Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harrow posted:

The boss themes in this game are so loving good

very good that someone named Finn mcCool has a boss theme fitting his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is "cum" Scottish for "cool?"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, Fionn mac Cumhaill is Irish, for one. Finn McCool is just an English spelling of how it's pronounced.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I’ve just defeated (DLC Spoilers) Matador and felt good about it. My team was Aeros, Ame-no-Uzume and Kukruri-Hime and pretty much involved myself and Uzume spamming Concentrated Ziongas while Aeros and Kukuri-Hime spammed debuffs with an occasional Media from the latter. Was certainly a nail biter, but definitely felt good beating him.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I waited a bit to post my impressions but I just got to the first big story bit after a change in scenery after about 20 hours and think I have a pretty good base to work with.

Music is very strong - probably the best in the mainline series in my opinion. The Da'at battle theme and boss themes are real standouts, with the World of Shadows theme being another low-key favorite. There's at least one mini-boss theme I can't stand but I've only heard it a couple times and it's probably the most buttrocky one you're thinking of.

Combat feels good and dangerous without being too punishing. Magatsuhi abilities can be a nice get out of jail free card (when you have them) but the initiative system makes it so you can almost never guarantee going first unless you play very deliberately, and as we know going second can be a death sentence in the right circumstances. Bosses have been good and scary, and each one so far (especially the second) has forced me to play with essence fusion, defensive items, and debuffs.

If there's one complaint I have about the combat so far it's that the default Magatsuhi ability is still the strongest 20 hours in out of the dozen or so I have across various demon species. Of course I could be wrong and there could be some real bangers but when you're in a pinch it's hard to argue against the utility of free crits for a whole turn, especially when you're fighting something you don't have an immediate answer to. Just going to have to force myself to use different ones I guess.

No real comments on the story except it started strong with a very forboding, mysterious setting, and after the first major plot event seems to be going in a more...anime direction? Which isn't bad necessarily, but I'm going to wait a bit longer to see how it hits me. IV had a very strong "things are not as they seem" moment and V's felt a bit weaker compared to that, is all.

Last couple negative comments aside V could very well end up being my favorite SMT depending on how things unfold later, but regardless it's certainly the best *playing* SMT in my opinion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thinking about game difficulty again and I think I feel the same way about SMTV's difficulty that I did about Bravely Second. I want the Hard-mode boss fights but the Normal-mode random battles (or, y'know, not-random in SMTV's case). The non-boss battles feel kinda tedious on hard in SMTV, but the boss fights feel a little too easy on normal, and that's exactly how I felt about Bravely Second, too.

I don't really love how failing a demon negotiation on Hard can just straight-up be a game over on the spot, but I also don't really like how there have been multiple boss and miniboss fights on Normal where I haven't really felt like I was in any danger of losing.

Maybe that evens out later on? Anyone on Hard pretty far in and can talk about how the non-bosses feel in the later parts of the game?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I waited a bit to post my impressions but I just got to the first big story bit after a change in scenery after about 20 hours and think I have a pretty good base to work with.

Music is very strong - probably the best in the mainline series in my opinion. The Da'at battle theme and boss themes are real standouts, with the World of Shadows theme being another low-key favorite. There's at least one mini-boss theme I can't stand but I've only heard it a couple times and it's probably the most buttrocky one you're thinking of.

Combat feels good and dangerous without being too punishing. Magatsuhi abilities can be a nice get out of jail free card (when you have them) but the initiative system makes it so you can almost never guarantee going first unless you play very deliberately, and as we know going second can be a death sentence in the right circumstances. Bosses have been good and scary, and each one so far (especially the second) has forced me to play with essence fusion, defensive items, and debuffs.

If there's one complaint I have about the combat so far it's that the default Magatsuhi ability is still the strongest 20 hours in out of the dozen or so I have across various demon species. Of course I could be wrong and there could be some real bangers but when you're in a pinch it's hard to argue against the utility of free crits for a whole turn, especially when you're fighting something you don't have an immediate answer to. Just going to have to force myself to use different ones I guess.

No real comments on the story except it started strong with a very forboding, mysterious setting, and after the first major plot event seems to be going in a more...anime direction? Which isn't bad necessarily, but I'm going to wait a bit longer to see how it hits me. IV had a very strong "things are not as they seem" moment and V's felt a bit weaker compared to that, is all.

Last couple negative comments aside V could very well end up being my favorite SMT depending on how things unfold later, but regardless it's certainly the best *playing* SMT in my opinion.

As someone who's finished it I think that's already a pretty agreeable take. The story didn't really work for me (though it did hit its nadir fairly early on and mostly improve after that) and I have some criticisms of particular areas and songs though they're mostly very good. It's kind of a split decision between this game and SMT4 on SMT atmosphere to me. Better in some ways, worse in others.

