Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok that rules. What are the stat breakpoints to shoot for? And my buddy keeps talking about DS2 hex builds, what is a hex build?

Str and Dex both get the most benefits from levels until 40, you get diminishing returns after that. Having 40 in Str and/or Dex will let you use most weapons and get you the most bang for your buck scaling wise. You can go over those softcaps if you want to meet the requirements for a specific weapon though (this applies mostly to the gigantic Str weapons).

Hexes scale from both Int and Faith but the scaling value will be determined by the lowest of those two stats, so you want to level them evenly. Hex builds hit like a truck and are a lot of fun, you also get the versatility of dabbling in sorcery and or miracles if you want. The softcap for dark damage is at 30/30 Int/Faith but you can go higher to meet reqs and get some extra damage as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CYBEReris posted:

IIRC Hexes scale based on the lowest value between int/faith while by comparison Pyro scales off everything you put into int or faith up to a cap of around 60

This is correct. So a hexer always wants to level INT and FTH in succession to keep them as close as possible, which means they will also be fine with any other spell type, whereas for pyromancies you can pick just one or the other and be a sorcerer-pyro or a cleric-pyro while still having lovely hexes.

The cap for hexes is roughly the same though, 30/30 is where the scaling drops off

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 27, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

skasion posted:

The dragon isn’t that hard once you’ve gotten within melee range of him so you might as well go back and kill him at some point, but he only gates an optional boss, nothing that good.

If he's using a rapier, the ring that the boss drops is that good.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DS2 does a terrible thing for pyros which is hiding Great Chaos fireball until NG++.

Or you can get it by winning 500 PvP duels :shepicide:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

DS2 does a terrible thing for pyros which is hiding Great Chaos fireball until NG++.

Or you can get it by winning 500 PvP duels :shepicide:

*by winning 500 more PvP duels than you lose

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh my goodness my clams are *steamed*!

I have been trying to unlock boss weapons all night! I finally get to the boss and Lucatiel died right as he was lunging in and I killed him, so am I boned out of Lucatiel’s quest now?

Besides that, I went up and used the branch I got on what I assumed was the Boss weapon guy but it was just a normal zombie! Poop! I want my Warped Sword and I want it now! Looks like my next branches are several zones away! Boo! Hiss!

I’m still enjoying the game like crazy, I’m loving it in fact, but yeah 2 hours of trying to unlock this warped sword and all I have to show for it is a broom closet full of zombies lmao

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I have been trying to unlock boss weapons all night! I finally get to the boss and Lucatiel died right as he was lunging in and I killed him, so am I boned out of Lucatiel’s quest now?

Besides that, I went up and used the branch I got on what I assumed was the Boss weapon guy but it was just a normal zombie! Poop! I want my Warped Sword and I want it now! Looks like my next branches are several zones away! Boo! Hiss!

I’m still enjoying the game like crazy, I’m loving it in fact, but yeah 2 hours of trying to unlock this warped sword and all I have to show for it is a broom closet full of zombies lmao

Its just as well, you cant handle *his* spells

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
feeble cursed one

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Simply Simon posted:

feeble cursed one

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Bust Rodd posted:

You can redo the fight with a bonfire ascetic to summon lucatiel again, but I think she might be avaliable for more fights than you absolutely need? Iirc she only needs to do 3 fights.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bust Rodd posted:

You only need Lucatiel to survive 3 boss fights to the end. There's 4 in the base game you can summon her for, and one in a DLC though I don't know if the DLC summon counts. And like GodFish said, you can use bonfire ascetics to respawn bosses you can summon her for. Some people will do that so they can just re-fight one of the easier bosses a couple times. Additionally, you can pick up the Redeye Ring from Sweet Shalquoir to help draw the boss onto you more often for those NPC summon fights, too.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I suck at parrying. took me an hour to do the parry + ballista trick for killing the Pursuer.

Any hints on getting the timing of parrys down, aside from get gud (I will never get good!)?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Use the Buckler. Also don't try to exactly match the animation, rather think of the shield generating some sort of "parry zone" behind it that's active for some frames, and when the enemy hits that, it gets parried.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

I suck at parrying. took me an hour to do the parry + ballista trick for killing the Pursuer.

Any hints on getting the timing of parrys down, aside from get gud (I will never get good!)?

