Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You’ll know you’re past 2.0 if you know where the “SUCH DEVASTATION” line comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Think of the patch quests as an epilogue to the main story. ARR into Heavensward is the hardest because narratively they've spent a lot of time pointing you at Ishgard and most players are itching to go there and try out new jobs and such, but there's still good stuff in that transition. Also the pacing's a bit odd compared to later expansions (where they settled on wrapping the expansion up by X.3, then X.4 and 5 are lead-in top the next one) so it can feel really slow at parts. They've tried to trim that, but the slow parts still have story so they've been loathe to cut too much.

The Crystal Tower raid series is required to progress but the wall is put in awkwardly (it was added later), telling you to do the whole thing interrupting the plot. It's better to pace things out, do some of the raid when you get tired of MSQ, maybe a couple of hardmode dungeons (a whole bunch of them get unlocked) or Hildibrand even though those aren't mandatory. Don't try to blitz it, is what I'm saying.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Looking back I cant believe I actually slogged my way through the entire ARR and patches. I guess I was between jobs is why

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Crystal Tower also is a nice way to wash your mouth out doing some of the relatively tedious post-ARR content.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok. I'll get off my rear end and join a free company soon.

I decided to take a break from the MSQ so I decided to level a Samurai. Is levelling supposed to be this hard? The side quests I left behind give give 20-30k and I need millions.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Travic posted:

I decided to take a break from the MSQ so I decided to level a Samurai. Is levelling supposed to be this hard? The side quests I left behind give give 20-30k and I need millions.

Don't level secondary classes through yellow quests, level through dungeons (particularly daily roulettes)/Palace of the Dead

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Travic posted:

Side quest are bad for leveling. You want to run dungeons, PVP or floors 51-60 ofPotD for leveling.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ah ok. Thank you. I was getting worried.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also do your daily roulettes, Learning DR especially.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I was also hoping I could turn in my 400,000 XP MSQ quests on an alt, but apparently the developers already though of that. Whoops.

Whoa! I did an MSQ roulette and got a few million XP. Nice.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 15, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Yeah, the MSQ roulette gives you a ton of XP to make up for the fact you have to run through one of the last two 2.0 dungeons again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Travic posted:

I was also hoping I could turn in my 400,000 XP MSQ quests on an alt, but apparently the developers already though of that. Whoops.

Basically consider doing your roulettes, maybe do fates while you are queuing, and then pick the highest lvl dungeon you can after that if you still feel like levelling more that day

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Outside of later expansion zones sidequests don't scale to level so they're a very minor amount of exp. This might change with 6.0.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Travic posted:

Yeah the roulettes are really good xp. I’m the Alliance raid ones (24 players) are fun and also give tomestones and are like pub crawls with a bunch of strangers. Roulettes are where it’s at for leveling alt jobs for me - I find PoTD and such really boring.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Took a few dozen Coil of Bahamut Part 2 runs, but I finally got enough tomestones for the jacket.

So at this point, I've got about 5 days left of the free 30 days from buying the Complete Edition, and... I don't know if I'm going to buy time for the game just yet. I've not really played any other games since getting into FFXIV, and I want to break away from it for a while.

I probably jumped the gun a bit, because I wanted to register my key and start on the full version before Endswalker came out so I could jump on the bandwagon with everyone else (granted, that was before it got delayed). However I still haven't made it into Heavensward yet, so could have probably stuck with the trial version for longer (although the other reason I registered the key is because I hit the gil cap, and I was running out of inventory space). I think even if I focused on just the MSQ, it'd still take me until next year before I got to the point where I could actually start Endswalker.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also level 50+ beast tribe quests give reasonable (though hardly great, except the Lvl 80 one) XP... and are pretty good to do while quequing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The daily Frontlines is also big XP. And you get it for the class you queue as, even if you switch to something else as soon as you arrive in the duty.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I'll keep at it. Thanks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
how do it put this 1 materia i have into my sword, it dont understand it. it seems like it would fit and yet

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Vikar Jerome posted:

how do it put this 1 materia i have into my sword, it dont understand it. it seems like it would fit and yet

You either have to have the crafter for that type of weapon (I.E. carpenter for dragoon spears and bard bows) leveled up to the same range as the weapon you want to meld materia onto, or you have to find a Meld NPC (usually near the market board) to pay for it.