But how good this game feels to play, and how sharp the game design is in a lot of ways, really elevates it in my eyes. It feels like the best iteration of the fundamental SMT systems, and in general like a game that really had the amount of time in the oven it needed

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Deified Data posted:

The jaki magatsuhi ability is a cast of debilitate that doesn't cost a turn to use, I'm roughly where you are and it's felt very helpful for the handful of bosses I've brought it to. Haven't been too impressed with the agility part of the debuff in this game, but attack and defense down have been huge for me on hard mode.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The later game magatsuhi abilities felt like they had a general design where they can probably pump out more damage than the crit one if you build your team entirely around them, or else powerfully serve a really specific niche scenario. But the crit one is just a flexible all-rounder that is almost always very good. It probably could have stood to be a bit weaker to encourage more experimentation with the others (I certainly barely bothered) but I don't consider it too major of a flaw

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

The later game magatsuhi abilities felt like they had a general design where they can probably pump out more damage than the crit one if you build your team entirely around them, or else powerfully serve a really specific niche scenario. But the crit one is just a flexible all-rounder that is almost always very good. It probably could have stood to be a bit weaker to encourage more experimentation with the others (I certainly barely bothered) but I don't consider it too major of a flaw

Yeah I almost would have preferred it had it dramatically raised crit chance instead of making them guaranteed. Useful enough to use throughout the early game, iffy enough to prefer a sure thing with another ability.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I watched an FPS test video on youtube and it seems like it varies mostly between 26 and 28 FPS, which explains a lot, lol. With that in mind, I wonder why Atlus didn't implement some kind of adaptive resolution or lowered the overall resolution just a bit. It seems like a stable 30 wouldn't be out of reach with some optimization, but I'm not an expert.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how are people already done with it? it came out on Friday. I have ten hours in it and that feels like a lot

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My copy came on Tuesday and I played... a lot. My save time shows about 60 hours. I played on normal. I did pretty much everything except totally finishing off the compendium and beating the superbosses, which I may still go back for in NG+

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lets hang out posted:

The jaki magatsuhi ability is a cast of debilitate that doesn't cost a turn to use, I'm roughly where you are and it's felt very helpful for the handful of bosses I've brought it to. Haven't been too impressed with the agility part of the debuff in this game, but attack and defense down have been huge for me on hard mode.

yeah im currently using jaki/avian and the crit one pretty equally, and theres some others ive popped once or twice for niche situations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

Thinking about game difficulty again and I think I feel the same way about SMTV's difficulty that I did about Bravely Second. I want the Hard-mode boss fights but the Normal-mode random battles (or, y'know, not-random in SMTV's case). The non-boss battles feel kinda tedious on hard in SMTV, but the boss fights feel a little too easy on normal, and that's exactly how I felt about Bravely Second, too.

I don't really love how failing a demon negotiation on Hard can just straight-up be a game over on the spot, but I also don't really like how there have been multiple boss and miniboss fights on Normal where I haven't really felt like I was in any danger of losing.

Maybe that evens out later on? Anyone on Hard pretty far in and can talk about how the non-bosses feel in the later parts of the game?

i think the regular fights being so tough on hard fits well with the new approach. it balances completely your ability to avoid fights in most cases and makes getting caught v tense. i cant imagine theres much threat at all on normal just walking around. im still in the second area but every new enemy feels like a major threat when they appear before becoming much easier to handle but still dangerous, and then later they just flee from you anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

i think the regular fights being so tough on hard fits well with the new approach. it balances completely your ability to avoid fights in most cases and makes getting caught v tense. i cant imagine theres much threat at all on normal just walking around. im still in the second area but every new enemy feels like a major threat when they appear before becoming much easier to handle but still dangerous, and then later they just flee from you anyway.

I've come close to losing regular fights on Normal (especially against enemies that outlevel me and ambush me) but it's definitely not super threatening. I think I'm okay with that for regular fights--it can get exhausting when every regular fight is a battle for survival--but that's a price I might be willing to pay for more threatening boss fights.

I think the real thing for me is I don't like how tanky regular enemies are on Hard. If they just had the higher damage (so it's more punishing if you gently caress up) I'd be fine with that. But I'm replaying the early parts of the game on Hard right now because I'm betting I'll be glad I did in the long run. It always bums me out when I play a JRPG with a lot of cool systems but actually engaging with those systems makes the game kinda just fall down without a fight (for example, unmodded Final Fantasy XII) and I'm hoping that if I can push through this early part that feels really tedious it'll be more rewarding later.

Side note, are demon negotiations different at all on Hard? This could just be random chance but I feel like demons are more likely to ask for a lot of something on Hard than they were on Normal. Very possible it's just been bad RNG though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how are people already done with it? it came out on Friday. I have ten hours in it and that feels like a lot

You've been able to play it on pc since like Monday evening or something

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It wouldn't surprise me if magatsuhi crit can't go the distance on the superbosses, especially on hard, especially the DLC one. Feels like you probably need to get either more utility or more damage out of it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

I've come close to losing regular fights on Normal (especially against enemies that outlevel me and ambush me) but it's definitely not super threatening. I think I'm okay with that for regular fights--it can get exhausting when every regular fight is a battle for survival--but that's a price I might be willing to pay for more threatening boss fights.

