Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

so is "two characters of the same gender have a close relationship but aren't banging" called queerbaiting now

Men aren't allowed to be friends on screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The current theory going around is that Vander is Warwick

It does fit. Funny thing is that I had no idea that Warwicks lore had been changed so much :corsair:. To me he was some dude who served as a mentor to Singed and was so drat evil that Soraka turned him into a werewolf as some sort of punishment, and that really didn't work out since he loved his new form.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Njashi9 posted:

It does fit. Funny thing is that I had no idea that Warwicks lore had been changed so much :corsair:. To me he was some dude who served as a mentor to Singed and was so drat evil that Soraka turned him into a werewolf as some sort of punishment, and that really didn't work out since he loved his new form.

It's interesting how (I am told) they've changed the characters to make more sense for the show. Like apparently Jayce is acting out of character being so concerned for others? That said LoL lore feels so fragmented that just picking and choosing is probably the best option.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Njashi9 posted:

It does fit. Funny thing is that I had no idea that Warwicks lore had been changed so much :corsair:.

Back about five years ago, they started to completely redo the lore and attempt to create a cohesive setting out of the scraps and blurbs that had been written before. It's a fascinating artistic challenge: they had to find ways to keep elements of the older lore that fans loved while simultaneously making a solid enough foundation for future storytelling. I personally think they did a pretty drat good job considering what they were handed; you have champions like Miss Fortune that went from "sexy pirate gag character" to someone with a shocking amount of personality and depth.

Dawgstar posted:

It's interesting how (I am told) they've changed the characters to make more sense for the show. Like apparently Jayce is acting out of character being so concerned for others? That said LoL lore feels so fragmented that just picking and choosing is probably the best option.

They've always played a bit fast and loose with the lore, even after the big revamp. I think it's a consequence of them not entirely knowing the direction they wanted to head with the lore, nor the kind of stories they wanted to tell, so they've kept things ambiguous and have been willing to adjust things on-the-fly when it suits storytelling purposes better. I suspect Arcane will be the hard cutoff point of them making any more major changes to the established canon, since this is clearly their attempt to start off pushing the setting into the mainstream.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 14, 2021

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I don't really get this one, the bio on the League site says Jayce is an arrogant prick who tries to do good but the closest thing he had to a friend was Viktor because no one else could keep up with his big brain

That seems to be where he's headed? He spent Act 2 alienating his friends besides Viktor, his picture is plastered all over the city, he thinks he knows best pretty much 100% of the time, and it looks like he's gonna continue on that trajectory. Even his political allies seem uneasy with how fast he went from zero to kicking yoda off the jedi council

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When most companies want to add a fast travel system to their upcoming MMO, usually they don't spend 6 years and hundreds of millions of dollars making a TV series explaining the lore of how "Hexgates" came to be.

Also, this thread with Jayce and Viktor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulteZYyWAA8

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That scene in ep 5 where Vi goes 'Too Risky' and parkours down to Zaun is so spectacularly well done. Animation and CGI so often fail to capture the mass and flow of someone moving fast and they just absolutely nail it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CeeJee posted:

That scene in ep 5 where Vi goes 'Too Risky' and parkours down to Zaun is so spectacularly well done. Animation and CGI so often fail to capture the mass and flow of someone moving fast and they just absolutely nail it.

It's hard enough to nail that feeling down with traditional animation styles, but managing to capture it while also maintaining the look of an oil painting in motion is a phenomenal feat. It's rare to have an animated show that looks fantastic both moving and standing still in the way that Arcane does.

Like, it's just mindblowing that this is a single frame from an animated show, and it all carries this kind of quality. Fortiche really managed to make something special.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The entire sequence where Vi and Jinx are getting attacked is insane. This shot here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Bc5wGSNOA&t=58s

:58 to 1:04

The animation in that specific like 6 seconds is jaw dropping. That's just SIX SECONDS and I still can't stop thinking about how good it looked

And obviously that entire scene looks incredible

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I really liked this shot from Episode 4

edit: also i wish i had better gif making capability >:O

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

bou posted:

Before i go into detail why i like this show, i want to praise my favourite scene

When Jinx lights the blue fllare to call for Vi - and she really actually appeared! Any other show would have Vi tragically no-show and Jinx driven further into madness. How it actually played out was just so pleasant :3:

There's a lot of really tiresome tropey stuff this show explicitly avoids, and I'm extremely thankful for it. That's a great example, and also just the fact that they still love eachother was really nice and unexpected for me. I thought they were gonna do what so many shows would and have them still hate eachother because of a Big Misunderstanding and Learn To Remember They're Still Sisters blah blah blah, but having them still care about eachother and drawing the conflict from jinx being scared and confused and unsure who to trust (which, jeez, fair as hell) is infinitely more interesting imo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Working my way through Episode 5 - there is just so much amazing stuff in each episode from a plot perspective, presentation perspective, and character perspective - its such a home run. For episode 5 I loved the fight between Vi and Sevika, the opening slow mo shot of Vi flying Knee right into Sevika's head made me say "Oh fuckkk yaaa" outloud and the ensuing brawl was amazing for an animated fight. There is some great choreography in the fight and Vi's fighting style is brutal. I liked any time she rammed Sev's head into a wall or full body lifted her. Vi is a beefcake. On the opposite end of the fighting spectrum was the scene with Jayce and Mel which was just like gorgeously intercut with Viktor and the arcane energy?

