Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
"The characters not really being related" in regards to Star Wars sure is an observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This probably isn’t irrational but there’s not a rationally irritating thread so here we go

In movies and shows whenever someone needs to use their blood for a spell or whatever they always cut the palm of their hand.

Why?? That seems to be the absolute worst place to do it.

I’m watching Locke & Key and when they’re making new keys they need to use blood and they always cut their hands

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only time I've seen that mentioned was in a comic of all places, where they mention the palm is used because a:it hurts worse and the extra pain helps the sacrifice, and b:takes longer to heal, which also helps the sacrifice. Basically it's always the palm because it's more sensitive than the back of your arm and way harder to bandage and heal.

Apparently in dark magic that gives it a boost for the whole pain/summoning/etc and in light magic it just adds in a level of "I'm making this hurt more for me because I'm giving more of myself to this spell".

I'd loving LOVE it if they said that anywhere in a horror movie cause goddamn that irritates the gently caress outta me too.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If I were Luke Skywalker I would be super pissed when I found out about how things played out when I was a baby

Like Obi Wan could have hidden both of them anywhere, but Leia got to be royalty on a nice planet while Luke got stuck living in a literal hole in the desert on the shittiest planet imaginable

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jango was a Gammorian?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness leia's nice planet did get blown the gently caress up and she got captured by the empire, and it's only because she hosed up that luke's hole in the desert got blown up, so the hole in the desert was kind of the better place.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to say a brainwashed army of hulks is actually a better way to control populations, as evidenced by the fact that he spent all his money on stupid wunderwaffe boondoggles afterwards and then lost.

Hearts and minds, my dude. You get all the guys who are young, dumb and full of gum to want to join your army rather than a resistance army. Even Luke wanted to join.

Plus it turns casualties into a PR op. Nobody cares if some anonymous clones or drones die in combat. But cousin Bessy's boy was killed by rebels? Those loving terrorists!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

If I were Luke Skywalker I would be super pissed when I found out about how things played out when I was a baby

Like Obi Wan could have hidden both of them anywhere, but Leia got to be royalty on a nice planet while Luke got stuck living in a literal hole in the desert on the shittiest planet imaginable

If you're going to take it as canon that Vader was always meant to be Anakin and Luke and Leia were always meant to be siblings, then Luke was "hidden" not just in a hole in the desert but in his grandfather's house using his father's name. Vader knew Padme was pregnant but not that she had twins, and from there it's not a leap to assume that he was meant to find Luke. Luke should be pissed about being used as bait.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The thinking with Luke is that Tatooine is the one place Darth Vader wouldn’t willingly go to or even think about (I think the comics eventually backtrack on this a bit and he does go there though)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

christmas boots posted:

The thinking with Luke is that Tatooine is the one place Darth Vader wouldn’t willingly go to or even think about (I think the comics eventually backtrack on this a bit and he does go there though)

He didn't have to anyway. I'm fairly sure that Vader's plan was to take Luke under his wing when Luke went to the Imperial Academy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

christmas boots posted:

(I think the comics eventually backtrack on this a bit and he does go there though)
It was a good bit, too, but I don't remember which run of the Darth Vader comics it's in.

Jedit posted:

He didn't have to anyway. I'm fairly sure that Vader's plan was to take Luke under his wing when Luke went to the Imperial Academy.
Vader planned to take the son he didn't know he had under his wing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FFT posted:

Vader planned to take the son he didn't know he had under his wing?

He did know if he was keeping an eye out for Padme's child, that's the point. That said, I do like the alternate theory that Vader didn't know Luke was his son because Skywalker is the Tatooine equivalent of Smith.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Pretty sure that -- Canon or Legends -- Anakin's mother is the first/original Skywalker. Probably got the name the same way Han Solo got the name "Solo" in Solo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's actually a bastardization of "sunwalker," the name given to the descendants of members of smash mouth.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
You mean "Eggeater".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Plus, even if he's on Tatooine, it's a big fuckin place and iirc Owen and Beru lived pretty far out from an entirely different city to Mos Eisley. If anything Leia might have been the riskier one being adopted by an extremely high profile family (and she ended up in Vader's sights for semi-related reasons) rather than being out in the planetary equivalent of bumfuck nowhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Plus, even if he's on Tatooine, it's a big fuckin place and iirc Owen and Beru lived pretty far out from an entirely different city to Mos Eisley.

As I already said: Luke lived in his grandfather's house with Anakin's stepbrother. Vader didn't just know where Owen lived, he'd been there and had dinner with him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FFT posted:

Canon or Legends

I learned about this from The F Plus - 318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Luke is hidden by the thing Vader hates most of all: Sand.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

It turns out that Tatooine is sentient and is Luke's great-aunt on his mother's side.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tunicate posted:

Can you imagine how awful it would be to get sand in that suit? He can't take it off!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MyronMulch posted:

It turns out that Tatooine is sentient and is Luke's great-aunt on his mother's side.

