Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Binary Badger posted:

Edit: Apple is currently including Python 3.8.9 with their tools, somewhat behind the current 3.8.12 I have with homebrew..

My current python version is 3.9.7. Time for an upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

So I've had Affinity Photo and Designer since May last year when I got a new machine and had to ditch my ancient CS5(?) install. Mostly used Photo to do stuff like crop & straighten out scanned cd covers, minor photo edits & filtering, and making GBS FM themes and logos.

It's...not bad? I get frustrated trying to do somethings quickly because I have a couple decades' worth of Photoshop muscle memory going on, but so far haven't really found anything I can't do with it, other than obsessively cut and layer out GIF for making avatars, which I haven't done in years anyway lol.

It's definitely got some quirky and annoying behaviour around how active layers become active, but overall can't complain at getting them both for 50% off. It's doing 99% of what I used Photoshop for.

This is definitely my thing. I ended up buying Pixelmator because I have the iPad version I remembered, so maybe if I get into a good groove with it there are some cool things you can do if you combine them, like some kind of Jony Ive form Voltron. I think my biggest problem so far is that I want photoshop without paying for photoshop which is essentially a legal problem but I’m too impatient to pirate things these days so I’m just going to force myself to re-train years of muscle memory on PixPro which pretty much has the same “…not bad?” feel so far.

Honestly if I really wanted a photoshop clone I could have just gone with GIMP but I can’t bring myself to.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 5, 2021

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
There's also Photoshop Elements, which works reasonably well for a lot of stuff (and comes for a flat fee).

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I have successfully installed Monterey, and I discovered a .PKInstallSandBoxManager directory on my internal HD - ~28GB 😲

Can I safely remove this directory and reclaim the ~28GB without breaking anything?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

binarysmurf posted:

I have successfully installed Monterey, and I discovered a .PKInstallSandBoxManager directory on my internal HD - ~28GB 😲

Can I safely remove this directory and reclaim the ~28GB without breaking anything?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/376521/delete-file-in-pkinstallsandboxmanager-folder

Looks like it's a temp dir for Apple's Software Update system, the contents should get autoflushed once they're not needed (perhaps after a reboot or two), and you probably don't want to delete anything in there yourself.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Here and elsewhere I regularly see people recommend Alfred but I still haven't understood why it's so much better than Spotlight. Am I missing something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it offers some advanced integration and workflows that you can trigger, but tbqh my spotlight/alfred/search-bar-app use cases were always application launching and I haven't yet come across a case where Spotlight has felt like a limitation to me.

Definitely also curious to hear what others use it for. But also slightly worried I'll hear a use case that makes me go "wow" and now I feel I'm missing out :haw:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xabi posted:

Here and elsewhere I regularly see people recommend Alfred but I still haven't understood why it's so much better than Spotlight. Am I missing something?

Spotlight is a search tool that lets you occasionally do stuff to the things you find (launch/open them, mostly).

Alfred is an attempt to recreate Quicksilver, a noun-verb-object workflow tool, where [file/app] > [open/launch] is a common but very minor capability. Alfred doesn't quite have the elegance and breadth of functionality of Quicksilver, but is more streamlined, user-friendly, and generally “MacOS:y”. For these two, the search part is just a way to find [thing], and the main functionality they offer is the stuff you do to or with [thing], and the ways in which these actions can be extended.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

QuickSilver, THANK YOU, that's the name of the app I was trying to remember. I used it a lot back in the day but admittedly still as an app launcher.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I use Alfred, and am an old Quicksilver user. Mostly I like it because of 15 years of muscle memory but here's like the 3 things I use it for:
Customizable invoke shortcuts (
code:
Ctrl+Space
for me)
Its a much faster app launcher than going to the dock. Just invoke, first 2 letters of name of Application, boom.
code:
open+filename
opens files I know the name of.
code:
=(regular math expression)
is much faster than opening up calculator

Okay. 4 things. Basic but indispensable to my workflow.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I also built out some simple workflows in Alfred.

‘archive’ opens my NAS archive folder in a new finder window.

‘downie <url>’ feeds a url into the YouTube downloader I use.

‘rad <movie>’ adds a movie into my radarr queue

‘dn <text>’ creates a new Draft note with the specified text

Etc. I’ve set up a dozen or two simple workflows like this that makes little things super quick.

I also use it to control iTunes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

There's also Photoshop Elements, which works reasonably well for a lot of stuff (and comes for a flat fee).
I haven't used Elements in a fair few years, but last time I did they had hosed around with some very basic Photoshop conventions to make it annoying to figure out how to do simple things. It was less a light version of PS than some bastard other picture editor with the PS name grafted on.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Xabi posted:

Back when the Safari Keyword Search plugin was MIA it was indispensable for me to be able to just ⌘⎵ gs paper_title to search for a paper on Google Scholar or wp obscure_topic to look it up on Wikipedia. I do still use the text snippets as note templates and the > prefix to quickly run Terminal commands, but I'm definitely not using it anywhere near its full potential and I could get by without it if I had to.

In general it just makes a lot of little things a bit quicker / easier, and a few specific things much, much easier. Maybe have a quick look through the custom workflows on Packal or the Alfred forums and see if any of your daily driver apps have anything available that sounds useful; otherwise, if nothing about your current workflow is really bugging you then don't feel like you're missing out on anything incredible.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

As an old quicksilver hand who never really gelled with alfred very well I am digging the f out of Raycast

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Crunchy Black posted:

I use Alfred, and am an old Quicksilver user. Mostly I like it because of 15 years of muscle memory but here's like the 3 things I use it for:
Customizable invoke shortcuts (
code:
Ctrl+Space
for me)
Its a much faster app launcher than going to the dock. Just invoke, first 2 letters of name of Application, boom.
code:
open+filename
opens files I know the name of.
code:
=(regular math expression)
is much faster than opening up calculator

Okay. 4 things. Basic but indispensable to my workflow.

Doesn’t Spotlight do literally all of these things?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Chris Knight posted:

I haven't used Elements in a fair few years, but last time I did they had hosed around with some very basic Photoshop conventions to make it annoying to figure out how to do simple things. It was less a light version of PS than some bastard other picture editor with the PS name grafted on.

I have 2021 on this machine, if you use the "Expert" tab, it appears or acts mostly like Photoshop with some options removed.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ArcticZombie posted:

Doesn’t Spotlight do literally all of these things?

Yup.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got Alfred, tried it once, was like "oh this is cool" and never used it again.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Incredibly, I am still having this problem. In clamshell mode, my mac wakes from sleep properly probably 30% of the time. The rest of the time I have to walk over, open it up, unplug and replug the external display, and log in on the laptop side. It Just Works!™ Or, it used to anyway.
Still dealing with this in Monterey. I went to an Apple Store to try and show a genius but naturally it worked every time while I was there. His recommendation was to try using a wired keyboard, as maybe Bluetooth devices weren't waking it properly, but this didn't fix it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I got Alfred, tried it once, was like "oh this is cool" and never used it again.

It helps if you change it to/replace Spotlight's keyboard shortcut.

I find I use it to do a lot of the same things I could do with Spotlight but I can customise it to look a lot cleaner and it just always seems faster.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
One other nice thing about alfred is large-type mode (cmd-L). Good if you need to see something like a phone number or whatever, but also need to walk away from the computer, since it'll display up to the full width of the screen. It's less useful for longer strings, but it will eventually wrap around, and it's still better than fullscreening a text window and zooming the hell in or something.

Also, using the built in web-search is handy if you make use of the shortcuts. It's nice to just type in like, "wikipedia gnomes" and have it run the search for you. Doesn't even need the powerpack for custom strings.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Getting a weird issue lately watching (some?) videos on YouTube in Safari, where if I fullscreen the video to its own space, flip to a different space, and flip back, the video will freeze on the current frame, the whole system completely locks up (no keyboard or mouse response, though the power button still does a hard restart) and the audio continues playing for about a minute, until suddenly I'm looking at the login prompt and the system acts like it's just restarted (apps are relaunching etc and I can't use Touch ID to log in). This happens very reproducibly with certain videos and as far as I can tell never with others. What's, uh, happening there?

E: It only happens if I fullscreen the video itself. If I fullscreen the tab, this doesn't happen.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 10, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Alfred's clipboard manager is amazing for putting together work documents where I'm copying and pasting a lot of the same content. I don't know how many times I've gone back to reference something I copied hours or even days ago.

I also love being able to kill processes from Alfred, open bookmark URLs, as well as easily search specific websites by typing yt + "search query" for YouTube, go for Google, eB for eBay. I honestly don't know how I work without it.

Edit: You can even launch a Terminal with a command by typing the command after ">" in Alfred. It's amazing how powerful it is.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 10, 2021

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fedule posted:

Getting a weird issue lately watching (some?) videos on YouTube in Safari, where if I fullscreen the video to its own space, flip to a different space, and flip back, the video will freeze on the current frame, the whole system completely locks up (no keyboard or mouse response, though the power button still does a hard restart) and the audio continues playing for about a minute, until suddenly I'm looking at the login prompt and the system acts like it's just restarted (apps are relaunching etc and I can't use Touch ID to log in). This happens very reproducibly with certain videos and as far as I can tell never with others. What's, uh, happening there?

E: It only happens if I fullscreen the video itself. If I fullscreen the tab, this doesn't happen.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/05/m1-pro-max-youtube-hdr-crashes/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Did they move/remove the option to adjust screen refresh rates? For some reason after this latest reboot, my 4K second screen is running at 30Hz, I know tht's not always been the case.

