Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

best ep of the season, firing on all cylinders

yeah, there was a lotta spinning plates he managed to catch by the end. great episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
The subtitles said "Blows Shofar Beautifully" at the end!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Predictable even by Curb standards but got a lot of laughs out of me nonetheless. Larry at the farm was funny as hell.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

best ep of the season, firing on all cylinders

definitely. I had a lot of good laughs out of this episode.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

One of my biggest laughs was towards the beginning when Jeff agreed to take the rabbi golfing, then slowly, wordlessly, turned towards Larry to get him to offer to come too, and Larry increasingly trying to act like he didn't know what Jeff wanted. Just classic.

Also Larry helping Leon get over his public watermelon fears. So good.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Who told you to have a watermelon orgy?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jeff hasn't had a lot of screentime this season but goddamn he does so much with just his face.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly, Leon is maybe the single best addition the show ever made.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My biggest laugh of the episode was Larry’s line:

“Feed?”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I liked suzies blanket

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I liked Suzie's robe

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Honestly, Leon is maybe the single best addition the show ever made.

I'd go so far as to say Smoove is one of the greatest mid-series additions to any show, ever. Up there with Jeri Ryan joining Voyager.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m catching up and these last two episodes were top notch Curb. Larry can really blow that shofar

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm losing my mind laughing right now, was really not expecting to see that thing again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Khanstant posted:

i'm losing my mind laughing right now, was really not expecting to see that thing again.

It was great. I knew the horn would show up later because that poo poo always happens. I was not expecting him to use it like the horn of Gondor.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The loving Woody tantrum over grapes was amazing. Holy poo poo at being able to just poke fun at yourself like that.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I had been feeling a bit cold on the new season but this episode felt like a return to form.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
Surprised to see the super positive reaction. I was really excited to watch it and love curb. I thought all the setups felt predictable and way too outlandish. Lots of stuff felt uncharacteristic for Larry, even by Curb standards. The eye appointment cycling back and forth lenses was relatable. There were funny, boundary-pushing moments, but it all felt inorganic or nonsensical.

The cream scheme seemed totally unnecessary, comes off like Woody probably would have only given Larry a bit of a hard time. I feel like Larry probably would have pleaded ignorance on the issue and that would've been more or less that. Why would Larry try to drive after that eye appointment? I know I'm nitpicking a bit but there's no way Suzy would agree to make the klan robe in earlier seasons. Think back to The Doll episode, that episode has maybe the funniest payoff in TV history because it’s a perfectly natural result of everything that happens in the episode. There’s a reason for Larry using the women’s bathroom, there’s a reason for Larry having the water bottle in his pants, there’s a reason for Cheryl abandoning the door, there’s a reason for the girl to go in and hug him, and there’s a reason for others to distrust him in that episode.

There’s no reason for Larry to have the Klansman’s robe cleaned. There’s no reason for the Klansman to happen to have a cow which happens to fulfill a lie that he told earlier in the episode. These things are contrived to fit the jokes, the jokes don’t evolve from natural character moments. I dunno, I just didn't feel it but I guess I'm alone because here and the curb subreddit everyone loved it. I think they used to improvise a LOT more. The recent seasons seem to pack a lot more plot points and scenes in, with less of a rambling feel to the dialogue. There’s kinda too much going on to have the old style.

I'll have to give it a rewatch and hopefully it will grow on me.

VVVVV I understand that it just didn't feel as natural as old curb. I didn't hate it, but was surprised to see people saying top 5 episode and poo poo.

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 17, 2021

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is this the first episode you've watched? This show is filled with convenient coincidences.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly the watermelon part really struck me as too weird. Like I know there's racist stereotypes about how black people love watermelon or whatever, but surely there's not any actual stigma about it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly the watermelon part really struck me as too weird. Like I know there's racist stereotypes about how black people love watermelon or whatever, but surely there's not any actual stigma about it?

No, it's just one of those awkward social things you unwittingly think about because the world is stupid. Dave Chappelle made a bunch of jokes about it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I liked the episode overall, it was good Curb, but the klan robe thing was a little bit out there IMO.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

larry invited a sex offender to seder just because he helped him with his golf swing, the klan robe thing is entirely within reason for him, he’s weirdly principled about things he shouldn’t be

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, that's true. I had totally forgotten about that episode.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

The thought that they might fulfill a stereotype of a group they belong to can be a source of anxiety for people. I don't think stigma necessarily factors into it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That was the best episode in years.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

A For Effort posted:

Surprised to see the super positive reaction. I was really excited to watch it and love curb. I thought all the setups felt predictable and way too outlandish. Lots of stuff felt uncharacteristic for Larry, even by Curb standards. The eye appointment cycling back and forth lenses was relatable. There were funny, boundary-pushing moments, but it all felt inorganic or nonsensical.

The cream scheme seemed totally unnecessary, comes off like Woody probably would have only given Larry a bit of a hard time. I feel like Larry probably would have pleaded ignorance on the issue and that would've been more or less that. Why would Larry try to drive after that eye appointment? I know I'm nitpicking a bit but there's no way Suzy would agree to make the klan robe in earlier seasons. Think back to The Doll episode, that episode has maybe the funniest payoff in TV history because it’s a perfectly natural result of everything that happens in the episode. There’s a reason for Larry using the women’s bathroom, there’s a reason for Larry having the water bottle in his pants, there’s a reason for Cheryl abandoning the door, there’s a reason for the girl to go in and hug him, and there’s a reason for others to distrust him in that episode.

There’s no reason for Larry to have the Klansman’s robe cleaned. There’s no reason for the Klansman to happen to have a cow which happens to fulfill a lie that he told earlier in the episode. These things are contrived to fit the jokes, the jokes don’t evolve from natural character moments. I dunno, I just didn't feel it but I guess I'm alone because here and the curb subreddit everyone loved it. I think they used to improvise a LOT more. The recent seasons seem to pack a lot more plot points and scenes in, with less of a rambling feel to the dialogue. There’s kinda too much going on to have the old style.

I'll have to give it a rewatch and hopefully it will grow on me.

VVVVV I understand that it just didn't feel as natural as old curb. I didn't hate it, but was surprised to see people saying top 5 episode and poo poo.

I thought I was accidentally re-reading this thread, even though this was in the unread posts, so I was having a weird deja vu feeling until I remember reading your post about this on the curb subreddit. I guess my lovely memory is slightly less lovely than I thought...

Anyway, I loved the episode and I get why it seems like a lot of this behavior is uncharacteristic for Larry, but that's actually one of the reasons I thought it was so funny. Larry just being totally calm and treating the klansman like a normal guy was wonderfully absurd to me, as if their only difference was liking different sports teams or something. It's sort of the opposite of real life, where "Curb" Larry is usually more confrontational. Meanwhile you've got LD yelling at Alan Dershowitz IRL in a grocery store

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

I have never eaten watermelon in public I don't think. Also I don't like it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
watermelon is too big

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyQyBTXlpmg

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

no larry and leon are right watermelon is the best fruit

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Haven't really laughed much this new season but genuinely really liked this latest Woody episode
Maybe I'm just so starved to enjoy new Curb

Edit: the Dylan O'Brien concert footage did get me good & I think the Maria Sofia Estrada actress has been solid this whole season

LemonLimeSoda fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 20, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s not summer without watermelon.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I watched the latest episode three times already.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Definitely not as good a slats week. Freddy speaking at the funeral was loving hilarious.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

last week's was one of the best in a while, but the new one was still pretty funny

anyone else want to see Leon interact with the regular cast more often? would love to see a Leon/Susie showdown

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

No poo poo, Sherlock!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Holy poo poo. I haven't laughed so hard at anything in a while. Larry sitting down to eat at the start of the episode while the ones guys dad was having a heart attack. Brilliant.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't seen the latest one yet but I have to agree about the Klansman issue. Larry's behavior just doesn't seem to be justified within the show. Didn't he get mad at someone for wearing a maga hat last season? And now KKK is cool? It could've made sense if Larry hadn't realized who he was because of his messed up eyes, and then was terrified that he had to keep his promise. But nope he seemed to be aware the whole time. No idea why Susie would do it either. A favor doesn't mean having to do literally anything.

The watermelon thing makes sense in that someone might be self- conscious except why would the lady Larry dragged home (somehow) freak out over it?

I don't mean this as nitpicking but imo the jokes don't work when it's not just unrelatable but also don't match the established characters or even internal logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't seen the latest one yet but I have to agree about the Klansman issue. Larry's behavior just doesn't seem to be justified within the show. Didn't he get mad at someone for wearing a maga hat last season? And now KKK is cool? It could've made sense if Larry hadn't realized who he was because of his messed up eyes, and then was terrified that he had to keep his promise. But nope he seemed to be aware the whole time. No idea why Susie would do it either. A favor doesn't mean having to do literally anything.

The watermelon thing makes sense in that someone might be self- conscious except why would the lady Larry dragged home (somehow) freak out over it?

I don't mean this as nitpicking but imo the jokes don't work when it's not just unrelatable but also don't match the established characters or even internal logic.

As someone already pointed out though, Larry did once insist on bringing a sex offender to seder because he helped him with his golf swing. I think it's entirely possible that Larry is the kind of person who would get angry at someone wearing a MAGA hat but also feel an incredible sense of obligation to replace it if he spilled coffee on it.