Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Pickin and flickin to keep it clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

mikemelbrooks posted:

what do you recommend using to remove the glue left behind after removing tubeless rim tape? I have tried acetone, meths, white spirit and petrol, and only succeeded in making glue bogeys.

A lot of adhesives are oil soluble, so sticker remover, a bicycle wet lube, or that cyclist's best friend, WD-40, might work. Will require some cleanup afterwards, of course.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mikemelbrooks posted:

what do you recommend using to remove the glue left behind after removing tubeless rim tape? I have tried acetone, meths, white spirit and petrol, and only succeeded in making glue bogeys.

More meth always gets things cleaner.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I used try alcohol and acetone before accepting that I have to use naphtha.

Now I just refuse to touch any wheels that were taped with anything that leaves residue.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hello my name is Elsie and I’d like to say an extra special “gently caress you” to one particular member of a 6 person wide 10+ dog, some loose some on extending leads, group on the clearly marked “CYCLISTS AND HORSES” section of the national cycle way.

Sir it was not helpful when you told me, having stopped for your group and now entangled in dog leads, that you “like this section because it’s wider” and no I don’t give a flying gently caress about the lead I took a pen knife to to get it off my bike. I was not going to “just” remove my chain.

Dickheads.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

These hallmark holiday meet cutes are getting weirder and weirder

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I've seen recommendations for frame bags (I think in this thread) before, but I don't remember brands/makers outside of ortlieb. What are people's favorites?

I'm not sure what to call the kind I'm looking for, maybe a half-frame bag? Attached to the top tube and filling half-ish the triangle so I can still fit one bottle in a cage.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I've seen recommendations for frame bags (I think in this thread) before, but I don't remember brands/makers outside of ortlieb. What are people's favorites?

I'm not sure what to call the kind I'm looking for, maybe a half-frame bag? Attached to the top tube and filling half-ish the triangle so I can still fit one bottle in a cage.

I like my revelate tangle, that's probably the classic recommendation, though I've had it for like half a decade and wouldn't be surprised if you could get something custom made that's just as good for the same price these days

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Bikepacking.com maintains pretty extensive lists for various gear. Their half frame bag list:

https://bikepacking.com/index/half-frame-bags-and-wedges/

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Oveja Negra make great bags. I’ve been all over with their half frame bag. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Oveja Negra make great bags. I’ve been all over with their half frame bag. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

+1 they're good quality

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bud Manstrong posted:

I have one of their top tube bags, and I love it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Those oveja negra wack pack frame bags look fun and have the function I'm looking for. How I've just got to decide if I want to hold out for L to come back in stock or just get a M and have a little extra space in the frame.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

in terms of security, I'm fine going overkill for peace of mind, can anything beat u-lock+cable (like how it's done in OP)+sherlock? my understanding is that the sherlock app will buzz or whatever on your phone if someone tries to move your bike. It would be rare for me to have my bike parked outside for more than an hour.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

actionjackson posted:

in terms of security, I'm fine going overkill for peace of mind, can anything beat u-lock+cable (like how it's done in OP)+sherlock? my understanding is that the sherlock app will buzz or whatever on your phone if someone tries to move your bike. It would be rare for me to have my bike parked outside for more than an hour.
I've never had to deal with it, but you can also consider carrying acetone and cotton swabs on you for counteracting any prospective thief putting super glue into the locking mechanism with the intent of returning at their leisure. Also good for drenching cars parked in the bike lane and setting them on fire!

Various forms of insurance also theoretically cover bike theft, but I've never dealt with them and have no idea how screwy they might be on trying to get an actual payout. Might be the kind of thing where they want actual evidence it was properly locked, video of someone cutting the lock and taking the bike, or even an actual police report.

To avoid leaving a bike unattended, you can also order pickup, which many stores offer these days (to varying degrees of efficacy). Picked up groceries this morning and had to deal with mounds of wet leaves all throughout the bike lane and a car parking in the bike lane to do a food pickup.

