Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That Old Tree posted:

If they have sufficiently little care about the rules and no one pushes too hard on system mastery, it's possible the game will be fine by accidentally avoiding actually interacting with most of the rules, good or bad.

Not impossible considering only me and one other player pay much attention to rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

That's sort of how we're doing it in my Awakening 2E game. Using all the basic rules, plus Down and Dirty spellcasting for all the minor magic they do and only cracking out the full casting rules when it's narratively significant and/or going to be fun.
The more complex CofD subsystems are mostly being ignored. It's working pretty well though, it's a nice balance for all my players, who haven't ever played WoD or CofD.

Edit: last game the Mastigos, who is a social media influencer, cyberbullied an Acamoth out of a small Temenos realm, so that was fun.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm re-reading Mage 2E closely in preparation for actually playing it and I'm annoyed with the spell list all over again. I know there was some kind of post-release update to make at least a few of the listed spells match their Practices (e.g. Thunderbolt is now a Patterning that specifies it converts ambient energy into electricity) but then you've got Control Electricity (Ruling Forces, lets you move electricity around but not intensify it) right next to Control Fire (Ruling Forces, lets you... make a fire hotter or cooler, or bigger or smaller, no mention of animating it). Come on!

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 15, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fuzz posted:

Incorrect, and Parliament of Knives actually has a Nos that looks normal to kindred and seems unassuming, and then around actual mortals who aren't ghouls he's severely offputting and wrong.

I just played Parliament of Knives. Are you talking about Qui? Because (romance route spoilers) he looks "normal" because he was experimented on by the Tzimisce who fleshwarped his disfigurement down to a big red perpetually painful scar

Every other Nosferatu is an ugly monster person

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
IIRC there was a merit somewhere for Nosferatu allowing them to pass for nearly normal, but it was never really a Thing in classic VtM that I recall. The actual characters and artwork were very inconsistent, though - some of them just look like they've been in a bad accident as a kid or had an unfortunate skin condition while others are covered in fur or constantly seeping blisters.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Loomer posted:

IIRC there was a merit somewhere for Nosferatu allowing them to pass for nearly normal, but it was never really a Thing in classic VtM that I recall. The actual characters and artwork were very inconsistent, though - some of them just look like they've been in a bad accident as a kid or had an unfortunate skin condition while others are covered in fur or constantly seeping blisters.

Yeah, Nosferatu revised has Rugged Bad Looks, a 5-point Merit where you're "only" so ugly that you're still automatically repulsive to everyone and still have Appearance 0, but in a way that's not considered a Masquerade breach. Two of the examples for this are "hunchback" and "bad smell." The other one is lizard scales on your body, which, uuuuhhhhhh.

So there you go, according to VtM, people with that fish odor disorder or with scoliosis aren't inhuman monsters, but they are Appearance 0. And if you look like you're wearing spanx made out of a komodo dragon you're still "normal."

And if we're going to make fun of the art work, let's just dive right into the characters in the Nosferatu-specific splatbook that look entirely loving normal, perhaps because it's in that weird smudgy portrait style that was in a lot of the supplements during revised.

That clearly ugly monster is Emmett, whose write-up in the book leaves out any mention whatsoever of his physical appearance (or smell), which seems like a pretty big omission for a Nosferatu character. Maybe it's in another book, but gently caress if I'm combing through who knows how many books looking for it. There's another character who appears to suffer from the affliction a third of all high school nerds and half of all cosplayers wish they had, which is elf ears.

God, I hated that art style.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh it's because he has a giant baby face

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

That Old Tree posted:

God, I hated that art style.

Yeah, it was the loving worst. It was somehow simultaneously bland, ugly, and utterly bloodless. The one line where it might have worked, Wraith, had a much better art direction.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They couldn't have known when they conceived of it back in 1990 but there are millions if not billions of people who'd gently caress a Nosferatu, so their clan flaw should be revised and Appearance should be changed to something more objective, like measuring dick or breast size.

Also I like Sam Araya's art :saddowns:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well good news, Kavak, that's not Araya - who has a much better version of the Smudgy Look - it's Christopher Shy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

Well good news, Kavak, that's not Araya - who has a much better version of the Smudgy Look - it's Christopher Shy.

