Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My dad spontaneously asked if I wanted his stamp collection (“just a few books you could put on your console for people to look at!”) and I’m kind sure that sounds rad

Turns out “a few books” is every Canadian stamp book from the late 70s to the early 90s so I guess I now have a stamp collection. He’s not been Canadian at all wtf

Thinking of making a thread and posting all the pics. They haven’t been brought out of a climate controlled safe since they were acquired and are actually really cool. I know nothing about stamps so if anyone has any cool stamp facts I’m down to hear :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I collect stamps and have always wished some relative would spontaneously give me their stamp collection, but none of them were cool enough to collect stamps apparently :colbert:

Anyway that's so amazing and please make a thread and post many many pictures :swoon:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Enfys posted:

I collect stamps and have always wished some relative would spontaneously give me their stamp collection, but none of them were cool enough to collect stamps apparently :colbert:

Anyway that's so amazing and please make a thread and post many many pictures :swoon:

It's cooler if you know what you're doing. I inherited my grandfather's collection many years ago and bought other collections in shops and estate sales and have no clue what's valuable and what's not, I just keep adding to it. Also it adds up to a massive pile of duplicate US stamps from the 40s to the 70s.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Retro audio equipment is my jam. This beauty here is the 1967 Mark 1 Rythm King. Complete with a foot pedal for accompaniment, it provided that funky backing sound in "It's a family affair" by Sly and the family Stone.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I don't collect stamps for what is valuable in terms of money but based on certain subjects that interest me.

I understand why a lot of people think stamp collecting is the lamest of collections, but personally I find it a fascinating combination of art and history. I love researching more about why certain countries put out certain kinds of stamps at certain times, or how they commissioned different artists for sets, etc. There's a lot of very specific culture and zeitgeist reflected in the stamps a country issues, and many different art styles.

For instance, there's a cool old birder who has built a capercaillie stamp collection (a type of grouse), and it's really cool to see how stamps depicting just this particular bird have changed over the decades across various countries. The earliest stamps of this bird from 70+ years ago and for the next several decades were almost entirely hunting themed, so they would show a hunter holding up a dead capercaillie with a hunting dog or the like. Whereas the last couple decades, the stamps depict them in protected local habitat or with chicks because different countries have shifted focus to care more about conservation or about the bird as part of a native ecosystem.

It's not like there are lots of capercaillie stamps issued across the globe, but there are enough to piece together a small story about the history of attitudes toward trophy hunting, conservation, and pride in local habitats across a number of European countries. He's written a few articles on these stamps, and it's really neat to learn so much history from a small collection of stamps that feature a particular bird.

Stamps are cool :drum:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 27, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I don't collect stamps but I got a bunch of soviet stamps for a dollar from an ad in the back of popular science when I was a kid and they were soooo cool

like these motherfuckers were vaporwave in the 60s

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

The worst item in my collection is also the rarest

I HATE this rear end in a top hat's feet. LOOK AT THEM. this is a childrens toy designed by a FREAK
I need to get off my rear end and resell this idiot

Nasty

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Knot My President! posted:

My dad spontaneously asked if I wanted his stamp collection (“just a few books you could put on your console for people to look at!”) and I’m kind sure that sounds rad

Turns out “a few books” is every Canadian stamp book from the late 70s to the early 90s so I guess I now have a stamp collection. He’s not been Canadian at all wtf

Thinking of making a thread and posting all the pics. They haven’t been brought out of a climate controlled safe since they were acquired and are actually really cool. I know nothing about stamps so if anyone has any cool stamp facts I’m down to hear :)

Did you know that in addition to collecting them they can also be used to mail things

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

deoju posted:

My brother collects beer labels, so now I kinda do too.

Pro tip: Peel the labels off cans before you open them. They come of easier.

so, i'm just assuming I'm dumb, but how do you peel labels off cans?

I'm not a beer drinker, so i'll use that to claim my ignorance. do fancy, or small batch cans have paper labels?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

blight rhino posted:

small batch cans have paper labels

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

blight rhino posted:

so, i'm just assuming I'm dumb, but how do you peel labels off cans?

I'm not a beer drinker, so i'll use that to claim my ignorance. do fancy, or small batch cans have paper labels?
In the last several years, craft beer is just a wrapped sticker around a can, which is how they're so colourful. Or in some cases a shrink-wrap.