Still better than doing it by car, with cars racing to reach red stoplights when the road was open and me catching back up with them at the next light or them hitting congestion.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

actionjackson posted:

pretty much any cable can be cut in no time with wire cutters that can fit in a jacket pocket.

if i have just one u-lock, i'll take the front wheel off and line it up with the back one and lock everything together nice and snug. when i'm leaving it locked up for a long time i'll bring a second u-lock. any lock thinner than 12mm can be snipped with bolt cutters by an average strength person so try to get locks that are equal to or thicker than that and lock at both ends of the U.

the best option is a chain. they bounce around and it's harder for prospective thieves to find purchase with an angle grinder. same principle: get one with links 12mm or thicker. if you can get your hands on a "noose" style chain then you can save on a LOT of weight while still being pretty versatile in terms of where you can lock it up.

i knew a guy who would wrap his chain up with kevlar thread to jam up angle grinders, but that seems like overkill to me and also a potential lawsuit?

good advice:

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've never had to deal with it, but you can also consider carrying acetone and cotton swabs on you for counteracting any prospective thief putting super glue into the locking mechanism with the intent of returning at their leisure. Also good for drenching cars parked in the bike lane and setting them on fire!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

God Hole posted:

i knew a guy who would wrap his chain up with kevlar thread to jam up angle grinders, but that seems like overkill to me and also a potential lawsuit?

good advice:

LMAO no sketchbag bike thief has a lawyer on retainer. Other than boobytraps built to deliberately maim or kill (sorry no pressure activated 12ga shotgun seat posts) don't worry about them crying to their attorney because you hosed up their most likely also stolen angle grinder.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

God Hole posted:

How so?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

LMAO no sketchbag bike thief has a lawyer on retainer. Other than boobytraps built to deliberately maim or kill (sorry no pressure activated 12ga shotgun seat posts) don't worry about them crying to their attorney because you hosed up their most likely also stolen angle grinder.

i was thinking more like it might cause the angle grinder to launch into the person's face or something, which i personally wouldn't want to happen even to the dirtiest of dirtbags but ymmv

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

God Hole posted:

i was thinking more like it might cause the angle grinder to launch into the person's face or something, which i personally wouldn't want to happen even to the dirtiest of dirtbags but ymmv

I'm ok with bicycle thieves being injured by their actions

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

God Hole posted:

pretty much any cable can be cut in no time with wire cutters that can fit in a jacket pocket.

what about the picture in the OP saying that it was a good combo?

also this would definitely be in busy areas, almost always in daylight, and not for too long

kimbo305 posted:

A very secure method:

Can be a smaller U-lock.
You have U-lock coverage for everything but the front wheel, and a cable lock that would still take a minute to saw through to get the front wheel.
The less secure variant to this would be to not have the cable lock. Faster to lock/unlock.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
If you are worried about wheels you can use security skewers that require a hex key (low security), or security keyed skewers (high security), or even the gravity lock ones which require that a bike be flipped upside down or sideways to remove a wheel.

The Gravity ones seem secure, what are the chances someone can flip a bike if you lock it up properly and you don't have to worry about more keys, locks, or weaving a cable around to the wheel

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

actionjackson posted:

also this would definitely be in busy areas, almost always in daylight, and not for too long

the cable in this video is about the same thickness as the one in that photo. he starts cutting at about 1.45 with a cheapo pair of cutters, it's over about 30 seconds later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BU-Wjgs-U

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I hate that stealing bikes is a thing. Like stealing cars is thing too, as well as other forms of theft, but why do I feel it's that much shittier to be a bike thief?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Because bikes are good and cars are bad

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SimonSays posted:

I'm ok with bicycle thieves being injured by their actions

I am also OK with this, but then again I also dream of writing a screenplay for a grindcore style revenge film where a cyclist wronged by drivers / bike thieves takes bloody revenge using a variety of bicycle tools and parts.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I hate that stealing bikes is a thing. Like stealing cars is thing too, as well as other forms of theft, but why do I feel it's that much shittier to be a bike thief?

Because cars are more likely to be insured, and because the police occasionally do something about a spate of car thefts in an area - there’s a nationalised vehicle registration scheme with enforcement.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

wooger posted:

I am also OK with this, but then again I also dream of writing a screenplay for a grindcore style revenge film where a cyclist wronged by drivers / bike thieves takes bloody revenge using a variety of bicycle tools and parts.

Spike Bike using chainwhips and throwing cog stars would be :discourse:.
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mjh/spike.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I will now downgrade my “cable cutting time” to 30s.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The best theft countermeasure is to commute on an ordinary bike and not a £2,000 rich man's monstrosity IMO. Make them nick the bike next to yours instead.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

The best theft countermeasure is to commute on an ordinary bike and not a £2,000 rich man's monstrosity IMO. Make them nick the bike next to yours instead.

People say this but from what I've been seeing in my local stolen bike group it doesn't ring true any more, if it ever really did. Really expensive bikes are harder to fence or sell for scrap, and meth den chop shops don't typically have the tools for stuff like modern bottom brackets when they try to scramble parts around.

All the "rich man monstrosities" I see on the stolen bikes page are from garage and balcony break ins, the locked up commuters that are posted are more often than not basic hybrids, old ten speed road bikes, and hardtail mountain bikes. Using a junker isn't the theft deterrent it used to be, unfortunately.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Strategic Tea posted:

Or we could reduce bike theft across the board so that no one has to suffer a poo poo bird making off with their bike :shrug:

$1k-3k ebikes are seeing a surge in popularity and could meaningfully replace auto-ownership entirely for a broad swathe of the urban-dwelling public. Next to piss-poor bike infrastructure, the specter of theft is one of the biggest deterrents to uptake. Driving down theft makes it a lot less risky for someone in poverty to take the brand new, eco-friendly ebike over the same-priced, 20-year-old, 200k-mile clunker of an auto they'd likely otherwise go with (and find themselves burdened with gas, maintenance, and other expenses).

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
It's because those with power care about their cars, and only those without care the same amount about their bicycle.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Coxswain Balls posted:

People say this but from what I've been seeing in my local stolen bike group it doesn't ring true any more, if it ever really did. Really expensive bikes are harder to fence or sell for scrap, and meth den chop shops don't typically have the tools for stuff like modern bottom brackets when they try to scramble parts around.

This varies a lot from city-to-city, but I still feel safe locking up my beater pretty much anywhere in provincial England. It's an old touring bike, and basically invisible to thieves around here, especially as their preferred prey (a shiny Halfords mountain bike with a £5 cable lock) is abundant.

I occasionally hear of an angle grinder attack on a D-lock, but it's still rare here. I know it happens more in bigger cities.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know anyone in Paris who hasn't had a bike stolen. I've been lucky so far, but I only ride my bike to and from work and don't leave it out in the city for any amount of time. Even then our building, which now has a keypad, was broken into and I know the basements got raided something fierce. We didn't have bikes then, nor was our basement broken into but still.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the club, but for bikes

i'm old enough to remember the club :corsair:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Friend of mine had his quad bike stolen last night, he claims it had chains and a wheel clamp but two days ago I tried to explain how “I went with the brand the insurance company recommended” was meaningless bullshit and he didn’t believe me. He once tried to lend me some “locks” and they were £3.99 combination locks so good knows what was on that quad.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Friend of mine had his quad bike stolen last night, he claims it had chains and a wheel clamp but two days ago I tried to explain how “I went with the brand the insurance company recommended” was meaningless bullshit and he didn’t believe me. He once tried to lend me some “locks” and they were £3.99 combination locks so good knows what was on that quad.

It's infuriating how many trikes, quads, handcycles, etc. for disabled people are being posted on the stolen bike pages here in the past year or two. Often its because they just can't be brought inside or easily secured, and they have fairly high scrap value.

Like, imagine if you saw in the news that it's becoming increasingly common that paraplegics are just having their wheelchairs stolen. People would be rightfully outraged, it because it's classified as a bike it's just business as usual.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In this county anything nice ends up in Eastern Europe in 2 days, they also have people in vans targeting people on the £10,000 bikes, they pull alongside and push them off as they ride solo, take bike.

It’s a car but one time David Beckham found out his car was being driven by a Macedonian minister and still with the same number plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
And I thought Winnipeg was bad.

And I mean it is, but at least here outright bikejacking is rare.