Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Born Again is so loving good. I think, as a whole, Bendis' run on Daredevil might be better than Frank Miller's, but as a single story Born Again is probably the best. It's very weird that no adaptation of Daredevil has tried to do a straight adaptation of it. I guess season 3 of the Netlfix show was a version of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I consider it one of the great moments of good fortune in my life that 13 year old me decided to spend his pocket money on Daredevil #227

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Born Again is so loving good. I think, as a whole, Bendis' run on Daredevil might be better than Frank Miller's, but as a single story Born Again is probably the best. It's very weird that no adaptation of Daredevil has tried to do a straight adaptation of it. I guess season 3 of the Netlfix show was a version of it?

If somebody called Born Again the best Daredevil story, best Marvel story or even best comics story I don't know I would argue much.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The Phoenix Force has The Avengers and some other heroes and villains fight it out and the winner gets to be The Phoenix. It was basically a tournament arc in an american comic and it ruled.

In one round, Wolverine fought the Black Panther.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His teeth wouldn't be in the way, he's going straight up through his tongue and palate.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

goatface posted:

His teeth wouldn't be in the way, he's going straight up through his tongue and palate.

the penciller maybe didnt consider this when illustrating the script

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just like….aim a bit higher wolvie?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like lacing your teeth with magic metal is probably not going to go well for you if you don't have a healing factor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing I've learned since I started reading comics with Black Panther in them, it's that vibranium does whatever the gently caress the writer wants it to do

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Could just be vibranium dentures?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Vibranium Invisalign.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Discendo Vox posted:

Vibranium Invisalign.

Goes with his Smile DirectedEnergyWeapon Club EMP fillings, I guess.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Aren't teeth like... held in place by gum and whatnot? Lacing teeth in an indestructible metal is going to achieve jack poo poo if the stuff keeping the teeth in their place is easily cut or dislocated. Enjoy your invincible teeth scattered on the floor while those claws slice through the rest of your skull.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Aren't teeth like... held in place by gum and whatnot? Lacing teeth in an indestructible metal is going to achieve jack poo poo if the stuff keeping the teeth in their place is easily cut or dislocated. Enjoy your invincible teeth scattered on the floor while those claws slice through the rest of your skull.

Honestly even if they stop it, like, having one of Wolverine's indestructable claws slamming directly into your teeth is gonna loving suck for your jaw even if he can't pierce them. Especially since his claws are on loving fire in this case and T'challa's lips are fairly clearly not covered in Vibranium Toothpaste.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If the claws don't puncture/cut the teeth then it's purely the strength of Wolverine's mutant wrist glands or whatever squeezing to pop a snkt vs the strength of Black Panther's teeth roots, who knows what wins that battle

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I am puking in my mouth rn.

It's invincible vomit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I mean dont get me wrong its certainly badass

but it just doesn't work for so many reasons. In this essay, I will outline some of the

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool to see that Born Again kudos up top, I've still gotta read that. Every time somebody posts some props, something goes up my list, it's science. I bought all those Daredevil trades way way back, I read the first 80s collection of three, so got those prior to Born Again on the ol everlovin' backlog. Tons of 80s and 90s stuff to get to.

Here's a couple of my fav most badass moments in comic history, from Savage Dragon. For some of it you kinda have to be invested in the character and story for it to be as cool. From the arc where Dragon is in jail, just a great moment involving him spitting his tooth (with super spitting strength, folks). But even with the ridiculous Schwarzenneger-ness of this moment, which I love, it also has genuine gravitas, since I love Dragon, and his life is pretty messed up at this point. Probably my favorite character.

And another moment that sticks with me, from Savage Dragon 75. He had to do some stuff that led to your ol' crisis or whatever, where reality and Earth gets destroyed or whatever. Just a badass 'tude this guy has.

And as an off topic bonus, the most badass moment in anime/manga history, from 1971.

As you can see, Lupin is lighting a cigarette with his finger! That is a power play. Plus in the context of this 2nd episode of the series, based on a manga chapter, he's facing an evil magician doing crazy stuff. So our guy here is showing, like, he can do crazy stuff too, so that's pretty badass if you think about it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Heavy Metal posted:

(with super spitting strength, folks).
Eh, I'll allow it. Unless you specifically have your super strength limited to your extremities, spitting is uses the facial muscles so it falls under the umbrella. It's definitely a cool and unusual "gently caress you" to someone who thinks they've got the upper hand.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is OG Dragon actually that old now? I know that time progresses in his book a bit more steadily than in most superhero stuff considering his kid is an adult now, but drat

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Shang-Chi #5: Shang-Chi is trying to turn his dad's old evil organization, the Five Weapons Society, into an actual force for good. But some shady motherfuckers show up trying to sell him a clearly stolen Iron Man suit.

