Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

I was fat until I was 14 and then I stopped eating like garbage and then I wasn’t fat anymore

I was fat when I was 14, then I grew like 6 inches in a few months and was skinny again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I suggest we deal with the crisis in the definitive American way: pretending it doesn't exist.

This doesn't have to mean that we deny there are many obese Americans. For example, we could acknowledge them but just say it's not a crisis. Or that it's actually good. It's completely our choice!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I was fat when I was 14, then I grew like 6 inches in a few months and was skinny again

One weird trick to lose weight: doctors hate it!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

You Are A Elf posted:

One weird trick to lose weight: doctors hate it!

I did also join the swimming team and do 3 hours of practice a day in that time frame

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
genetic engineering cured the Obesity Crisis™ 35 years ago. long before i was even born

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
UBI based on 1/BMI

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Still gonna say go outside and fight a tree.

Portion control is a big part. Learning to stop when you're full takes practice. It's not a 1 day deal. Hydration is key too. If you feel hungry, stop and think about why.

Maybe you're tired and stressed. Maybe you're board. Maybe you're just thirsty. There's so many answers and I don't have them all

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

nebby posted:

UBI based on 1/BMI

first off, shut up nebby. Second according to Bmi I am dangerously overweight. But everyone I know keeps telling me how skinny I look.
BMI is bullshit

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

first off, shut up nebby. Second according to Bmi I am dangerously overweight. But everyone I know keeps telling me how skinny I look.
BMI is bullshit
sorry no fatbux for u

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

nebby posted:

sorry no fatbux for u

shut up nebby.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Less Pokémon more gym

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
(Pokémon gym = no)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

nebby posted:

Less Pokémon more gym

now you are the new Putty. everytime I see you post I am going to tell you to shut up.

Shut up nebby

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Second according to Bmi I am dangerously overweight. But everyone I know keeps telling me how skinny I look.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

now you are the new Putty. everytime I see you post I am going to tell you to shut up.

Shut up nebby
still fatter than I’ve been since my reg date

go for a run and stop eating

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

6'2" 208lbs

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

nebby posted:

still fatter than I’ve been since my reg date

go for a run and stop eating

shut up nebby

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

quote:

Second according to Bmi I am dangerously overweight. But everyone I know keeps telling me how skinny I look.
Hm

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Well who is telling you you're "dangerously overweight" then???

Calculator straight from the CDC puts you in the low end of the "overweight" category just above "healthy". Not the obese one or anything. I mean it might still be bullshit to some degree but it ain't indicating "dangerously" overweight or anything. Maybe your doctor is just an rear end in a top hat???

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Meme Poker Party posted:

Calculator straight from the CDC puts you in the low end of the "overweight" category just above "healthy". Not the obese one or anything. I mean it might still be bullshit to some degree but it ain't indicating "dangerously" overweight or anything. Maybe your doctor is just an rear end in a top hat???
Congrats to pumpy on being fatbux recipient no need for being triggered by my idea, see

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

shut up nebby

Meme Poker Party posted:

obese was the word I was looking for. Seems they have changed it since the last time i looked it up

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gnossiennes posted:

have you read slime mold time mold cuz some of the points you've made are kinda similar? they focus more on the lithium theory https://slimemoldtimemold.com/

i don't like some of the ssc-esque language they use and they're kinda vague, but it has some points imo

also re: pollution contaminants: this is an interesting map, especially looking at the gulf coast areas. https://projects.propublica.org/toxmap/

they go hard on lithium bein it but i dont buy it, dose response curve doesnt work out. i do think that its pollutants causing endocrine fuckery like they do - perhaps its other light metals or organometallic dealios

theyre yudjowsky cultists unfortunately

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 15, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I would do nothing to our diet and instead turn America into a nation of 350 million marathon runners.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Adele: I was fat as hell, depressed and having anxiety attacks that made me think I was dying. I lost 100lbs by eating right and exercising for my mental health.

Fat people: u loving traitor bicth

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Get thin to own the libs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the republicans are the most pollution loving peeps on the planet, w exception of other right wing murdoch watchin anglos and gulf arabs

not gonna happen. also no coincidence those and some pacific islanders on tiny islands riven by pollution are the fattest peeps on earth

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Aardvark! posted:

I weigh nine million pounds and I'm going to sit on this thread, crushing Wizard Master into a thin smear of paste

I'm proud to be an American and at least know I'm fat!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Spread a rumor that a serial killer has broken into Coke and Pepsi factories and managed to put poison in several batches, dozens have died but Coke and Pepsi are colluding with the government to cover it up and refuse to recall the drinks.

Plant some more stories every now and then that people keep dying from poisoned soft drinks and the problem will be solved soon enough.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this actually happened w a bottler fuckup in belgian schools contaminating cans w a small amount of h2s in 1999, altho just sickness not fatalities

still fat

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Bring back fat shaming

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

runnypoops posted:

Bring back fat shaming

Fat shaming is what got me to lose 90lbs. Though now I have really bad body dysmorphia, so take some lose some.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Fat tax. Every year people have to weight in at the local DMV and have to pay if they're found to be obese.

