Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I also dug the scenes of actors playing different characters, particular Whittaker telling a boring work story about her war with a retail worker :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

which will FINALLY explain the question people have been asking for decades** as to why the poor brain damaged 3rd Doctor kept referring to himself as having been alive for thousands of years when Troughton made it clear he was "only" in his 400s.

** Nobody has ever asked this question.

People have asked this question

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nobody who COUNTS has ever asked this question! *

* I have asked this question :smith:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Never heard that and honestly haven't watched the story in so long I largely don't recall much about it, but sure I can run with that as an explanation. For some reason I always thought RTD wrote that episode, but checking up on it, it was Stephen Greenhorn who also did The Lazarus Experiment.

Is this all leading to a revelation where regeneration is actually relatively mundane human future biotechnology?

I mean, Jenny pops out of a clone machine able to regenerate, though apparently requiring an external energy source. The Demon’s Run gang create a human able to fully regenerate by a bit of DNA splicing and a link to the Tardis.

The reasonable conclusion is that Time has been running longer than Gallifreyan history, so the normal everyday races are actually more scientifically advanced than the time lords. The calculations required in Day of the Doctor took hundreds of years; future humans, daleks, Sontarans etc. have had 10s of thousands.

Hence the Daleks basically winning the time war, and the Tesselector being able to extract the Doctor from a fixed point he was trapped in. Both Captain jack and engineer from the Mummy train can do repairs to the Tardis the Doctor couldn’t.

The Doctor just usually chooses to hang out on primitive backwaters where the Tardis is actually considered impressive.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Based on Bel being pregnant but not noticeably so.... just how long did Vander's endless, utterly bored exile last before the Flux showed up? Like 2 months?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I also dug the scenes of actors playing different characters, particular Whittaker telling a boring work story about her war with a retail worker :allears:

My favorite was actually her playing the Jo Doctor. The tone and attitude are completely different and Whittaker sold it so well that when the reveal happened you could kick yourself for not already figuring it out.

Especially impressive given how much trouble Chibnall has with voice and characterization in some of his stories.

Jerusalem posted:

Based on Bel being pregnant but not noticeably so.... just how long did Vander's endless, utterly bored exile last before the Flux showed up? Like 2 months?

We don’t know which people Bel and Vander are with. If they have time travel, Vander could have been away for thousands of years in his timestream while Bel perceives much less time passing.

I’m not sure how I’ll feel if it turns out that the Great Serpent is actually Rassilon. (Unlikely, but not impossible.)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Great Serpent is going to end up being taking down by Ted Hastings anyway.

(Also, mysterious lady is totally the Black Guardian, isn't she?)

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to slightly complain about the handling of the weeping angels. Chibnall thinks that it's just "don't blink" and that is what keeps them at bay. Wasn't it if you take your eyes off of them they can move? Because twice now, the camera in a pov (or over the shoulder) moves behind objects and breaks the line of sight from the Angel and it just stands there with its eyes covered (once with a lightpost/utility pole and once in the TARDIS with the big gem column). That slightly kills me each time it happens. I might have to go back and check, but did Yaz also just look away and back again and it was fine? There's no "you knew me at my best sir" moment here because just don't blink I guess.

Maybe I'm just being nit-picky!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TinTower posted:

The Great Serpent is going to end up being taking down by Ted Hastings anyway.

(Also, mysterious lady is totally the Black Guardian, isn't she?)

I suspect that the mysterious lady is going to be part of some transcendent species that lives on a plane of existence where they percieve universes the way that the Doctor looks at planets, and for their own unknown and unknowable reasons occasionally and unfeelingly witness (or even cause) the end of universes the way that the show does the with planets: some end traumatically, some end naturally, but they all end.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well whatever theories I had about the storyline are out the window now :shrug:

Yeah except I also have no loving clue what happened in this episode. Lots of the Doctor shouting, jumping around random people, and I dthink uhhh... space maybe messed up or is rude and time like keeps it together errr or ? No, really, have no loving clue what's supposed to be going on, things made more sense when I was filling in my own gaps.

SiKboy posted:

I still think Ruth!Doc being a pre-hartnell incarnation of the doctor is an incredibly bad idea, and, like all the timeless child stuff, reeks of someone being absolutely desperate to leave a permenant mark on the show without having the skill to do it by writing something good enough that future writers will call back to it. RTD resurrected the show. Moffat created the Weeping Angels. Chibnell... retconned things from before he was actually born.

