Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

im voting for trump...to be back on twitter

this is the only thing any potential candidate can offer me that has any chance of both making my life better and actually happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It was always going to be Biden if Bernie couldn’t take him out. None of the other establishment picks ever got the traction to seriously challenge him so they stuck around while they were useful to split early primaries so that Pete/Klob could dull Bernie’s chance of building momentum in Iowa/NH but then Nevada just went sideways so it was time to call in the fix for SC

You are putting way too much faith in Kamala’s excuse when the real reason she dropped is because she was going to be humiliated

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

the dems found a vp more stupid than dan quayle, it's going to be hilarious if it's her vs trump the content will be tremendous

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

biden was drafted to be the candidate and they pulled all the caucus app tricks and sprinkled all the heart attack powder in bernies coffee that they needed to win it was a fix from jump

I mean, because of our wonderful and never-wrong Supreme Court, they literally can just do whatever they want in the primary, right? If I understand the ruling correctly, because our parties are technically private corporations they can straight-up change vote totals (in the primary, not the general) and it's completely legal. Of course that's much harder to do with a caucus, where a lot more info is publicly available... oh, and on a completely unrelated note, they're getting rid of those for some reason! Nothing weird there! :)

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

good to see libs already settling into "by losing the house and the senate, republicans will pass a bunch of stuff and accomplish a bunch of things. americans hate that. joe biden roars to victory. checkmate, republiailures."

of course the problem is the democrats don't have a vision because this is ideal neoliberalism: two parties with only the vaguest differences between them shitfighting over how to best help the rich. it's why they lean on idpol so much, smugly telling white people they're racist hicks makes you feel good but you can also blame the toothless hicks for not voting for you because they're racist.

i'm grateful c-spam kept me firmly no joe when all my lib people were leaning on me about "okay but tiger champ ace slugger there is a FASCIST in the white house"

a fun thing to ask libs is if the camps are closed down yet

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Nov 15, 2021

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
We are just half way to next election. Lots of runway for stuff to get way worse so unclear if Nov 2020 was either the last election or the Last Election, could go either way

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, because of our wonderful and never-wrong Supreme Court, they literally can just do whatever they want in the primary, right? If I understand the ruling correctly, because our parties are technically private corporations they can straight-up change vote totals (in the primary, not the general) and it's completely legal. Of course that's much harder to do with a caucus, where a lot more info is publicly available... oh, and on a completely unrelated note, they're getting rid of those for some reason! Nothing weird there! :)

Parties are not and have never been required to have the candidates chosen by the electorate and the primary system is a recent invention. The idea is that it's to the party's benefit that they nominate the most popular candidate so therefore an election is the best way to gauge that popularity. On the other hand, if the party doesn't care about winning or doesn't actually serve its electorate then obviously the primary system would need to be rigged.

There's a reason the dems have historically not allowed popular sentiment to determine the nomination and why the gop has and that's that the democratic party is not and has never been a populist institution. This isn't in dispute. The most recent shift from the New Deal coalition to the donor class might make the uninformed believe that the New Deal coalition was a populist one but it was only such in contrast to what it's become and was a shotgun wedding at the time of its inception.

In short, primaries are allowed to be rigged affairs by design and if that becomes too much of a hassle, they'll simply stop having them at all and will transition to telling you who the candidate is. That's how the system was designed to work.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

etalian posted:

Watching the political equivalent of that famous Germany vs Brazil World Cup 7-1 match but thinking Brazil did pretty well in the whole thing.

vyelkin posted:

watching that match and thinking "well this puts brazil in a great position for four years from now"

I used to write about football and let me tell you the one I got to write three days after that was my second greatest on the subject

and the democrats really do give the same vibes

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

i'm grateful c-spam kept me firmly no joe when all my lib people were leaning on me about "okay but tiger champ ace slugger there is a FASCIST in the white house"

a fun thing to ask libs is if the camps are closed down yet

as brave permabanned poster maolover69 pointed out, libs are fascist in everything but fashion sense

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Seriously, the money angle is just her saving face. Candidates can survive running out of money as long as they can expect to get a decent placing in Iowa and NH and SC. Doing well turns the money right back on. She dropped because she knew she was going to get her rear end kicked in an embarrassing way and that such a significant lose would make it harder for Biden to pick her as VP

The why was Booker in it all the way until like 2 weeks before Iowa when he dropped out

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

animist posted:

as brave permabanned poster maolover69 pointed out, libs are fascist in everything but fashion sense

No they aren't, not every bad political ideology is fascist. Like seriously just read one of these definitions.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definitions_of_fascism

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

I thought Harris dropped because she was polling in third or fourth place in her home state and didn’t want to end up getting shellacked in California.

Including Yang. Also libs are social fascists.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I used to write about football and let me tell you the one I got to write three days after that was my second greatest on the subject

and the democrats really do give the same vibes

We'll get better in the future!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

You see 2016 was an intentional tank job to secure the #1 overall pick so we can rebuild the party into a winner!

