Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That was 3 days ago, they already corrected the store data to Dec 8.

Halo won't be out before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
People are starting to receive their Halo Infinite bonus cosmetics on Halo Waypoint for reaching max rank in Halo 5.

https://twitter.com/mintblitz/status/1460094034169393152?s=21

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just got Kingdom Come Deliverance since it was on sale. I’ve given up hoping for a FPS boost on it. I previously had it on the PS4 but the input lag was absolutely atrocious. It actually feels much better on Series X to play, definitely less input lag. Also the load times no longer being minutes long helps. Game looks nice, it’s a pity it’s only 30fps though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just got Kingdom Come Deliverance since it was on sale. I’ve given up hoping for a FPS boost on it. I previously had it on the PS4 but the input lag was absolutely atrocious. It actually feels much better on Series X to play, definitely less input lag. Also the load times no longer being minutes long helps. Game looks nice, it’s a pity it’s only 30fps though.

That's good to hear since that one is also on my list, also coming from the PS4.

I noticed the same thing with RDR2, played it on PS4 but now on XSX the 30 fps does not feel bad at all. Plays great and still looks fantastic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

That's good to hear since that one is also on my list, also coming from the PS4.

I noticed the same thing with RDR2, played it on PS4 but now on XSX the 30 fps does not feel bad at all. Plays great and still looks fantastic.

That's interesting, I'd love to try RDR2 again, I found the input lag to be really bad on PS4 to the point where I didn't want to keep playing because it felt so bad.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
GQ has an interview with Phil Spencer.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/xbox-phil-spencer-todd-howard-interview

The most important revelation: we almost had a rotating Xbox logo on the Xbox One X.

quote:

It’s 2017, and the head of Xbox is in a design meeting for the Xbox One X. He’s deliberating on a motorised button. It rotates so the Xbox logo stays the right way up whether the console is sitting vertically or horizontally. The designers love it. The brand bods love it. “They never like our logo sitting sideways,” he tells us, chuckling.

The price of that little button? A single solitary buck.

“You're thinking, like, ‘it's just a dollar, of course you would do that,’” he says.

Someone else pipes up: “there's a world where we sell a hundred million of these.”

Suddenly, that’s a hundred million dollar decision.

In the end, the rotating button – described by Spencer as “just another thing that could fail” – wasn’t worth the potential cost. But 'risk averse' is perhaps the least appropriate label for the guy who started his career helming the development of the Encarta CD-ROM encyclopedia.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bedlam posted:

It's-a me, Switchy Pro!

fixed

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Whoa, Phil led the development of Encarta?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Thanks Phil! I picked up Encarta 97 for like $20 on clearance when 98 was coming out. Biggest bargain in the world at that time to have an encyclopedia for that price, incredibly useful to have as a citation source for essays at uni.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Red Warrior posted:

Thanks Phil! I picked up Encarta 97 for like $20 on clearance when 98 was coming out. Biggest bargain in the world at that time to have an encyclopedia for that price, incredibly useful to have as a citation source for essays at uni.

I remember in '93 or '94, I cited the American Heritage Electronic Dictionary in a paper, and had to wing it for the format of the citation because there wasn't guidance on how to cite electronic sources at that point. My prof wrote something like "Is this what the world has come to?" next to the end note.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Zerot posted:

There was too much corroboration from multiple outlets and journalists around the Switch Pro for it to have been a fabrication. There's a possibility with anything pre-announcement that things changed and/or wires got crossed. Plus there were multiple global catastrophes over the span of several months which could have changed plans.

The Switch Pro rumors nailed the changes to the kickstand, screen, and dock. That wasn't people making stuff up. At worst, it was people not having all the information.

I absolutely believe that the Switch Pro rumors are/were mostly legit, and that it was most likely replaced with the Switch OLED (at least for this year) due to the manufacturing issues and component shortages that have been plaguing basically everyone. but folks can believe what they like

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Encarta ‘94 came bundled with my first Windows machine and my only memory of it is that there was a picture of turtles having sex in one of the articles and it was the funniest thing in the world to me.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Zerot posted:

GQ has an interview with Phil Spencer.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/xbox-phil-spencer-todd-howard-interview

The most important revelation: we almost had a rotating Xbox logo on the Xbox One X.

Fun fact! The PlayStation logo on the PS2’s DVD tray can rotate. It’s not motorized or anything but you can manually twist it so that the logo is correctly oriented whether the system is vertical or horizontal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Fun fact! The PlayStation logo on the PS2’s DVD tray can rotate. It’s not motorized or anything but you can manually twist it so that the logo is correctly oriented whether the system is vertical or horizontal.

and also on the PS2 Slim. I would imagine that's where the Xbox design team thought of the idea. "Let's do that....but motorized!" and R&D comes up with the idea but like that quote says, that's $100 million of part that is pure whimsy and could also fail somehow. Cost engineering takes all the fun out of everything.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

I absolutely believe that the Switch Pro rumors are/were mostly legit, and that it was most likely replaced with the Switch OLED (at least for this year) due to the manufacturing issues and component shortages that have been plaguing basically everyone. but folks can believe what they like

Any handheld by its very nature is going to be weaker than a TV-connected console and the casual market (which is all Nintendo cares about) pretty much gives zero fucks about traced rays and 4K and poo poo like that. In the hands of competent devs the Switch can pull off stuff like The Witcher 3 and Monster Hunter Rise and that's needs-suiting for pretty much everybody, with the most vocal complainers still overwhelmingly buying drat near everything Nintendo puts out anyway.

