Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
An extra building slot is still a building slot for void dwelling habitat spammers. I'll still continue to take it probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Now agraian Oceandwellers will be even stronger, infinite building slots, 0 cities 0 mines, 0 electrical units

Also performance updates, glorious performance updates.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 11, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AtomikKrab posted:

Also performance updates, glorious performance updates.

Amusingly, they did have a thing similar to CK2's "every Greek character would check every day whether they could castrate somebody or not" in there that they fixed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Functional architecture was only really super powerful for habitats though? It's a weird decision to nerf it, because it's only really, really strong if you're building habitats. Otherwise it's a decent, but rather boring bonus.

If they want more civics to be represented, they need to make a niche for them, and/or buff them to the point where they can be the center of a playstyle. For instance, Environmentalist might be a powerful bonus in that I need to employ fewer CG producers, but no matter how powerful the bonus, it's boring, and it doesn't fundamentally change my playstyle. On the other hand, Masterful Crafters solves the problem from a different angle (CG producers are stronger and more interesting) in a way that transforms the empire and adds interesting flavor.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Did we ever figure out if the fisherman trait gives two jobs or just one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah like, one of the civics is just like, "+10% admin capacity" right? and that's nice and all, but not really something you define an empire with.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah buff all the boring civics that are just straight +.05% to X with stuff that actually does something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How about efficient bureaucracy is just "bureaucrats produce 1.25x or 1.5x admin cap, and .5 unity" or something. a mythical system where bureaucrats are renowned rather than derided

stuff like Corvee System completely changes how you run your empire. the influence cost for moving more than a pop every couple months is ludicrous without it, and moving lots of pops can be extremely necessary when, say, you conquer 20 worlds from one of the various hive minds/gestalt consciousnesses trying to consume/eradicate the galaxy and quickly need to get some pops on those planets before all the drones disintegrate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

How about efficient bureaucracy is just "bureaucrats produce 1.25x or 1.5x admin cap, and .5 unity" or something. a mythical system where bureaucrats are renowned rather than derided

stuff like Corvee System completely changes how you run your empire. the influence cost for moving more than a pop every couple months is ludicrous without it, and moving lots of pops can be extremely necessary when, say, you conquer 20 worlds from one of the various hive minds/gestalt consciousnesses trying to consume/eradicate the galaxy and quickly need to get some pops on those planets before all the drones disintegrate

The other thing you could do there is have administrators add +3 admin capacity or something. Whats more efficient than not needing dedicated bureacrats until a colony gets off the ground?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hobbesmaster posted:

The other thing you could do there is have administrators add +3 admin capacity or something. Whats more efficient than not needing dedicated bureacrats until a colony gets off the ground?
good idea! I can't wait until they never implement it!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'd actually like to see something more similar to genetics for government. Have X points to play with, with major changes, like Fanatic Purifier, cost more, and incidental buffs, like Environmentalist, be the equivalent of a 1 point perk. Could do some neat things where civics that are aligned with your ethics cost less, etc. Alternately, slots for major, moderate, or minor civics, with the potential for different government types to have different slots (and maybe upgrading the government over time).

That way you have design space for the lovely civics to thrive in - the little edge things that define your society as being slightly leaning in one direction or another.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd actually like to see something more similar to genetics for government. Have X points to play with, with major changes, like Fanatic Purifier, cost more, and incidental buffs, like Environmentalist, be the equivalent of a 1 point perk. Could do some neat things where civics that are aligned with your ethics cost less, etc. Alternately, slots for major, moderate, or minor civics, with the potential for different government types to have different slots (and maybe upgrading the government over time).

That way you have design space for the lovely civics to thrive in - the little edge things that define your society as being slightly leaning in one direction or another.

This would be really cool, honestly. Especially if you could pick up civics you normally couldn't get, for an additional point cost or something. Why yes my fanatic pacifists have a warrior culture!

Also on the topic of civics, while I agree that most civics should be interesting, sometimes I already have all the civics I would want for my empire, and the little small bonuses like +10% energy or +1 influence are low impact enough that I don't feel that it really messes with my empire the way I like it, and are good 'go to' civics if I need to pick up another one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dirk the Average posted:

Functional architecture was only really super powerful for habitats though? It's a weird decision to nerf it, because it's only really, really strong if you're building habitats. Otherwise it's a decent, but rather boring bonus.
No, not at all. It is essential for the Merchant-spam gimmick (Habs or no) and even if you're not doing that, having more building slots without needing to open them up without tech and/or paying a base of 500 minerals for a City District is great. On any planet it means you have a building slot for things like a strategic resource generator without ballooning your admin by building more city districts when you might not need the carrying capacity it would add to a planet. On small planets it means you can get by with fewer city districts overall. It adds a ton of flexibility and was an always-take for me.

I even called that they would nerf it back to one building slot when people found a way to abuse having two more for free. I'd like them to bring back the 10% upkeep because it means I have to produce fewer strategics.