"Big beer" (miller bud etc) is still printed right on the aluminum.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

falz posted:

In the last several years, craft beer is just a wrapped sticker around a can, which is how they're so colourful. Or in some cases a shrink-wrap.

"Big beer" (miller bud etc) is still printed right on the aluminum.

I encountered this for the first time the very same day that post about collecting them was made and had a very weird synchronistic moment.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I collect:

- Good Beer
- Good Scotch
- Dragons. Lots of Dragons

The rules of my Dragon collection is that the work must be exemplary in the medium, and the work must be bespoke - preferably unique. I work around people who collect Funco pop poo poo and while that's cool if that's your thing, the idea of collecting a thing I can buy at Walmart is not to my taste. I'm constantly trying to build inroads to more artists because there aren't really that many, but I want to support their work.

Some of my favorites:

I'm always, always commissioning work. If you happen to know an artist, a sculptor, a painter, anyone who is an expert at their craft and takes commissions and wants to do something draconic, point them in my direction.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 17, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm always, always commissioning work. If you happen to know an artist, a sculptor, a painter, anyone who is an expert at their craft and takes commissions and wants to do something draconic, point them in my direction.

This is cool, and good!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I collect:

- Good Beer

Was hoping for photos of this tbh. I've been getting in to better beers over the last few years (ie stuff hard to find in stores or only from breweries) but really don't want to super far down this rabbit hole where there's trade values of $100s for a 12oz bottle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I am an artist how do you feel about dragons that resemble birds

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Also how do you feel about big dicks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've built up a bit of a Warhammer collection

the most recent additions are garbage

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

I am an artist how do you feel about dragons that resemble birds

bird with big dick posted:

Also how do you feel about big dicks

There is definitely a niche here.

falz posted:

Was hoping for photos of this tbh. I've been getting in to better beers over the last few years (ie stuff hard to find in stores or only from breweries) but really don't want to super far down this rabbit hole where there's trade values of $100s for a 12oz bottle.

I can take a photo of some of the stuff I have that's not in dark storage. Most of the stuff is honestly relatively 'boring' since 90% of my collection is just from The Bruery and Bottle Logic. It's a nice middle ground where the beer is generally very good, but doesn't cost truly absurd amounts to acquire retail.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The photo is poo poo, but this is what I currently have in boxes in my kitchen:

As mentioned, lots of representatives from Bottle Logic and The Bruery, but a couple reps from Fremont. My favorites on the lineup are Rusty Nail and Black Tuesday Reserve. If you like wine and beer and want to try something truly strange, the Poritified Black Tuesday is unlike anything else.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BigFactory posted:

I have a collection of early 20th century photographs of catastrophic boiler explosions. I have four hanging up but have more in a box.

This is loving sick. Incredible collection.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I collected old media for a while.

I have probably about 150 laserdiscs still, and a few hundred vinyl albums/singles.

I think I just like experiencing the things, or some for their cover art, but just ended up hanging on to them until I have all this weight that takes up space now.

There used to be a record store in town that'd been here for ages. Saturdays you could go and get 20% off, and they'd not only let you in the back room where there was a ton of used vinyl, but you could go to the backroom of the backroom and dig through boxes of albums they'd been sold or picked up. I'd walk out with a stack of white label mystery singles and go home to listen.

I was able to pawn the VHS tapes off at work as we'd watch them on lunch, but the rest of this is just a pain to get rid of at this point.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The photo is poo poo, but this is what I currently have in boxes in my kitchen:

As mentioned, lots of representatives from Bottle Logic and The Bruery, but a couple reps from Fremont. My favorites on the lineup are Rusty Nail and Black Tuesday Reserve. If you like wine and beer and want to try something truly strange, the Poritified Black Tuesday is unlike anything else.

Nice. The two on the right look good, haven't seem them before. Apparently I too collect beer? Didn't even realize.

My french door fridge has this weird shallow drawer in it so i just put beer in it. Then stuff in the small bar - bombers, p much all bourbon bbl imperial stouts, mostly local-ish to me.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Some of my favorites:

these are SO cool and I DO have sculptor recommendations for you!

https://verdantsculpts.com/ I've known of this artist for two whole decades -- here's his deviantart to give you a taste of what he can do!

