Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I'm gonna play the dreamcast rear end looking Diamond and Pearl remakes and hell, I'll prolly have fun with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I'm gonna play the dreamcast rear end looking Diamond and Pearl remakes and hell, I'll prolly have fun with them

you're going to get some gamers heated up with this kinda talk!!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
All youtubers are bad. HTH

Yes, especially that one.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Some of us can't work remotely because we have real jobs at the dick sucking factory

I’m sure you get this a lot but thank you for your service

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
the only sean megami game i've played is persona 5 and it was fun but had gross relationship stuff. this new one seems to be popular. please explain the silly moth i keep seeing pictures of and if i, a casual video gamer, should buy this game

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Everything should aspire to look like a Dreamcast game. The skies have never been as blue as they were in 1999

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jackhunter64 posted:

Everything should aspire to look like a Dreamcast game. The skies have never been as blue as they were in 1999

the most dreamcast looking game on the Switch is Mr Driller, there's something about that era of early 00s puzzle/arcade game that is just happy mode

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hotdog feet posted:

the only sean megami game i've played is persona 5 and it was fun but had gross relationship stuff. this new one seems to be popular. please explain the silly moth i keep seeing pictures of and if i, a casual video gamer, should buy this game

smt is like persona with all the clumsy high school dating sim stuff removed, and with a more refined battle system. they are usually pretty difficult and the stories, while relatively light, revolve around the conflicting ideologies of law and chaos, generally. you can gain new party members by negotiating with demons, which can become quite silly

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
why would they have dating simulation for high school? who cares about that? you rarely end up with ur first love anyway

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s because video games are for teenagers and children and they don’t care about Adults dating

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Plant MONSTER. posted:

why would they have dating simulation for high school? who cares about that? you rarely end up with ur first love anyway

The people that play these games were not dating in high school, it’s a new experience for them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sorry I know this probably gets repeated a lot, but are there any particularly good or trustworthy micro SD brands at the moment for the Switch? I guess it may just all sort of be luck of the draw in terms of counterfeit issues through Amazon, so I'm probably just gonna find a relatively cheap one that doesn't look obviously shady.

TBH I partly just wanted to ask this question as an excuse to share this amazing review on a Micro Center microSD card:

But I am also curious if there's really anything meaningful to help decide for Switch purposes.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
MGMT NOTE: Dipping sauce comes with SD card meal ONLY. Limit one sauce per meal.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

The people that play these games were not dating in high school, it’s a new experience for them.

That's... That's true, yes. But I was gay in highschool and I was too physically and mentally repulsive for the other gay kids to love me the only gay!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Martman posted:

Sorry I know this probably gets repeated a lot, but are there any particularly good or trustworthy micro SD brands at the moment for the Switch? I guess it may just all sort of be luck of the draw in terms of counterfeit issues through Amazon, so I'm probably just gonna find a relatively cheap one that doesn't look obviously shady.

TBH I partly just wanted to ask this question as an excuse to share this amazing review on a Micro Center microSD card:

But I am also curious if there's really anything meaningful to help decide for Switch purposes.

The Samsung ones seem like they aren't really counterfeited and are usually competitively priced.

Also consider buying from Best Buy instead, they don't do the third party seller poo poo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

Are people using their Switch OLED in Vivid or Standard mode?
I haven't bothered to change the default, so I suppose that's Vivid mode.

Tender Bender posted:

Vivid makes colors really pop but it feels like it must be distorting the "real" colors.
Sure, but this isn't fine cinema. Many video games already use highly-saturated neon colors to begin with, so Vivid mode is just "more neon" here. User preference.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I haven't bothered to change the default, so I suppose that's Vivid mode.

Sure, but this isn't fine cinema. Many video games already use highly-saturated neon colors to begin with, so Vivid mode is just "more neon" here. User preference.

:goofy:

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
in p5, you can make your teacher (who comes over to your lovely little bedroom dressed as a maid) your love interest. that game is fun but gross. new game sounds cool though as long as there's not more bullshit like that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

hotdog feet posted:

in p5, you can make your teacher (who comes over to your lovely little bedroom dressed as a maid) your love interest. that game is fun but gross. new game sounds cool though as long as there's not more bullshit like that.

itneresting. so you prefer to date the children? Woudl YouLike To Take a Seat Over HEre.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Red Warrior posted:

The Samsung ones seem like they aren't really counterfeited and are usually competitively priced.

Also consider buying from Best Buy instead, they don't do the third party seller poo poo.
Thanks for the tip! But if this thing isn't drowning in savory sauce when it shows up I may be a little disappointed

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

The diagrams only prove Yamashita's point. The vivid mode maps the colours onto the entire colour gamut of the OLED which is much wider than the sRGB colour profile, hence why it looks more vibrant. The standard mode clamps the colours to the sRGB colour gamut which is what the games were designed for, so it should look more-or-less "correct". It's not just a saturation boost though, it's an entirely different colour management profile and affects the actual number of colours that the screen will display. On one hand, the standard mode is the "correct" colour profile to display the games as they were designed, but on the other hand it pretty heavily kneecaps one of the major "wow" factors of the OLED screen, so I understand why Nintendo would hesitate to make that default.
So all this is true up to the point of "what the games were designed for". sRGB was created in 1996 and standardized in 1999. I don't know about DOOM 64 but I'm pretty certain that the sprite artists working on DOOM graphics in Deluxe Paint II just turned the dials on their CRTs until it "looked good" if not full blast, and certainly that's what we did when we played DOOM in 1994.

In an ideal world the Switch would support HDR-ish features including non-sRGB color gamuts and DOOM remasters would map the original graphics to the appropriate color profiles so that when played on a modern television they look as close to a period-accurate CRT. In reality the only way to make use of the wider gamut of the SWOLED display is to turn on Vivid mode. Sure, doing so is technically inaccurate, and may or may not reflect "artist intention" or "a more accurate experience" depending on the title and time period. But again, this all comes down to user preference. Literally nobody gave a poo poo about how you set your CRT dials in the 90s, so why the elitism over it now?

For what it's worth, the only two titles I've put significant time into on the SWOLED is Metroid Dread, for which Vivid mode seems appropriate and Nintendo would have you think this is the intended experience, and Bloodstained which is a total graphical mess to begin with and so doesn't necessarily look worse.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

just lol if you game on anything other than a Disney Princess branded CRT from 2003

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

Stux posted:

itneresting. so you prefer to date the children? Woudl YouLike To Take a Seat Over HEre.

i would prefer the option to have my character not date anybody until college, accidentally have a kid, then drop out of school and become a trucker to support his lifestyle all while battling demons or whatever the monsters were in that game.

actually, yeah, i want a game about a trucker traveling across country who captures demons and you could have your favorite demon sit up front with you and casually point at people out the passenger window and say "heh get a look at that guy"

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

hotdog feet posted:

actually, yeah, i want a game about a trucker traveling across country who captures demons and you could have your favorite demon sit up front with you and casually point at people out the passenger window and say "heh get a look at that guy"

Large Marge for SMT 6.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So all this is true up to the point of "what the games were designed for". sRGB was created in 1996 and standardized in 1999. I don't know about DOOM 64 but I'm pretty certain that the sprite artists working on DOOM graphics in Deluxe Paint II just turned the dials on their CRTs until it "looked good" if not full blast, and certainly that's what we did when we played DOOM in 1994.

In an ideal world the Switch would support HDR-ish features including non-sRGB color gamuts and DOOM remasters would map the original graphics to the appropriate color profiles so that when played on a modern television they look as close to a period-accurate CRT. In reality the only way to make use of the wider gamut of the SWOLED display is to turn on Vivid mode. Sure, doing so is technically inaccurate, and may or may not reflect "artist intention" or "a more accurate experience" depending on the title and time period. But again, this all comes down to user preference. Literally nobody gave a poo poo about how you set your CRT dials in the 90s, so why the elitism over it now?

For what it's worth, the only two titles I've put significant time into on the SWOLED is Metroid Dread, for which Vivid mode seems appropriate and Nintendo would have you think this is the intended experience, and Bloodstained which is a total graphical mess to begin with and so doesn't necessarily look worse.

do you also turn on motion interpolation on a tv lol

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

this is a stupid conversation. Who cares lol. Play how u want and post about the games you're playing not this insanely tedious bullshit

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For what it's worth, the only two titles I've put significant time into on the SWOLED is Metroid Dread--for which Vivid mode seems appropriate and Nintendo would have you think this is the intended experience, and Bloodstained which is a total graphical mess to begin with, and so doesn't necessarily look worse.
I didn't mean Doom or Doom 64 was designed for it, but rather the Switch's library at large. Even if some games weren't originally "designed" with sRGB-accurate screens in mind, they were at least tested and approved on them, so mapping them to a wider colour gamut is going to change the dynamic range beyond the expectation of what the game would originally look like, for better or worse. But I think people should use whatever they think looks good. The important thing is that it's not a saturation boost, meaning colours aren't going to get blown out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
are there any triangle graphs about which smt game is the best

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Should I play Return of the Obra Dinn in Vivid or Standard mode??

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Martman posted:

Should I play Return of the Obra Dinn in Vivid or Standard mode??

vivid with the monochrome Apple II green graphics

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

are there any triangle graphs about which smt game is the best

currently 3 but 5 is certianlyl making a strong case

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

been playing a bit of mario party with my friends. don'tt hink they're my friends anymore. Mario Party pwns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hotdog feet posted:

This would own, would preorder

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Nintendo Switch: WeLl, If it ISN'T tHe DuMbaSS wIth Too mANy fRIendS!

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
cool just need a name for my demon trucker game and im the next hit indie dev

hellfire highway
gas, grass, rear end, or damnation
18 wheels and 1 hell of a friend

can't use highway to hell. not because it's too obvious or that i'm worried about lawsuits, just that ac/dc sucks.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Which Demon would you go on a road trip with? I’d of course choose Mothman

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Wait so SMTV has like, all the demons interactable in a fully 3D space? Each demon has unique dialogue? Is there a flavor text? This might heavily influence a near-future purchase.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One of those naked lady demons

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

hatty posted:

Which Demon would you go on a road trip with? I’d of course choose Mothman

mine would be Legion so i could have it/them scream into the radio constantly to intimidate other truckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Wait so SMTV has like, all the demons interactable in a fully 3D space? Each demon has unique dialogue? Is there a flavor text? This might heavily influence a near-future purchase.

Most of the characters in any SMT game are demons so just about all the friendly or neutral NPC you talk to in the game is a demon of some kind. And you get characters for your party by negotiating with demons you encounter instead of fighting them. They don't all have fully unique dialogue but demons come in a bunch of different archetypes and each archetype has its own dialogue. There's variance within archetypes, though, and sometimes there are unique conversations if you have a certain demon in your party who knows the demon you're trying to negotiate with.