Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vampire Panties posted:

Thank you, this is a really fascinating breakdown of Dune 1984. hand-drawn shields!!!!!!!!

Not just that, they were "assembled" bit by bit in an absolutely insane process.

And then they left a stuntman's face in :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Rewatching DUNC for the third time and these are my complaints:
-Momoa's cable-assisted leaps
-Jamis is the only Fremen able to do an Asian squat

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

golden bells posted:

Rewatching DUNC for the third time and these are my complaints:
-Momoa's cable-assisted leaps
-Jamis is the only Fremen able to do an Asian squat
Isn't it suspensor-assisted? Though I'm not sure why Duncan Idaho would be wearing suspensors when planning to go into the desert, so :iiam:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yes it's supposed to be his suspensor belt

he taps it on before he jumps

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you wonder how he poops and pees, and other science facts
You'll be pleased to hear that we do know, it's processed in the thigh pads

ghola roll call
duncan
miles teg
hayyyyyyyyt

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Earwicker posted:

that is a cool video

the Lynch sequence of the Atreides migration has been one of my favorite things since i was a kid.

the new version is kind of cool with the ships coming out of the water but definitely nowhere near as good

though imo much of the strength of the Lynch version comes from the Brian Eno piece that begins when they arrive. the rest of that movie is scored by Toto and it's great, but Eno's "Prophecy Theme" is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4onBqilHvc

poo poo holds up pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4Qv5Fa_Do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the music was the only part of the 1984 dune that was good

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That's because it was basically all of the band TOTO (only one missing was the lead singer) that was working as session musicians for it, along with Brian Eno.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Sagebrush posted:

We aren’t in the terrible opinions thread here buddy

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Thanks for all your amazing suggestions, I couldn't actually do all the things I wanted to, but, did make some liquid spice vials (Pumpkin spice syrup) to enhance my gingerbread Maker, as well as some water of life. (A clarified milk punch of star anise, cinnamon, cloves and a bunch of other stuff, that I somewhat ruined the clarification of by putting blue food colouring in, lol).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Kull Wahad! Klams has baked a big one.

Well done, that all looks and sounds fantastic. :v:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's because it was basically all of the band TOTO (only one missing was the lead singer) that was working as session musicians for it, along with Brian Eno.

they were more than just session musicians, they composed the whole score.

the whole thing is toto is except for one piece, the prophecy theme which is by eno, but that's the best piece in the movie imo

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
That's cause Brian Eno fuckin' rules.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Flakey posted:

That's cause Brian Eno fuckin' rules.

:hmmyes:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

!Klams posted:

Thanks for all your amazing suggestions, I couldn't actually do all the things I wanted to, but, did make some liquid spice vials (Pumpkin spice syrup) to enhance my gingerbread Maker, as well as some water of life. (A clarified milk punch of star anise, cinnamon, cloves and a bunch of other stuff, that I somewhat ruined the clarification of by putting blue food colouring in, lol).

rules!

so does Brian Eno.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
dang, imagine being Australian right now.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
ol sourpuss brian eno can go kick rocks

the toto intro theme rules, i thought they were going into it in dunc at one point and got excited for reasons i couldnt really explain to anyone present

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah there's definitely a part in the latter half where they just hint at that motif. i think it's neato.

like this scene from stranger things where just as the critter starts running out of the room, they juuuust hint at the theme from gremlins and i'm sure it's intentional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNmK2Nd76jA&t=140s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSbq0KE6fVA

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ulf posted:

dang, imagine being Australian right now.

shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dune 2021 had the first Hans Zimmer soundtrack I can recall that sounded in any way distinct from all other Hans Zimmer soundtracks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
*Sardaukar throat singing voice*

MEMES ARE MESSAGES FROM THE BALLS

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Earwicker posted:

they were more than just session musicians, they composed the whole score.

the whole thing is toto is except for one piece, the prophecy theme which is by eno, but that's the best piece in the movie imo
Right, but what I mean is, they they weren't hired as TOTO.

The same people who did the score for the 1984 movie also worked as session musicians for a whole bunch of artists - Michael Jackson, Chicago, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Quincy Jones, Eric Clapton, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Yes, Mr. Mister, and a whole bunch more.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
presented without comment

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
HBO miniseries of all the Duncan gholas when

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Watched DUNC again last night

It was good

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

More like Duncan Pedoho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Duncan Shedaho’s brain physically explodes from stress after attempting to balance her insane horniness for women with her genetically ingrown homophobia

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

Duncan Shedaho’s brain physically explodes from stress after attempting to balance her insane horniness for women with her genetically ingrown homophobia
Nah, she's just a really cunning linguist.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Dune 2021 had the first Hans Zimmer soundtrack I can recall that sounded in any way distinct from all other Hans Zimmer soundtracks.

His Crysis 2 theme was really good, I thought.

I don't know why it was dropped for the sequel. Like the plot.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Duncanette

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The galaxy runs on duncan

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

priznat posted:

Some interesting DUNC content from these FX guys, comparing Lynch Dune with Villeneuve’s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHPkdMGI6D4

there might be some interesting stuff in that video but it's unwatchable because of the very youtubey people in it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really like that channel, it's a fascinating insight into fx and how they get made. Face your fear of the youtubers, let it pass, etc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other, but I'm baffled by how many people single out the score for praise. It's just kind of there.

Edit: VVV I don't know what to tell you. I listened to the whole thing on YouTube at work to make sure I wasn't missing something, and yeah, it's 100% adequate background music.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 15, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other, but I'm baffled by how many people single out the score for praise. It's just kind of there.

dude what

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

The galaxy runs on duncan

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vampire Panties posted:

Thoughts
- are fremen bad rear end because they're just way loving older than everyone else? if spice triples your lifespan, there could be fremen who would've been fighting the Harkonnens the entirety of their 80 years of occupation

Fremen are badass because Arrakis is such an incredibly inhospitable environment that the only people who survive are badasses and they go on to breed with other badasses so the whole thing is just one big selection process for the ultimate badasses.

This is also why the Sardaukar are such badasses, they're imprisoned on an ultracompetitive hellworld so hostile that everyone who isn't a badass dies. That's why the Emperor really doesn't want anyone looking too deeply into Salusa Secundus: it they found this out they could find some other place to produce their own private army of badasses.

And Arrakis is even worse a place to try to live than Salusa Secundus, which is why the Fremen can walk all over Sardaukar.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i remember once upon a time someone posted a link to an article that spoke at length about Frank Herbert's obsession with the "Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." bullshit. can't remember where i saw it though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah it was some mediaevalist or something. Was fairly convincing. As with many of Frank's Big Ideas of doesn't stand up to a lot of scrutiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

i remember once upon a time someone posted a link to an article that spoke at length about Frank Herbert's obsession with the "Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." bullshit. can't remember where i saw it though.
It's a concept so ubiquitous, I'm pretty sure it's written about in Campbells The Hero with A Thousand Faces.