Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rexxed posted:

Nice cult you got there.

I don’t think that was bittittys. I didn’t see a chart or graph anywhere! Maybe he got hacked and they stole his SomethingAwful password!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
An NFT murder mystery where you have to buy a unique ending where the culprit and murder weapon are all unique.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

they produce a bunch more NFTs where the plaintext says "this is a fraction of this other NFT", and they rig it to a smart contract which gives holders of the fractional NFTs the ability to vote on what happens to the larger NFT. also, sometimes fraction-holders have to pay monthly fees to the original NFT holder

honestly, it sounds incredibly impractical for real-world usage. but the intended use case is "we want to pull more suckers into the NFT market, but the price of NFTs is too high for them to afford even one, and we don't want to lower the price". so it doesn't really need to be practical

Sounds like we're just a few steps away from making non-fungible tokens... fungible?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Sounds like we're just a few steps away from making non-fungible tokens... fungible?

"cryptocurrency is inflation proof!"

<makes thousands of new tokens per day>

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

drk posted:

"cryptocurrency is inflation proof!"

<makes thousands of new tokens per day>

Inflation is when the price of goods and services increase due to currency supply increasing. You can't buy goods and services with cryptocurrency therefore you can't have inflation.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

Inflation is when the price of goods and services increase due to currency supply increasing. You can't buy goods and services with cryptocurrency therefore you can't have inflation.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
what is an ape jpeg if not a good or service

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

it doesn't even have to be due to currency supply increasing; inflation is just a decline in purchasing power. a general rise in price levels for any reason (i.e. shortages, supply chain disruptions, paying higher wages, etc) could cause "inflation"

it also is not something that is always bad. if you have a lot of debt, inflation is good for you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Novo posted:

it doesn't even have to be due to currency supply increasing; inflation is just a decline in purchasing power. a general rise in price levels for any reason (i.e. shortages, supply chain disruptions, paying higher wages, etc) could cause "inflation"

it also is not something that is always bad. if you have a lot of debt, inflation is good for you

Wow thanks professor!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

drk posted:

what is an ape jpeg if not a good or service

A bad disservice?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rexxed posted:

A bad disservice?

its a monkey picture

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"LOL, luzers. Number go up!"

"So what about these vast technical problems that insure crypto will never do anything useful."

"Number go up!"

"None of the economics work."

"Number go up!!"

"The only way that people are using crypto is by removing all the things you say make crypto good and reinventing the existing financial system only worse."

"Number go up!!!"

"And then there's the environmental problems..."

"NUMBER. GO. UP!!!!"

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

its a monkey picture

its Just a Simian Object Notation

drk
Jan 16, 2005
wait, wrong thread

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Prurient Squid posted:

An NFT murder mystery where you have to buy a unique ending where the culprit and murder weapon are all unique.

[Ugly.jpg] did it with [a torch] in [the rain forest]!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So given all the billion Bitcoin knockoffs I don't think I've seen anyone address the fact that you could make your own nft Blockchain, potentially hundreds, and sell the same URL on all of them?

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
They solved that problem by centralising everything into one website. That thing they notoriously love doing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DerekSmartymans posted:

The dumbest NFT project I've seen was procedurally generated dungeons and dragons style items. There were no pictures, it was just text. So you were buying a sentence in the Blockchain that said like "enchanted broadsword +2". They sold like crazy for stupid money.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

Wow thanks professor!

a lot of goldbugs and crypto types love to complain about "money printing" and think that fiat currency inevitably leads to hyperinflation

your post seemed to inadvertently be agreeing with them, i know that was probably not your intent

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
https://twitter.com/BoneJail/status/1460062700940271622

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

D-Pad posted:

The dumbest NFT project I've seen was procedurally generated dungeons and dragons style items. There were no pictures, it was just text. So you were buying a sentence in the Blockchain that said like "enchanted broadsword +2". They sold like crazy for stupid money.

Assume that it’s money laundering or price fixing until shown to be otherwise.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Is "decentralisation" just a way of saying that they've reinvented the concept of free will?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Prurient Squid posted:

Is "decentralisation" just a way of saying that they've reinvented the concept of free will?
It means whatever is necessary in order to make the number go up. That's the secret: All other crap has been abandoned, except maybe as old aesthetic flourishes on top of making the number go up.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

It's just a libertarian loaded word they use to ward off evil statists.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
CHILD: [looking at piece of notepaper] I think it was Colonel Mustard, in the drawing room, with the lead pipe.

[an NFT BRO bursts through the door]

NFT BRO: You can't... (wheeze)... do that! I have that as an NFT! (panting) ...right-clicker!! Hope you have a good lawyer!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DerekSmartymans posted:

These are all parameters publicly visible on the murderchain, you don't even need to read the whole thing!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/766441081214599219/909842193789886484/bideo.mp4

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I don't understand. I paid US $280,000 for the NFT for this 2008-era image of a monkey. How could it be valueless!?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
bateman shows off his NFT at the office and is crushed when someone else has an NFT with a pipe. that night he kills the coworker and right-clicks his NFT

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://opensea.io/collection/hotdogsnft

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

So all I have to do is learn how to use MS Paint, "mint" 300 images, and collect money hand over fist?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Let's see Paul Allen's NFT.

Look at that subtle off-white colouring. A tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has water floats.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Protocol7 posted:

So all I have to do is learn how to use MS Paint, "mint" 300 images, and collect money hand over fist?

Technically, yes. But in practice to make money you need to first have enough money to mint your NFTs, and then also pay some unprincipled influencers to hype it up for you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gazpacho posted:

bateman shows off his NFT at the office and is crushed when someone else has an NFT with a pipe. that night he kills the coworker and right-clicks his NFT

I read that as batman

Say what you want about Nolan's batmovies and how they've aged, that's inspired casting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Paladinus posted:

Let's see Paul Allen's NFT.

Look at that subtle off-white colouring. A tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has water floats.

Why are these so ugly?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rinkles posted:

Why are these so ugly?

Why bother with quality when you’re just doing a money laundering scam?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rinkles posted:

Why are these so ugly?

they're not ugly. please stop cyberbullying. I'm crying

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Technically, yes. But in practice to make money you need to first have enough money to mint your NFTs, and then also pay some unprincipled influencers to hype it up for you.

yeah it's such an easy grift on paper that the difficult part is getting noticed amongst the 10,000 other people trying to do the same thing

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rinkles posted:

Why are these so ugly?

Because they come from paying someone on fiverr $350 to make 10k images which doesn't exactly result in fine art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.startengine.com/chow

quote:

Chow420 is a blockchain-powered cannabis ecosystem (smart marketplace + network of automated dispensaries) built to simplify and facilitate trade amongst all stakeholders in the Hemp and CBD industry (Federally Legal Cannabis Products) with an emphasis on trust, compliance, and convenience. Chow420 maintains the relevant infrastructure required for the buying and selling of cannabis products with an assurance of legality and accuracy in a transparent framework.

quote:

we’ve been able to achieve zero contact automated dispensaries and have agreed to a multi-store deal with SIMON malls and PREIT malls across 4 states.

This barely feels like English to me.