Shang-Chi does not have metal teeth or super strength but he is the Master of Kung Fu™ so I say he's allowed to catch and spit bullets because it's cool

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolutely, bullet catching is good. Spitting stuff is good, really it's all good. If you haven't seen the movie The Last Dragon (1985), it is so good. It has the most hell yeah bullet in mouth catching scene I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is OG Dragon actually that old now? I know that time progresses in his book a bit more steadily than in most superhero stuff considering his kid is an adult now, but drat

It's pretty darn legit with the realtime thing, it's really nifty. I love Judge Dredd, that's the other one that does impressive stuff with time, but on aging Dragon is even more legit. For example right now his son Malcolm Dragon and wife Maxine have a bunch of rugrat Dragon kids running around. And the idea is, if Erik is still writing the book in say 10 to 15 years, we're gonna see a hell of a super team there.

Also, I kind of dodged the direct question, suffice it to say some things have gone down with our guy Dragon senior in the recent couple years. Ok I'll say it, if people wanna know, I can't even type it, I'm gonna be blubbering like a baby seal. Dragon... he went somewhere in issue 225.

Although! Being comics, there's a window opened so to speak, and we have an alternate version of Dragon from another dimension hanging around now, Paul Dragon. Who is supposed to be the Dragon from the pre-Image comics from the 80s, like Megaton and Graphic Fantasy. So he has the croissant-esque smaller fin, though he's the same age as our Dragon as well.

Here's this other guy I'm talking about :

Also after this he gets a metal arm, for the record.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Four #276 (1985)

I am probably the only one, but I always kinda hoped they would bring back Elspeth Cromwell someday. Look at her just effortlessly clowning on Reed and Sue while wearing stylish sunglasses and a cool ponytail. Her power and style is matched only by her incredible stupidity (Reed and Sue are trying to live incognito, so she assumes they must be witches pretending to be the Fantastic Four pretending to be normal people). Sadly, she was never mentioned again after this story.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Best part of that has to be Sue’s heckin’ rad mullet

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Best part of that has to be Sue’s heckin’ rad mullet

IIRC in a previous issue she got interrupted by a superhero fight (as on is wont to do) in the middle of getting a haircut. She then never went back and kept the mullet?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
...I remember that haircut. This is the same period where Sue was eventually turned into an evil dominatrix and saved through misogyny.
Content warning for domestic violence.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
John Byrne, ladies, gents and enby friends

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Fantastic Four #276 (1985)

I am probably the only one, but I always kinda hoped they would bring back Elspeth Cromwell someday. Look at her just effortlessly clowning on Reed and Sue while wearing stylish sunglasses and a cool ponytail. Her power and style is matched only by her incredible stupidity (Reed and Sue are trying to live incognito, so she assumes they must be witches pretending to be the Fantastic Four pretending to be normal people). Sadly, she was never mentioned again after this story.

That's probably because she died during the story by summoning Mephisto and dr strange got to go, yep she's SUPER dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

That's probably because she died during the story by summoning Mephisto and dr strange got to go, yep she's SUPER dead.

When has that ever stopped anyone from coming back?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
was gonna say Karl Lagerfeld-looking rear end villain, but back then he looked normal

im not gonna say he stole the look but he def stole the look

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Skwirl posted:

When has that ever stopped anyone from coming back?

"Elspeth, we have raised you from the dead, and --"

"SINNERS! I WAS DEAD, AND MUST REMAIN SO! I SHALL TAKE YOU ALL WITH ME!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Excalibur #25: King Arthur is trying to take over a citadel that Captain Britain (Betsy Braddock) is supposed to be protecting and has successfully managed to rob her of her Captain Britain powers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a story reason as to why Betsy is Asian again?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there a story reason as to why Betsy is Asian again?

That's just how Mahmud Asrar draws. She's still white.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We're about half a decade into them getting separated and I think we can call it-- the body swap is an albatross that damaged the poo poo out of both characters, almost irreparably. Literally every week I see new art that either wants Kwannon to be white or Betsy to be Asian, and there's very clearly no way to unfuck everyone's head about it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It probably would have been fine of they didn't randomly decide to bring Kwannon back and give her her own book. She was a lovely character that lasted for 7 months and then died when the books were at their soap opera-est.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, but Kwannon's book is like the best one. which is doubly ironic since her first book was by far the worst.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of feel like lovely King Arthurs in comics, in 2021, is asking to be compared to Once and Future, and that is a hurdle that Excalibur is not up to surmounting

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It probably would have been fine of they didn't randomly decide to bring Kwannon back and give her her own book. She was a lovely character that lasted for 7 months and then died when the books were at their soap opera-est.

Wasn't random. Betsy in the boob ninja suit makes little sense, but the boob ninja look is one of the X-Men looks for better and for worse. An entire generation grew up spanking it to that, myself included. They know it from the Jim Lee art and the Capcom games and there's a 0% chance Marvel is going to leave one penny of that brand recognition on the ground.

That's why Kwannon kept "Psylocke" and the look while they did an even deeper dive on Betsy past to try and differentiate her... only for 50% of the artists to ignore that anyway because "wait I thought she was Psylocke and Asian?" Which double-sucks because Betsy as Captain Britain is excellent and her Excalibur run has only gotten better once it shed the baggage of X of Swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kind of feel like lovely King Arthurs in comics, in 2021, is asking to be compared to Once and Future, and that is a hurdle that Excalibur is not up to surmounting

I think this one is being lovely because Merlin is mind controlling him. He's not inherently lovely, so maybe by the end of the arc he'll be cool and good.