They've put so much thought and effort into every scene they all just speak for themselves. Interesting compositions, deft usage of various methods of storytelling, the art style itself lending weight to scenes. Just amazing all around.

edit: Am I actually going to pick up photoshop so I can make real gifs of this show? Maybe. Theres so much gifable scenes :<

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jerkface posted:

On the opposite end of the fighting spectrum was the scene with Jayce and Mel which was just like gorgeously intercut with Viktor and the arcane energy?

I laughed when the scene first showed up because it is such a sharp contrast, but I like it a lot more on reflection. Like Lord_Magmar said, it's partly meant to show Jayce's betrayal of his dreams of a scientific future in favor of politics (and, by proxy, a betrayal of his partner), but it's also meant to be a metaphor for what Viktor is doing. His research is creating something new, wild, unpredictable, and alive, all things that strongly resonate with sex.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I loved it! It does work as a great metaphor.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what LoL race is this

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cop

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

frajaq posted:

what LoL race is this

Probably either a Troll from Shurima, or one of the Fishfolk, though they're generally only found around Bilgewater.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of the things that make this show so good visually is that it's not just phenomenally animated, it's also got some excellent camerawork.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW76nGLmhzk

Teaser for Act 3 from some random channel

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I haven't really watched the third act trailer just to avoid spoilers for the rest but I was wondering: what exactly is happening with Silco's eye and face? I'm sure we'll get an answer but when we finally see what the hell he's doing with his messed up eye it leaks purple poo poo. People have been speculating Shimmer itself is based somehow in the void and if so maybe he was the very first to test out his drug and he's slowly losing his fight to suppress whatever influence it has? Was it being dunked in the water when he fought Vander? I noticed in the second act it looked like his face was less hosed up but seeing him apply makeup it sure looks like a lot more of his face is being scarred up.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Macaluso posted:

The entire sequence where Vi and Jinx are getting attacked is insane. This shot here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Bc5wGSNOA&t=58s

:58 to 1:04

The Firelight who takes the gem from Caitlin has the same hair as Miss Young from Viktor's lab.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

I haven't really watched the third act trailer just to avoid spoilers for the rest but I was wondering: what exactly is happening with Silco's eye and face? I'm sure we'll get an answer but when we finally see what the hell he's doing with his messed up eye it leaks purple poo poo. People have been speculating Shimmer itself is based somehow in the void and if so maybe he was the very first to test out his drug and he's slowly losing his fight to suppress whatever influence it has? Was it being dunked in the water when he fought Vander? I noticed in the second act it looked like his face was less hosed up but seeing him apply makeup it sure looks like a lot more of his face is being scarred up.

I think this was answered back in Act 1? The water he nearly drowned in was so polluted that it caused a wound around his eye to get really hosed up and never heal right, and the shimmer injects are to keep it in check and let him still function.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

Fwiw, I'm getting serious Cassiopeia vibes from her. Both from her makeup and the way she moves.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i think it's episode 5 or 6 where jinx lets off the fireworks in her lair and the sparks are falling on her would make a really good gif

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
As someone who know very little about LoL, lore or gemplay wise, I really like this show. The story overall is not particularly original, but it is well told, really well acted and the characters very well done. Paired with pretty much the best animation I've ever seen it makes for a really compelling series. I wonder if they will end this storyline after this season and move elsewhere. From what I've read about the setting I get the impression that they are setting up the basis for the current in game status quo in this area, so they might plan to set the next season or show (which I assume they will make considering the success so far) in another area of the world.

As someone who isn't invested in the LoL universe I'd prefer to remain with these characters though.

Also, I wonder if our protagonists will end up somehow realising that it was Vi and Powder that broke into Jayce's apartment and sort of set everything in motion. It would amuse me if they did.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Slashrat posted:

I think this was answered back in Act 1? The water he nearly drowned in was so polluted that it caused a wound around his eye to get really hosed up and never heal right, and the shimmer injects are to keep it in check and let him still function.

For a bit I thought it was him lancing his eye because I don't think I ever saw him loading a canister or something but yeah that makes sense too

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Vermain posted:

It remains to be seen if it'll have much impact on the plot, but I'm convinced that Mel is working for Noxus. Aside from the obvious character traits - highly manipulative, considered a disappointment to the family, ruthlessly ambitious in her own right - they keep dropping little hints here and there. She mentions having "investors" lined up for Hextech; she mentions to Jayce that there's "a lot he doesn't know about her"; and the painting she's doing in her room is Noxus proper, with the Immortal Bastion in the back and warships in the front. It's especially suspicious that the writers chose this set of episodes to bring up Noxus' existence obliquely, too. The fact that she seems genuinely a little taken by Jayce is going to end up being her big character dilemma when it comes time to betray his research, assuming I'm right.

