Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It took 21 years but the pusher bot finally got him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I cried over lowtax when i found out about this

Part of me wants to deny it's even about him but my trauma wrt suicide but nah i googled him to do some "tribute art" like it was gonna be abstract and silly but i was looking at pics of him in the hospital and such because its some of the top google results for me, and i just lost it. Like a year ago I was worried about him and poo poo, i wanted him to get better and all that lol

Then ya know *gestures to all the bad poo poo that came to light* all that

But I mostly just see a broken kinda pathetic guy who lost his grip on life and ended up harming his loved ones in a pretty brutal gently caress-you on the way out, but I'm still weirdly sad and i keep oscillating between that sadness and that old reflexive desire to make more demon spine-pegging jokes

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

cenotaph posted:

It took 21 years but the pusher bot finally got him.

pretty sure it was shover bot since that’s the one that pushes

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

conde nast was a lot better off buying reddit. trying to wrangle 2006 SA into something reddit sized now would never have worked.

it would have owned if lowtax had sold and nast just ended up losing all that money because no one wants to use this site

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
rest in loving piss and poo poo you loving abuser

thought you were slowbeef for the longest time, but that guy loves his family and children

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Riot Bimbo posted:

I cried over lowtax when i found out about this

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it comes for us all.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

shocking that shadmans in jail for assault and not hte much more obvious thing

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

shocking that shadmans in jail for assault and not hte much more obvious thing

It's like when they got Al Capone on tax evasion.

I said this in the gbs thread but I'm still amazed at how many people outside this website I discovered to be secret or ex goons after lowtax died.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's like when they got Al Capone on tax evasion.

I said this in the gbs thread but I'm still amazed at how many people outside this website I discovered to be secret or ex goons after lowtax died.

idk why that would be surprising. pretty much everyone over the age of 30, that also had an internet connection at the time, grew up with it sort of being The Thing in the dot-com/early 2000s era huddled over a lovely school library computer reading poo poo. there wasn't a whole lot of options. for many most just drifted or didn't keep up after the invasion of iraq or katrina and was more like "oh that's still around??" but a good portion of anyone online had interacted with it to varying degrees

the other options included like penny arcade forums. and while the dudes were vastly more successful than lowtax leveraging it into expos and game developer poo poo, it also saw massive massive falloff after 2009 is about as dead gay as these forums

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Nov 15, 2021

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

idk why that would be surprising. pretty much everyone over the age of 30, that also had an internet connection at the time, grew up with it sort of being The Thing in the dot-com/early 2000s era huddled over a lovely school library computer reading poo poo. there wasn't a whole lot of options. for many most just drifted or didn't keep up after the invasion of iraq or katrina and was more like "oh that's still around??" but a good portion of anyone online had interacted with it to varying degrees

the other options included like penny arcade forums. and while the dudes were vastly more successful than lowtax leveraging it into expos and game developer poo poo, it also saw massive massive falloff after 2009 is about as dead gay as these forums

yeah I’m sure it varies from place to place because things spread more word of mouth in that era, but growing up in madison it seemed like basically everyone around my age either read the front page, had a lurker account or posted regularly. I swear in the 2000-2006 era we had the highest number of goons per capita anywhere.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Hedenius posted:

News Corp bought MySpace for $580 million in 2005. I have no trouble believing that Lowtax would be deluded enough to think he’d get a better offer.

pretty sure Tom from Myspace was the only early internet community leader to escape unscathed, that is with both a shitload of money and soul intact

anyone heard from Stile lately. be shocked if that freak is still alive

Filthy Hans posted:

getfiscal is a much better twitterer than he ever was as a goon

its the same contrarian gimmick he and other goons refined in DnD and CineD, but its a lot funnier when unleased on a bunch of twitter normies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If we had bought the Mangosteens this wouldn't have happenend.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

oh god they have to bury him at sea like bin laden because otherwise mangosteening the tombstone will become a tiktok meme

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

etalian posted:

If we had bought the Mangosteens this wouldn't have happenend.

Wait, you guys haven't been eating only Mangosteen all these years? What the hell?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Wait, you guys haven't been eating only Mangosteen all these years? What the hell?

oh thank god im not the only one. are you weirded out too about how orange your poops are? do yours glow in the dark too?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

did we figure out how he died yet

leonard j krabs represented him in court

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The real tragedy is that he didn't live to see Whataburger finally open its doors in his hometown

https://twitter.com/MoDOT_KC/status/1460292390313472000

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Whataburger is seriously the only thing i miss about texas and id like to think their breakfast menu couldve saved lowtax

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

holy poo poo lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Riot Bimbo posted:

Whataburger is seriously the only thing i miss about texas and id like to think their breakfast menu couldve saved lowtax

They moved in awfully quick in the aftermath. Maybe they didn't want to take that chance.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my favorite part of the memorial thread was the people complaining about how college libs with dyed hair had taken over the forums. its extremely funny to imagine being the kind of person who thinks these people have paper-thin skin and require safe spaces to function, but also utterly conquered one of the edgiest places on the internet and sent you into exile

