Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it was some mediaevalist or something. Was fairly convincing. As with many of Frank's Big Ideas of doesn't stand up to a lot of scrutiny

that quote seems to be written by this goober: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7033825.G_Michael_Hopf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

uber_stoat posted:

i remember once upon a time someone posted a link to an article that spoke at length about Frank Herbert's obsession with the "Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." bullshit. can't remember where i saw it though.
The Fremen Mirage?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah it's that. I think it is a bit of an unfair essay, frank's ideas are more idosyncratic than the trope. Not to say they add up in the end unless you are a big league libertarian

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

uber_stoat posted:

i remember once upon a time someone posted a link to an article that spoke at length about Frank Herbert's obsession with the "Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." bullshit. can't remember where i saw it though.

This one?
https://acoup.blog/2020/01/17/collections-the-fremen-mirage-part-i-war-at-the-dawn-of-civilization/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The idea of hard times -> good people -> good times -> weak people -> hard times is a lot older than Campbell, although at a certain level it is just the great observation of "if things are bad, they may well get good; if things are good, they may well get bad," over long time frames.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I figure it's a deduction from mongol hordes/barbarians and the Roman Empire.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Not to say the trope isn't total bullshit. But to me it doesn't hold water when applied to the fremen because a. the fremen actually are highly industrialized and specialized, as the novel says straight up and b. I think the power of the fremen in frank's eyes is their ecological consciousness. This is the reason they are superior to the sardaukar, who actually are the more straightforward application of the trope. It is the separation from this via the terraforming project that weakens them more than it is the times being good

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nessus posted:

The idea of hard times -> good people -> good times -> weak people -> hard times is a lot older than Campbell, although at a certain level it is just the great observation of "if things are bad, they may well get good; if things are good, they may well get bad," over long time frames.
Oh, of course it's so much older than that - probably, it's so old you likely won't ever find the original source of it.
My point was more that it's such a popular part of the way stories are structured, that it warranted a mention in a book that's basically dedicated to pointing out the things that've been done the most.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

it's a poo poo trope

pampered knights and overly well fed 1st worlders make for better troops than peasants and 3rd worlders who have lived much harder lives

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Earwicker posted:

i am bad at math personally but that example seemed like a rather easy math problem?

the main thing missing about mentats was the cool "it is by will alone i set my mind in motion" bit from the lynch version

yeah, but try doing it without a calculator is the point

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a linear curve for Frank, the harder the planet the harder the people. The dosadi experiment lays it out even more clearly. I don't think the ecological aspect bears on that part at all.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Also well fed and equipped soldiers fight better, sure, but also steppe folk have invaded stable cultures successfully so it's absolutely possible. I'm conclusion Dune is a land of contrasts

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Phanatic posted:

And Arrakis is even worse a place to try to live than Salusa Secundus, which is why the Fremen can walk all over Sardaukar.

mostly it's because the sardaukar veterans have been corrupted by luxury. sleeping in beds and not on the floor? hosed up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the issue with the Sardaukar is that they're so feared, it's been centuries since they actually put their skills to the test against an enemy who can give them a run for their money. Elite training, but little ability to adapt.

The Fremen are poor in many ways, but don't seem to actually lack for food, just water. My question is where they're growing all that coffee. Don't tell me they pay through the nose for imports!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think part of the problem is we're told the fremen have agriculture, industry, high degree of societal complexity and specialization, etc. but not really shown it well enough to any extent. So people end up basically just not believing the exposition and ignoring it

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Isn’t coffee a diarretic? That’s like the worst thing you could consume if your trying to to avoid usage of water.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They drink their piss and poo poo so it's not a big deal

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think part of the problem is we're told the fremen have agriculture, industry, high degree of societal complexity and specialization, etc. but not really shown it well enough to any extent. So people end up basically just not believing the exposition and ignoring it
I figure the Fremen always grew plants in sietch, and probably bought food from other people using, you know, spice money. They weren't part of the Harkonnen's economic system, but if a handful of spice can buy you a nondescript planet or a resort seat on the Guild's secret planet, you can absolutely tell the smugglers, "Hey, next time bring us a few tons of rice and we'll give you an extra couple grams for your trouble."

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
What food do the Fremen even eat? Are they growing things inside the sietches? I worry about the desert mice running around, but even if the Fremen had been eating them, it might've become an issue after their messiah named himself after them?

I mean I know we all enjoy some jerky and spice, but what actual nutrients are there to be gained on Arrakis rather than recycled?

Is it always just what's left over from the dead?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Halloween Jack posted:

The Fremen are poor in many ways, but don't seem to actually lack for food, just water. My question is where they're growing all that coffee. Don't tell me they pay through the nose for imports!

In the real world, people have used all kinds of common, wild-growing plant products like dandelion roots and chicory as coffee substitutes, and besides, I always assumed the important part of spice coffee was the spice part and not the coffee. Arrakis is arid but not completely without vegetation, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of common weed you could grind up and brew into some kind of vaguely dark, bitter hot drink. And then, of course, you add the spice.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I think paul describes some food in the fremkit in the book right?

I imagine they mostly have simple rations like a protein bar but in sietch they have meat and veggies and poo poo. I think a wrap with some poultry in it is mentioned

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The weird spit coffee was a cool little idea from denis. I prefer to imagine it's actual coffee, the fremen pay a ransom to the guild to have it imported, and it is the substance second only to melange that ensures their survival and success :o: :coffee:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

looks like that the acoup guy is a cultured gentleman who enjoys the finer things in life, eg. the 2000 series

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

spoice

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Halloween Jack posted:

My question is where they're growing all that coffee. Don't tell me they pay through the nose for imports!

