Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

honeys the best. bring back honey for mania 2 or whatver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

oh you poor baby

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Amy Mania is a really fantastic mod. Even has edited ending cinematics and stuff. And the spritework for Amy is top-notch, just looks totally official. Her moveset is a ton of fun in Sonic Mania.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

MikeJF posted:

oh you poor baby

I’m sure there will be a Mania successor at some point, but probably not for another 4 or 5 years. Evening Star’s just gotta finish their 3D game and Iizuka wants classic Sonic to be a special thing, probably just for anniversaries.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’m sure there will be a Mania successor at some point, but probably not for another 4 or 5 years. Evening Star’s just gotta finish their 3D game and Iizuka wants classic Sonic to be a special thing, probably just for anniversaries.

at this rate a mainline 3D Sonic game not being lovely is a special occasion, too. Generations is a decade old. Even if Frontiers ends up being good, it'll have been 11 years since the last good one

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really the games are sort of an afterthought, franchise wise.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Every time I see this thread pop up in my bookmarks I get angry that we don't have any VO clips of Idris as Knux yet

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im dying for a trailer

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PS4/Xbox One generation only got one mainline 3D Sonic game. If Sonic Frontiers is open world they better skip those consoles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

PS4/Xbox One generation only got one mainline 3D Sonic game. If Sonic Frontiers is open world they better skip those consoles.

I’m pretty sure the game has already been confirmed as coming out for those consoles as well.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They announced it for Switch as well so expect that to be a poo poo show. At this point I don't know who is still buying these Switch versions other than Youtubers who make a living by creating videos showing off how bad Switch ports are.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I learned my lesson on Switch ports when MK11 on cartridge took up like 90% of the console's space.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I will buy the Sonic game on my Nintendo Switch

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

J-Spot posted:

They announced it for Switch as well so expect that to be a poo poo show. At this point I don't know who is still buying these Switch versions other than Youtubers who make a living by creating videos showing off how bad Switch ports are.

I like getting switch ports because I like having portable versions of games. :shobon:

I didn't mind the Switch version of Forces, though yeah the Colors Ultimate stuff was wild and I didn't get that one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

J-Spot posted:

I think the Switch versions of every multiplatform Sonic release has sold much more than on other platforms. The new one’s Switch port is probably a priority.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think the Switch versions of every multiplatform Sonic release has sold much more than on other platforms. The new one’s Switch port is probably a priority.

It wasn't the priority for the last two games, or a ton of other games for which the Switch version was obviously going to be big.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm buying everything on Switch I can because then my wife can watch Youtube on the TV and I can game next to her, or while watching Youtube on my laptop in the background

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It wasn't the priority for the last two games, or a ton of other games for which the Switch version was obviously going to be big.

I’d like to imagine it’ll have more thought after Colors but then I remember this is Sonic Team we’re talking about here.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I understand from a business perspective why they have to make a Switch version of all these games, but Sonic Team hasn't been a good or even competent game developer in a long time, and unfortunately I think the Switch hardware limitations are holding them back. It would be nice if they could focus on making a game for more powerful hardware but that will definitely not happen, and even if it did, they made Sonic 2006 for only next-gen systems at the time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m glad they’re making Switch stuff since I only have that for a newer console and would like to at least to give it a try.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, for that last reason, ('06) I don't think power is the problem. But maybe having too many target platforms doesn't help them.

IMO the issues seem to be rushing releases to hit targets, and more personally, I think the fact they don't really just double down on success/focus on what works?

Like, you sort of see a little bit of that in Unleashed and Generations, with Generations using the good part of Unleashed for it's Modern Design, but then the next game goes in a totally new direction.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i finished amy mania plus, both encore mode and a run through mania mode so i could actually spend an appreciable amount of time as the titular character lol. encore mode is a blast, i decided pretty early on to smash every character swap monitor i could and just roll with it, and i can't really imagine playing that mode any other way. the changes made to the metal sonic fight kinda blow but otherwise, incredibly good top tier sonic

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, for that last reason, ('06) I don't think power is the problem. But maybe having too many target platforms doesn't help them.
Well, they wanted to have 06 on the Wii as well. That was, in fact, a major issue in its development.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There is absolutely no reason they would skip PS4/Xbox One, the new consoles are barely trickling into people's hands, open world games have been perfectly viable since PS3 days, and I doubt Frontiers will go at the speed of the boost games. It'll probably be closer to the Adventure games in speed; if Unleashed was difficult enough to fill out the world then they aren't even going to attempt it for an open world game.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really want to believe this. But I know that it'll be more of a Ps2 / Wii version than anything. Or if they do somehow get the full game on Switch, it might be one of those streaming game situations. And I'd just rather get an actual hard copy on ps4 at that point.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
https://twitter.com/ScourgeComic/status/1460235434118635522

Someone's actually paying goddamn Penders for this?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

friends,

Sonic Unleashed is now 60fps on the series X!

https://twitter.com/itsHelias94/status/1460321627615473666?s=20

I'm gonna try it out tonight :-]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Let's blast through with Sonic speed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please also purchase xboxes for me and my friends

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The hell, trying to even remotely justify that Penders owns Scourge is hard enough, when Penders did not create him in anyway.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looper posted:

please also purchase xboxes for me and my friends

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Another Red Flag for this, apparently the Artist is a White Supremist.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

friends,

God what a loving gorgeous game

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

friends,

Unf, water shaders.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Xad posted:

at this rate a mainline 3D Sonic game not being lovely is a special occasion, too. Generations is a decade old. Even if Frontiers ends up being good, it'll have been 11 years since the last good one
We’re at the point where just a mainline game is a special occasion. The last major game was Forces, and before that it was Lost World. Like, these gaps would be perfectly fine if the games were good, but like you said…Generations was a decade ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s depressing how much better Unleashed looks than Forces when it’s almost a decade older. I’m not just talking about this new boosted Xbox version too.

Also lol at that new Penders poo poo. Who the gently caress are actually fans of his.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 16, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

God Ken Penders sucks so much

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another Red Flag for this, apparently the Artist is a White Supremist.
loving Lol.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

ZZT the Fifth posted:

lol

beep by grandpa posted:

friends,

extremely jealous of Xbox pals rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can't believe Penders will continue the story of "Hedgehog that used to be Sonic but with aviators."