Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Samick just did not give a poo poo about lawsuits, apparently. This one was made well after Ibanez had issues

Harmony Marquis H7000NA, made around 1982 by Samick in Korea, but within a year, they were using this headstock.

Pooper Trooper posted:

Here's a photo of it without the covers. That scratch was already there :mad: guess that's why they put the cover.

The bridge cover is absolutely original, and the pickup one very likely original, too. They are on a lot of the 70s copies, usually covering up a bridge made of random nuts and bolts that was just barely functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I've played 2 mid 70s japanese basses: they played better than fenders from the mid to late 70s and they weighed like 5 pounds. Pickups were a little treble heavy in the one but the necks were great.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Science Goy posted:

Preamp is a John East Uni-Pre 5. Its passive mode is brilliant, like a completely different bass compared to the stock passive sound - it's actually usable and pleasing to play in passive now! Active mode is marvelous too, especially the sweepable mid frequency control. I kept in the Lakland bridge pickup switch as well, I didn't want to lose that coil switch ability.

A preamp with a great passive is the holy grail. Nice work btw, is the battery in a separate cavity on that bass?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Basic Poster posted:

While yall are on the subject of transcriptions, I came across a tune the other day while choring, one of the rare times spotify throws something at me good.

The bass really hit me. I just love those subtle bass lines that sound almost like, not there until you critically listen. This has some pretty tasty little phrases in it, that I am having a hell of a time figuring out. They are mostly always on the pick up (anacruses? If its not just at the beginning of the song?)

It has a bit of a weird structure and since the hook is the same as the verse, with more stuff, I'll write out a section thing for clarity:

2 Bars Drum Intro
4 Bars Instrumental Intro
8 Bars Verse (A)
8 Bars Pre-Chorus
8 Bar Hook
4 Additional Bars Hook + String Melody
:repeat:
Bridge in there later with a cool chord sub.

The first one in question is like a slide to a one octave one thing, maybe one five one thing...not sure, and can't tell what interval it starts on. Its at the end of the fourth bar after all the instruments come in (6th bar in from 0:00).

Second one may be the same, but because of the change after, hard to tell what is being used as the leading tone (Goes to C# minor in the prechorus). So in the fourth measure before the prechorus.

Both are neat little slide licks. If I had that technique in my wheel house, I'm sure I'd play it without thinking about it...but I bet on of you guys do!

Anyways, can't find anyone doing any bass cover or tabbed or charted it yet. Tastes aside, I think its one of the more expertly crafted pop songs I've heard in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHI_WpVLT1g

Did you ever transcribe this? That is some extremely tasty bass playing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
picked my bass up last night and had a lot of fun playing around to one of those lofi hiphop beats youtube stations. All the lines are pretty simple and easy to pick out, and it's almost all electronic so there's no half-step-down tomfoolery.

I like what i got a lot (picked up one of those SX jazz 5's and spent a lot of time setting it up) but am looking at cheap 4's to have another thing to goof with.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

ewe2 posted:

A preamp with a great passive is the holy grail. Nice work btw, is the battery in a separate cavity on that bass?

Thanks, the included wiring is very well packaged which makes clean installations easier. Laklands have a separate battery compartment for easier swaps, which does help free up a bit of space in the main cavity.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I think one of those John East J-Tone preamps might be just the thing as an upgrade for my cv70's Squier, I could tune the active to give it a more 60's sound and leave the passive as is for the spanky 70's tone. I know the J-Retro is very highly spoken of, but it might be overkill. In terms of design I really like them overall, I wish a lot more harnesses were setup with screw terminals.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Science Goy posted:

Thanks, the included wiring is very well packaged which makes clean installations easier. Laklands have a separate battery compartment for easier swaps, which does help free up a bit of space in the main cavity.

I'd love to hear some sound-clips if you ever feel like laying some down!

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Earlier in the year I threw together a "70s" parts P bass, a Squier walnut colored body, EMG GZR pickup, and a maple Allparts neck. It sounded great and I was able to get the action so low on that neck, however the neck felt so huge that even with the low action it was tiring to play.

Years ago I had a 2008 American Precision that I regrettably sold that had a neck that felt great, so I've been on the lookout for a neck from that era (I thought about sanding the Allparts neck down but I don't trust my ability to get the profile correct). Unfortunately American Standard maple fretboard necks seem pretty rare, but I did come across a American Professional II one recently:

I prefer the finish color on the Allparts, Fender's maple finish has a very yellow hue.

