed worse this episode. Bel was great, and Vinder has had more personality and plot development in three episodes than Yaz has in three seasons.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, so. Some initial thoughts.

First the good; As usual the cast are doing a power of work with the material they are handed. I'd watch the Vinder and Lassie From The Irregulars Whose Character I Dont Think Was Given A Name This Week Show, which this felt like a pilot for. Would have to maybe punch up that title a bit. The character and set design is absolutely on point. Disco Red Skull is fun as a villain. Reckon people would buy a toy of the space tamagochi which played Vinders video. I feel like john bishop probably had the time of his life pretending to be a space marine for a day. I like Ruth!Doc.

The Bad: Theres no kind way to put this, but... Writing a coherent story with nonlinear time is hugely difficult. Chibnell struggles telling a compelling doctor who story with a conventional linear timeline. What on earth made him thought he could pull this off I have no idea. There was no real through line, stuff just kind of happened. While Vinders stuff was at least flashbacks that gave you some idea who the character was, Dans stuff revealed nothing that we didnt know from the first episode (he fancies the woman from the museum! He's from Liverpool!) and Yas' told us nothing interesting or useful at all. She's the only returning companion from last season, how is she STILL given gently caress all? The passenger was revealed (extremely quickly through dialogue) as being... A container for captive life forces? Or something? Way less interesting that I was hoping. Fan servicey villain cameos kind of backfired for me. As Jerusalem mentioned they got the cybermens motivation badly wrong, the Daleks were so brief and pointless that its only going to fuel that old "Daleks must legally appear at least once a season!" rumor, and the angels at the end... Okay, someone needs to remind the writers that the angels dont move every time anyone blinks. They move when no-one is watching them at all. Thats why the rest pose is covering their eyes, so they dont accidently lock each other by looking. If there are 3 people in the control room one angel shouldnt be a threat at all. Now they immediately solved this by having the lights flash off, but the initial "dont blink!" (it moves) "I think I blinked!" thing was really silly. I still think Ruth!Doc being a pre-hartnell incarnation of the doctor is an incredibly bad idea, and, like all the timeless child stuff, reeks of someone being absolutely desperate to leave a permenant mark on the show without having the skill to do it by writing something good enough that future writers will call back to it. RTD resurrected the show. Moffat created the Weeping Angels. Chibnell... retconned things from before he was actually born.

Basically I'd put this on par with two weeks ago. It was a bad episode, a badly written story, with threads of like... 3 other, better, episodes mashed together. Now, writing yourself an excuse to have an incoherent story doesnt make the story any less incoherent. The cast deserve better than this nonsense.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Especially with how wonderfully done the War Doctor was, Ruth seems like Chibnall rushing in and shouting "wait, I can do that too!". Which is a shame, because Jo Martin has been outstanding in all of her screentime. The timestream stuff felt like "The Name of the Doctor" but less satisfying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seriously, it's so simple to get the horrific pointlessness of the Cybermen right it bewilders me that the show almost never does:

"You're conquering territory, why? For what purpose?"
"We must survive."
"Okay... and then what?"
"We must survive."
"Why?"
"WE MUZZZT SURVIVE!"

They exist to survive. That's it. The original desire by Mondasians to extend their lives out longer has been warped and twisted into a horrifying hollow existence where all the Cybermen know is that they have an unbreakable imperative that they must survive. Not for any reason, not for any purpose, they simply must. THEY MUZZZT!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 14, 2021

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
There's just gonna be a lot of people standing 2 meters apart in front of a green screen talking while VFX comped together on someone's laptop wizzes around in the background. The production values have been the one thing that's just straight up objectively better since Chibnall took over, it's not like the team hasn't demonstrated that they know what they're doing.

We're just gonna have to make our peace with that for the next couple years as TV shot in the height of lockdown gets released. Loki was a perfect example, you could see the exact episode where lockdowns hit because suddenly they were all sitting in chairs 2 meters apart while the camera desperately bounced around trying to give the illusion of the pace of the rest of the show.

