Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

welcome to the ouch motherfuckers!

https://twitter.com/TomatoGrandpa/status/1460269247628779520

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hate that everything has to be Whedon-ized now
let something be goofy and sincere at the same time like Maniac, the OA, or Sense8

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i've never seen cowboy beebop what's the vibe? the netflix trailers for the live action version have looked like shite

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i've never seen cowboy beebop what's the vibe? the netflix trailers for the live action version have looked like shite

Ed's not even in the show and it's all Joss Whedon as hell with the writing.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

sorry i meant i never watched the anime beebop

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

someone better get chistopher nolan on the phone because there's some serious old-fashioned projection going on itt!

because come on, if there is one thing you cannot say about the snyder fans it's that we are a conflict-averse bunch

the snyderdome is a safespace, so i would disagree

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's good. Some of the episodes are more comedy or horror than others so don't expect a consistent tone. But it's a good series.

At least see the Knocking on Heaven's Door movie. It owns.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Think dirty space jazz club
Like Blade Runner but if everything was kinda like Frank Sinatra "In the Wee Small Hours" kinda cool rather than 80s Neon cool

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

call me when they link up

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this thing ain't got no reason to live.
lmao
https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1458595164532797447?s=20

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's better when a show has one episode where it's hunting down a criminal with plenty of martial arts and then another episode is a horror where everyone nearly gets killed by a space fungus monster that gets eaten by the wacky kid going 'Yum pudding'. Tone consistency be damned.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i hesitate to even post this word for fear of breathing its evil into the world, but......... remember "hope punk"?

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i hesitate to even post this word for fear of breathing its evil into the world, but......... remember "hope punk"?

It should only be called "Hope punk" if it ends with the heroes bombing the megacorp building and the people celebrate like it's 4th of July.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Judakel posted:

the snyderdome is a safespace, so i would disagree

historical revisionism

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

i watched one episode of the anime, it seemed fine, good music, fun space western theme. didn't blow me away.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

historical revisionism

i mean, burkion threw a tantrum because i criticized snyder, so i gotta disagree

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

finished reading Dune over the weekend, liked it a lot in spite of some wooden writing and the kind of weird anticlimactic ending

i've got Dune Messiah ready to start next but i'm curious what the consensus is on how many of the sequels are "good"? from what i've absorbed it sounds like at least through God Emperor Dune??

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's a fun adventure with good music. It's more or less episodic bounty-of-the-week until the end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/1460083929168367620

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i think stopping US saber rattling towards China would do more to stop Asian hate.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What ethnicity is bert and ernie

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

sesame street extending itself to to the diversity level of avenue q, very exciting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The puppets have ethnicity?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Justin Tyme posted:

What ethnicity is bert and ernie

Gay

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I thought the muppets were like monster guys and animals, did they get confused and think Cousin Skeeter was one of their puppets?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Judakel posted:

i think stopping US saber rattling towards China would do more to stop Asian hate.

idk how much influence sesame street has over us foreign policy

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It wasn't great but $60 million, Luc Besson, Milla, Hoffman, and Malkovich is about as big budget as it gets for the era and we'll probably never see film made like it ever again (in that it balances the societal poo poo with fairly impressive practical war scenes)
and the dumb period accurate Norman haircuts

Now it'd surely be Scarjo with an undercut and a bunch of battle scenes where she poses and then it cuts to Total War CGI bullshit

Total war CGI bullshit was great in time commanders.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

no. the anime is pretty much a dystopia it just doesn't focus on it

anyway no surprise that the cowboy bebop show sucks rear end. people in america love to look at cartoons from other countries and scoff. as if the usa is not producing some of the most embarrassingly juvenile pop culture on earth, at this moment

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my impression about cowboy bebop is that it was less a dystopia and more postapocalyptic but the systems and mechanisms that caused the apocalypse were still there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

finished reading Dune over the weekend, liked it a lot in spite of some wooden writing and the kind of weird anticlimactic ending

i've got Dune Messiah ready to start next but i'm curious what the consensus is on how many of the sequels are "good"? from what i've absorbed it sounds like at least through God Emperor Dune??

With the disclaimer that I've only read the first as well, they apparently get clunkier and weirder as they go and GEOD is sort of a natural stopping point before two novels that were leading up to a conclusion that was never written. Under no circumstances should you read Kevin J Anderson

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

Under no circumstances should you read Kevin J Anderson

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

vyelkin posted:

idk how much influence sesame street has over us foreign policy

I am speaking about the current concern over Asian hate which seems largely focused on cultural solutions that do not address the source of the problem. I find myself extremely cynical over something that is good simply because no one concerned about it seems to be calling out the real cause, probably for fear of being seen as pro-China.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Casey Finnigan posted:

anyway no surprise that the cowboy bebop show sucks rear end. people in america love to look at cartoons from other countries and scoff. as if the usa is not producing some of the most embarrassingly juvenile pop culture on earth, at this moment

This is very much a generational thing. People under 30 (or even 40) consume practically as much Japanese media than American at this point. Demon Slayer’s American sales were larger than the the entire U.S comic industry combined. But Hollywood is insular, incestuous, and elitist. Not to mention ultimately run by a bunch of racist 80 year old liches. So it makes sense Hollywood is at this stage where Japanese stuff is too popular with the consumer’s to not adapt it, but too despised by those who run the industry to adapt it well.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

aahahahahahaha YASSSSS

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's all good. God Emperor is the high point, but the rest is also p dece. Just be prepared that the ending is missing.
There's some weird poo poo in the last one, like a Bene Gesserit analog that are so good at loving that they can mindcontrol dudes. But then Duncan Idaho is EVEN BETTER at loving real ggod and he can mindcontrol them back. Also it's like a few thousand years forward from God Emperor, and there's been a lot more Duncan Idahos. Duncan Idahos as far as the eye can see. Imagine four duncan idahos on a cliff - Dune works the same way.

Do NOT read Herbert's son's prequels/sidequels or whatever the gently caress they are.

StashAugustine posted:

Under no circumstances should you read Kevin J Anderson

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

This is very much a generational thing. People under 30 (or even 40) consume practically as much Japanese media than American at this point. Demon Slayer’s American sales were larger than the the entire U.S comic industry combined.

i like remembering these kinds of factoids in the context of squid game discourse where the literati was acting like people willingly consuming media produced in other countries was this outrageous redefinition of everything we knew about pop culture

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Dune messiah is boring but interesting.
Children of Dune is MEGA BORING then fun for the last 20 pages. Bit pedoish.
God Emperor is the most bizzare and fun but also incredibly homophobic and where you realise Herbert is a Lovecraft-tier oval office.
I haven't finished the next one but I've heard this is where it starts to get really bad.

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Nov 15, 2021

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

https://twitter.com/Beefstrong/status/1460317627503501321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they should get zack snyder to make a live action Evangelion next so we can all finally kill each other