Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Well that was cute, I tried to negotiate with a Koropokkur and my Cironnup took my negotiation spot and they had a talk. turns out they were old neighbours in Hokkaido, so they had a bit of a chat about that! at the end he gave me 3 revival beads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dying in hard mode should delete your save file

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dackel posted:

Well that was cute, I tried to negotiate with a Koropokkur and my Cironnup took my negotiation spot and they had a talk. turns out they were old neighbours in Hokkaido, so they had a bit of a chat about that! at the end he gave me 3 revival beads

Yeah, there are a few of those in the game. They were in Nocturne too and it makes me smile every time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

Still less cool. We shouldn’t compromise rewards for savage gamers because some percentage of people don’t want to interact with the hardest parts of the games.

Actually it owns when you can turn the difficulty up in a game, gamers should feel empowered to have a greater challenge even if they only discover partway into a game they'd have more fun that way

(hell I probably wouldn't have even finished The Witcher 3 if it didn't let me steadily turn the difficulty up as I went whenever it started to get too easy)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When does demon proficiency 2 show up?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

Still less cool. We shouldn’t compromise rewards for savage gamers because some percentage of people don’t want to interact with the hardest parts of the games.

:dafuq:

RBX posted:

When does demon proficiency 2 show up?

Like halfway through the second open world zone.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I started noticing the game running worse as I went on (culminating in it taking quite literally 15 seconds to switch out a demon mid fight, thought I softlocked lol) and I did a full hard reboot of the switch and it runs better. Maybe the game just doesn't play friendly with sleep mode. Not like perfect or anything but better than before!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's been a very long since I played Nocturne and SMTIV: did demons used to remember if you had previously successfully talked them into joining but didn't have room for them? I just did a demon negotiation but forgot that I didn't have room so the demon couldn't join, then I made room and fought that type of demon again and they were like "oh hey, you're back and you have room now" and joined right away. It was cool

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Harrow posted:

Actually it owns when you can turn the difficulty up in a game, gamers should feel empowered to have a greater challenge even if they only discover partway into a game they'd have more fun that way

(hell I probably wouldn't have even finished The Witcher 3 if it didn't let me steadily turn the difficulty up as I went whenever it started to get too easy)

So do it at the beginning.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am very much going to double dip and replay this whole game again on PC in February. It'll be nice to play this at 60fps, as opposed to the 20fps it runs at now. I love my Switch, but holy hell this hardware loving sucks for performance.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

It's been a very long since I played Nocturne and SMTIV: did demons used to remember if you had previously successfully talked them into joining but didn't have room for them? I just did a demon negotiation but forgot that I didn't have room so the demon couldn't join, then I made room and fought that type of demon again and they were like "oh hey, you're back and you have room now" and joined right away. It was cool

It wasn't in Nocturne but someone said it was in IV.

They also do this if you negotiate but are too low level

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Being elitist about difficulty options in a game where you can spend 2 dollars to near instantly hit 99 with max stats is really funny.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Being elitist about difficulty options in a game where you can spend 2 dollars to near instantly hit 99 with max stats is really funny.

They'll even let you do it on hard mode! Stolen hard mode valor :ohdear:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyway the game has cheat DLC and doesn't even have cheevos, if modifying the difficulty up and down and back up again keeps the game fun for someone who cares

You can even do that in Nocturne HD (I dunno maybe SMT fans saw that as sacrilege? I wan't paying attention)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fadam posted:

loving lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Are there any good online demon guides up yet? I always love planning out fusions and stuff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

Are there any good online demon guides up yet? I always love planning out fusions and stuff

Wow, they work fast

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt5/demons

Oh wow the Irish sword guy's name really is Finn McCool

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 14, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

:pwn:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there should be a wiki for the games where hard means "no bullshit hard" versus "has literally played a video game before hard"

IIRC fire emblem 3h was one of the biggest offenders here

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there should be a wiki for the games where hard means "no bullshit hard" versus "has literally played a video game before hard"

I always have difficulty figuring out if a hard mode will be fun for me just by talking with people, too. It's hard to tell whether hard mode in a given game is actually more interesting/strategic/whatever or whether that person's just posturing and trying to seem skilled, or just a masochist who loves it when every random battle is a fight for your life.

JRPGs often just have weird difficulty curves, too, where enemies can't really keep up with the player's power growth (or even a player's skill growth as they learn by playing). Plenty of JRPGs start out feeling well-balanced and fun on Normal but then end up really easy, while Hard mode is tedious at the start but well-balanced later on.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

IIRC fire emblem 3h was one of the biggest offenders here

FE3H's difficulties are definitely weird. It'd be more accurate to call the modes Easy and Normal than Normal and Hard. It still doesn't have a real "hard" mode I don't think--Hard mode is closer to a normal mode, while Maddening is a "kick your teeth in and laugh at your hubris" mode, it's a gigantic leap up from Hard. (Though Maddening with NG+ bonuses was actually really fun so I'm not complaining too much.)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Setting/story wise I don't think it's as good as the ones I've played, and style wise it isn't on Nocturnes level (with some exceptions, i.e. The fusion sequence) , but Im still enjoying it.
Theres a decent amount of mechanically rewarding stuff to find in the open world which is all I need from an open world.
The new mechanical stuff like essences is decent too.