Evgeny Hontor, adorable little dragons and critters, and also xenomorphs. deviantart gallery

Olllga81, another russian sculptor but this one goes for fuzzy! Etsy

Not immediately sure how you'd commission this person, but thebluekraken has really neat circuitboard art!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I collect:

- Good Beer
- Good Scotch
- Dragons. Lots of Dragons

The rules of my Dragon collection is that the work must be exemplary in the medium, and the work must be bespoke - preferably unique. I work around people who collect Funco pop poo poo and while that's cool if that's your thing, the idea of collecting a thing I can buy at Walmart is not to my taste. I'm constantly trying to build inroads to more artists because there aren't really that many, but I want to support their work.

Some of my favorites:

You should talk to this guy: https://www.chriswilliamssculpture.com/dragons

This one is only $45k: https://www.chriswilliamssculpture.com/bronzedragon

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 19, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't particularly care for dragons usually, but I really like this one. Is that eye actually a light?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So I need this in my life, obviously.

Shame Boy posted:

I don't particularly care for dragons usually, but I really like this one. Is that eye actually a light?

It is! It's also behind a lens that you can focus, so you can change the size of the 'iris' as it were. It's very cool.

Ayin posted:

Recommendations

These are great recommendations. I'll definitely be reaching out to at least some of them

fat frog
Nov 22, 2021

fat fuck frog
I collect physical music formats. Vinyl records are my main collection, but I'll buy cassettes and CDs if I can buy them in bulk for cheap. Or I'll buy them individually if they're funny, like Looney Tunes answering machine cassettes (I have the Daffy Duck and Pork Pig ones.) I'll also buy old MAD Magazines if I see them in the wild, but buying them online gets expensive quickly.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Is this...the kind of thing this forum is for? I mean, I'm having fun with this stuff, but as far as "collecting" goes the only thing here I am really collecting is silver for a pirate hoard. Should there be a; "What trash did you haul home today?" thread?
Honestly I would follow a thread of that. Random Things I Found At A Yard Sale/etc is a fascinating topic.
This year I've begun cultivating my inner grandma: I got two lamps with floral designs and a glass paperweight with floral stuff inside :buddy:

fake edit: while this was sitting around waiting to be finished, the thread was rolled into DIY :downs: Not sure that a yard-saling thread would *still* be relevant here, but I stand by my interest! Although maybe it should wait until next year?

real edit: oh wait, here's something along those lines =o

Ayin fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 26, 2021

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Remember when I said I collected different versions of Blade Runner? Well, here you go:

Old VHS copy (minus the cover), VHS, 10th Anniversary VHS, Betamax, 8MM

RCA CED (not my actual copy - it's in a closet somewhere)

Japanese VHD - like the CED, but slightly better

Criterion laserdisc - bought this new in 1991 for $90 (almost $200 in today's money)

Assorted laserdiscs

Deluxe 5-disc DVD set. Has a Spinner model, origami unicorn, 3D lenticular card, and Syd Mead cards

Deluxe Director's Cut. Features lobby cards, poster, and a frame from the movie

This is the Director's Cut DVD from the above set, but I have an opened copy, too.

Five-disc Blu-ray set with Spinner model

Five-disc HDDVD (now defunct format), Five-disc Blu-ray, Final cut 4K

Still have a few more to get.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 27, 2021

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I’m figuratively drooling over that Blade Runner collection, nice job.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Remember when I said I collected different versions of Blade Runner? Well, here you go:

Old VHS copy (minus the cover), VHS, 10th Anniversary VHS, Betamax, 8MM

RCA CED (not my actual copy - it's in a closet somewhere)

Japanese VHD - like the CED, but slightly better

Criterion laserdisc - bought this new in 1991 for $90 (almost $200 in today's money)

Assorted laserdiscs

Deluxe 5-disc DVD set. Has a Spinner model, origami unicorn, 3D lenticular card, and Syd Mead cards

Deluxe Director's Cut. Features lobby cards, poster, and a frame from the movie

This is the Director's Cut DVD from the above set, but I have an opened copy, too.

Five-disc Blu-ray set with Spinner model

Five-disc HDDVD (now defenct format), Five-disc Blu-ray, Final cut 4K

Still have a few more to get.

This is really cool.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That Blade Runner collection owns.