For self-melding, you also have to do a brief quest in Ul’dah when you first hit… 20 or 30 with a crafter class.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Regalingualius posted:

You either have to have the crafter for that type of weapon (I.E. carpenter for dragoon spears and bard bows) leveled up to the same range as the weapon you want to meld materia onto, or you have to find a Meld NPC (usually near the market board) to pay for it.

For self-melding, you also have to do a brief quest in Ul’dah when you first hit… 20 or 30 with a crafter class.

You absolutely do not need to have a relevent crafter job to meld different gear types, just one leveled enough to unlock self-melding. I was throwing materia into my WHM gear long before I even bothered unlocking weaver and goldsmith. And I still have weaver at lvl 1.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm getting burned out on this. There is just too much damned story content. It doesn't matter whether I like it or not, there's just so much and it's a ridiculous time commitment even when you try to break it up into smaller chunks. Like seriously this is absurd. A lot of it seems to be pointless nonsense like zoning out to speak to someone and then running back across the zone to speak to someone else. Go to this building in Ishgard...now go back to where the original character was...then back again. I already endured ARR for fucks sake, enough already. For an MMO that respects the time of its player in so many others ways, this really stands out in stark contrast.

I'm in this weird stage of progression where I'm post-HW but still can't progress my character until I finish multiple patches of story "content" in the 3.x range and it really sucks to be blunt. I have jobs in the mid 60s stuck on hold until I reach some arbitrary story point again. I wonder if they could hit 70+ before I get there, I guess anything is possible while I push this boulder uphill forever.

Maybe I should just buy a skip or something because I'm now feeling so annoyed that I'm not in a good frame of mind to enjoy the "story", all 600 hours of it. I enjoy playing the game more than I enjoy staring at cutscenes and doing filler so perhaps I'm the ideal candidate for skips.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
oh my god, shout out to the player during this optional duty dungeon i thought id try while the food cooks, casually and friendly letting me know that me tanking moving around is causing dps problems and that the limit break is shared :eyepop: im level 48 and did not know this lmao.

ive been spamming attacks anad moving around targets for dramatic fight RP reasons and using up the limit break soon as it hit. had no idea. :negative:

they were a good sport tho, i think if this was anywhere else i'd get shat on or something

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm getting burned out on this. There is just too much damned story content. It doesn't matter whether I like it or not, there's just so much and it's a ridiculous time commitment even when you try to break it up into smaller chunks. Like seriously this is absurd. A lot of it seems to be pointless nonsense like zoning out to speak to someone and then running back across the zone to speak to someone else. Go to this building in Ishgard...now go back to where the original character was...then back again. I already endured ARR for fucks sake, enough already. For an MMO that respects the time of its player in so many others ways, this really stands out in stark contrast.

I'm in this weird stage of progression where I'm post-HW but still can't progress my character until I finish multiple patches of story "content" in the 3.x range and it really sucks to be blunt. I have jobs in the mid 60s stuck on hold until I reach some arbitrary story point again. I wonder if they could hit 70+ before I get there, I guess anything is possible while I push this boulder uphill forever.

Maybe I should just buy a skip or something because I'm now feeling so annoyed that I'm not in a good frame of mind to enjoy the "story", all 600 hours of it. I enjoy playing the game more than I enjoy staring at cutscenes and doing filler so perhaps I'm the ideal candidate for skips.

sakaguchi got through all it in a month. you can do it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The Gunslinger posted:

At the end of the day, that is and always will be the majority of the game. The 3.x story content is also regarded to be among the best, only surpassed by Shadowbringers, so if that's not doing for you, it might be the wrong game for you. Even if you do a skip, you have a lot to go through.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The 3.X patch MSQs also do a substantial amount of table setting for both Stormblood and Shadowbringers itself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

While I wouldn't recommend skipping the post-HW content as that's the real conclusion to Heavensward's plotline and some long-term setup for Shadowbringers, which you can't skip yet (skips only take you to the start of the most current expac's content and level range), if you're genuinely enjoying the rest of the game that isn't the MSQ, then uh. Welp, you do you I guess. In terms of actual quality I would rank the Dragonsong War arc (3.1-3.3) higher than Heavensward proper so if you're getting burned out there then there's not a lot I can say.

When people say "the game might not be for you" it sounds dismissive but they actually mean the game might not be built on a design philosophy that caters to your tastes. If you like the rest of the game enough that you're enjoying it in spite of that, that's an entirely legitimate way to play.

But before actually going forward with buying a skip, some notes:

As far as character progression goes, Job Classes don't really get anything from doing 62-68 Job Quests, you do get a new ability at 70 but that's it. They regret gating so many abilities behind quest content because it makes reworking a job that much harder, especially in the HW level range. So you can just keep going with those classes and, heck, just move on into the 70's. They'll get their Shadowbringers capstone at 80 too. I know a guy who got multiple classes to 80 before getting to Idyllshire; he stalled out on story but kept running daily roulettes for like a month. He doesn't really mind it since, well, all content is level sync'ed if you're running it normally anyway. The Job Quests you can't access yet are all just about getting new story content for that job class rather than new abilities except for the Stormblood capstone.

And if you're looking for duties to unlock, while you're in the post-HW content you could go ahead and unlock the Alexander normal raid series, the Sky Pirate alliance raid series, and the Warring Triad trial series. There's actually a wealth of content you can do right now that doesn't require a skip to access.

All told I would recommend taking a breather and not feeling that you're being held back by MSQ gating. The content you can't access yet will always be there and thanks to roulettes will always be relevant and populated, so there's no real rush unless you're specifically trying not to be spoiled by people talking about Endwalker come Dec. 3, but that again is a concern for story engagement reasons rather than gameplay.

People aren't joking when they say the story is the game.

unrelated:

Vikar Jerome posted:

oh my god, shout out to the player during this optional duty dungeon i thought id try while the food cooks, casually and friendly letting me know that me tanking moving around is causing dps problems and that the limit break is shared :eyepop: im level 48 and did not know this lmao.

ive been spamming attacks anad moving around targets for dramatic fight RP reasons and using up the limit break soon as it hit. had no idea. :negative:

they were a good sport tho, i think if this was anywhere else i'd get shat on or something

lmfao

good on that guy

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Xarbala posted:

When people say "the game might not be for you" it sounds dismissive but they actually mean the game might not be built on a design philosophy that caters to your tastes. If you like the rest of the game enough that you're enjoying it in spite of that, that's an entirely legitimate way to play.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be dismissive or anything. XIV is a hundreds of hours long single player RPG first, MMO second. Every expansion is another 100 hours of running around talking to people, with a spattering of dungeons and group content. Every patch beyond is another few hours worth of MSQ, with whatever dungeon or raid comes along with it.

If the raid and group content is that enticing, by all means get a skip. It'll get you in front of Shadowbringers, which you'll still have to get through before you can really unlock anything new. And structurally, it's more of the same. Run, talk, watch. Some people won't like that, and that's fine. The raid content is great stuff, but the game puts it's story first.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yep, pull and plant if you're tanking. Ranged physical are the only archetype not screwed by a tank going full acrobatics or stutter pulling. Limit break is melee dps only, final boss at ~10% only, except in special circumstances

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
You can also use it as ranged/magical DPS on big packs for a pretty hefy chunk of dps.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Grimoire posted:

Yep, pull and plant if you're tanking. Ranged physical are the only archetype not screwed by a tank going full acrobatics or stutter pulling. Limit break is melee dps only, final boss at ~10% only, except in special circumstances

Casters and ranged doing limit breaks in dungeon is fine (and better) than a simple melee limit break on a boss. 2 mobs breaks even, anything more is a dps gain. And if the pull was a decent size, it's far more dangerous than bosses are. Other than that it really depends. I see a lot more value out of healer lb3s in pug content than melee lb3s.

