Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sounds like the FBI only cares because some they got egg on their face, got pissed that some pmc chickenhawk was trying to play spymaster with them, or some other ego dick measuring BS.

like if O'Keefe finally gets gently caress, good . but lol if that has a even rare chance of happening.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

sounds like the FBI only cares because some they got egg on their face, got pissed that some pmc chickenhawk was trying to play spymaster with them, or some other ego dick measuring BS.

like if O'Keefe finally gets gently caress, good . but lol if that has a even rare chance of happening.

Whichever Republican ghoul on Capitol Hill that's funding him will bail him out.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Erik Prince is recruiting for project veritas? World is a gently caress.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Angry_Ed posted:

Whichever Republican ghoul on Capitol Hill that's funding him will bail him out.

Veritas is an Erik Prince project.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If any one person could be identified as being a member of a nefarious "Deep State," Erik Prince would be it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
That report reads like Prince was using a thin veil of political activism as color to set up an actual spy ring. Which he intended to use to discredit federal law enforcement.

Given his back ground it looks like we just missed him being the first head of the secret police because Trumps coup was incompetent.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

That report reads like Prince was using a thin veil of political activism as color to set up an actual spy ring. Which he intended to use to discredit federal law enforcement.

Given his back ground it looks like we just missed him being the first head of the secret police because Trumps coup was incompetent.

If Trump actually pulled off his coup we wouldn't be worried about it because the country would've shattered like a snow globe dropped off a roof.

That's the timeline where I end up gutshot and bleeding out in some bombed-out ruins on the South Side of Chicago

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh Republicans stole the election in 2000 and everyone just accepted it that's probably what would have happened this time around too.

There would have been a day of libs tweeting like this
https://mobile.twitter.com/rezaaslan/status/1307107507131875330

Then they'd all remember they have brunch reservations on Sunday and turn to the New York Times to soothe them with explainers that go something like "yes it may seem stupid and undemocratic that whoever intercepts the wooden Vote Arks containing the Electoral College certifications gets to appoint the president, but it's the rules and here's why it's important to always follow the rules and why interpreting incomprehensible archaic traditions in stupid ways to overturn 21st century democracy is quaint and fun!"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
And technically the Republicans have succeeded anyway, as the state legislatures have been working hard to ensure that only Republican approved election results are accepted as legitimate.

Not that I think the Republicans will need much help to defeat Biden in 2024.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

Veritas is an Erik Prince project.

I don't think it is. He even failed to train them because they were too lazy/dumb.

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1459580250623516675?s=20

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
The whole point of the Hot Coffee thing was to get the AO rating so that San Andreas would be pulled from every brick-and-mortar store in America and the moral crusaders could then jerk each other off about taking down a game with massive popularity at the time. I'm not sure if they didn't anticipate the extremely obvious reaction from Rockstar, which was to re-release the game without the offending code, or just didn't care.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Not that it's a particularly important distinction, since it's not how it's popularly remembered or even reported on at the time, but the official reason the ESRB gave for the rating change was because of the sex mini game and not the nude textures. The textures weren't in all versions of the game, but the reassessment was given for all of them.

News Reporting on video games in the 90s and 00s was wild. They would just make up whatever they thought would scare their audiences the most and say it's something you can really actually do in whatever the latest controversial release was.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 13, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acute Grill posted:

Not that it's a particularly important distinction, since it's not how it's popularly remembered or even reported on at the time, but the official reason the ESRB gave for the rating change was because of the sex mini game and not the nude textures. The textures weren't in all versions of the game, but the reassessment was given for all of them.

News Reporting on video games in the 90s and 00s was wild. They would just make up whatever they thought would scare their audiences the most and say it's something you can really actually do in whatever the latest controversial release was.

