Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ardlen posted:

There is a short story version of Demandred in Shara, "River of Souls".

Yeah, she wouldn't let him put it in. So it never got polished or made canon. It was a cool story though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Zore posted:

The 3rd age in comparison lasted about 3.5 thousand years and still has a lot of memory of the previous age by the end which was absolutely not the case in the 1st or 2nd.

The 2nd Age absolutely has memory of the 1st Age, and potentially quite a lot of it, because of:

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Do you think they'll keep the same names for the old stories, like the giants mosk and merc, and the man who flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle and suchlike, or do you think they'll do new ones?

What we see in the 3rd Age are the remnants of what the 2nd Age knew after thousands of years and countless retellings, demonstrating one of the key features of the Cycle, memory fading to myth.

The 1st Age may very well remember things of the 7th Age because while it's very easy for us to project our world onto the 1st Age, we do not exist in the world of the Wheel of Time, so we don't know what the 1st Age actually looked like.

Alternatively, maybe what makes the big distinguishing moment of the 7th Age resetting the numbers instead of going into an 8th Age is a more total apocalypse than even the one at the end of the 2nd Age that causes humanity to go back to a hunter gatherer lifestyle in a way that never happens between other Ages (though the Breaking of the World came close). Maybe all our myths about Ragnarok and Noah's Flood are our memories of the 7th Age. Maybe those events were more clearly remembered thousands of years ago and maybe Mark Zuckerberg is about to accidentally discover magic with Meta and the first people who put on his virtual reality headsets will be able to see the One Power and the weaves and the 2nd Age is closer to us at this point than the 1st Age.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zore posted:

You know I wonder if the 3rd age is exceptionally short in the grand scheme of things compared to the other ages. We know the 2nd age lasted long enough to become a sci-magic utopia where people had forgotten what war was and were doing some insane interdimensional and interplanetary travel. The 1st age is uh the modern world which already has a 10 thousand year history and will eventually be ended by Tamyrlin discovering how to channel.

The 3rd age in comparison lasted about 3.5 thousand years and still has a lot of memory of the previous age by the end which was absolutely not the case in the 1st or 2nd.

What makes you think that the First Age has lasted the entire of recorded history? Almost everything earlier than 1000 BCE is a bit sketchy, and pre-4000 BCE is definitely mythological at this point.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Invalid Validation posted:

There isn’t free will since Mins visions always come true. There should have been one or two that didn’t come true to make a point of it.

There are explicitly multiple Min visions that are an "If, then" visions. The most obvious is Siuan and Bryne.

And obviously there's the Dark One winning and destroying the pattern as well.

My understanding is that the Pattern has immutable points that are woven into it and circumstance will cause them to happen but there's a lot of wiggle room within the pattern for free will outside of these events.

In terms of a female Dragon. My understanding here is that LTT's soul just happened to be called the Dragon in the Age of Legends, for all we know in the previous version of the Third Age he might have been called The Serpent or any number of things.

So specifically in this case, the Dragon here is the reincarnation of LTT's soul and assuming LTT's soul is always reincarnated as a man, then the dragon will be male.

And yes, that's not to say that there isn't the possibility of a female champion of the light being woven. I believe that's what Amaresu is meant to allude to. Or necessarily to suggest that the male champion is always LTT. Moridin claims that the champion of light has sometimes fallen to the shadow and a new champion of the light is woven as a result which would corroborate that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What is certain is that Ann Landers will be a watchword for wise teachings ten thousand years hence

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Red carpet premiere coverage starts in about 5 hours on these social channels.

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1460204184888872960

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Okay there is more theater kid singing in Wheel Takes than I thought.

I hope the show leans as hard into the Texan accents for Seanchan as Gus does. I want a bunch of west texas oil barons on my screen.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/primevideouk/status/1460234447685570571

:vince:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They really need 3D glasses for that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They really need 3D glasses for that.