Connected via a Caldigit TS3+ on DisplayPort....

edit: disregard. rebooted the computer again, and the dock. option reappeared. FIX YOUR OPERATION SYSTEM, TIM. Or, all TB3 docks are trash, the Caldigit least so, but still trash.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 10, 2021

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AlternateAccount posted:

Or, all TB3 docks are trash, the Caldigit least so, but still trash.
It’s sadly this. I’m a huge proponent for TB docks but they’ve all got problems because TB fundamentally has issues.

Maybe someone will make a USB4 dock that actually works at some point but I’m not holding my breath.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I read about this, but, I'm using a 2020 Intel Air, and I'm pretty sure the videos that this happens with for me aren't in HDR (they are LP videos of a Switch game). Also, doesn't a kernel crash display that multilingual warning?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mercurius posted:

It’s sadly this. I’m a huge proponent for TB docks but they’ve all got problems because TB fundamentally has issues.

Maybe someone will make a USB4 dock that actually works at some point but I’m not holding my breath.

Macs never had them but the snap-in style docks for Lenovos were infinitely better than the USB-C/TB poo poo

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I’ve got a cal digit usb-c dock and it’s trash too. Monitors hooked up via DisplayPort refuse to sleep for longer than 2 mins but work fine in hdmi (but at 30hz). And randomly at least 2-3 times a week all usb devices plugged into it just stop working until a full reboot and replug in the usbc cable. Somehow this is still miles better than the cheap usb-c hub I had before it

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Macs never had them but the snap-in style docks for Lenovos were infinitely better than the USB-C/TB poo poo
Bring back the Duo Dock.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I've actually been very lucky and my elgato Thunderbolt 3 dock has been flawless with several different Intel Macs and my current M1 but I also only use one screen with it and I suspect that helps a lot. Every single other Thunderbolt dock I've used or seen at work has had problems regardless of the brand or what type of computer or peripherals used are with it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I swear iPhone app devs are loving psychic. Literally every single app I would want to run on my new M1 Max (stuff which access services with no web client or otherwise native Mac version) is locked to phones and tablets only, and all I see in the app store is crap I don't want. I really don't see the point in this "feature" if every non-crapware dev is just going to turn it off.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 15, 2021

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It won’t be the experience they really want the user to have.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Apple just needs to make M1 Mac compatibility an “in app purchase” and magically it will flip the other way.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I’m mostly just mad that Darksky opted out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The memory leak that people have been running into in macOS Monterey appears to have been identified:

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/11/15/montereys-memory-leak-and-how-to-avoid-it/

The leak seems to occur when the mouse pointer size is set to something other than its default value and the cursor type changes (as in mouse pointer to I-bar when hovering over text)

The ostensible fix is to set the cursor to its smallest (default) size and reset any changes to the cursor colors / outline in the Appearance prefpane.

Edit: Is Hair Force One spending too long under the dryer these days?! How the gently caress can you release any such software, especially an OS, with such lovely, deep bugs?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 15, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hmm, there has to be more problems. I keep having to reboot every few days because WindowServer is getting up to 30 gigs of memory usage for me.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Taima posted:

I’m mostly just mad that Darksky opted out.

I'm amazed they bought the app, still charge five bucks for it and have made zero improvements. Really, mac support toggled on and the new type of widget that doesn't have to sit below all the others in the sidebar are the only things I want

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Rogue Amoeba's official guide to installing SoundSource on M1's is to lower SIP and I'm just not comfortable with that. Are there any other apps you'd all recommend for changing the volume over my external monitor's speakers?

And for that matter I've been happy using their Loopback too to play music over WebEx/Hangouts/etc... but I'd have to do the same thing with lowering SIP to get the underlying ACE application installed. Are there any other applications that'd let me do the same thing without having to reduce lower-level OS protections?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a Markdown editor for Mac that is:
  • Native (Electron makes me puke)
  • Single-pane, WYSIWYM (who the gently caress wants a dual-pane editor :confused:)
  • One-off purchase
  • Able to read/save files from my file system instead of its own proprietary / hidden cloud database
  • Ideally not completely butt-ugly

It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable list of features but I just can’t find one that meets them all. I’m on the verge of trying to start coding my own because Typora’s bugs are getting to me and I have a feeling the full release will be a paid subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TACD posted:

Is there a Markdown editor for Mac that is:
  • Native (Electron makes me puke)
  • Single-pane, WYSIWYM (who the gently caress wants a dual-pane editor :confused:)
  • One-off purchase
  • Able to read/save files from my file system instead of its own proprietary / hidden cloud database
  • Ideally not completely butt-ugly

It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable list of features but I just can’t find one that meets them all. I’m on the verge of trying to start coding my own because Typora’s bugs are getting to me and I have a feeling the full release will be a paid subscription.

BBEdit.

EDIT: Whoops, I have been informed BBEdit is dual-pane. But it does the rest of the stuff.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 15, 2021