To show the difference in neck profiles, I used a pipe cleaner to copy the Allparts profile at the first fret and here's it over the Fender neck:

That's a good millimeter or two difference. Both neck widths are supposedly 1 5/8", though the Allparts is a touch over so that makes the curve seem slightly bigger. The loaded Fender neck is about 6 ounces lighter than the Allparts, with a balance point about a fret closer to the body side so that should be nice when the bass is back together.

One issue with the Professional II neck though:

Its a five screw heel instead of the standard 4. The one in the lower right is in the same position so I'll have an anchor point when drilling out the other ones. I don't have a drill press so I'll need to make a jig to make sure I drill out the other holes correctly.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

prom candy posted:

Did you ever transcribe this? That is some extremely tasty bass playing
This whole album sounds like it would be fun to learn on bass.
https://shura.bandcamp.com/album/forevher
https://open.spotify.com/album/53FOCXSdGQzkFRLpgd2DUT?si=KWu8QDJAR-uhSH1MS7fwaQ

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Basic Poster.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
This thing looks dumb and silly, but I kind of want one. Send help, I already have many basses.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Wait - have Jack Cassidy basses always been asymmetrical? How have I never noticed that?

Either way, they are not dumb and silly, but instead cool and good and you would be cool and good to buy one.

Only in gold though.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Elissimpark posted:

Wait - have Jack Cassidy basses always been asymmetrical? How have I never noticed that?

Either way, they are not dumb and silly, but instead cool and good and you would be cool and good to buy one.

Only in gold though.

Apparently, according to Google images. The little deformed horn still looks funny to me in the stock photos on the stand. Idk where I'd put a fourth bass guitar and I am supposed to be saving for a house... But on the other hand I do have a bunch of overtime at work coming up and have been debating a hollow bass. Wouldn't have to wrestle a big proper acoustic bass either, I am not a fan of the huge size of those instruments. It'd just be for unplugged practice anyways.

And no other color was considered, I'm guessing the left handed only comes in gold anyways. Decisions, decisions.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I've found that wall hangers are the best way to keep guitars in the house. Until you run out of wall space.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Schwza posted:

I've found that wall hangers are the best way to keep guitars in the house. Until you run out of wall space.

I'm slightly paranoid of humidity changes though, more so on hollow instruments, and that's why everything I got is in cases forever. That and I gotta work on buying a house before I can put holes in the wall.

Aren't bass necks notorious for warping owing to how long they are or was I fed a line of bullshit by a clerk trying to sell me a short scale (I made the mistake of mentioning I was vaguely interested in one at Guitar Center and got the spiel).

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you live in a place where the temperature/humidity fluctuates, then you will definitely need a humidifier in whatever room your basses are in.

In other news, I never noticed how cool the bass part to "Footloose" is. Giving another listen I guess the chorus is just a boogie woogie bass line, but it still has some neat things going on. I think it was played by Nathan East.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bADDxJIHNlw

(no I don't know why the guy has a bunch of horror movie masks on his wall)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
That sounds like a line of bullshit to me to be honest. I'm a sample size of 1, but I've been using wall hangers for 3-5 basses for a solid five years and have no issues, and I've played plenty of 30/40/50 year old full scale basses that play great and have no warp (many of which are case queens, but some have been gigged for much of their life).

I'm pretty sure neck warp is a combination of bad luck and bad material selection or workmanship, with no correlation to scale length.