On ryujinx I don't have whatever UI lag issues other people are talking about and with the framerate uncapped it's now as snappy as 4 was.

Thank you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

I always have difficulty figuring out if a hard mode will be fun for me just by talking with people, too. It's hard to tell whether hard mode in a given game is actually more interesting/strategic/whatever or whether that person's just posturing and trying to seem skilled, or just a masochist who loves it when every random battle is a fight for your life.

its not even consistent in the series, persona 5 normal was just ridiculously easy while persona 5 strikers hard was properly nasty if you weren't really good at the actual combat system beyond pausing every so often to spam magic attacks

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, they work fast

https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/smt5/demons

Oh wow the Irish sword guy's name really is Finn McCool

There's no way this is complete, right? It's missing some PRETTY important demons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MoonCrab posted:

There's no way this is complete, right? It's missing some PRETTY important demons.

It's not.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know how much y'all have gotten into it but I'm on a Switch v2 and the framerate is kind of shocking at times. how much are people reporting this

e: and the pop-in for that matter

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got an email that my copy should ship today or tomorrow.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kinda sad that Alice's Die For Me still has the weakness restriction for instakill

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
game needs more demons so I can kick nekomata out of my full cat team. cat girls DO NOT COUNT

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there only 49 of the little bowl hat guys in the second area? I have 99 now after getting all 50 in the first zone and sweeping the second after getting the map filled in. Don't see anymore but this is driving me bonkers.

e: nvm found it lol

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 14, 2021

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Aramasa is ending up my most commonly-used attack for my Physical-focused Nahobino. Having a diet version of Hassou Tobi is powerful, especially since you'll get it in the beginning of the game via the Aogami Type-1 Essence.

Anyway, beaten the second boss due to fusing up a Jack o'Lantern/Pyro Jack and having my Archangel learn Agilao. I also beaten Xuan Wu since, out of the four bosses you have to beat in the first Huang Long quest, he's around Level 23 while the rest are around 40. Currently at the school being overrun by demons part of the game.

Edit: And now I ended up dead due to a random enemy's Mudo because I never changed the Nahobino's affinities at all. All that progress is gone and I'm now at the beginning of the area.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 14, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pyro Jack posted:

Edit: And now I ended up dead due to a random enemy's Mudo because I never changed the Nahobino's affinities at all. All that progress is gone and I'm now at the beginning of the area.

:sickos:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm in the 4th Da'at area now and I feel like my switch is dying there.
In some battles I've had up to 4 seconds of wait time after i select an attack where nothing happens before the attack is finally executed. It's really, really bad.

It doesn't happen everywhere but often enough to be annoying.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What level should I be at when I'm about to go into the part of the city the angel took my friend?

I'm lvl 18 and can't fuse a good chunk of demons and the limited move space is starting to become a pain. It been real easy and the first boss, I guess, didn't land a hit on me. Would've started hard but didn't want to dampen my enjoyment by it being annoyingly hard.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’ve reached a point where I don’t feel shame about increasing Mitama spawn rates occasionally cause otherwise grinding is a pain in the rear end .

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What is the difficulty level modifier anyway?

Is it like Persona 5 Royal where it channels you towards using proper tactics, or is it just a flat "grind more" modifier, because if it's the latter then lmao anyone who goes "you didn't learn, you didn't grow :smugdog: " based on playing it

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
lol Charge+Sakanagi+Magatsuhi Crit is nasty. Dishing out 400+ damage around level 30.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Paul Eiding is a legend, one of the best VAs ever, and a great fit for Nocturne Lucifer. But he's got that same problem Sam Riegel Teddie did in that their voice just doesn't fit a giant monster so they have to add a massive distortion effect and I don't like it. Just like IV Lucy's distorted voice sucked and was way better when Matt Mercer just used a normal voice in IVA.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
When did Lucifer change from atrophied faphand weirdo back to giant 6 winged guy again btw.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

When did Lucifer change from atrophied faphand weirdo back to giant 6 winged guy again btw.

He was only like that in 4. With a redesign of that version in 4a. Those were never used anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is the difficulty level modifier anyway?

Is it like Persona 5 Royal where it channels you towards using proper tactics, or is it just a flat "grind more" modifier, because if it's the latter then lmao anyone who goes "you didn't learn, you didn't grow :smugdog: " based on playing it

I'm currently in the 2nd big area on hard but will probably switch to normal next time I play. I beat the hydra, I've proven my gamer cred. Hard definitely forces you to use every trick at your disposal (items, buffs, statuses) which is all cool and good. However, the one thing I don't like about it is how tanky enemies, especially bosses get. I hate it when I've figured out how to beat a boss but have to go through the same motions over and over again to slowly whittle down their HP. You'll almost always run out of MP during boss battles too, which means the fights take even longer because you have to spend turns restoring your MP.

e: this game could really use a P5R style Merciless mode that cranks the crit/weak damage but leaves HP at a normal level

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 14, 2021