Like with Mass Effect they just claimed the "sex scene" was a lot longer, more explicit, and more interactive than it actually was

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SEX BOX AMIRITE?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Like with Mass Effect they just claimed the "sex scene" was a lot longer, more explicit, and more interactive than it actually was

The most risque shot in that entire sequence is a barely 2 second glimpse of Liara/Ashley/Kaiden/FemShep's rear end in silhouette against a VERY darkly lit room, in a scene that is probably 30 seconds long, at most even? And then BioWare responded to the outrage by putting multiple gratuitous shots of Miranda's fully-clothed rear end directly in front of the camera in Mass Effect 2 for NO real reason, and nobody gave a poo poo until they took them all out for the remaster because they realized "that was weirdly gross of us, maybe the scene where Miranda exposits about the calculated mental and physical abuse her father put her and her sister through maybe didn't need to be conveyed to the player through her gaping rear end crack..."

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

nine-gear crow posted:

The most risque shot in that entire sequence is a barely 2 second glimpse of Liara/Ashley/Kaiden/FemShep's rear end in silhouette against a VERY darkly lit room, in a scene that is probably 30 seconds long, at most even? And then BioWare responded to the outrage by putting multiple gratuitous shots of Miranda's fully-clothed rear end directly in front of the camera in Mass Effect 2 for NO real reason, and nobody gave a poo poo until they took them all out for the remaster because they realized "that was weirdly gross of us, maybe the scene where Miranda exposits about the calculated mental and physical abuse her father put her and her sister through maybe didn't need to be conveyed to the player through her gaping rear end crack..."

Bioware also responded by ditching the same-sex romances... :smith:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vichan posted:

Wait, what? So I cant bully Garrus into loving me anymore?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vichan posted:

Turns out same-sex romances were already in Mass Effect 1, but were dummied out because BioWare was already cowardly on the matter before the game even shipped. Modders found the code and audio files in the game's infrastructure years later and put them back in, same with ME2.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Still sad I couldn't get wrecked by Wrex in that game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So I have a question and I don't know where else to ask, but I guess it's tangential to right wing media since they always push this poo poo. A lot of states in the US are at-will employment, where a business can fire an employee anytime, for any reason (as long as it's not blatantly illegal). It's complete bullshit but the right loves to say how it's "fair" because "well employees are also free to leave their job at any time, for any reason!" But it only just now hit me: how is that true?

Like, say I live in a state where there isn't at-will employment. One day I'm in the middle of my job and I just decide gently caress it, I'm done. So I go to my boss and say "I'm quitting, bye" and leave. What happens? According to the right, I'm not free to do this, but...what does that mean? Can the cops arrest me? Do I get fined in court? What exactly is the punishment for just up and leaving your job in a state without at-will employment?

Because there's only two things I can think of. One is that you forfeit any chance at severance pay, unemployment benefits, and such you might otherwise be entitled to if you were fired. Two is that when you apply to another job, the one you were at would go "Oh yeah he just walked out in the middle of the workday one day, I wouldn't hire him" if the place I'm applying to were to contact them. But both of these things would happen even in an at-will employment state!

So yeah, could just be the right completely bullshitting and there's absolutely zero positives for at-will employment and people just accept their lies at face value, but I'm curious if there actually is some sort of punishment for just walking out of your job in a state where they don't have it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Well the cops will probably shoot you, but they were going to do that anyway so....

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having walked out of a lot of jobs in Texas, yes, at-will employment is bullshit, but no, the cops will not shoot you if you walk out of Wendy's.

Well maybe they will but that's just statistical likelihood, the cops are looking for a reason to shoot you at all times. You're just as likely to be shot putting down a batch of fries while sucking the manager's dick.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 14, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I have a question and I don't know where else to ask, but I guess it's tangential to right wing media since they always push this poo poo. A lot of states in the US are at-will employment, where a business can fire an employee anytime, for any reason (as long as it's not blatantly illegal). It's complete bullshit but the right loves to say how it's "fair" because "well employees are also free to leave their job at any time, for any reason!" But it only just now hit me: how is that true?

Like, say I live in a state where there isn't at-will employment. One day I'm in the middle of my job and I just decide gently caress it, I'm done. So I go to my boss and say "I'm quitting, bye" and leave. What happens? According to the right, I'm not free to do this, but...what does that mean? Can the cops arrest me? Do I get fined in court? What exactly is the punishment for just up and leaving your job in a state without at-will employment?