Huh. They look really similar.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I guess it was just part of the style at White Wolf for a while, since a couple of artists did it very similarly. Even Shy's other stuff is actually pretty good - like his work in Montreal by Night - because it's got a solid feeling to it. Let him do black and white inkwork and Shy'll give you this:

Get him to do photorealistic art without enough time or pay and, uh, you get this:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Loomer posted:

I guess it was just part of the style at White Wolf for a while, since a couple of artists did it very similarly. Even Shy's other stuff is actually pretty good - like his work in Montreal by Night - because it's got a solid feeling to it. Let him do black and white inkwork and Shy'll give you this:

Get him to do photorealistic art without enough time or pay and, uh, you get this:

I realise that colour art in RPG rulebooks has become the industry standard, at least at the upper end of the table, but I do miss the days when major games would do black and white art. Sometimes it's just aesthetically the right choice, and sometimes you have a budget which will let you do cool, evocative black and white art or smudgy mceggface colour art like this and I wail a grognardly moan over the commercial factors which make people choose the latter over the former more often these days.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Children of the Night, the big NPC book in Revised, is nothing but those kind of headshots and it's super bland. Everybody's just blandly smooth, even freak shows like Velya or Vykos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The card game also had artwork of very variable quality.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

FirstAidKite posted:

Really stupid question about nosferatu.

Are all nosferatu specifically physically repulsive to look at and ugly in terms of conventional beauty or is the ugliness not necessarily a physical thing but more of an aura and that they just exude the idea and concept of being repulsive and ugly, for whatever definition of what that means being up to the player playing them?

V1, V2, VRev and V20 were 'walking Masquerade violation' levels of ugly.

quote:

Physical horror is the lot of the Nosferatu,
and their unsettling deformations are countless.
No two Nosferatu share the exact same malformation,
and the Clan is a freakshow of snarled limbs,
fanged protrusions, hellish countenances, serpentine
spines, ruined faces, spasmodic appendages, and
even features not usually seen on the mortal stock
from which the Nosferatu are drawn. The Sewer
Rats often hide these disfigurements under shapeless
robes and rags, but some exult in the discomfort
their presence causes, and don’t bother disguising
them. They may even emphasize them.

Mechanically, they have no appearance trait.

V5, they're still supernaturally ugly, but the mechanics are different:

quote:

Hideous and vile, all Nosferatu
count as having the Repulsive
Flaw (-2) and can never increase
their rating in the Looks Merit. In
addition, any attempt to disguise
themselves as human incur a
penalty to your dice pool equal
to your character’s Bane Severity
(this includes the Obfuscate powers
Mask of a Thousand Faces and
Impostor’s Guise)

So ugly that even the 'supernatural look less ugly' powers don't work so good on them.

In Requiem, they're not necessarily ugly, but they are somehow supernaturally strange and off-putting.

quote:

Weakness: All Nosferatu are repulsive or at the very least uncomfortable to be around.
The cause need not be a physical deformity. A palpable aura of menace, a charnel odor
or the undeniable manner of a predator is just as compelling as a twisted body. With
regard to dice pools based on Presence or Manipulation Attributes in social situations,
the 10-again rule does not apply. Additionally, any 1’s that come up on a roll are
subtracted from successes. (This latter part of the weakness does not affect dramatic failure
rules.) This weakness does not apply to dice pools that involve the Intimidation
Skill, or to the Composure Attribute.