Show wise it's....fine. I still have no idea why Yaz is in the show, she's been completely sidelined again and apparently only exists for the Doctor to snap at when she asks reasonable questions. Dan has gotten more fleshing out in 3 episodes than Yaz has in 3 seasons, and is a better character for it. Apart from that, there's just too much going on to really engage with any of it. They're setting up a big mystery puzzle box about the Doctor's history with The Division AND fleshing out Dan AND Space Commander guys backstory AND his partners adventures AND fleshing out the universe post flux AND whatever the thing about the big gimps who eat souls or whatever? Also the hints that the Doctor caused the Flux or something? Also there's time eating bugs and a crazy man with a laser gun in a bunker. No one part was bad, but wow did that go at a pace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"And of course, Big Finish never let a property die...." :allears:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, it's so simple to get the horrific pointlessness of the Cybermen right it bewilders me that the show almost never does:

"You're conquering territory, why? For what purpose?"
"We must survive."
"Okay... and then what?"
"We must survive."
"Why?"
"WE MUZZZT SURVIVE!"

They exist to survive. That's it. The original desire by Mondasians to extend their lives out longer has been warped and twisted into a horrifying hollow existence where all the Cybermen know is that they have an unbreakable imperative that they must survive. Not for any reason, not for any purpose, they simply must. THEY MUZZZT!

Honestly, that was such a perfect set-up for that dialogue that I was genuinely excited waiting for it to be the pay-off. Chibnall's easily enough of a Who nerd to know that too. For shame.

Yaz's sister continues to be far more entertaining and better characterised than Yaz, despite having had a fraction of the screentime. I'm liking Vinder and I was happy that we got an answer on who the random woman was within the episode, since I was expecting that to be yet another thread to be maybe answered in episode 6. I am also disappointed that the grand serpent didn't turn out to be a literal massive snake though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy anniversary to Night of the Doctor and happy birthday to Paul McGann

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Huh, the recon of 'Galaxy 4' is out tomorrow. Must get a co-
[sees prices online]
Okay, I can wait a bit longer for the Chumblies. Who pays £15-20 for a DVD any more? Well, apart from Peter Capaldi, presumably.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
That was noticeably less entertaining than the last couple of weeks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okay, new crazy theory based on very little actual information time since my last one has been so soundly destroyed now: Bel and Vinder's kid is gonna end up being the Timeless Child and it turns out this was all a big ol' loop that allows Not-Rassilon to figure out regeneration, that eventually leads to the Doctor meeting Vinder and eventually Bel and they stop the flux and the kid gets ejected out of the now discarded time-crazy timeline and meets Not-Rassilon who figures out regeneration that eventually leads to the Doctor meeting etc etc

How does the Master and his bullshit made-up story about the Doctor being the Timeless Child fit into all this? Well it turns out, shock of shocks, the Master lied.

I look forward to next week when I discard this theory and come up with some entirely new mad and bizarre idea that will in turn quickly be discarded.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, it’s just bobbling along on ‘alright’ but it’s starting to creak a little, threatening to unravel a lot. We’re already at the halfway point, and things should start being answered.

I do vaguely like the idea of a pre-history war between Time and Space, it’s quite a hard sci-fi concept that borders on the headache-inducing when you start to think about it. Unfortunately it’s got Chibnall behind it, so I have no confidence in actually drawing any decent or exciting story out of it. The dialogue itself seemed unclear about who was fighting what side and for what cause.

One thing I did note was the cinematography about the Mysterious Woman. The camera was super tight around her and the Doctor, not giving any hint of what was surrounding them. I’m assuming it’s deliberate so as not to give the game away about something (or maybe I’m over-thinking it).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Especially with how wonderfully done the War Doctor was, Ruth seems like Chibnall rushing in and shouting "wait, I can do that too!". Which is a shame, because Jo Martin has been outstanding in all of her screentime. The timestream stuff felt like "The Name of the Doctor" but less satisfying.

I think she would have been an amazing choice for 14 instead of Fugitive Doc.

I just really loving hate everything about the Timeless Child and the fact there are Doctors before Hartnell.
It cheapens the lore, and felt like Martin was 'just' wheeled out to show a POC woman in the role.

Liie yeah nah mate, it's 2021 your fanbase is 110% onboard with progressive casting and messaging, just write a good story while you do it.

Can you imagine how much better it would have been to just straight up casually drop the 14 reveal mid-season? The reaction would have been insane.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This one was pretty messy. I reiterate that I keep seeing connections to Death's End, though. I feel like Chibnal read The Three Body Problem series and deceided that he wanted to write a story where The Doctor interacts with some of these premises.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There were no Doctors before Hartnell, he was the first (the original, you might say!*), Ruth-Doctor is gonna end up having been one of the many iterations the Time Lords forced on the 2nd Doctor before he was finally released and became the official 3rd Doctor, which will FINALLY explain the question people have been asking for decades** as to why the poor brain damaged 3rd Doctor kept referring to himself as having been alive for thousands of years when Troughton made it clear he was "only" in his 400s.

* A line read by an actor cast as a replacement for William Hartnell :laugh:
** Nobody has ever asked this question.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
A few observations:
1. Yaz saying the events she appeared in aren't a part of her timestream. Unclear how that is going to be important, but it will be.
2. Dan's house is near/at the site of the Williamson Tunnels. They're going to be important. I am still hopeful Dan's shrunken home will be, too.
3. Chibnall has been rewatching The Time Monster.
4. Space and Time are at odds, but the mission is Love.
5. Everyone is assuming that the Division is in the Doctor's past. The evidence seems to be hinting at that: Karvanista is a "survivor from the Division" and we now know he was at the Temple of Atropos when Jo Doctor seized it. The Division is in Gallifrey's past. The Division no longer exists. The Doctor suggested to the Mouri that they use the same plan as "before," but she's standing in the Timestream and she has no memory of the Jo Doctor's experiences.

How do we know for certain that she's in the Doctor's past, and not her future? Our Doctor might not remember the first battle against Swarm across Space and Time because she's only now fighting it. (Then again, it's Chibnall, so this might be a twist he isn't capable of.) If Time isn't linear, then the second thing could precede the first.
6. What if Swarm escaped because of events which happened subsequent to his escape? In other words, the Flux enabled the escape, and not the escape the Flux. If that's so, then it's possible the Flux is indeed the Doctor's doing.
7. The woman the Doctor met who said the universe is coming to an end could be Chaos. We're in a stasis vs ending/Order vs Chaos model here which throws in Space and Time for good measure, and the Doctor has got to find an alternative to all these dyads. Atropos is the end, death, conclusion, so the Temple of Atropos needs something to balance it out. Williamson seems to be building something, and he put in a brief appearance on the planet Time.
8. If temporal events are scrambled, Jo Doctor could be working to save Jodie Doctor. We know she's out there.
9. If Yaz experienced events that never happened in her past, and the context makes clear that they're unlikely to have been in her future, what's the alternative? Either someone constructs new history and Yaz was seeing part of that, or Yaz had part of her timestream disrupted/eaten. For the latter possibility, we saw the Angel right there.
10. I'm going to be disappointed in the whole "Angels are on the Doctor's side this time" thing, aren't I?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I liked the bit where the Doctor, Yaz, Dan and Vinder stood in for other people, that sort of thing just tickles my fancy bone, but the rest really hinges on landing the bird and I don't trust Chibnall to pull it off, do you?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
3 down, 3 to go.
Also, I keep hearing Atropos as Adipose.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What a fun clusterfuck of people and places changing every few minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I liked this episode better than the past ones. We're starting to see more of the form of what's happening even if the specifics still aren't explained to us, it involves something the Doctor did in her Division years, various other species are just trying to do what they do in the midst of the chaos- everyone's trying to rule in Hell, basically. I kinda like that.