I think it's a good concept, just executed horribly. Like, I don't really buy Hartnell as the first Doctor, or at least, not the first person to use the chain of bodies known as The Doctor. I think they reference too many things that don't make sense for Hartnell or any other Doctor to do. Like his dead family! That's all poo poo I see happening to a Doctor we never saw. Otherwise the Doctor seriously never visits, mentions, brings up his kids, his spouse, idk there's a lot of nutso things that I accept easier assuming it was some non-show Doctor who had the time to do anything besides cause a ruckus in adventures constantly.

This big event seems like another cool idea unfortunately executed Chibnally. The moirai poo poo we were talking about last episode, threads of fate, time management, quantum locking, all that poo poo sounds like solid Doctor Who lore to work from. Instead it's now uhhh floating cgi particle effects that eat time?

He even hosed up what could have been an iconic Who moment, an Angel piloting the Tardis, but they messed that up somehow in only a few seconds of screentime, which is impressive in it's own way.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I want to slightly complain about the handling of the weeping angels. Chibnall thinks that it's just "don't blink" and that is what keeps them at bay. Wasn't it if you take your eyes off of them they can move? Because twice now, the camera in a pov (or over the shoulder) moves behind objects and breaks the line of sight from the Angel and it just stands there with its eyes covered (once with a lightpost/utility pole and once in the TARDIS with the big gem column). That slightly kills me each time it happens. I might have to go back and check, but did Yaz also just look away and back again and it was fine? There's no "you knew me at my best sir" moment here because just don't blink I guess.

Maybe I'm just being nit-picky!

Doctor should install some security cameras in the Tardis. Like, for all of the obvious practical reasons, plus all of the reasons when it would help when something screwy is going on, but poo poo, just do it for the anti-angel countermeasure. Bonus points if the cam isn't wired into main tardis power so no fluctuating, plus they're night vision equipped.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 15, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The old woman's name is Awsok, by the by, going off the credits

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

That was the highlight yeah. She was hilarious.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

Okay, new crazy theory based on very little actual information time since my last one has been so soundly destroyed now: Bel and Vinder's kid is gonna end up being the Timeless Child and it turns out this was all a big ol' loop that allows Not-Rassilon to figure out regeneration, that eventually leads to the Doctor meeting Vinder and eventually Bel and they stop the flux and the kid gets ejected out of the now discarded time-crazy timeline and meets Not-Rassilon who figures out regeneration that eventually leads to the Doctor meeting etc etc

How does the Master and his bullshit made-up story about the Doctor being the Timeless Child fit into all this? Well it turns out, shock of shocks, the Master lied.

I look forward to next week when I discard this theory and come up with some entirely new mad and bizarre idea that will in turn quickly be discarded.
I had the exact same theory.

I also kind of figured the old lady was Not-Rassilon.

The black-and-white flashback of that messed-up house we saw does add points to the season 6B Ruth theory. At least in my mind.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What if the old lady is a far future Doctor?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
with enough universal resets allowing for enough infinite time, presumably all characters are a previous Doctor. They just never make the show about the Doctor who decided to make a living working at an honest job.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The one-electron universe, but for the Doctor instead.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Vinylshadow posted:

"Don't you see Doctor? It was in front of you all along!"

*spells out K-AOWS in the air ala artron energy or something*

"It's pronounced like chaos"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Chibnall is astonishingly bad at names. I know that's a minor nitpick but it's bizarre how awful some of the stuff he has come up with are. I mean, Rassilon was probably weird as hell back in the 70s when it was first used and only gets a pass because of familiarity with it now, but Awsok, Tecteun, Ashad, Ko Sharmus, Ranskoor Av Kolos, Paltraki etc, they both unmemorable and sound like the kind of silly names you'd get in cheap Syfy-level television shows (and no, Doctor Who is NOT at that level :mad:), and the only reason I knew any of the ones I just listed is because I had to go and look them up.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

"Don't you see Doctor? It was in front of you all along!"

*spells out K-AOWS in the air ala artron energy or something*

"It's pronounced like chaos"

"Cows?!"

"I said, it's pronounced like chaos."

"Pretty sure that spells cows, though."

Behind the scenes on the "fugitive Doctor" pretty much dashed any hopes of a "not past" Jo Doctor. OTOH, it did make me notice how Jo Martin adopts some mannerisms similar to Hartnell.