E: Footloose is a hella fun line to play, but definitely takes some time to get it under the fingers. Nathan East did indeed play that, on a Yamaha prior to his signature model being released. I recently saw a video where he complained about the tight string spacing on that particular bass used for Footloose.
I played in the pit for Footloose: the musical a few years back for a local school, and the whole score is enjoyable to play. Shame the script is so bad, because the music is great.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 8, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
It's the northeastern US so it's usually a slowish fluctuation? Right now it's a perfect 50% in the house but I suspect it will be down to 45% or worse once winter hits. For the longest time over summer it was 60% and I'm probably overthinking it because these changes occur over months. It's not like going in and out of the cold immediately or something like that.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If we're talking about the affect of humidity/temperature on wall-hung basses vs non-wall-hung basses, then I agree that's silly. I don't think basses that are hung on the wall are more or less effected by fluctuations than basses sitting on a guitar stand or whatever. But it doesn't seem controversial to say that temp/hum should have some sort of effect on a wooden instrument - I have a Gibson bass with a twisted neck because of too many winter nights with the heat turned off. And since that didn't really save us that much money, I'm going to keep the house at room temperature from now on, with a humidifier going in the winter.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Thinking it's worth asking here since it's on the lowest strings of a Chapman stick... I have issues of tuning. When I hit the note it's a bit sharp but then gets lower in total maybe 15 cents especially on my three thickest strings. Anything I could do to limit that? The intonation seems fine otherwise but that sharp to flat is getting on my nerves.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
current bass twiddling status:

Ordered a set of 5 string jazz rails from that guitarmadness dude on ebay. I think they may add a nifty 80s vibe to this SX hunk of poo poo. (jk i really like this bass and have spent a lot of time setting it up)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This is my favourite song of 2021, mainly thanks to the bass playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa6s2taK8l4

Also it's probably been brought up in this thread before the bass playing in Waterfalls by TLC is fantastic. The first time I heard it again as a bass player I was like :eyepop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i suck dick at bass and i'd like to shred pussy at bass instead. what should i be focusing on aside from usual "finding songs i like and learning them on bass"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What do you want to do on it? Super complicated contrapuntal jazz backing in a 3 piece (Jaco/LaFaro)? Melodic back line stuff (listen to REM, probably a million others people could suggest)? Just chase a particular tone and blast eighth notes as fast as possible (use a pick)? Slap?

Watch a bunch of videos on form and technique for fingerstyle first. Drill your scales just like on guitar (thirds, fourths, etc, up and down both octaves), practice swinging a metronome, and transcribe stuff you think is good. Pull up "no bass backing tracks" on youtube and just try a bunch of stuff out.

Don't gear chase on bass. If whatever you've got sounds pretty good and feels right in your hands, your money can go to much better places than a new bass. Like lessons, or food and gas.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm still in the noob stage of bass myself (so I'm halfway talking out my rear end) but I guess I'd start with the differences in playing technique from guitar. There are extremely useful free beginner vids on youtube from the guy who does the Bass Buzz course on basic plucking and fretting technique. Practice muting strings too that's more important on bass. I assume you know your scales from your guitar work and how to count too, those are also key fundamentals for bass.

So Bass Buzz guy appears to have redone his youtube videos somewhat and combined most of the beginner poo poo into one video:

https://youtu.be/7anFuDXV2j8

I'd pay attention the most to the plucking explanation beginning at 5:50 and fretting at 10 mins or so.

And I personally found these others helpful:

https://youtu.be/crO-k0sR4TM

https://youtu.be/STl_VANwR6s

Dad humor level is off the charts but he is a good teacher. Click around on his channel for other vids that look interesting to you. Or just use studybass instead.

Edit: I'll second the don't bother to gear chase on bass. In general a bass is a bass is a bass, the differences between them are largely personal preference and not super drastic.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 14, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, even moreso than with the guitar, always practice with a metronome or drum track of some kind. Half notes in the pocket are more virtuous than complicated noodling outside the groove.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Huxley posted:

What do you want to do on it? Super complicated contrapuntal jazz backing in a 3 piece (Jaco/LaFaro)? Melodic back line stuff (listen to REM, probably a million others people could suggest)? Just chase a particular tone and blast eighth notes as fast as possible (use a pick)? Slap?

Watch a bunch of videos on form and technique for fingerstyle first. Drill your scales just like on guitar (thirds, fourths, etc, up and down both octaves), practice swinging a metronome, and transcribe stuff you think is good. Pull up "no bass backing tracks" on youtube and just try a bunch of stuff out.

Don't gear chase on bass. If whatever you've got sounds pretty good and feels right in your hands, your money can go to much better places than a new bass. Like lessons, or food and gas.

not to defend gear chasing but my bass is actually not very good. it's a squier affinity PJ and it has horrrrrible neck dive. actually keeps me from playing it, gotta constantly support it with my left hand even when i'm using a strap.

with you in every other respect though. a classic vibe would probably eliminate all the issues i have, i'm well aware that a ton of bass players literally just use D/I. most i'd ever do is get a sans amp, or some plugins to use to emulate an amp and blend that with the dry signal.

also whoops lol i don't even practice my scales like that on guitar

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Edit: I'll second the don't bother to gear chase on bass. In general a bass is a bass is a bass, the differences between them are largely personal preference and not super drastic.