Barry Convex posted:

I feel like if that were true someone would have jumped the gun, like some random indie dev about 5 seconds into the Switch Pro reveal trailer would have tweeted "enjoy our hot new shovelware in 4K when the OLED Switch launches!" without realizing there was a change of plans.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Where Halo at

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Where Halo at

Im reduced to trying a 10 hour trial for Battlefield 2042.

Filth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

Im reduced to trying a 10 hour trial for Battlefield 2042.

Just turn off the Xbox if this is what it’s come to

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Battlefield 2042's Portal mode is really neat. I'm not feeling the rest of the game though. I like that I can play against bots.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Where Halo at

In my heart

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Boar It posted:

I just bought a Series controller or whatever you call them. Upgrading from an ancient wired 360 controller. I was quite surprised by how good the rumble in the triggers feels, a game changer for forza at least. However I noticed that they make some noise unlike the regular "main" rumble. Is this normal? Every mention of it while googling I find clips where the triggers make horrible scratching noises and whatnot where they definitely sound defective. My controller doesn't sound like that at all but depending on the intensity of the trigger rumble it is definitely auidable. It is reminiscent of the haptic feedback in the steam controller (but not as.. "clicky"?) in case anyone has used one of those. Just a humming electric motor sound of sorts. The noise isn't distracting while playing Forza but I tried Back 4 Blood also and it was super loud because whenever you take damage in that game it maxes out the trigger rumble for some reason. That was when I first noticed it even makes a sound. Just want to make sure this is normal, otherwise I'll return it and get another.

Hate to ask again but can anyone help me out here? Would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to find a definitive answer by googling, but I can't find any proper information regarding the trigger rumble.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boar It posted:

Hate to ask again but can anyone help me out here? Would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to find a definitive answer by googling, but I can't find any proper information regarding the trigger rumble.

None of my controllers make any sort of audible noise. I would just return it, probably not worth dealing with xbox support.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Whoa, Phil led the development of Encarta?
Yeah, he worked as a coder on CD-ROM stuff before getting an opportunity to do exec stuff on the Games side.

Gamespot posted:

After graduating in 1990, Microsoft offered Spencer a full-time programming job in the multimedia group, where he went on to lead development on CD-ROM titles, working on projects like Encarta and the launch of MSN in 1995. In 2000, Microsoft officially entered the North American video game market with the announcement of its first home console, the Xbox. A man named Ed Fries was put in charge of acquiring first-party studios. When Microsoft eventually set up a new division, Microsoft Games, later the same year, Fries sought out Spencer. "His pitch to me was, ‘I've got this studio that I should probably shut down. Do you want to try running it before I do that?" Spencer said.

Spencer took over Studio X, an internal publishing studio, eventually working with designers like Peter Molyneux on Fable; Brian Reynolds on Rise of Nations; and John Tobias on Tao Feng. He spent a few years in London looking after Lionhead and Rare before returning to Redmond in 2008 to take over as general manager of the company's internal game studios and begin work on Microsoft's third home console, the Xbox One.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

kri kri posted:

None of my controllers make any sort of audible noise. I would just return it, probably not worth dealing with xbox support.

Thank you! I was unsure since my friend's xbox one controller is apparently audible and some random dude on the xbox discord said it is normal too. But if there are silent controllers out there then something is obviously up. Luckily the store I bought it from has a 30 day return window (regardless of usage) so I'll do that and hopefully I won't get another dud. I figured if this was the norm there would be a lot more complaints since while it is fine when wearing headphones, I can imagine it being far worse while playing with speakers.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Boar It posted:

The only noise I ever get out of my controller is when Forza is adding feedback to the brakes the rumble gets a little audible, but nothing I would consider concerning.

Boar It posted:

Thank you! I was unsure since my friend's xbox one controller is apparently audible and some random dude on the xbox discord said it is normal too. But if there are silent controllers out there then something is obviously up. Luckily the store I bought it from has a 30 day return window (regardless of usage) so I'll do that and hopefully I won't get another dud. I figured if this was the norm there would be a lot more complaints since while it is fine when wearing headphones, I can imagine it being far worse while playing with speakers.

Since you have an exchange window I would do that. If the new one does the same thing you can post a video or something and we can compare.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

About to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmhRditAffU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder how they'll avoid showing Bill Gates.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Or Mattrick :newlol:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Detective No. 27 posted:

spoiler: they didn't

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're showing him now! lol

It's loving weird seeing The Rock with hair

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

There were clips of the Ballmer 'DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS" presenation. I don't think they're going to avoid Bill or Mattrick

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rock forgot to mention that Bill Gates was a frequent guest on Epstein's pedophile island.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rock forgot to mention that Bill Gates was a frequent guest on Epstein's pedophile island.

The divorce stuff makes it even more obvious that this ended up being true.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"Pretty much every day at work I'm on Xbox" big deal Phil, who isn't?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are they actually gonna show any games at this thing?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is a little cringy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rageaholic posted:

God you're dumb lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

They did warn that they werent going to. We kinda all knew to have low expectations, and to take the rumors with a grain of salt. Its look like zero rumors will be true.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1457758517234864128?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

This is a little cringy.

No it's fine, they just showed a montage of people who got totally laid thanks to Xbox.