Perhaps the Flux messes with the Doctor's personal timeline and mixes up her regenerations? I just want more Jo Doctor, please.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
🤰 MY AS YET UNBORN CHILD 🤰

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Khanstant posted:

Doctor should install some security cameras in the Tardis. Like, for all of the obvious practical reasons, plus all of the reasons when it would help when something screwy is going on, but poo poo, just do it for the anti-angel countermeasure. Bonus points if the cam isn't wired into main tardis power so no fluctuating, plus they're night vision equipped.

Man, I remember older doctors using such a device before exiting the tardis.

It's kinda a pity that Chris Chibnall peaked at Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (to be fair, dinosaurs on a spaceship is a real hard idea to mess up).

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 16, 2021

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

That felt like one of the less comprehensible episodes of Lexx. Like, strong 90s scifi series vibes

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

sound like the kind of silly names you'd get in cheap Syfy-level television shows (and no, Doctor Who is NOT at that level :mad:),

Well, not on the visual level. Writing, though?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Narsham posted:

"Cows?!"

"I said, it's pronounced like chaos."

"Pretty sure that spells cows, though."

It's pronounced the way Littlefinger pronounced chaos in Game of Thrones

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Chibnall is astonishingly bad at names. I know that's a minor nitpick but it's bizarre how awful some of the stuff he has come up with are. I mean, Rassilon was probably weird as hell back in the 70s when it was first used and only gets a pass because of familiarity with it now, but Awsok, Tecteun, Ashad, Ko Sharmus, Ranskoor Av Kolos, Paltraki etc, they both unmemorable and sound like the kind of silly names you'd get in cheap Syfy-level television shows (and no, Doctor Who is NOT at that level :mad:), and the only reason I knew any of the ones I just listed is because I had to go and look them up.

Tecteun and Ko Sharmus don't sound any different than Rassilon and Davros, IMO.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sadly, since this is the end, Jodie is really getting a grip on who her Dr is. I think she’s brilliant but I’ve loathed the chirpy manic pixie dream doctor and her “fam.” But, now that she’s moving on, we’re seeing arrogance, tiredness, rude and snappy and I dig it.

For content on the episode, I about half-thought that the “my love” that space-girl was chasing down was going to be the Doctor, possibly that she was going to be a return of River Song, but alas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

navyjack posted:

the chirpy manic pixie dream doctor and her “fam.”

That’s not really who 13 has ever really been, are we watching the same show?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I still don't know what's going on, but at least next week's episode looks promising!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Calling it now that the Angels are allies here.
If they need time energy to feed of victims, and now that time is hosed, they are starving to death, so need help.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s not really who 13 has ever really been, are we watching the same show?

Eh I’m being mean about it, mostly because I’m such a Jodie Whittaker fan and have felt like they wrote her Dr very one-note for most of the 1st 2 seasons. I feel like she has been critically underserved by the whole set up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

navyjack posted:

I feel like she has been critically underserved by the whole set up.

Absolutely. You can absolutely see that with better writing she'd be incredible, and she's trying with everything she's got to make what she has work, but she's been let down by the writing and the surprising blandness of a lot of stories in spite of the over-the-top things Chibnall is trying to do to the show and it's overall history.

That's the really weird thing to me, that Chibnall seems to be pulling a lot of what's on paper very risky, big moves but outside of a few highlights he somehow manages to do it in a very bland, unexciting way, or even worse in an incredibly frustrating,"Oh gently caress off with this bullshit" way.

Edit: At least so far for this season, there's enough chaos going on that I'm continually interested in seeing what happens next episode, which is a big step up from the last two.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Been listening to audio stories while at work, and currently listening to Blood of the Daleks and I kinda wish I'd listened to any of 8th's stories sooner. :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love Lucie Miller!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I am so drat confused. I guess that's better than being bored.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, that was probably the first time I didn't have a clue about what the hell I was watching during an episode of Doctor Who.

Like, I could not explain that episode if I had a gun to my head.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If you think of Flux in the sense of a classic series 6 part story, then it was a traditional episode 3 of a 6 episode story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
But no-one escaped capture and was then subsequently recaptured? :confused:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I can't decide if Vinder knowing what a TARDIS is means something or not.

Like Occam's razor, it was probably just Chibbers subverting expectations* since everyone** is always surprised by it's entire deal, but I dunno, it just stuck out to me.

*I am loathe to bring that phrase into this thread, but it applies.

**you know what I mean.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I thought it was interesting at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Yaz's reaction to him asking if he could pilot it :allears: