Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Macaluso posted:

I was fine with Jinx before, she was in the same kind of spot as Junkrat for me who I think is a very fun character. But Arcane goes much deeper with her character that I don't think you can really go back to how she was now.

I was also reading the biography about Vi and she apparently becomes an enforcer for Piltover? Really curious if they're changing that as well because I have no idea how Arcane Vi would get to a point where she sides with them

I imagine that would involve the current corrupted organisation pretty much collapsing and Caitlyn being tasked with being in charge of reforming it from the ground up..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I was fine with Jinx before, she was in the same kind of spot as Junkrat for me who I think is a very fun character. But Arcane goes much deeper with her character that I don't think you can really go back to how she was now.

I was also reading the biography about Vi and she apparently becomes an enforcer for Piltover? Really curious if they're changing that as well because I have no idea how Arcane Vi would get to a point where she sides with them

Seems pretty natural to me, Vi and Caitlyn are doing the classic buddy cop, "learning to appreciate the others approach" team up thing in the last few episodes. If the last few episodes has Piltover cleaning house on the corrupt enforcers, would seem natural that they'd need some new recruits.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Macaluso posted:

I don't know how they're going to get there, but the existing story of her joining the Enforcers to protect Jinx would still work.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Cupcakes, I guess.

I completely agree wrt Jinx, but it works with the others as well - Caitlyn, Vi, Jayce, Viktor and Heimerdinger are significatively less flat characters compared to what the games tell us about them.
Even Singed, who appears for a total of like two minutes, is way less of a gimmick character rather than the guy who only says "mix mix swirl mix".

It's clearly too early but I'm one of the many who would like to see these writers' take on Sylas and the whole story around him, to see how they could un-flatten Garen, J4, Xin Zhao and the likes.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Vermain posted:

It remains to be seen if it'll have much impact on the plot, but I'm convinced that Mel is working for Noxus. Aside from the obvious character traits - highly manipulative, considered a disappointment to the family, ruthlessly ambitious in her own right - they keep dropping little hints here and there. She mentions having "investors" lined up for Hextech; she mentions to Jayce that there's "a lot he doesn't know about her"; and the painting she's doing in her room is Noxus proper, with the Immortal Bastion in the back and warships in the front. It's especially suspicious that the writers chose this set of episodes to bring up Noxus' existence obliquely, too. The fact that she seems genuinely a little taken by Jayce is going to end up being her big character dilemma when it comes time to betray his research, assuming I'm right.
Now I'm wondering if she's one of Leblanc's Black Roses. Mel's advice and influence would fit in with their machinations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Char posted:

It's clearly too early but I'm one of the many who would like to see these writers' take on Sylas and the whole story around him, to see how they could un-flatten Garen, J4, Xin Zhao and the likes.

SHACO will sweep the 2025 oscars

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

njsykora posted:

I don't know how they're going to get there, but the existing story of her joining the Enforcers to protect Jinx would still work.

Also her backing Caitlyn in Caitlyn's desire to clean up the Enforcers. Which was Caitlyn's old lore even, she completely reshaped the face of "police" work in Piltover as the new Sherrif to clean up crime.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I'd say it's all but guaranteed that the next season will be something around demacia and noxus, tho shurima and the void would be more fun. Unfortunately neither scenario would feature the best, most handsome character: tahm kench

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

el dingo posted:

I'd say it's all but guaranteed that the next season will be something around demacia and noxus, tho shurima and the void would be more fun. Unfortunately neither scenario would feature the best, most handsome character: tahm kench

such a great loving hat

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vi just got captured by the neutral/wild card firelight faction and I'm interested in how they're gonna explain their place in things, I can't imagine they won't try to convince Vi to join and wonder what reason she'll have for inevitably refusing

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

CYBEReris posted:

Vi just got captured by the neutral/wild card firelight faction and I'm interested in how they're gonna explain their place in things, I can't imagine they won't try to convince Vi to join and wonder what reason she'll have for inevitably refusing

they probably will have a goal that isn't "go after jinx right now" and that's basically Vi's entire list of goals at the moment.

What I'm wondering is if we'll get to see Ekko's weird time powers!

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
This show plot is hilariously bad. I am constantly laughing as I watch this terrible children's show with an oversized budget.

Sniper Rifle Cop Lady is such an amazingly over the top pulp concept for a cyberpunk villain - to see it been played here completely straight as a PROTAGONIST is extremely funny. Her impractical outfit not been bespoke high society fashion but the actual women's standardized cop uniform would be funny in a satirical comedy, but its also played completely straight here. lmao.

Elon Musk is simultaneously extremely horny and completely sexless. Big marvel energy. The soul of magic watching elon musk gently caress high society both literally and metaphorically is one of the weirdest loving things I've seen all year, what a scene. Sidenote, lmao, the introduction of assistant to incompetently hit on Viktor and then be sad when he's completely oblivious, lmao.

Jinx is a terrible character. Arcane has TERRIBLE politics.

The show's animation is its strongest suit, but nonetheless the quality of action sequences varies wildly between good and mediocre. Frequently, action sequences make poor use of the spaces they are set in (ep 3's climax been an example of a big dramatic space that was used pretty uninventively). The best action sequence so far was the fight scene between Purple Gives Me Strength and Six, which was in a very simple, confined space, and used the only physically important object in the room (the pillar) well.

ALSO. Also. The scene in ep 1 where:

1. Children are walking down street next to sex workers standing outside brothel.
2. Elderly sex worker see's literal child, perks up, smiles alluringly.
3. Child turns away, makes yikes face.
4. Elderly sex worker scowls.

What the gently caress?

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Miftan posted:

they probably will have a goal that isn't "go after jinx right now" and that's basically Vi's entire list of goals at the moment.

What I'm wondering is if we'll get to see Ekko's weird time powers!

Ekko has no inherent powers iirc.

(Spoilers/speculation): If he does turn out to be the Firelight Gang leader, then he has now gotten access to the hextech which is needed for him to develop his time device.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Svensken posted:

Ekko has no inherent powers iirc.

(Spoilers/speculation): If he does turn out to be the Firelight Gang leader, then he has now gotten access to the hextech which is needed for him to develop his time device.

He does not, his weapon was stolen from a Piltover clocktower and he builds the Z-Drive himself, which is a weird time distortion device that only works when he revs it up and sends him back to that point. It's save-states in video games basically.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jinx suffered terribly from being "You know who is cool? Deadpool/Harley Quinn." She's good now.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Rob Filter posted:

This show plot is hilariously bad. I am constantly laughing as I watch this terrible children's show with an oversized budget.

Sniper Rifle Cop Lady is such an amazingly over the top pulp concept for a cyberpunk villain - to see it been played here completely straight as a PROTAGONIST is extremely funny. Her impractical outfit not been bespoke high society fashion but the actual women's standardized cop uniform would be funny in a satirical comedy, but its also played completely straight here. lmao.

Elon Musk is simultaneously extremely horny and completely sexless. Big marvel energy. The soul of magic watching elon musk gently caress high society both literally and metaphorically is one of the weirdest loving things I've seen all year, what a scene. Sidenote, lmao, the introduction of assistant to incompetently hit on Viktor and then be sad when he's completely oblivious, lmao.

The show's animation is its strongest suit, but nonetheless the quality of action sequences varies wildly between good and mediocre. Frequently, action sequences make poor use of the spaces they are set in (ep 3's climax been an example of a big dramatic space that was used pretty uninventively). The best action sequence so far was the fight scene between Purple Gives Me Strength and Six, which was in a very simple, confined space, and used the only physically important object in the room (the pillar) well.

1. Children are walking down street next to sex workers standing outside brothel.

What the gently caress?

are you ok

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
What I kinda feel is interesting about Jinx/Powder is that Arcane seems to be treating Powder as someone who was terrified of fights and physical danger, and this has mutated and warped with trauma as Jinx to the point she no longer seems to have an appropriate fear response at all - she goes berserk instead, or at least her fear and fury are basically the same thing at this point.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 15, 2021

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jetrauben posted:

What I kinda feel is interesting about Jinx/Powder is that Arcane seems to be treating Powder as someone who was terrified of fights and physical danger, and this has mutated and warped with trauma as Jinx to the point she no longer seems to have an appropriate fear response at all - she goes berserk instead, or at least her fear and fury are basically the same thing at this point.

I think a couple times she's also laughed when she maybe should've been afraid, which could come across as being overconfident or like you said, not responding to fear in a uh healthy way

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How many characters that are in the show are in the games? I know Vi, Jynx, and Jayce but who else?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vi, Jinx, Jayce, Viktor, Heimerdinger, Caitlyn, Ekko, and Singed (the doctor guy that worked with Silco and the owner of that giant salamander) are confirmed. There are theories that Vander, Mel, and that rat who killed the cat in the first episode are also champions, but none of those are confirmed.

EDIT: Oh, and that giant salamander is a Little Legend player character for Teamfight Tactics, which is another game Riot makes that uses League assets.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 15, 2021

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MarcusSA posted:

How many characters that are in the show are in the games? I know Vi, Jynx, and Jayce but who else?

Currently: Vi, Jinx, Jayce, Viktor, Heimerdinger, Singed, Ekko, Caitlyn

There are some provisional characters that will potentially be in the game: Vander (will know in Act 3 most likely), and 2 new characters may be from the show (a support and marksman releasing winter and january/feb)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jerkface posted:

Currently: Vi, Jinx, Jayce, Viktor, Heimerdinger, Singed, Ekko, Caitlyn

There are some provisional characters that will potentially be in the game: Vander (will know in Act 3 most likely), and 2 new characters may be from the show (a support and marksman releasing winter and january/feb)

Who are the new ones supposed to be? With the amount of cross promotion they've done I'd be shocked if the next champion or the one after aren't from Arcane.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Miftan posted:

Who are the new ones supposed to be? With the amount of cross promotion they've done I'd be shocked if the next champion or the one after aren't from Arcane.

They havent said explicitly yet. One is a support which has people thinking its Mel, and the other is a marksman that potentially has a hoverboard/lightning gun so maybe one of the firelights?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
There's also speculation that Jhin was the guy performing at the theater. Jhin's mask for sure made a cameo earlier in the series, in the pawn shop.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Miftan posted:

Who are the new ones supposed to be?

They've been tight-lipped about the ADC, but the description of the support sounds like one of the Chembarons, with most speculation pointing towards Corina Veraza.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jinx kind of reminds me of X-23, the female Wolverine clone that was invented for an animated X-men show and subsequently was written into the comics. That character has an extremely high difficulty to pull off well; Wolverine is arguably the most oversaturated Marvel, if not all comics, character ever, so creating another one but that was a teenage girl seemed like a recipe for disaster. Now, I haven't read everything that X-23/Laura has been in but everything featuring her that I've read or seen (even including Logan), the character has been an absolute highlight, believable and grounded and interesting. The various writers at Marvel really understand what makes a character like x-23 interesting, and consistently turn out excellent stories that feature strong characterization. You never get the sense that Laura is just genderbent Wolverine, at all.

Jinx is the same way, an extremely high difficulty character that could easily fall off into the cartoonish, but so far she's has a good mix of being chaotic but still having a purpose. That the VA performance is so good doesn't hurt of course. My only exposure to the character is the Get Jinxed video which I saw years ago, and my impression of the character has always been "dollar-store Harley Quinn". I'm glad the show creators are breaking that perception and creating a more well rounded character.

Another thing the show has going for it is that they animation is so good at expressing emotion through facial cues, that they can leave a lot unsaid and let the visuals tell the story - much more so than in most animation. I don't think that the plot and character interactions are breaking any molds, but the fact that an animated show can lean on their animation team to convey complex emotions and meaning through body language and expression allows for more economical and natural storytelling and dialogue. Someone earlier mentioned the head tilt at the crow in the gang's old hideout, and it's great characterization (especially since she shoots it in the end). When Jinx was fighting the Firelights in the climaxe of e6, there's a moment where Vi looks over and sees just absolute joy on Jinx's face as she's shooting up dudes and without words you can tell how much that troubles her, and makes her wonder how much her sister has changed.

I don't know if they ever said but what do we think, about 10 years between the end of 3 and beginning of four? Also what do you guys think is the best action sequence so far, I was really impressed by the physicality of the fight between Vi and arm lady

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 15, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't know if they ever said but what do we think, about 10 years between the end of 3 and beginning of four?

I think it's somewhere in the range of 6-7 years. Vi mentions that Powder could parkour down into Zaun at the age of 7, and I pegged her initial age at around 8-ish when the series started. She's clearly in her early teens by the time part 2 starts, so 6-7 years feels about right.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rob Filter posted:

What the gently caress?

I would like to frame this post

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

I don't know if they ever said but what do we think, about 10 years between the end of 3 and beginning of four? Also what do you guys think is the best action sequence so far, I was really impressed by the physicality of the fight between Vi and arm lady

Both of Vi's fights have been my favorite so far. The brawl with the other street kids in the first episode was an excellent way of setting the tone. I'm sure it was tempting to have the action sequences all be over-the-top anime/video game fight sequences. Instead, we get a full-on brutal brawl where a bunch of unrefined thugs just beat the poo poo out of each other. The incredible physicality when Mylo slams his arm down in to that other kid's face and when Claggor bodyslams the other was a spectacular way of selling both the animation quality and the vibe the show was going for.