Because there's only two things I can think of. One is that you forfeit any chance at severance pay, unemployment benefits, and such you might otherwise be entitled to if you were fired. Two is that when you apply to another job, the one you were at would go "Oh yeah he just walked out in the middle of the workday one day, I wouldn't hire him" if the place I'm applying to were to contact them. But both of these things would happen even in an at-will employment state!

So yeah, could just be the right completely bullshitting and there's absolutely zero positives for at-will employment and people just accept their lies at face value, but I'm curious if there actually is some sort of punishment for just walking out of your job in a state where they don't have it.

i mean, in a command economy i could see some measures to place where you're put in a lower priority reemployment queue if you left a job without permission and without some kind of justification. though that just seems like a classic case of folks being spooked by the government ordering them to do something and being fine with the status quo forcing them to do something even worse

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The "You can quit any time" is utter bs because of the stigmas against such behavior by most workers. At Will is entirely a pro-bad-business thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Twelve by Pies posted:

My understanding is that if you don't have at-will employment, then you have to have a contract. The terms of that contract will determine what the rules are for quitting or being fired. If you quit in breach of that contract, the contract will have the consequences of that breach.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Before at-will employment was adopted by statute in all 50 states, common law assumed that absent a specific agreement, employment was for one year

quote:

17. I W. BLACKSTONE, COMMENTARIES *425
If the hiring be general, without any particular time limited, the law construes it to be a hiring for a year; upon a principal of natural equity, that the servants shall serve, and the master maintain him, throughout all the revolutions of the respective seasons, as well as when there is work to be done, as when there is not: but the contract may be made for any larger or smaller term.

Blackstone also provided for a three-month notice requirement for any discharge by the master or quitting by the servant, even when the termination occurs at the end of a term. The notice requirement was dispensed with in all cases, though, "upon reasonable cause, to be allowed by a justice of the peace: but they may part by consent, or make a special bargain." Thus, the rule of hiring for one year was not unduly burdensome on all parties.

Since it was 17th-century England if you up and walked off the job and your employer complained about it, the magistrate would just round you up and either jail you or return you to your master for forced labor where presumably he would whip you or whatever they did to make servants work back then. Today of course, courts wouldn't do that (courts consider forcing people to provide personal services to be involuntary servitude which is unconstitutional), so employment contracts of that nature usually specify monetary damages (you have to pay back your signing bonus if you agree to work for a year and then quit early), or if they don't specify damages your employer can sue you for breach of contract and get awarded whatever financial damages they can prove you did to them by quitting. There is also a famous English case where the judge ruled he couldn't force an opera singer who broke her contract to sing for her original employer, but he did put an injunction on her to ban her from singing for any other employer until the contract was up

But there's no reason the protections have to be reciprocal. Union contracts or statutes governing public service jobs usually require firing to be for just cause, some kind of due process, etc, but union workers or public servants can quit whenever they want. I think people who say stuff like this automatically assume if you got rid of at-will employment it would have to go both ways to "be fair", but that's based on the erroneous assumption that employers and employees have equal bargaining power and that all employment contracts are automatically fair and equitable so a one-sided law would be unfair to the employer. In reality of course bargaining power is ridiculously tilted towards employers so protecting employees from arbitrary dismissal without banning them from quitting their jobs if they want would make the process more fair.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 14, 2021

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
At least with my employer, walking out without filing the proper paperwork and procedure for resignation means that they can technically start the paperwork and procedure for termination instead because you haven't officially quit and aren't showing up.

In practice this doesn't actually make a difference, and your boss might just say you quit anyway because the union policy is to dispute any termination even if the employee doesn't want their job back. Though what usually happens is that they call you a couple times and ask you to say the magic words to resign over the phone.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 14, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/MichaelEHayden/status/1459902679199719440?s=20

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"We called Antifa headquarters and left a message but they never responded."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Hello! You have reached antifa headquarters. Your call is important to George Soros. If you're calling about Bill Gates' vaxx microchip project, press one. If you want to attack and dethrone God, press two. If you want to join our war against Christmas, press three. Otherwise, please stay on the line so that one of our soyboys can get back to you. [The Internationale comes on as hold music]"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 14, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You’d think the more moderate conservatives would start to feel a twinge when ‘white nationalist’ gets rephrased as ‘anti-vaxx protesters’ but eh, there are no more moderates.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Whoops.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Murgos posted:

You’d think the more moderate conservatives would start to feel a twinge when ‘white nationalist’ gets rephrased as ‘anti-vaxx protesters’ but eh, there are no more moderates.
I don't think any of us anticipated just how accurate the metaphor "mask off" would become.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Agents are GO! posted:

Still sad I couldn't get wrecked by Wrex in that game.

The entire scene just has two words:

Wrex.

Shepherd.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Where's his eyebrows? He looks like that dood in Hannibal after Hannibal Lector finished with him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Turtles don't have eyebrows. Just hatred for the existence of humanity apparently.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bird food bathtub posted:

Turtles don't have eyebrows. Just hatred for the existence of humanity apparently.

Yeah, they live in their own personal shell

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Twelve by Pies posted:

The 13th amendment says that (if you aren't a prisoner) you can't be compelled to work. Period. You can suffer all kinds of contractual penalties for refusing to do something you signed a contract for, of course. But I think you're confusing where the "quit when you want" part comes in, legally speaking. It has nothing to do with at-will employment laws. "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude [...] shall exist within the United States." Right there. 13th amendment.

And yes, I know the horrors that ellipses is hiding.

But you have the right read: At-will employment laws offer no benefit whatsoever to workers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It also makes it even easier to practice bigotry in employment. Find out someone's gay? They, uh, didn't exhibit a mindset conducive to working with our organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I wasn't saying that NO video games have political stories or undertones or anything like that.

I was taking exception to the statement that "all video games are inherently political" which I still disagree with but forget who posted it. Like, I don't see anything overtly or inherently political about Mario Bros, Tetris, NBA2k, Sonic, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Doom, Wii Sports, MLB: The Show, Evil Within 2...and a lot of games. Stuff like Bioshock, Fallout, GTA, MGS and Far Cry that are a little more serious, sure, but "politics" still isn't my main take away from the majority of stuff I play and at best I'd say it depends on the game. Not the medium as a whole.

Maybe some of you are right and I'm just not looking for it but for most titles I get into, no. I don't wrap up RE2 and consider the deeper political message there. Seems like you have to squint and it could just be me like I said but is, say, chess a deeply political game because it pits black against white, is an artistic form of war and has pieces that evoke royalty? Maybe it is.

Hey so just off the top of my head with the political thing with regards to the games you listed:

Mario Bros-Woman are objects that need saving as well as a reward to a man for doing something difficult. (This gets lampshaded in Mario Odyssey but for the large majority of Mario games this point remains)

Tetris-the gameplay itself has nothing I can see as a political message, but the choice, especially at the time of its creation/dissemination, to display large aspects of Russian culture was very political at the time. Also Tetris is based on a Russian folk game if I remember correctly, so the gameplay itself can be seen as a representative of a "Russia-is-good" mindset

NBA2K-It is literally corporate propaganda. It is selling you on the product of NBA basketball and reinforcing it as something worth engaging with.

Sonic-pro-environmental propaganda. The factories and robots are shown as explicitly evil while nature is shown as an explicit good.

Gran Turismo-It is literally corporate propaganda. It is selling you on the desirability of luxury cars and acts as an advertisement for them, thereby helping to reinforce their place as status symbols.

Mario Kart-honestly no idea, the politics of Mario Kart specifically are invisible to me other than a simple "racing is fun and you should race" message. Also probably something about meritocracy or something, since only 1 person can be first place and there isn't team play in the primary game system.

Wii Sports-same as Mario Kart, other than a simple "Sports are fun and you should play them"

Doom-violence is fun and solving problems with violence can be justified. also if we are referring to the more recent Doom releases there is also a strong anti-corporate message.

MLB: The show: same as NBA2k, it is corporate propaganda selling you on the the product of entertainment via MLB baseball and reinforcing the cultural cache of that league.

Anyway, not trying to browbeat you personally, you just provided a list and some of them it was very easy to spot a political message.