Maybe it's chicory?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If david lynch had ever read dune he would have liked the coffee parts. No matter how nonsensically badass your society is, you still love to see that wonderful black bean juice

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Do we ever get any kind of quantifiable data on spice amounts? Like how much sand do you have to go through to get X grams of the stuff, how much is in the food in absolute terms, What’s the parts per million of the navigator gas?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I imagine they mostly have simple rations like a protein bar but in sietch they have meat and veggies and poo poo. I think a wrap with some poultry in it is mentioned
I like the bit where Paul goes "This is half spice!" and Chani replies that they don't have fancy food you spoiled brat!

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Atreides were building a near Sardukar army in spite of being the most outwardly civilized house living on a really nice planet pre-Arrakis move.. Herbert wasn't just writing "he man strong, girl man weak" poo poo lol, that's a garbage critique by a jerkoff.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think that critique has everything to do with criticizing the trope (fair, it's stupid) and not really much to do with dune in the end. You can say you weren't really convinced that the fremen could have had as complex a society as we are told they did, or you can say it wasn't shown well enough, but you can't really just say that wasn't part of the book

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sean10mm posted:

The Atreides were building a near Sardukar army in spite of being the most outwardly civilized house living on a really nice planet pre-Arrakis move.. Herbert wasn't just writing "he man strong, girl man weak" poo poo lol, that's a garbage critique by a jerkoff.

it's not exactly subtext. paul says to the emperor 'i'm gonna make SS a nice planet full of soft stuff and plants etc lol' and the emperor is all '!my sardaukar!'.

the point of the atreides is they've had rigorous hypertraining and they're nearly as good as the sardaukar, while the fremen are that way naturally just because of arrakis.

also the dosadi experiment is 100% 'this insanely brutal planet breeds ubermenschen and womenen who must be suppressed lest they conquer the galaxy' then they're not suppressed and they conquer the galaxy. (this also happens in dune)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

What's actually interesting about the Fremen is that they're the only faction with a noble motive, to literally make a better world for future generations to live on.

Following Paul is basically the Fremen selling their souls because he offers them a shortcut to the paradise that Kynes would have them build over generations of hard, boring work. "if you choose the quick and easy path... you will become an agent of evil."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sean10mm posted:

What's actually interesting about the Fremen is that they're the only faction with a noble motive, to literally make a better world for future generations to live on.

Following Paul is basically the Fremen selling their souls because he offers them a shortcut to the paradise that Kynes would have them build over generations of hard, boring work. "if you choose the quick and easy path... you will become an agent of evil."

yeah p much

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

YoursTruly posted:

What food do the Fremen even eat? Are they growing things inside the sietches? I worry about the desert mice running around, but even if the Fremen had been eating them, it might've become an issue after their messiah named himself after them?

I mean I know we all enjoy some jerky and spice, but what actual nutrients are there to be gained on Arrakis rather than recycled?

Is it always just what's left over from the dead?

There's a bit in appendix 1 about this- Arrakis' soil can be incredibly fertlie; it's just water that is lacking.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

uber_stoat posted:

presented without comment

i really doubt any of the duncans would ever be gay because he's such a bigot in God Emperor he almost kills moneo because he can't stand the fact that he saw two girls kissing

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

sebmojo posted:

yeah p much

To sort of continue arguing but not really, you can read the Fremen as "going soft" because Arrakis is made into a nice place with weather satellites later in the series... but also there's all this other stuff about how going on holy war was just a mass trauma nobody could process because they come home and it's not even home anymore even though it's objectively "better" now. They don't even get to enjoy going soft, really, they're more broken as people than anything.

I, Butthole posted:

i really doubt any of the duncans would ever be gay because he's such a bigot in God Emperor he almost kills moneo because he can't stand the fact that he saw two girls kissing

However homophobic Herbert was (definitely), it's still funny that he wrote that just so he could have the book stop and make fun of Duncan there IIRC.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

sean10mm posted:

Kwizatz Haderach literally means, "The shortening of the way."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sean10mm posted:

Kynes’ plan would have led directly to catastrophe for like, every other planet in existence. Essentially it would have had the same effects as Leto’s tyranny (spice flow drops to practically nothing, interstellar transportation all but breaks down, Tleilaxu and Ixians end up figuring out how to end run around Arrakis) but without the prohibition of large scale armed conflict. Arrakis would have been very green and nice for a while and I’m sure the Fremen would have enjoyed it, but I think it’s safe to say it would not have improved the lives of the future generations of countless other planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

skasion posted:

Kynes’ plan would have led directly to catastrophe for like, every other planet in existence. Essentially it would have had the same effects as Leto’s tyranny (spice flow drops to practically nothing, interstellar transportation all but breaks down, Tleilaxu and Ixians end up figuring out how to end run around Arrakis) but without the prohibition of large scale armed conflict. Arrakis would have been very green and nice for a while and I’m sure the Fremen would have enjoyed it, but I think it’s safe to say it would not have improved the lives of the future generations of countless other planets.
It seemed like most of the Fremen plan was to make the southern areas nice and leave the central latitudes and the north part of Arrakis to go gently caress itself, which might not have wiped out the worms, or at least not nearly as fast. It would have probably reduced spice production but I don't think non-Fremen were getting spice from anywhere other than the regions near the northern pole?