I'm all for them making the civics unique and flavorful though. I'm still ticked about the Byzantine Bureaucracy nerf. I'd love to see them change it to lean into what they changed it to - instead of the (completely loving useless) 1 unity and 1 stability I'd love for it to really embody the absurdity of a true Byzantine Bureaucracy and have each Bureaucrat produce slightly less admin cap, but add like 2 each of stability, unity, amenities, pop growth, and reduced building/district construction cost. It would turn it from "you stuff all your bureaucrats on one planet to be miserable" to "each planet gets bureaucrats". Not ground breaking but... different.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 12, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
well, you say not ground breaking but if they changed it to be that, itd be a must pick for me

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In the same way that slaver guilds enforces a certain enslaved ratio, wether you want it or not, I think Byzantine Bureaucracy should to some extent enforce bureaucrats. Add one for every X pops! Include them in other buildings/districts! If your empire relies on it's massive Bureaucracy, it really shouldn't shove it off in an admin building like the others do. Also, each bureaucrat should reduce consumer goods upkeep for everyone on the planet slightly, because it gets harder and harder to apply for them.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Phosphine posted:

In the same way that slaver guilds enforces a certain enslaved ratio, wether you want it or not, I think Byzantine Bureaucracy should to some extent enforce bureaucrats. Add one for every X pops! Include them in other buildings/districts! If your empire relies on it's massive Bureaucracy, it really shouldn't shove it off in an admin building like the others do. Also, each bureaucrat should reduce consumer goods upkeep for everyone on the planet slightly, because it gets harder and harder to apply for them.

I really like this. More flavourful civics is absolutely the way to go.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mr. Grinch posted:

well, you say not ground breaking but if they changed it to be that, itd be a must pick for me
lol, well that's why I'm not a videogame designer I guess

Phosphine posted:

I would be down for this too

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A lot of posts in this thread are people talking about the game they wish to be playing, rather than the one they have.

Or put another way, if you spend all day daydreaming about what you'd like to see changed, it might be a sign to move on and enjoy other titles.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phosphine posted:

Yesss. Make them like cockroaches.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

A lot of posts in this thread are people talking about the game they wish to be playing, rather than the one they have.

Or put another way, if you spend all day daydreaming about what you'd like to see changed, it might be a sign to move on and enjoy other titles.
Or some people like to post about these kinds of things? It is pretty widely agreed by the thread that:
  • Stellaris is in a good spot right now
  • Stellaris is the best game in the genre right now, especially with its support for modding
  • Stellaris has warts that could be worked on
  • Its fun daydreaming about Stellaris because the game is actively being worked on and improved - many of the "daydreams" are fueled by recent changes the developer made

Theres nothing wrong people posting about things they would like to see in the game, especially when said things would be simple changes to a few lines of code. I could easily whip up a mod that does what I just said about bureaucrats or what Phosphine said. Splicer literally made a mod because he didnt like how leader negative traits worked and saw that other people posted about how they didnt like how they worked.

I follow about a dozen game threads and I see "oh man it would be cool if they did this" in every single one of them. I dont understand why you would feel the need to say something like that about this thread specifically when you post in a lot of the same threads. If you dont like it you can just not post in the thread :shrug:

Your post just comes across as super condescending. What do you expect people to post about 7+ year old game?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 13, 2021

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
How DARE people think Stellaris could still be improved.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

You complain about Stellaris and yet you play Stellaris, curious....

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
where is mai feesh

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Honestly I love this game. I spend absolutely no time thinking about how to improve games I don't like, I just stop playing them. Because I like this game, I play it a lot, and that makes me notice and think about things that aren't the way I think they should!

I then share my extremely radical "things that would make this good game maybe even better, to me, imho" with other people who also play this game.

If you spend all day daydreaming about what you'd like to see changed, it might be a sign to move on and enjoy other threads.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Serephina posted:

Truly this is the best of all possible worlds

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hopefully the next Stellaris will base their economy and pops on Vicky and the characters from CK. :v:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Poil posted:

Hopefully the next Stellaris will base their economy and pops on Vicky and the characters from CK. :v:

Throw in the combat from Sins of a Solar Empire and you've got a hell of a space game

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Poil posted:

Unironically I'd love the economy part - imagine having planets with ultra rare resources that are worth fighting over instead of just being one more planet in your collection.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yami Fenrir posted:

Unironically I'd love the economy part - imagine having planets with ultra rare resources that are worth fighting over instead of just being one more planet in your collection.
Having space worth fighting over is why I modded Galaxy gen to make richer galaxies. Makes random systems more worthwhile and you get the occasional amazing system with a bunch of strategics or something that might be with fighting for.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Serephina posted:

"find the bug/exploit" is a pretty fun game imo.

Like how when AI captures a system it doesn't bother waiting for stations to repair before moving their fleets away. And if they took significant armor/hull damage in the fight they'll try to repair at the nearest non-disabled starport+ even if simply waiting 30 days for the station to reactivate would be faster and also keep the station from being recaptured and also keep their fleets close to the frontlines.