Or

runnypoops posted:

Bring back fat shaming

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
japan implemented both of those in the late 00's (really fat shaming long before and the metabo law, which includes collective fat shaming, in 2008) and they're still getting fatter. they aren't very fat compared to anyone else industrialized of course, but they're still fat compared to indigenous peeps - and gettin fatter

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

bob dobbs is dead posted:

japan implemented both of those in the late 00's (really fat shaming long before and the metabo law, which includes collective fat shaming, in 2008) and they're still getting fatter. they aren't very fat compared to anyone else industrialized of course, but they're still fat compared to indigenous peeps - and gettin fatter

I just looked it up and japan's adult obesity rate (defined as >25 BMI, not 30) went from 29% in men and 24% in women in 2000 to 32% in men and 22% in women in 2018. seems pretty flat.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
w/ squid games

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

these island drinks Im sippin sure aint helpin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Stink Billyums posted:

I just looked it up and japan's adult obesity rate (defined as >25 BMI, not 30) went from 29% in men and 24% in women in 2000 to 32% in men and 22% in women in 2018. seems pretty flat.

there was a great big bolus of increase '95 to '00 but mostly flat yes. remarkably correlated with how there's no mining in japan cuz there's nothing much to mine

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

right, now explain every single other polity in the entire world gettin fatter. uk's plenty fat without hfcs

japan uses as much plastics as the usa and the obesity problem is much weaker there but growing. just like they have almost no mining there but the industry's growing. it has to be something thats true of nauru, cyprus and only the northern part of appalachia (and some parts of heilongjiang and uttarkhand) but not true of nearly all of japan, boulder, colorado, the southern basin watershed of appalachia, goa or guangdong

You keep insisting this throughout the thread but the premise is flawed. P much anyone without identifiable medical conditions will gain weight when eating more calories and moving less, that doesn't mean that every country will accomplish this in the same manner. In reality there are going to be differences from place to place because the local culture is going to be different, there are going to be different causes from person to person because their lifestyles are different. Looking for one specific root cause is a fool's errand because there are as many explanations for how someone could overconsume calories and under-engage in physical activities as there are people.

I've tipped into the higher ends of overweight and a even a bit obese a couple times in my life and I can with fairly good confidence say there were largely environmental conditions that made it easier for me to gain or lose weight each cycle I've had. When I've been "naturally" fat is when I didn't really have to move much and was eating not very well. A prime example being a first job after college where I went from walking 3ish miles everyday with a backpack on to get to/from class, exercised 2-3 times a week with friends at a climbing gym, and mostly ate a cheap diet of bulk rice/beans/protein to driving to and from work, where I saw on a computer all day at work and at home, and had a diet of mostly takeout for dinners, obviously I got fat. Then I switched to a more field work oriented job, started living with my then girlfriend and got back into cooking, and made an effort to go on enough walks to at least hit 10k steps a day, and bam the weight came off again. Another big one for me is beer, when I'm not in a good mental state I drink more and even a "couple" beers can quickly add up to an extra meals worth of calories a day and you betcha I gain weight when I do that. But that's just me, everyone is gonna have their own circumstances that make it easier to gain or lose weight, when you look at specific regions and cultures there's undoubtedly a few stronger culprits you can point to but nothing is gonna be a universal cause you can just change and fix the problem for everyone.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

You keep insisting this throughout the thread but the premise is flawed. P much anyone without identifiable medical conditions will gain weight when eating more calories and moving less, that doesn't mean that every country will accomplish this in the same manner. In reality there are going to be differences from place to place because the local culture is going to be different, there are going to be different causes from person to person because their lifestyles are different. Looking for one specific root cause is a fool's errand because there are as many explanations for how someone could overconsume calories and under-engage in physical activities as there are people.

I've tipped into the higher ends of overweight and a even a bit obese a couple times in my life and I can with fairly good confidence say there were largely environmental conditions that made it easier for me to gain or lose weight each cycle I've had. When I've been "naturally" fat is when I didn't really have to move much and was eating not very well. A prime example being a first job after college where I went from walking 3ish miles everyday with a backpack on to get to/from class, exercised 2-3 times a week with friends at a climbing gym, and mostly ate a cheap diet of bulk rice/beans/protein to driving to and from work, where I saw on a computer all day at work and at home, and had a diet of mostly takeout for dinners, obviously I got fat. Then I switched to a more field work oriented job, started living with my then girlfriend and got back into cooking, and made an effort to go on enough walks to at least hit 10k steps a day, and bam the weight came off again. Another big one for me is beer, when I'm not in a good mental state I drink more and even a "couple" beers can quickly add up to an extra meals worth of calories a day and you betcha I gain weight when I do that. But that's just me, everyone is gonna have their own circumstances that make it easier to gain or lose weight, when you look at specific regions and cultures there's undoubtedly a few stronger culprits you can point to but nothing is gonna be a universal cause you can just change and fix the problem for everyone.

if it was some huge complex of causes, it wouldn't have such a crisp beginning in the 70's, would it?

generally things that affect multiple billions of people do not have individualized causes. it cannot be 2 billion people separately making idiosyncratic decisions that cause them to lose their virtue and stop taking care of themselves and get fat or whatever. idiosyncrasies do not cause 2 billion people to simultaneously do anything.

and there are gigantic differences between and within polities, 15% overweight in japan to 97% in nauru. if there aren't crisp causes and it's all a melange of muddled multifactorial things, why is it so crisply different? moreover, why's it so crisply different in manipulable ways, where japanese peeps who move to america regularly and reliably get fatter and americans peeps who move to japan regularly and reliably get thinner?

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

and it was not industrialization in general, it was something that happened or had its ultimate consequences very specifically in the 70s

Widespread use of plastics

Tons of chemicals in plastics are known endocrine mimics

c.f. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/opinion/sunday/endocrine-disruptors-sperm.html