Tank LB, yeah, is super niche.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Melee LB is good for most trial/raid bosses but you should let the ranged dps LB any big megapulls since no boss in a dungeon is going to threaten a wipe with pure damage the way a wall to wall pull might.

If there's an add phase in a trial fight with multiple very strong adds in a tight dps check enrage, though, you want to let the ranged dps LB them since it's probably better than meleeing the boss.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I can’t express to someone enough that if you buy a skip to “get to the good stuff” you’d might as well not play the game. This is very story centered and if the ARR slog (and yes a lot of it is just a terrible slog I will never deny it, but it has massive payout) is enough to through you off so much you don’t even want to do it. Please go do something else. All a level skip will give you is a confusing mess of events with a class you don’t know how to play and a combat progression you haven’t learned piecemeal. It’s a terrible idea and you should absolutely not but a skip. I implore you.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There's a use case for someone who is solely interested in endgame raiding. Anyone with basic MMO experience could probably start from level 50 or 60 with most jobs and be fine, and a level 80 kit isn't usually that much more complex.

But yeah, if you're at all interested in the story skipping ahead like that would probably just end up being unsatisfying.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i took like a year long break between ARR and the expansions and would pretty much recommend that unreservedly

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

You can do whatever you want. Yeah, this is a heavily story focused MMO but people enjoy different aspects of this game at varying degrees. If you have an idea of what you want out of the end game and it looks appealing to you then get that bread. A lot of people play this game mostly just to raid.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

People have said a bunch, but there is something worth noting: if you're only just starting the 3.1+ content, you might be expecting a similar pace to ARR post-2.0. It's not: the quests are fewer, denser, and have narrative purpose.

All that said:

Yes, there's going to be a lot of talking. That's a consequence of the game's story doing its part to justify the gameplay that arises.

Yes, there's going to be a lot of your character going places to talk to people and do things. That's a consequence of the game making the player character a legitimate impactful character in their own right.

And yes, there's a lot of stuff. That's what happens when you're a late comer to content that was dripfed over literal years but also is narratively required for later content to have meaning, both in terms of story and gameplay.

If you're trying to rush to get to "the good stuff" then don't. If you're thinking "well, people praise Shadowbringers a bunch so I'll like that better" except that's not how it works: a lot of the plot points in Shadowbringers are built upon stuff established earlier, and the same goes for characterization, and the same goes for gameplay. Later content does tend to be better designed as a consequence of iteration, but the difference between Dusk Vigil and Holminster Switch or Alexander and Eden's Promise is not so sharp as to suddenly change your mind on everything.

Go do other stuff. Maybe other stuff in FF14, maybe other stuff in a different game. The game isn't some training routine where if you continuously push your limits and suffer that tiny bit more you'll see incremental improvements. If you're not having fun, go do what seems fun. Sometimes that's getting some popcorn and watching Catholic Elves deal with dragons, and sometimes that's going and firing up Mario 64 or something.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The only MSQ stuff I have skipped was in Stormblood, especially the nomads that were a massive snoozefest(not helped by Stormblood having the weakest post 3.0 story). That is why I like FF14, the story is great and everything is more relaxed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ok so I'm trying to glamor the terrible looking samurai Shire piece into something less terrible looking, and apparently you can't glamor higher level base items with the looks from items with a lower item level?

Is this a thing? Because it is absolute bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McCloud posted:

Ok so I'm trying to glamor the terrible looking samurai Shire piece into something less terrible looking, and apparently you can't glamor higher level base items with the looks from items with a lower item level?

Is this a thing? Because it is absolute bullshit

Correct. The appearance has to be the same level or lower.