Requiem 2e changes the mechanics, but the idea is still 'strange and off-putting,' not 'physically deformed,' but only to humans. And not even to all humans at that point.

quote:

Nosferatu: The Lonely Curse
Nosferatu embody fear, disgust, and all manner of
uncomfortable feelings. Some are inhumanly ugly. Some have
a gaze that makes a person feel violated. Every Nosferatu has
something that stands in the way of normal relationships. When
dealing with humans, treat the Nosferatu’s Humanity as two dots
lower for the purpose of Social penalties, and treat any Presence
and Manipulation failures as dramatic failures. This bane does not
apply to interactions with Touchstones or Kindred.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 15, 2021

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Warthur posted:

cool, evocative black and white art

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Do you have the page description for this character? I would love to know more about "Mother Pasta"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Do you have the page description for this character? I would love to know more about "Mother Pasta"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't eating humans a big undercurrent in the Australia book?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There's a red talon that's apparently openly doing it. But the major undercurrent in RAA is "holy gently caress these people are incompetent how have they not already lost?" Like somehow the Black Furies have come into ownership of a Caern who's totem spirit refuses to talk to women because of an ancient ban and they're basically trying to spiritually starve him out until he talks to them which is profoundly ill advised.

The sample adventure also has a silver fang who has the spirits of a thousand aboriginals bound up in a spirit drum he's using as an ottoman.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The same book at least gave us Scratches-At-Fleas, continuing the narrative that the best Bone Gnawers are the ones too busy doing poo poo and being chill to worry about their reputation.

citybeatnik fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 15, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fourth Vampire CYOA incoming:

quote:

Athens, Greece: a city with an ancient past now thrust into the modern age. A city torn between the Camarilla establishment and the Anarchs, where everyone owes your boss a favor, and that makes you an untouchable vampire in this nocturnal society where you and your fellow Kindred must conceal yourselves from mortal eyes--the Masquerade of the Kindred.

Rumors spread of an ancient vampire, Aristovoros, intent on bringing about a new world for the Kindred, an end to the Masquerade. Why hide from mortals when you can reign over them as gods?

Who will you use, who will you help, and who will you prey on? Will you topple the old Prince Peisistratos? Will you betray your boss when your lost sire returns? What miseries will you inflict to fight for a fairer, more humane world?

• Become Clan Tremere, Ventrue, Malkavian, Banu Haqim, or thin-blooded.
• Play as a man, a woman, or a non-binary person, femme, masc, or androgynous, and as gay, straight, bisexual, queer, or ace.
• Outlast a dark tale of corruption, power hunger, betrayal, and yearning for what you once were.
• Rise within the ranks of the Camarilla, stand with the Anarchs, or forge your own lonely way ahead.
• Unmask your true sire. Is it the Prince Peisistratos? One of the city's Primogen? Is it Aristovoros himself?

Which part will you play in this game of masks?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Interesting playable clan spread

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of art in Vampire this is still one of my favorite pieces. Enough so I ended up getting the same t-shirt Lambach is wearing

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

That Old Tree posted:

:shrug: I'm not surprised if ancillary or incidental sources diverge, because lol White Wolf games, but every core book up to the 5th edition specifies physical deformity for Masquerade Nosferatu (and skimming the revised Clanbook, I don't see any disagreement). I don't recall there ever being "normal-looking but offputting" on the table throughout most of Masquerade, though, and I was fairly deep into it when it was at its height.

I'm purely talking about V5, which takes most of its bane cues from VtR.

TheKingslayer posted:

Speaking of art in Vampire this is still one of my favorite pieces. Enough so I ended up getting the same t-shirt Lambach is wearing

Pretty sure that's either heavily inspired by or straight up a rendition of Martin Gore from Depeche Mode circa the late 90s (Ultra era)

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 15, 2021

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
So, what's the SA hive mind verdict on V20? I have a feeling my Storyteller is going to make a switch to that system.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

This was my rad of the temperature of this thread on different lines -

Mortals - you're here to play supernaturals don't mess with me
Vampire - ehh any is fine but probably either R2 or V5
Werewolf - F2 is neat but honestly nobody seems to actually play Werewolf for how big it is?
Hunter - V2, I just never hear anybody say anything that great about other editions
Demon - D2 jesus D2
Mage - Aw2 or As2 but absolutely NOT M20, also there's generally recommendations to incorporate elements of Aw1 into Aw2 so really the answer is 'homebrew'
Wraith/Geist - W20, this seems to be the most common answer for "best book in all of *OD"
Promethean - C2, not even close
Changeling - L2, there are D20 defenders that don't get shouted down so I guess it's fine
Mummy - lol :(
Beast - no
Deviant - I think there's only one book?