:awesomelon:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Knot My President! posted:

I kind of discovered stamp books, and I bought one for the year I was born, and another for my brother. I hope he likes dolphins.

My Dad was talking about his stamp collection from when he was a kid and I wanted to get him the 2021 stamp book, but it still hasn't appeared on the USPS site: https://store.usps.com/store/results/catalogs-guides-yearbooks/collector-s-zone/_/N-15ym9qzZ1j49vgd Did I miss it already? I was going to get the 2020 book if it didn't appear by black friday, but that one sold out too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
This is as good a thread as any to ask in, does any one have any collecting goals for the new year?

I'm just gonna double down on the idea of fewer, but higher quality pieces that I really want for the junk I collect. I'm sure each individual item will be more expensive, but I'm sick of just buying "stop gaps" and "good enough" and "well it's here and I collect it guess I'll get it" type stuff. Coupled with this I'm hoping to be able to get rid of some of the collections I'm no longer interested in.

To that end anybody collect playing card jokers? I got a wad of extras from lots I never really wanted in the first place and it seems a shame to just junk them since I'm no longer selling on ebay. I got into them briefly when the regular TCGs got too hyped and unavailable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You could cover boxes with them and make decent £ off of etsy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

learnincurve posted:

You could cover boxes with them and make decent £ off of etsy.

That'd be a small box, I've only got 18 cards or so? I didn't get very far into it before getting bored. I also got slightly frustrated at trying to pick out vintage cards versus modern cheaply/shittily printed ones that were ripping off the same designs from at least 60 or more years ago.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Turbinosamente posted:

This is as good a thread as any to ask in, does any one have any collecting goals for the new year?

I'm just gonna double down on the idea of fewer, but higher quality pieces that I really want for the junk I collect. I'm sure each individual item will be more expensive, but I'm sick of just buying "stop gaps" and "good enough" and "well it's here and I collect it guess I'll get it" type stuff. Coupled with this I'm hoping to be able to get rid of some of the collections I'm no longer interested in.

This is about the same for me, I've got 6 computers in my collection in need of various repairs ranging from simple recapping to rebuilding the OEM watercooler to a complete mainboard replacement, so I'm going to avoid grabbing any more unless it's a specific bucket list machine, of which I think there's only two left on my list.

I'm also going to sell off a bunch of my old polaroid cameras, especially since it seems like nobody is ever going to make more packfilm in more than a stupidly expensive single-shot cartridge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a coin collecting thread? My stepdad was absolutely obsessed with coins, and he left...a LOT of coins behind when he died. his kids took the majority of them(literally scooped the visible gold and silver graded coins up into a bin and hauled it off), but we've found some amongst his things as well, and it'd be interesting to get some more info on some. Lots of largely obsolete foreign coins, a few US coins I saw that are from the 1800s, very old paper bills from a bunch of countries(almost none in great condition, probably nothing worth much but are still very neat), handfuls of graded silver coins and proof sets that fell off from his coin shelf, that sort of thing. he was an immense hoarder and while sifting through the literal 2-3 foot deep layer of stuff on his bedroom floor, there were quite a few coins amongst the literal garbage, as well as about 40lbs of regular loose change, wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, half dollars, etc. if something fell in the pile, it simply sank into it, like a prehistoric creature into a tar pit.

edit: some of the stuff we found:

it's bewildering going through a true hardcore hoarder's stuff. there were silver dollars in a bag along with trash like empty deodorant bottles and melted 20-year-old candy in it. tons of clothes he wore once and tossed into a pile that is luckily salvageable enough to be donated. an antique pocketwatch mixed in a bag with a bunch of used medical supplies.

It's so sad. he never showed this side of himself to anyone outside his biological kids and my mom, he never let me inside his house, and now I know why. even mom is shocked at the extent of things, she saw the surface of the piles but never knew what was in them since he would lose his mind whenever she did ANYTHING to ANYTHING in his house, it's why they didn't live together and he usually visited our house instead of his. an incredible, intelligent, kind, compassionate man, traumatized throughout his life which led him down this path. it just makes me regret not getting to know him better and maybe being able to help him with this stuff.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Those are neat. I've always wanted some nice pink Canadian money, but never actually managed to have any cash left by the time I left that fine country. They stole from me with their kindness, those sonsofbitches.