Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Ardennes posted:

The US specifically the issue because our move from coal to natural gas has at least been heavily supplied through domestic fracking and has claimed this as carbon reduction as a large of the Paris accords (since NG does give off less Co2 than coal).

In reality, US fracking is specifically notorious for methane admissions, enough that the expansion of fracking in the mid-2010s under Obama lines up on a yearly basis with the global rise of methane emissions. This is obviously a massive issue because of how much of an effect methane has on climate change (up to 40-80x that of CO2). It is also why developing countries like India (China to a lesser extent because they are moving away from coal fairly quickly) are loath to give up their access to affordable electricity while the US keeps on spewing methane into the atmosphere. It is also why we are absolutely doomed if the US fracking industry just keeps on doing its thing.

Is that methane accounted for anywhere? I noticed Biden wanted to cap the old gas wells, so if it got/gets passed, it'd presumably be in the US emissions reduction column (also convenient because it doubles as a jobs program/stimulus). If the methane emissions weren't accounted for beforehand, that's more emissions reduction you'd get "for free". But I don't really know.

Ardennes posted:

(China is making a huge push toward nuclear power, while India knows they are going to at least need coal for another few decades because they simply don't have the capital yet for a comparable push. That said, India has made a huge push in solar/wind.)

Yeah, the capital investment is a big issue with nuclear. Another is that you need a functioning nuclear engineering community to run them, and it takes a while to bootstrap (education/training/organization building). Maybe the latter isn't an issue for India, but it's going to be a problem most places.

China's projecting 100-150 nuclear plants -- did they say how much of their grid demand it would cover?

Anyway, it seems like a (predictable) dick move to put the onus of fossil phase-out on the less developed/capital-poor parts of the world first instead of taking it out of fossils as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you get caught up in the details about what poor countries should do and which rich countries should pay and what's the most perfectly fair compromise according to the graph then you're just wasting time in the neoliberal weeds of meaninglessness while ignoring the simple fact that they did nothing, again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mawarannahr posted:

if the earth looks like that when it gets better maybe it’s all for the best

Italy gone though

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/egypt-storm-floods-scorpions-b1957153.html

well this isn't an outcome i foresaw but it's an interesting intersection of flooding + plague of insects.

Scorpions aren't insects, 5 Pinocchios

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Nov 15, 2021

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you get caught up in the details about what poor countries should do and which rich countries should pay and what's the most perfectly fair compromise according to the graph then you're just wasting time in the neoliberal weeds of meaninglessness while ignoring the simple fact that they did nothing, again.

You're not wrong, but if they'd been serious about it, they'd start with the assumption that if your plan involves pushing billions of people who are already relatively poor to the brink of starvation, it's not going to work. So in effect I'm just pointing out that they did nothing because they weren't serious about doing anything going into it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

yeah we pushed a billion people to the brink starvation is exactly the sort of stupid poo poo a neoliberal would say when they want to talk about nonsense

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

So you think we should phase out coal, but not oil and gas? I dunno who you think you're debating here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

they did nothing, again.

not true they had very nice parties and jerked each other off (metaphorically, i assume)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Sep 7, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rime posted:

Also the Coquihalla Highway is Gone

holy poo poo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Sitting here arms deep in a 35Kv converter cabinet giggling hysterically RN.

:yeshaha:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my little brother drives long haul through there

well, not for the next month he says, lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Government Sowing (a pipeline): Hahaha, yessss

Government reaping (externalized costs coming back as natural disasters) : Oh poo poo, WTF!??

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So has this happened enough that we can start splitting the seasons up into fire season and mudslide season or do we need more

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Milo and POTUS posted:

So has this happened enough that we can start splitting the seasons up into fire season and mudslide season or do we need more

It's been this was in California for a while but it rules that BC now has the same seasons

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

did greta get her hands on some nukes or something lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Punished "Venom" Thunberg

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://mobile.twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1460294218069340160

Three towns That we know of are currently underwater LOL.

Knew it was only a matter of time before what happened in Germany came here.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
so what are the thread's thoughts on greta?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
she’s not a very good poster

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rah! posted:

did greta get her hands on some nukes or something lol

https://twitter.com/PatriotRenegade/status/1369144848427618304

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

i came here to post about scorpions

"three killed, hundreds injured" gently caress, that's a lot of loving scorpions

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Neon Noodle posted:

i agree, young miss thunberg seems to have been thrust into the limelight before learning how to properly post

yeah, it happens, but seeing it happen again doesn't make it any easier

also, :rip: canada

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

so what are the thread's thoughts on greta?

She's a kid who was given an unreasonably outsized platform and therefore has all the scrutiny of the world on her, she has my pity and I prefer not to think about her. It annoys me when people on the left snipe at her for her underbaked politics, because, again, she is a child who should never have been put in her position

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
She's not a child.

You also can't have it both ways - if someone is not an adult and you correctly recognize that they are nonetheless capable of forming a platform, argument, and solution, then they should in this same way be just as capable of receiving criticism. Else she becomes the vacillating child: a child when criticized, an adult when speaking.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

HOW DARE U!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Been thinking Kazinski wasn't wrong. You can try escape it by moving to the wilderness and living off the land. But eventually the government's running things are going to gently caress things up so bad your offgrid home becomes unlivable.

I've not read his manifesto but maybe theres something in there on how to deal with that contradiction.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Rime posted:

My stark and grim prognostications on how civilization is going to play out over the next few decades were definitely strongly influenced by encountering both No Blade of Grass and Threads fairly young. I wonder why British apocalypse fiction is decidedly less utopian in outcome than American. :thunk:

As I love Threads, I guess I'll have to read this other book. After I've finished The Dawn of Everything, which I do recommend this thread.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Marenghi posted:

Been thinking Kazinski wasn't wrong. You can try escape it by moving to the wilderness and living off the land. But eventually the government's running things are going to gently caress things up so bad your offgrid home becomes unlivable.

I've not read his manifesto but maybe theres something in there on how to deal with that contradiction.

he's also turbo-racist as hell, fyi

there are better people to read and talk about imo

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

i've found as i get older that a lot of things that i thought were helping "the cause" or whatever wasn't actually helping fuckall

it's come with a certain degree of learning that what i thought was "fighting the man" was how "the man" taught me how to fight, which is exceedingly ineffective, exhausting, and time consuming

specifically with the protests last year that didn't really loving accomplish anything, i had a lot of friends saying "come out to protest, you'll like it" but they were people who would get bailed out if they got locked up--while i'd literally still be in a prison cell somewhere with those rear end in a top hat "friends" forgetting about me.

those same friends "didn't" lift a loving finger to help with the jessica scarane campaign, they just ran around in the streets like jackasses and didn't get anything done.

i was talking to my dad the other day wishing him a happy 73rd, and he said "if you hear people my age talking about the good ol' days, well they can gently caress off, haha. there were no good ol' days. stuff has always been weird, there's always been something weird going on." we then talked a little bit about how a lot of people were burned out at the end of the 60's and early 70's, and that instead of trying to fight it alone it's better to find people who are trying to accomplish the same goal because we simply can't do it alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PsCJD10_x8

pat the bunny posted:

...and singing those stupid protest songs..
he says music can change the world,
but with lyrics like that

i'm so glad he's wrong

Perry Mason Jar posted:

She's not a child.

You also can't have it both ways - if someone is not an adult and you correctly recognize that they are nonetheless capable of forming a platform, argument, and solution, then they should in this same way be just as capable of receiving criticism. Else she becomes the vacillating child: a child when criticized, an adult when speaking.

...what?

she's 18, which i still consider to effectively be a child (at my age :corsair:) 32

your post just doesn't make sense to me for whatever reason. i'm trying to make it make sense, but the point seems to be convoluted.