Entirely possible I'm wrong on this, some of these I'm more confident are the hivemind answers than others but some of them are like, me trying to remember vibes from years past.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Terratina posted:

So, what's the SA hive mind verdict on V20? I have a feeling my Storyteller is going to make a switch to that system.

Game is fine, lore is kind of poo poo even when it isn't causing International Incidents.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Game is fine, lore is kind of poo poo even when it isn't causing International Incidents.

V5 was the shitshow, V20 is just Distilled Revised plus Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If you're going to play owod the way you remember it and just want it being that + consolidated into a really big book, V20's totally fine.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kavak posted:

V5 was the shitshow, V20 is just Distilled Revised plus Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Counterpoint: V5 is great and the system is way more streamlined and better than V20, and this is coming from me, the Revised drum banger for the last decade and a half.

The only major flaw is you need 5 different books (one of which is free) to get all the stats + rules for the 13 clans, which is loving asinine and lovely. The layout of a lot of it in terms of just... *stuff* is super loving stupid, and that's entirely on Renegade being dumbasses about it.

Having a handy reference thing helps:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10nKgESrz3Q7Afumr9_2Vjkgc6g8-DT22hKUDAG37Rmg/edit?usp=sharing

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 16, 2021

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Steering new people towards V5 isn't a bad idea but nothing about the system has struck me hard enough to be worth purchasing/reading and learning it, or teaching it to my friends over V20. If a revision or V6 comes out that at least puts the clans in one book and formats things a little and gets some less awful covers then I might change my mind.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Terratina posted:

If you like/tolerate (old) World of Darkness games, and Vampire in particular, it's probably the best or second-best single book for that. It is 100% a nostalgia celebration edition and knows it. Improvements over old material are minimal, but it's also written as well as can be and with familiar love, even in the supplements.

If you already dislike (old) World of Darkness, and Vampire in particular, it's probably the worst thing since it's that thing you hate but also 450 pages long (plus supplements!), stuffed to the brim with an expert curation of the accumulated cruft of 20 years of bizarre nonsense.

I love it, and I dearly regret not getting my hands on a tradprint copy when I could've.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Lost first edition is a better game than Lost second edition, but Lost second edition is built on a better core Chronicles of Darkness game engine than Lost first edition was.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

If you like/tolerate (old) World of Darkness games, and Vampire in particular, it's probably the best or second-best single book for that. It is 100% a nostalgia celebration edition and knows it. Improvements over old material are minimal, but it's also written as well as can be and with familiar love, even in the supplements.

If you already dislike (old) World of Darkness, and Vampire in particular, it's probably the worst thing since it's that thing you hate but also 450 pages long (plus supplements!), stuffed to the brim with an expert curation of the accumulated cruft of 20 years of bizarre nonsense.

I love it, and I dearly regret not getting my hands on a tradprint copy when I could've.

Fair enough! I think the nostalgia factor of it is working on our Storyteller.

I'll admit it was great having a Strength-based brawler being viable in combat without dipping into Celebrity or Potence but otherwise, the V5's formatting is nothing I want to inflict on anyone nor is the antagonistic tone towards players and combat really is wonky.

Though I suspect that being even worse in V20.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Lost first edition is a better game than Lost second edition,
In what ways?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think my favorite improvement from V20 is making celerity a little more balanced.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TheKingslayer posted:

I think my favorite improvement from V20 is making celerity a little more balanced.

It was so weird how they smoothed out the big three physical Disciplines, which is a relatively drastic change, and had long, ruminating blog posts about what exactly the core dice mechanic should end up being like, but then left Chimerstry a nickle-and-dime dogshit progression. At least they loosened up the weird restrictions where you have to sit there staring at the illusion you create or else it immediately dissipates. And then the wheels fly off at lower Generations because Fatuus Mastery still makes the first three levels totally free to use, which is both bonkers and a really loving boring thing to spend a bazillion xp to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have an extreme hankering to play V5 after mainlining so much Vampire stuff in the last few days but I'm stuck in the Forever GM zone