I've seen adverts on that screen in person. You honestly don't.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Well that's pretty awesome.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Remember when everyone was worried because Amazon wasn't promoting the show

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jose Valasquez posted:

Remember when everyone was worried because Amazon wasn't promoting the show

I do kinda wonder how much actual penetration all this advertising is having but they do seem to be pulling every lever they have.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Guess we’ll find out soon. Unless it looks cool as poo poo I doubt it’ll have any staying power. Hope I’m proven wrong.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Guess we’ll find out soon. Unless it looks cool as poo poo I doubt it’ll have any staying power. Hope I’m proven wrong.

:psyduck: if only the story was any good

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

rand needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I feel like Amazon's advertising is bigger than the other streaming services. I remember when they wrapped entire NYC subway trains in ads for The Man in the High Castle. That imagery made some people mad!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I've seen maybe two thirds as many ads as for league arcane. Which ended up being a huge loving hit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I feel like Amazon's advertising is bigger than the other streaming services. I remember when they wrapped entire NYC subway trains in ads for The Man in the High Castle. That imagery made some people mad!

Yeah, they've done that for WoT in some european countries.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hexel posted:

:psyduck: if only the story was any good

Most of it doesn’t translate to visual medium that well and what does just looks mostly like generic fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Most of it doesn’t translate to visual medium that well and what does just looks mostly like generic fantasy.

A lot of it will depend on the acting and directing. The main cast all seem charming at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Most of it doesn’t translate to visual medium that well

That seems entirely up to viewer preference.

I generally don't care about comic book movies but I had a lot of fun watching Dr. Strange

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just watched A Private War so I'm psyched for Pike.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

buffalo all day posted:

i think that he used like four different ones

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

buffalo all day posted:

Rafe said that he apparently received over 11,000 notes from various Amazon executives about the production.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Rafe said that he apparently received over 11,000 notes from various Amazon executives about the production.

Well if the show sucks I know who I'm blaming

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hexel posted:

Well if the show sucks I know who I'm blaming

Elon Musk Mosk

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is there free will in a world with literal prophecy? But in either case resealing the bore just puts the world back to where it was in the age of legends and we assume they had free will.

So the Dark One is actually a good guy, trying to free the souls from being stuck in the same loop forever.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Pyromancer posted:

So the Dark One is actually a good guy, trying to free the souls from being stuck in the same loop forever.

No as we established earlier in the thread, TDO is just some random dude that the forsaken keep interdimensional crank calling. All of his effects on the pattern are the equivalent of him calling the cable/phone/utility company to come out and fix this hole and they come out and mess with it a bit and it gets worse.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The Dark One just wants to have fun, even he knows he can’t really be let out cause the world would get super boring. Which is why he is pretty ineffectual at actually dealing with Rand. He gets it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I also kind of love that Ishy is ultimately just a dumbass accelerationist who decided that 'Dark One winning only has to happen once so its inevitable, better go all in on making that happen ASAP'

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

I also kind of love that Ishy is ultimately just a dumbass accelerationist who decided that 'Dark One winning only has to happen once so its inevitable, better go all in on making that happen ASAP'

I always felt Ishamael's thinking was deeply flawed, since it's the same line of reasoning someone IRL would use to justify their suicide "because life inevitably ends in death"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Motherfucker spends his time staring at a fire in TAR, he's a depressed as poo poo kid that read Nietzsche but can do magic

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Just be glad Ishy didn't have social media.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

Just be glad IshyTDO didn't have social media.
ALL CAPS BOOMER POSTING COMING AT YOU LIVE FROM THE BORE.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How are u posted:

we live again...so we can earn more klout...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

Imagine what facebook would do with tel'aran'rhiod

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Motherfucker spends his time staring at a fire in TAR, he's a depressed as poo poo kid that read Nietzsche but can do magic

His little TAR apartment is literally all rotating fire skulls, dude is the 1990s internet come to life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm very excited to watch WHE of TIME this weekend

e; gently caress like I knew it was this week, but poo poo dudes it's THIS WEEK