Marenghi posted:

the unabomber was absolutely wrong. the lone wolf tactic of violence to accomplish goals falls into the "fighting how The Man wants you to" thing from the beginning of the post. going crazy and running out into the woods to mail bombs is the most ineffective revolutionary strategy i can probably think of. i had written the beginning of my post before reading yours.

humanity, if we are to survive and save what's left of the planet, will require us to actually work together. the idea of a single hero saving the entire world by himself is a capitalist dream that everyone should get the gently caress out of their head before it's....well, maybe it's already too late. maybe not.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If Kaczynski understood even a fraction of class analysis/class war he wouldn't have been such a waste of life. That was the big missing puzzle piece. Or, sanity. One of those two.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

most definitely mudslide season

https://twitter.com/DailyHiveVan/status/1460310048714989568

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Alobar posted:

she's 18, which i still consider to effectively be a child (at my age :corsair:) 32

your post just doesn't make sense to me for whatever reason. i'm trying to make it make sense, but the point seems to be convoluted.

What don't you understand? Either you are on equal footing as an adult and we should respect your opinion or you aren't and we can dispense with it. If the former then why would you be beyond reproach? Should I take seriously arguments which I cannot criticize?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
ted's cia so of course he's racist and anti-communist

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If Kaczynski understood even a fraction of class analysis/class war he wouldn't have been such a waste of life. That was the big missing puzzle piece. Or, sanity. One of those two.

Blame the CIA, they scrambled his brains up good

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Buddy I'm a leftist, I'm always already blaming the CIA.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
well you know what they say, you can't eat your cake and have it too

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Perry Mason Jar posted:

She's not a child.

She was literally a minor most of the time she's been in the limelight

Also, put yourself in her shoes. Did you have Good Politics as a teenager? I know I didn't, and I'd hate to think of the consequences if I had to have thr worlds attention on me in that state

Teenagers have a lot to learn, but public icons aren't given the leniency to learn or grow, they are held to an inhuman standard

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What don't you understand? Either you are on equal footing as an adult and we should respect your opinion or you aren't and we can dispense with it. If the former then why would you be beyond reproach? Should I take seriously arguments which I cannot criticize?

i still don't get it.

you can totally criticize things children say, but it's probably good to take into consideration they might not have a completely firm grasp on what they're talking about. especially when it's an 18 year old who is having their speeches criticized by a global audience.

i think the very point of miss thunberg's popularity is "adults ain't doing poo poo," so if there's anyone who should be criticized in this discussion it's the people in actual power who can actually change things. like, ya know, the people that she's talking about.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Kaczynski isn't an environmentalist FYI. He's more of an extreme libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mr. Lobe posted:

She was literally a minor most of the time she's been in the limelight

Also, put yourself in her shoes. Did you have Good Politics as a teenager? I know I didn't, and I'd hate to think of the consequences if I had to have thr worlds attention on me in that state

Teenagers have a lot to learn, but public icons aren't given the leniency to learn or grow, they are held to an inhuman standard

If you are "learning and growing" you should be quiet until you've finished. If you aren't quiet it's fair to assume that you're sufficiently confident in your Good Politics, enough that you can make a robust defense of it. She's not a victim!! No one ordered or forced her to have the world's attention on her or anything like that. And if someone did well we can only assume that she'd cry for help, no?

Alobar posted:

i still don't get it.

you can totally criticize things children say, but it's probably good to take into consideration they might not have a completely firm grasp on what they're talking about. especially when it's an 18 year old who is having their speeches criticized by a global audience.

i think the very point of miss thunberg's popularity is "adults ain't doing poo poo," so if there's anyone who should be criticized in this discussion it's the people in actual power who can actually change things. like, ya know, the people that she's talking about.

The people that she's talking about are her handlers and sponsors, first of all.

If she doesn't have a firm grasp on what she's talking about then it's entirely correct to dismiss what she's saying. If you are saying we should not dismiss what she's saying because it's incomplete wouldn't we therefore be doing her a favor by way of critique - such that she can sharpen and refine her grasp? This is largely how learning occurs. Why is it odious in this instance?