It's not completely obvious from the visuals, but parries are not instantaneous. Each parry animation has a windup, a set of active parrying frames, and then a recovery. You need to be in the active parry frames when an enemy's weapon connects with you for the parry to register. You want to start up the parry a little before an enemy's weapon makes contact with you, so usually around the time when their swing is just about to start arcing towards you (assuming you have a good parrying tool like the Buckler).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's really funny when you go from the pursuer being scary to just bullying him with parry chains every time he shows up

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've never had to parry him to do the ballista trick, if you walk into the rubble right in front of you and a little to your left and wait for him to charge, you can just dodge around his swing and use the left ballista (as you're facing the arena when you enter--the right ballista when you're actually on it) and shoot him twice

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I just strafe right

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

axolotl farmer posted:

the parry timings in ds2 are hosed up, it's rarely worth it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have never parried in Souls games, ever, but learned to in my recent playthrough of this and it became quite easy after a little while. Especially pursuer. Buckler ftw

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just remember that keeping some distance with the pursuer triggers his dash and upwards swing that is extremely easy to parry with a buckler so the cycle goes: parry, a few hits with a fast weapon, move away to trigger the dash/charge, parry, repeat. I barely parry on DS2 but Pursuer went from treat to chump once I learned that.

Double pursuers on Draingleic Castle are exactly the same but you just try to kill one at a time.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Maybe avoid spoiling those kind of surprises for new players

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The twin Pursuers fight is NG+ content that someone's not likely to even stumble on because it's in a room that's otherwise neat to look at but serves no mechanical purpose. I think it's okay to mention that it exists.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
One of the best parts about DS2 is that there are so many little extras thrown in for NG+. Really wish they would have kept that up for DS3.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like what?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Like what?

Remixed enemy placement, mimics and red phantoms. Plus some improved rings, extra boss weapons... I may be forgetting something but DS2 is the one that gives more incentives on going on NG cycles.

DS3 shot itself by giving the best rings in The Ringed City so, at least for melee users, there's no point on exploring on NG+ onwards but to get more titanite slabs.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Purely the fact that there's random red phantom enemies (not invader npcs) in DS2 ng+ is what I love most about it. I went to freakin ng+4 before I got bored.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I recently started running through NG+ for the first time with my punchboy and I keep getting surprised by the changes to some of the boss fights

DS2's NG+ is the best

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You guys Elden ring is shaping up to be basically a dark souls 2 sequel in terms of build variety and flexible approach. The previews I'm seeing are really highlighting how many tools you have at your disposal and how much customization there seems to be.

Vaati showed several side quests, mini bosses etc that you could discover or just ignore in the first area alone this looks glorious

Holy loving poo poo DS2 owns so hard and I am so pumped for a potential spiritual sequel

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hell yeah! And ER brought back powerstancing

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've never played DS2 on NG+ to this day because the base game is so fuckin long.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Guillermus posted:

Remixed enemy placement, mimics and red phantoms. Plus some improved rings, extra boss weapons... I may be forgetting something but DS2 is the one that gives more incentives on going on NG cycles.

DS3 shot itself by giving the best rings in The Ringed City so, at least for melee users, there's no point on exploring on NG+ onwards but to get more titanite slabs.

One big thing on DS2's NG+ is that there's an entire Midir-like encounter with Duke's Dear Freja outside her boss arena in NG+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc8Sx-h-nGo

DS2 also unlocks additional merchant items on successive NG+es and some other interesting niche poo poo: http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/new-game-plus

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 11, 2021

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Anyone remember that one Youtube video that was like a VHS 90's gaming tutorial but for the Dark Souls 2 bosses and part of the cinema verite was getting the names slightly wrong?

I tried to find it but searching "dark souls 2 tutorial" into Youtube didn't help much

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guillermus posted:

Woah woah woah tag those spoilers!!!!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Djeser posted:

Anyone remember that one Youtube video that was like a VHS 90's gaming tutorial but for the Dark Souls 2 bosses and part of the cinema verite was getting the names slightly wrong?

I tried to find it but searching "dark souls 2 tutorial" into Youtube didn't help much

Authority, the Royal Rat. Wish I knew the video though

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Djeser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjslOGK3L4I

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

John Murdoch posted:

Woah woah woah tag those spoilers!!!!
Pshhhh I didn't realize the double Pursuers was a NG+ thing since I must've misremembered hitting it in my playthrough so MY BAD OKAY

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Joe Man posted:

Pshhhh I didn't realize the double Pursuers was a NG+ thing since I must've misremembered hitting it in my playthrough so MY BAD OKAY

Unforgivable 1v1 me in the throne room.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is DS2 the only game where strike damage does double the damage of other damage types? It''s been a while since I played and I just bought a mace and holky loving poo poo...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Decrepus posted:

Is DS2 the only game where strike damage does double the damage of other damage types? It''s been a while since I played and I just bought a mace and holky loving poo poo...

DeS has really dramatic physical type resists as area gimmicks. Slash is useless in Stonefang, slash and thrust are both useless in Shrine.

You can sort of notice this effect in the early game of DS1 too. Eventually all weapons kind of out-upgrade this and become equally viable but early catacombs, black knights, the stone knights and golems in Darkroot are all easier with a blunt

By accident or design a lot of early game enemies in DS2 are armored guys, who happen to be weak to strike because they’re armored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
That's a net positive at the end of the day, as it makes the Gyrm Great Hammer a pretty solid weapon. And the anvil-on-a-stick is objectively the best weapon design in the entire From Software lineup.