Luke and Star-Lord, surprising distant relations. Well, almost not that surprising.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Was Leia understood to be adopted by the Organa family or did Breha Organa hide for almost a year & just pop out with the kid in her arms?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Was Leia understood to be adopted by the Organa family or did Breha Organa hide for almost a year & just pop out with the kid in her arms?

quote:

Through adoption, Leia Amidala Skywalker became Leia Organa, formally becoming heiress of the Royal Family of Alderaan through the Name Day ceremony.[22] Although it was common knowledge that she was adopted,[23] and everyone assumed that she was just another of the many, many children left orphaned by the Clone Wars,[24] she remained unaware of her biological parents' fates.[20]

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

FFT posted:

quote:

Through adoption, Leia Amidala Skywalker became Leia Organa, formally becoming heiress of the Royal Family of Alderaan through the Name Day ceremony.[22] Although it was common knowledge that she was adopted,[23] and everyone assumed that she was just another of the many, many children left orphaned by the Clone Wars,[24] she remained unaware of her biological parents' fates.[20]

I mean... in a way she was a Clone Wars orphan

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nth Doctor posted:

I mean... in a way she was a Clone Wars orphan

From a certain point of view

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

If the plot of six movies takes multiple books to unfuck and make sense, it's bad. I shouldn't have to read a book, let alone several to make your messy poo poo makes sense. A series of movies with the budget of Star Wars should not have such a convulsed mess of a story

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You mainly watch it for the fun performances and the cool effects.

More fun performances in the original trilogy I think, and more cool effects albeit less fancy than the prequels. Good fights in the prequels though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

A Festivus Miracle posted:

If the plot of six movies takes multiple books to unfuck and make sense, it's bad. I shouldn't have to read a book, let alone several to make your messy poo poo makes sense. A series of movies with the budget of Star Wars should not have such a convulsed mess of a story

OK, but hear me out: Does it really take multiple books to unfuck and make sense? The story of the original trilogy is pretty straightforward, and honestly, I don't think the prequels are that much harder to follow. None of the EU stuff is really required to make sense of what's happening.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tunicate posted:

This is Obi-Wan's house on Tatooine

Notice that not only is it surrounded by sand, it's on the high ground

it's literally the last place in the galaxy Anakin would want to go

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

A Festivus Miracle posted:

If the plot of six movies takes multiple books to unfuck and make sense, it's bad. I shouldn't have to read a book, let alone several to make your messy poo poo makes sense.

What movie series is this in reference to?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Tunicate posted:

Love the idea that Vader has known where Luke is the whole time but just chucks a strop about the desert every time the emperor says to go get him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Memento posted:

This is Obi-Wan's house on Tatooine

Notice that not only is it surrounded by sand, it's on the high ground

it's literally the last place in the galaxy Anakin would want to go

Sending life day cards every year saying "Come to Old Man Kenobi's Hut, 2246-43 Salacious Way, Mos Eisley District, Tatooine if you want an rear end kicking"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pilchenstein posted:

Love the idea that Vader has known where Luke is the whole time but just chucks a strop about the desert every time the emperor says to go get him.

Doesn't help that Vader's lovely bionics are something you couldn't want to take anywhere near the desert.

And now I'm picturing Vader slain by a can of coke.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Some wardriver hacks into his legs via wifi and now Vader can't stop hopping around like an Asian vampire.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

christmas boots posted:

OK, but hear me out: Does it really take multiple books to unfuck and make sense? The story of the original trilogy is pretty straightforward, and honestly, I don't think the prequels are that much harder to follow. None of the EU stuff is really required to make sense of what's happening.

None of the sequels are hard to follow. Literal children understand the "story", such as there is. But what is there is very bad.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
emperor palpatine is rei ayanami whats not to get

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Jedit posted:

Vader knew Padme was pregnant but not that she had twins, and from there it's not a leap to assume that he was meant to find Luke. Luke should be pissed about being used as bait.

This is also a bit weird - Anakin/Vader can't sense that there are two fetuses?? No visit to get space-ultrasound with a space-nurse and talk about space pre-natal care where they would go, oh hey, it's twins?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's safe to assume the space monk guy from the backwater planet probably left the health stuff to the former ruler of an entire planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MNIMWA posted:

This is also a bit weird - Anakin/Vader can't sense that there are two fetuses?? No visit to get space-ultrasound with a space-nurse and talk about space pre-natal care where they would go, oh hey, it's twins?

It’s also possible that she did get a space ultrasound at some point and he just happened to be on a mission somewhere given that Space World War II was happening and it’s not like he could request leave to be with his pregnant wife. And maybe he just turned into space Hitler before she could tell him