Probably worth noting that they'd have to do a fair amount of legwork in act 3 setting up what noxus actually is if they wanted to do that and have the reveal resonate with people unfamiliar with the source material. So far they've only been mentioned in passing a couple times, and you might get an inkling of what they're about from the one guy saying "what, do you expect us to tell the NOXIANS their shipment is delayed", but as of right now I think it'd fall pretty flat as a reveal. Not impossible, especially with how brutally efficient this show is at worldbuilding, but yeah

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't just start with Demacia and Noxus being all Big Good Shiny Place and Big Scary Evil Place. The Warcraft movie made the pitfall of trying to boil it down to the very basics of Orcs vs Humans, and it managed to both feel too small and way too hard to comprehend at the same time. It's nice to see Arcane avoiding that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The show's ability to convey information about the world/characters quickly without overwhelming is frankly phenomenal.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Knowing nothing about LoL, I'm really shocked by how much I like this thing. The animation is of course the big drawn to many people (I don't think there's anything that comes even close to this level of quality), but all the characters shine in their own way. Mel is such a gorgeous character holy poo poo.

Have they said anything about a Season 2? I don't think something of this level can be done in just a year, but I really want more.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Bee posted:

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't just start with Demacia and Noxus being all Big Good Shiny Place and Big Scary Evil Place. The Warcraft movie made the pitfall of trying to boil it down to the very basics of Orcs vs Humans, and it managed to both feel too small and way too hard to comprehend at the same time. It's nice to see Arcane avoiding that.

Demacia and Noxus haven't been Generic Good and Generic Evil for quite a while, but I get what you mean.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Knowing nothing about LoL, I'm really shocked by how much I like this thing. The animation is of course the big drawn to many people (I don't think there's anything that comes even close to this level of quality), but all the characters shine in their own way. Mel is such a gorgeous character holy poo poo.

Have they said anything about a Season 2? I don't think something of this level can be done in just a year, but I really want more.

I believe they said that if this was successful, expect to see more. And this has definitely been a success. The act 3 teaser also mentions it being the season finale, implying there will be more seasons after this

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can't wait for Demacia. Jarvin and Garen shipping will be amazing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Get to dealing with the Void and Icathia so an entire new generation can start arguing about Jax's lamppost.

RC Cola posted:

Can't wait for Demacia. Jarvin and Garen shipping will be amazing

You know as well as I do that any Demacia story would result in ungodly amounts of Sylas/Garen fan fiction. Honestly though if they have plans to do a series for every region I'm kinda hoping Bandle City gets a full 2D animated kids series to act as a Teemo gateway drug.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mnoba posted:

i think it's episode 5 or 6 where jinx lets off the fireworks in her lair and the sparks are falling on her would make a really good gif

End of episode 4, couldn't find one without a watermark tho.

On the subject of that gif and the show in general, am I wrong in thinking that some of the visual language between Jinx and Silco is uh... :yikes:

The text of it is fine, they're not getting into weird territory, but the visual conveyed here doesn't exactly scream 'I'm going over to hug my dad.'

This one at least has the explanation that she's about to poke him in the eye.

And I mean, yes it is a baptism metaphor. But again, just visually I'm not crazy. Right?

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Any discussion of changes to league lore over the years can't do without bringing up how they removed the concept of the "league of legends" from it

Edit relating to the post above mine: this is animated by a French studio, remember

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That was unquestionably a good move except for the part where Jax's lamppost had to have its story changed.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Caros posted:

End of episode 4, couldn't find one without a watermark tho.

On the subject of that gif and the show in general, am I wrong in thinking that some of the visual language between Jinx and Silco is uh... :yikes:

The text of it is fine, they're not getting into weird territory, but the visual conveyed here doesn't exactly scream 'I'm going over to hug my dad.'

This one at least has the explanation that she's about to poke him in the eye.

And I mean, yes it is a baptism metaphor. But again, just visually I'm not crazy. Right?

Yep that is it, looks great I really remember that part really amazing me. Also, you are right about the visual language and I almost think they are doing it on purpose.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think the League of Legends needed to go if the setting was going to have real lore. Even if the game itself being noncanon is pretty hilarious.

I wonder what it is that makes League of Legends being noncanon to its own setting feel less goofy than, say, Overwatch being noncanon to its own setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Overwatch is still ostensibly set in the real world though, so there's still that weird disconnect. League at least went all the way in establishing a complete and hard divide between the actual game and the lore.

Anyway after watching the episodes this morning I still can't get over that they put the actual Imagine Dragons in the show.