I think the real thing for me is I don't like how tanky regular enemies are on Hard. If they just had the higher damage (so it's more punishing if you gently caress up) I'd be fine with that. But I'm replaying the early parts of the game on Hard right now because I'm betting I'll be glad I did in the long run. It always bums me out when I play a JRPG with a lot of cool systems but actually engaging with those systems makes the game kinda just fall down without a fight (for example, unmodded Final Fantasy XII) and I'm hoping that if I can push through this early part that feels really tedious it'll be more rewarding later.

Side note, are demon negotiations different at all on Hard? This could just be random chance but I feel like demons are more likely to ask for a lot of something on Hard than they were on Normal. Very possible it's just been bad RNG though.

i would agree fro something like nocturne where its that + you have no choice but to be thrown into random fights. but for 5 it makes it more about avoiding getting into fights when you can and makes failing that costly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

i would agree fro something like nocturne where its that + you have no choice but to be thrown into random fights. but for 5 it makes it more about avoiding getting into fights when you can and makes failing that costly.

That makes sense.

Are mitamas more common past the first area? I know people talk about how you basically never have to grind for levels or macca because you run into enough mitamas (and get enough EXP from side quests) that you'll level enough that way, at which point you can avoid battles entirely except when you need more fusion fodder.

If that's the case then I could see the tankier regular enemies actually feeling about right.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you're exploring thoroughly, checking gathering points, and doing sidequests, the quest reward exp and the magatamas and the level up items for nahobino you get cover you pretty well. Battles actually do give pretty good exp but only if you're under the level curve

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 15, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i've found that entering an area i'm underleveled gets me up to the area level relatively quickly as long as i'm powerful enough to reliably beat the enemies there

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

idk ive had more mitatamas from search spots flee from me than ive killed out in the world and ive never felt underlevelled

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and for macca the vending machines give you more than enough

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

idk ive had more mitatamas from search spots flee from me than ive killed out in the world and ive never felt underlevelled

how do you stop this from happening, is it an agility check or something

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah starting initiative is one of the things governed by agility. No idea if only nahobino's matters or it factors in your whole team or what though

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What I want to know is what difference the different buddies make on the gathering points. I get decarabia gives you more gems, but I was totally at a loss noticing any difference between the others

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'll probably enjoy Hard mode if it turns out you can avoid regular battles most of the time and you'll get enough levels on Nahobino to be able to fuse the demons you need without grinding through other means. If that's the case, then Hard mode sounds great.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like the hard mode difficulty evened out around when I left the first area. The advice to just not fight random encounters unless you're intending to negotiate is good, too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only time I've gotten into a random fight that wasn't me meaning to was random flying enemies from off my screen and when I slide down hills cause I was trying to get somewhere i shouldnt be

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's still surprising to me that you can apparently keep up with levels while avoiding most of the random fights but apparently that's true so I will continue trying Hard mode

I got a little bit in on Normal before deciding the bosses felt a little easier than I was expecting so I started a separate Hard mode save to see how I'd like it. The regular battles felt tedious and I was discouraged but yeah if I'm just not actually supposed to fight that often then that's actually not a problem.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think enemies only give reasonable xp if they're higher level than nahobino. They just become pointless once you outlevel them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You also get exp for beating quests

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, once I get to a new area I do a few fights to get my level up around what I'm fighting, and then after that the experience gains are greatly reduced so there's not much point in grinding too long in one spot. I actually really appreciate how well it paces the game and encourages exploration and pushing forwards.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I have no idea how to get to one Abscess in Taito and its driving me nuts. It's the one directly right from the initial spawn location in the area.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's all very well designed to encourage exploring and engaging with the side content. For another example, the fights not really dropping significant amounts of money pushes you to explore for vending machines

FrickenMoron posted:

I have no idea how to get to one Abscess in Taito and its driving me nuts. It's the one directly right from the initial spawn location in the area.

If I'm remembering correctly, you have to go south into asakusa and then east to climb up the bowl of the giant crater. There is a path that will get you up to it

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I made all my money back and then some after dropping the funds to get that one demon to just show me where Gustave's peeps are, just by hitting up every vending machine along the way, and that's just in the first area. I can only imagine it ramps up. Those things are lucrative.

Chunkystyle
Sep 7, 2018
Hi! I initially decided that I want to go magic with my stat build, but I've seen that there are some really cool unique str skills, I kinda want to switch.
My stat spread is:
str: 14
vit: 16
mag: 22
agi: 18
luck: 15
Only level 18, but do I screw myself over if I start pushing str now? Playing on normal also.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You're not screwed over at all, just start putting points into STR. In the long run if you're playing thoroughly you'll get more stat points and stat booster items for nahobino than you'll know what to do with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think it's all very well designed to encourage exploring and engaging with the side content. For another example, the fights not really dropping significant amounts of money pushes you to explore for vending machines

I'm only level 18 and about to enter the Diet building area but yeah, rewarding exploration is a cool take on the SMT formula. I pretty much avoid all encounters now unless necessary, or I need fusion fodder. Compared with Nocturne, which I assume most of us played/replayed earlier this year, where the world is cold and punishing and littered with demons at every corner. This time you grow powerful just by running around.