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

oh right there's an emoticon specifically for that :umberto:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Nix Panicus posted:

This is not a joke. Richard Kyanka shot himself to death because his divorce was finalized with a finding of domestic abuse (by him) and maliciously spending down savings to avoid child support. He left no note or final words for his children.

really one of the saddest things I've ever heard of

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

same. well i also miss those cheap oyster dive bars by gulf and hebs habanero guac

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

my favorite part of the memorial thread was the people complaining about how college libs with dyed hair had taken over the forums. its extremely funny to imagine being the kind of person who thinks these people have paper-thin skin and require safe spaces to function, but also utterly conquered one of the edgiest places on the internet and sent you into exile

the best was when they made "triggered" and "attack helicopter" jokes while lamenting how unfunny this place is now.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

really one of the saddest things I've ever heard of

The tweet before he croaked also implied that the mental meltdown suicide kicked into high gear since he believed he had a full proof case against his lying cheating wife.

The divorce court made the opposite ruling.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nix Panicus posted:

This is not a joke. Richard Kyanka shot himself to death because his divorce was finalized with a finding of domestic abuse (by him) and maliciously spending down savings to avoid child support. He left no note or final words for his children.

there was a post in the memorial thread that I agree with which basically said Lowtax died a long, long time ago and what was left was a golem powered by spite and self-hatred, and now it has finally ceased to animate. this is perhaps unfairly dehumanizing to the man but he really did seem like a shadow of his former self

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

there was a post in the memorial thread that I agree with which basically said Lowtax died a long, long time ago and what was left was a golem powered by spite and self-hatred, and now it has finally ceased to animate. this is perhaps unfairly dehumanizing to the man but he really did seem like a shadow of his former self
more or less. the outcome was largely pre-determined awhile ago and it wasn't likely going to end any other way. he was always very thin-skinned (e.g. rage bans for anyone making the slightest bit of fun at him) but his entire ethos died awhile ago. probably when he got addicted to pills.

i liked this one

Bicyclops posted:

embarrassing amount of :words: but:

Lowtax dying kept me awake a little after seeing the news, which surprised me. I paged through the FYAD thread and (the last page of) the GBS thread and tried to place what the feeling was, and I think it's like this: someone you went to high school with died. From the obit, you can't tell if it was an OD or a suicide, and you haven't been in contact because he turned out to be enough of a shithead that you, and your mutual friends, all wrote him off, over time. And it's not a surprise, you always knew it would end this way. But still. You were just close enough that you feel like you have to put in an appearance. You see a ton of people you haven't seen in over a decade who are either in the same boat or just moved out of town before he started shedding friends. You realize, from seeing all these vaguely remembered people, that he was kind of a social hub for awhile. You wonder how he could have gone so wrong that all of them gave up on trying to help him (there were so many people trying to help him!), that the ones who were closer to him actually have sourer memories. Eventually it becomes uncomfortable to talk about him except when reliving a few happy memories (and even then, with a long awkward silence after the laughs), so people just catch up on their friends' lives. Maybe a few people reconnect and realize they shouldn't have drifted apart. But... probably they just say that they should do that.

I hope his children have all that they need and that the way he lived causes as little trauma as possible for them. I hope that all of his exes think of him very little. I hope that his parents got most of their grieving out of the way already. It's hard for most people to miss him, because we wrote him off a long time ago, but you feel bad for the people who were bound to him by circumstance. I can't wish for him to rest in peace, because he sure as hell isn't peaceful, I just hope that the living can ignore his tremors.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I watched like five minutes of his Gaming Garbage stuff, and maybe I got the worst five minutes or maybe he was doing a bit, but what there was felt in line with this

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
what a piece of poo poo he always was, both in life and death

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Still dead

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the internet made him stupid

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The funniest part to me was how a bunch of the returning old-timers still post in the worst old-style way possible. Like, what have they been doing as the internet changed? If you decided to come back and poo poo on the forums for becoming SJWs then obviously you didn't mature and log off in the past 15 years. Did they just all move to some obscure subreddit where time stood still?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Snake Dance posted:

The funniest part to me was how a bunch of the returning old-timers still post in the worst old-style way possible. Like, what have they been doing as the internet changed? If you decided to come back and poo poo on the forums for becoming SJWs then obviously you didn't mature and log off in the past 15 years. Did they just all move to some obscure subreddit where time stood still?

4chan, most likely

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
If you’re upset at the state of a community that hasn’t been what you preferred for over a decade, then you’re just a loser. Vote 1 and move on.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I, for one, am disappointed that the tone of the internet and culture in general has changed over the last ten years and I can no longer use racial slurs in my posts. This is the result of insidious foreign actors working to weaken my beloved forums that I don't ever visit or participate in. Even though I'm not upset and obviously not crying right now, please don't post that I'm upset, in this 5,000 word essay I will demonstrate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
technically outside a few forums racial slurs have always been banned. that was one of the few good forum rules lowtax established way back when.