"With the first pick in the 2020 draft, the Democrats select Joe Biden, Senator from MBNA."

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1460266347825405965

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

o word

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
give the democrats a break, they've only been in charge of the house for the past three years, how were they supposed to know you could introduce bills to do things?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Biden can't wait to veto that.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

vyelkin posted:

give the democrats a break, they've only been in charge of the house for the past three years, how were they supposed to know you could introduce bills to do things?

see this is why you gotta vote blue no matter who, you leftists just expect democrats to do things because they have the house AND the senate and AND the presidency

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I cannot imagine the Republicans giving the Dems a win on legalizing weed (assuming Biden would be smart enough to campaign on it with the party next year), so I have to believe there is some sorta poison pill bullshit in there.

Unless the Rs entire plan is to say "we introduced the bill" as a way to not let the Dems get credit. Should be funny to watch play out I guess.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Loucks posted:

it’s time to admit joe biden is an extraordinary politician

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The poison pill is a 3% tax instead of the 25% tax the dems wanted.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Loucks posted:

If the republican super majority of 2023 passes legalized weed over a biden veto then the Democrat party may so utterly die as to be the new Whig party.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

If the republican super majority of 2023 passes legalized weed over a biden veto then the Democrat party may so utterly die as to be the new Whig party.

the democrat party should've been banned in 1865, but here we are. better late than never?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

I cannot imagine the Republicans giving the Dems a win on legalizing weed (assuming Biden would be smart enough to campaign on it with the party next year), so I have to believe there is some sorta poison pill bullshit in there.

Unless the Rs entire plan is to say "we introduced the bill" as a way to not let the Dems get credit. Should be funny to watch play out I guess.

Well that’s the thing, Biden not only wouldn’t campaign on it, he’d almost certainly veto it if it Congress sent it to him. Which it wouldn’t, since that state of affairs makes *not* passing it a priority for Dem leadership (which lets R’s exploit the tension inherent in them trying to kill a highly popular policy). So it mostly just lets them score free political points and establish some credibility on the issue in advance of a potential 2024 presidency + congressional majorities, where such a policy would let them broaden their appeal at no real cost to themselves.

And, if, by some miracle, Biden completely reversed his lifelong habits and position, it would still let R’s take partial credit (not least because Biden would be falling over himself to serve at the altar of bipartisanship). Though even then they could probably contrive to delay passage and/or implementation until after it would do Biden any good.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

its true OP. you got 2000-2004 encore, time for 2012-2016 encore

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

remember saying kamala was a terrible candidate is racist and sexist

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/14/politics/kamala-harris-frustrating-start-vice-president/?utm_source=digg

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

source=digg. … busted bitch.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Smythe posted:

deep cut

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

biden was drafted to be the candidate and they pulled all the caucus app tricks and sprinkled all the heart attack powder in bernies coffee that they needed to win it was a fix from jump

They tried to make Pete happen as an alternative to Bernie and it didn't take, so they panicked and went with the elder statesman who stood next to the first black president and hoped voters would be dumb enough to confuse the two.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I never really bought that excuse honestly. You can keep the lights on and continue to make media appearances and barn storm and poo poo with not a ton of money. Nut jobs every cycle try. Obviously you can’t run a big team of staff, but you can stay in until you can notch a victory or two and the spigot turns back on. Pretty sure McCain ran out of money in the fall of 2007 with a longer stretch to go until the primary

But if you don’t expect the votes to materialize and the money to start coming in again that’s a different story

But also I am pretty sure Joe was always going to pick Kamala as VP—she just checked all the boxes he was looking to check

It wasn't just that she ran out of money, it was that her entire campaign was dysfunctional and riddled with more than the usual amount of nepotism. Her own sister, who she made campaign chair, was part of an internal battle with her campaign manager, and her staffers thought Kamala was an 'indecisive' candidate. You can't run a low money campaign and hope to coast to a revitalizing win when theres no ideological or charismatic glue and your staff are only there for the paycheck. Plus I think Harris was polling 3rd or 4th in all states at the time, so what win was even on the horizon?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/29/us/politics/kamala-harris-2020.html

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Smythe posted:

fuk don't tell lowtax

wait he's dead

and digg lives

owned

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
Folks I think the demonrats might be heading towards defeat here.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Smythe posted:

lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/14...ingawful.com%2F

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This just makes it seem like BBB definitely isn't happening. Well, at least we got alcolocks for cars!

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Really lol they let her speak at this event after all this

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

703 posted:

Really lol they let her speak at this event after all this

Of course they did she's served them loyally in their fight against progressivism, which was always the goal.

These are the same "people" who fought harder against Ilhan Omar than they ever did Trump.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA A

OHHH

WELP

LMAO

https://twitter.com/ReutersUS/status/1460376031613923330

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

for real though they see the money to be made and tobacco is tired of getting pinched out of the marketing on a national level
it was only a matter of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, and Democrats did it earlier. This bill is going nowhere.