And yeah, Vi vs. Arm Lady was also real good. I've gone back and watched it multiple times and it doesn't get old.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Xad posted:

I think a couple times she's also laughed when she maybe should've been afraid, which could come across as being overconfident or like you said, not responding to fear in a uh healthy way

That scene in episode 4 when she's idly priming grenades and letting them get worryingly close to exploding before she kicks them off the edge almost without paying attention was so hosed up.

And the thing is, we know who did this to her! It's Silco, and it's entirely in keeping with his little monologues where he talks about fear and how real power comes from being willing to do anything. We don't need it to be explicit because we've see how relatively intimate they are as a surrogate parentage and Silco is sincerely trying to "help," it's just his help is a deeply harmful and manipulative method. Both Silco and Jinx are characters who should be scared ALL THE TIME, and their responses are instead to turn their trauma into unhealthy sources of power by not seeking treatment but just diving into the triggering things. Silco spends a lot of his time "underwater" despite literally being nearly drowned. Jinx does nothing but seek out violence when we know she used to be scared of it.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 15, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1stGear posted:

Both of Vi's fights have been my favorite so far. The brawl with the other street kids in the first episode was an excellent way of setting the tone. I'm sure it was tempting to have the action sequences all be over-the-top anime/video game fight sequences. Instead, we get a full-on brutal brawl where a bunch of unrefined thugs just beat the poo poo out of each other. The incredible physicality when Mylo slams his arm down in to that other kid's face and when Claggor bodyslams the other was a spectacular way of selling both the animation quality and the vibe the show was going for.

And yeah, Vi vs. Arm Lady was also real good. I've gone back and watched it multiple times and it doesn't get old.

It's something that I noticed in the parkour scene as well, the animators are really good at the physicality of action, hits feel like something, the characters and objects have weight and momentum. Great choreography and camera work during the fights too.

Also Vi said gently caress ummmmmm she's gonna get in trouuuble

Char
Jan 5, 2013

zoux posted:

Vi vs Sevika is another great show-don't-tell moments. Sevika is characterized as a wrestler brawler - not much in the way of technique, bad at punching, scary when close and physical. Vi starts with flicker jabs, slip-and-counter, solar plexus and liver shots, then it gets a into unrefined brawling after trading enough blows: this fight tells us a lot about her. Other than the expected "angry, determined and unflinching", at the very least we learn she's a good boxer rather than a raw fighter, compared to what the initial episodes showed, where she's a street punk. She's disciplined enough to have studied the art of boxing despite being a prisoner. This fight was written to describe the character and was understood by whoever choreographed it - someone who actually took the time to make the two characters move like brawlers, one flavored as a fictionary challenge to overcome, the other as the flawed but virtuous hero.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Jerkface posted:

They havent said explicitly yet. One is a support which has people thinking its Mel, and the other is a marksman that potentially has a hoverboard/lightning gun so maybe one of the firelights?

Someone elsewhere, with better eyes than I, pointed out that the firelight that knocked out Caitlyn and grabbed the hexgem had the same hair as Viktor's assistant, I went back and checked and it looks very similar, so if that is a correct guess it might be her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another thing I noticed was

:catstare:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Gimp Yordle deserved better than to be overshadowed seconds later by the most important moment in television history. Gimp Yordle deserves to be remembered

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

zoux posted:

Another thing I noticed was

:catstare:

ok wtf where was he/she at lol

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Char posted:

Vi vs Sevika is another great show-don't-tell moments. Sevika is characterized as a wrestler brawler - not much in the way of technique, bad at punching, scary when close and physical. Vi starts with flicker jabs, slip-and-counter, solar plexus and liver shots, then it gets a into unrefined brawling after trading enough blows: this fight tells us a lot about her. Other than the expected "angry, determined and unflinching", at the very least we learn she's a good boxer rather than a raw fighter, compared to what the initial episodes showed, where she's a street punk. She's disciplined enough to have studied the art of boxing despite being a prisoner. This fight was written to describe the character and was understood by whoever choreographed it - someone who actually took the time to make the two characters move like brawlers, one flavored as a fictionary challenge to overcome, the other as the flawed but virtuous hero.

She probably got a lot of boximg practise when apparently every time a henchman of Silco gets arrested, she immediately beats the poo poo out of them.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I really like her stance and style, too. Even as a kid Vi's all straight lines, tight stance and direct straight-line attacks in a way that you rarely ever see in lady heroes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Mnoba posted:

ok wtf where was he/she at lol

They walk past Vi and Caitlyn when they are entering the brothel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I legit didn't notice it the first few times I watched that scene because of all the lesbian happening and frankly I could've gone my entire life happily without ever seeing a yordle in a gimp suit.