My Stingray with roundwounds and my P bass with flatwounds would like a word.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Bass is a drum, so when all else fails, study rhythm theory

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

My Stingray with roundwounds and my P bass with flatwounds would like a word.

Alright I overstated it a bit. Just didn't want the permutations of pickup style and flat vs round strings to be a distraction.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

i suck dick at bass and i'd like to shred pussy at bass instead. what should i be focusing on aside from usual "finding songs i like and learning them on bass"

The bass is there to tie the drums and guitar together. If the drummer is hitting the kick and you're not playing then you hosed up.

Aside from that it's all personal style in how much melodic information to include, but you need to have that rhythmic information

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Scarf posted:

Bass is a drum, so when all else fails, study rhythm theory

where's a good place to start with rhythm theory, i need to know that

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1j1_aeK6WA

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

https://youtu.be/53dikqNZLgA

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

landgrabber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHE6hZU72A4

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

The bass is there to tie the drums and guitar together. If the drummer is hitting the kick and you're not playing then you hosed up.

For certain genres, yes, for others you couldn't be more ignorant, and making such broad judgemental statements like this and "bass is a bass" are just as damaging to new bassists growth as more complicated statements without clear explanation are.

The bass is as much there to counterpoint the vocal melody, or the guitar melody or the rhythm guitar rhythm or the drum rhythm and the best do this for all of them at the same time.

But for just the sake of rhythm, practice with a metronome, play along to your favourite records and then play with a real human drummer if you possibly can. You will find that playing with a human will teach you something a metronome cannot: how to play with swing, to play before the beat and to play after the beat and that is crucial to some genres (eg soul and funk), that cannot be faked.

As a very broad rule of thumb, American rock bassists tend to play on the beat on the kick as a result of playing straight rhythm lines, and British pop bassists tend to play off the beat of the kick or "around" the beat, usually as a result of playing melodic lines. But those are just examples of two genres and styles, they are not how to play bass, it's a bigger subject than that.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 15, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

landgrabber posted:

Do you know the basics? Like whole/half/quarter/eighth/sixteenth notes, counting beats in a bar, etc?

I actually improved my rhythm a ton by learning piano and reading sheet music. Another fun thing is get a sequencer (like in any DAW) and program some drum beats. You'll learn where the groove usually falls on different styles of music and you'll also get a feel for how you can radically alter a groove by making pretty slight timing changes. After you build your beat, play your bass along with it. Another thing I like to do is draw in MIDI bass lines because then I can come up with rhythms that don't come naturally to my fingers, and then I play those bass lines on my bass.

I switched to playing bass after playing lead guitar for years and it took a while to learn that simple and in time is better than fancy and meandering. Of course that's actually true of lead guitar too but nobody likes to wank to a metronome.

Edit: Also just find songs you like and play along with them, and then try to dissect them a bit. There are tons and tons of great play-along tutorials on YouTube and you can slow them down too. If anyone knows of a Chrome extension that lets you pick a portion of a video to put on repeat that would be great too.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 14, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm a noob at bass and can't get multiple finger plucking to sound good. Anything i hit with my middle or ring fingers sounds different, thinner somehow, and it feels like my timing is off with those as well. Enstrengthen the hand perhaps? And yeah, the nails are trimmed tight.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm a noob at bass and can't get multiple finger plucking to sound good. Anything i hit with my middle or ring fingers sounds different, thinner somehow, and it feels like my timing is off with those as well. Enstrengthen the hand perhaps? And yeah, the nails are trimmed tight.

I don't think most people use their ring finger unless they're doing a specific technique. Just do alternate plucking practice with a metronome. First and middle finger, don't worry about the left hand just play one note. Start really slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
To level up, another thing a bassist should focus on is dynamics.

Take all the 1234 finger diagram warm-ups and use them as a volume level. It gets difficult fast when you're in 3142 1324 4231 etc. territory

The big strong loud 1 probably comes naturally, but try practicing with a quieter 1 and notes 2 3 or 4 being the loudest.