...So if you positioned a fleet ahead of time in a neighboring system, a single corvette can sneak in and interrupt the 30-day countdown since there's an opposing fleet in the system. But the AI's fleets are still on the mission to go back and repair so they just leave the system, and your station flips back to your control.

It's dumb and cheesy but especially with hit-and-run doctrine and a trickster admiral you can lose every fight and still grind down a superior enemy. Also helps if your ablative brawler fleet is based in the next system so emergency FTL only takes a month and they don't have to backtrack across your entire empire.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You know the MIA woes?

quote:

That's correct. For 3.1, we did changes to when bypasses were allowed to be used by the pathfinder. This fixed a few bugs and uncovered (rather than caused) some existing ones.

In many cases related to MIA, we checked the distance of the path to estimate how long a fleet should go MIA for. This breaks when they start using bypasses as they have massive distances, but doesn't actually take that long to travel through.

Most (all?) issues of this type should be addressed for 3.2.
Pre-3.0 MIA and reinforcement times for bypasses were broken, but using bypasses was also broken. They didn't know about the first problem :v:

Just lol if you've never done something similar though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

silentsnack posted:

"find the bug/exploit" is a pretty fun game imo.

Like how when AI captures a system it doesn't bother waiting for stations to repair before moving their fleets away. And if they took significant armor/hull damage in the fight they'll try to repair at the nearest non-disabled starport+ even if simply waiting 30 days for the station to reactivate would be faster and also keep the station from being recaptured and also keep their fleets close to the frontlines.

...So if you positioned a fleet ahead of time in a neighboring system, a single corvette can sneak in and interrupt the 30-day countdown since there's an opposing fleet in the system. But the AI's fleets are still on the mission to go back and repair so they just leave the system, and your station flips back to your control.

It's dumb and cheesy but especially with hit-and-run doctrine and a trickster admiral you can lose every fight and still grind down a superior enemy. Also helps if your ablative brawler fleet is based in the next system so emergency FTL only takes a month and they don't have to backtrack across your entire empire.
You should post this up as a bug

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

You know the MIA woes?

Pre-3.0 MIA and reinforcement times for bypasses were broken, but using bypasses was also broken. They didn't know about the first problem :v:

Just lol if you've never done something similar though

This is like coding archeology.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

This is like coding archeology.
I love bughunt deep dives. This is one of my favourites (not stellaris related):
https://mobile.twitter.com/_taylorswope/status/1205252714680045568

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

I love bughunt deep dives. This is one of my favourites (not stellaris related):
This reminds me of the time I had to submit a 129 step jira ticket to development about a nasty but really edge case bug that a customer randomly found in my company's software.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Not sure if this is a bug or something, but last night I fought this galaxy spanning war against a devouring swarm and after like three hours whittled them down to one planet. Problem is, the planet is inhabited by the swarm (like, only their pops are there and whatnot), but it says it's occupied by someone else. Normally, I'd just declare war but the "someone else" happens to be my empire's fallen empire scion and I'm a fanatic pacifist inward perfection so uhh not quite sure where to go from here; I guess I'll just take every starbase and whatnot and leave the swarm to their last little stronghold?

Also, goddamn the computer is useless in these wars. I sent in over 500k of fleet power in multiple directions and two different federations can't even handle like one of the swarm's 30k fleets. It's 2370 guys get your poo poo together !

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/_taylorswope/status/1205252973611237376?s=20

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Not sure if this is a bug or something, but last night I fought this galaxy spanning war against a devouring swarm and after like three hours whittled them down to one planet. Problem is, the planet is inhabited by the swarm (like, only their pops are there and whatnot), but it says it's occupied by someone else. Normally, I'd just declare war but the "someone else" happens to be my empire's fallen empire scion and I'm a fanatic pacifist inward perfection so uhh not quite sure where to go from here; I guess I'll just take every starbase and whatnot and leave the swarm to their last little stronghold?

Also, goddamn the computer is useless in these wars. I sent in over 500k of fleet power in multiple directions and two different federations can't even handle like one of the swarm's 30k fleets. It's 2370 guys get your poo poo together !

Is your Scion your ally in the war against the Devouring Swarm, or did they declare war against the swam independently and then occupied that one planet only?

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

Slashrat posted:

Is your Scion your ally in the war against the Devouring Swarm, or did they declare war against the swam independently and then occupied that one planet only?

So the galaxy did a crisis declaration against the swarm after my scion had declared war to humiliate the swarm, and I am a participant in both wars. I believe the scion occupied the planet as a result of the humiliation effort, but the scion also no longer has any fleets or armies left, but can't really be destroyed because their bastions are too strong. Maybe it will let me take the planet if the humiliate war ends? I don't know. It's very strange.

Edit: Figured it out - the FE was occupying the planet, but for some reason wasn't purging pops. Not sure why. Once they status quo'd I was able to take it over.

Also, trying the crisis on x10 for the first time. What a slog lol

Mr. Kurtz fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If you conquer a devouring swarm hivemind completely can you give the hivemind back it's home planet and have it be a "new" (new non-devouring swarm) hivemind that is your vassal? I'm trying hard not to just genocide the rock monsters.